• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny states he "learned nothing" from the sidelines in Cinci game.

Sorry TDX27, this post is a little laughable as well. Nothing personable as I enjoy your post(s) a lot.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER is the only 4 year starter that I can remember of recent times. Anyone further back than that, seems outdated And different coaching.

Pickett needs to show right away at camp there is something there. Currently he has a third string QB who out-played kenny’s entire career.

Open and fair QB competition would be a must, but Coach Tomlin has made that impossible to the point of Doubtful that Mason will return.

Time will tell.

Salute the nation
I hear ya but there are people on here who have been whining about KP since before he even started a game. That is what is so comical. They will whine about anything and everything. We don't even know if they will sign Rudolph. He may decide to go to the highest bidder. The Steelers would be foolish to offer him any more than Trubisky was going to make but include incentives. Does anyone on here really think Tomlin will give up on KP after 1.5 seasons starting? All we have to do is look at Bush and Harvin to know the answer to that. Bush got all 4 years and Harvin has 3 years and counting.

Not everyone that says Pickett doesn't have it is a hater. He'll get every opportunity, as Hoke says, 1st rounders get 9 lives, but that doesn't change my mind, he isn't a franchise guy, career back up at best.

Hot take: i kinda like pissed-off Pickett.

This sounds like the guy who has a chip on his shoulder and that guy kicked some *** last year. lol
U mean a guy other than Pickett? Because I'm wondering if we were watching the same games?

Still don't see him as a whiny entitled kid.

He supported Rudy that has been documented. Way too much was made from that press conference... seriously.
That’s entirely fair as we’re all entitled to our opinions, we’ll just disagree on that

To me until he shows something on the field the more important part of that assertion was the “without the talent to back it up”

Fans can look by whiny, entitled and several other things if you have talent to back it up…something he has not shown yet

A franchise QB can get away with a lot of things that the 36th rated QB can’t

Here is my question. At what point is Pickett responsible for his own performance? Do you wait until everything else is considered near perfect before you can truly evaluate him? That seems to be what some are advocating.

I mean, we’ve blamed everything and everyone else to this point. The HC, the OC, the owners, the oline, the receivers. That’s a lot of firing and replacing for a guy that isn’t showing a lot.

I want the guy to succeed. If he is successful, the Steelers are more fun to watch and that much closer to a championship. Pickett succeeding is preferable to starting over with another rookie. That said…….how long do you wait? Another year? Two? Five?

The Steelers are in a tough spot with Pickett, especially when you consider this is probably the most QB rich draft in years. Whatever decision they make, hope it’s the right one.
Just looking at who’s in the AFC, on his best day Pickett is maybe the 10th best QB in the conference. This team is looooong way from competing for a championship no matter who they hire at OC.

There is this misguided idea that LittleHands is going to miraculously see things he didn't previously with a new OC. The guy doesn't get through his progressions and that is one of the bigger issues separating the upper echelon of QBs to the next tier, along with arm strength. I would say he lacks in both areas and we desperately reached for a position when they could've stuck with Rudolph and likely had very similar results. Maybe he proves me wrong, he's not terrible but statistically he is a poor QB and a wasted first round pick.

Open and fair QB competition would be a must, but Coach Tomlin has made that impossible to the point of Doubtful that Mason will return.
Here, here, what he said. Shades has made a fair QB competition impossible, that goes without discussion; no one can deny that. In 2022 he claimed it was an "open competition" but it was abundantly obvious there was not ANYTHING open about it. Mason was never given even a prayer at winning it, was never given a shot of any kind. Just another blatant Shades' lie is all that ever was: The 1st-round pick and the guy making all the $ were the only considerations. And the 1st-round pick wasn't even considered an actual contender until Mitch got hurt/sucked @ss badly. Oh and nice "party" Mitch, where QBs got run over at 5:00 AM wasted on hardcore drugs.

Oh, we never heard anything else about that. I wonder why?

There is this misguided idea that LittleHands is going to miraculously see things he didn't previously with a new OC. The guy doesn't get through his progressions and that is one of the bigger issues separating the upper echelon of QBs to the next tier, along with arm strength. I would say he lacks in both areas and we desperately reached for a position when they could've stuck with Rudolph and likely had very similar results. Maybe he proves me wrong, he's not terrible but statistically he is a poor QB and a wasted first round pick.
Bingo, and add to that he rarely steps up in the pocket, always tries to spin out of the pocket and usually into pressure, but you aren't allowed to say any of this because of the OC, next year it will be "well you have to give him more time, it's a new system/OC".

Bingo, and add to that he rarely steps up in the pocket, always tries to spin out of the pocket and usually into pressure, but you aren't allowed to say any of this because of the OC, next year it will be "well you have to give him more time, it's a new system/OC".
Always an excuse. The elite QBs find open receivers. Pickett just didn't do so. Saying it was Canada's fault when there were open receivers just tells me we have the wrong QB. We're stuck in this cycle much like between Bradshaw and Ben where we will be middle of the pack, maybe bad for a year or two until they can get another franchise QB.

Until then they need to work on the areas of need, OL, DL, MLB, and DB depth. Lots of holes on this team to fill.

Rudolf may not be the answer, but he may be a steppingstone till next year's draft. I see KP8 flaws as well, but give him a fair shake as well as Rudolf..........

short leash and pull the plug if need be.

We can't keep wasting elite player's careers, WATT / Fitz / CAM Twighlight / ------------------------

Salute the nation

Pickett needs to show right away at camp there is something there. Currently he has a third string QB who out-played kenny’s entire career.
In fairness, Rudy should never have been 3rd string, as he out played #1 & #2.
I wouldn’t come back if it were me. I would let Tomlin LIE TO SOMEONE ELSE
Time will tell.

Salute the nation

In fairness, Rudy should never have been 3rd string, as he out played #1 & #2.

I wouldn’t come back if it were me. I would let Tomlin LIE TO SOMEONE ELSE
I don't really know or does anyone for that matter who outplayed who before Rudy's insertion into the lineup. There is too many things we don't see. Closed practices, level of competition in training camp, etc.

We do know what we saw when he did play. Improved play at the position. Anything beyond that is simply unknown.

Is it possible he outplayed 1 or both? Sure. I just don't think we should stamp unknowns beyond the word possible.

If I had to stamp anything I would say Kenny's play declined. Rudy already has shown redzone issues but long ball capable.

I also know when you have a first rounder any team is going to want to see what they have. Which opens the door for Rudy to have possibly performed better early, but again the word is possibly.

Last edited:
I don't really know or does anyone for that matter who outplayed who before Rudy's insertion into the lineup. There is too many things we don't see. Closed practices, level of competition in training camp, etc.

We do know what we saw when he did play. Improved play at the position. Anything beyond that is simply unknown.

Is it possible he outplayed 1 or both? Sure. I just don't think we should stamp unknowns beyond the word possible.
Mark Kaboly who covers the Steelers, said that Rudolph looked the best out of the QB's in mini-camps and training camp the past two seasons for what it's worth, but let's face it, Rudolph could've never missed a pass and Pickett was still going to start because he was a first round pick.

Mark Kaboly who covers the Steelers, said that Rudolph looked the best out of the QB's in mini-camps and training camp the past two seasons for what it's worth, but let's face it, Rudolph could've never missed a pass and Pickett was still going to start because he was a first round pick.

That is his opinion in what he got to see without the variables I mentioned and he is entitled to it. But true Kenny was going to get a look and rightfully so.

If I had to stamp anything I would say Kenny's play declined. Rudy already has shown redzone issues but long ball capable.

I also know when you have a first rounder any team is going to want to see what they have. Which opens the door for Rudy to have possibly performed better early, but again the word is possibly.
The one thing I wonder about our RZ efficiency, and KP’s and Rudy’s in it, is how much scheme and play calling are factoring into the lack of success there

In the condensed field play calling and scheme become even more crucial. I think most would agree the play calling when we get down there somehow becomes even more predictable

The one thing I wonder about our RZ efficiency, and KP’s and Rudy’s in it, is how much scheme and play calling are factoring into the lack of success there

In the condensed field play calling and scheme become even more crucial. I think most would agree the play calling when we get down there somehow becomes even more predictable
Of course playcalling plays into it. I am sure it can be improved with better coaches/schemes.

Also it is documented that Tomlin said he played more aggressive when Rudy was inserted. Which plays into my season long belief that he handcuffed KP. Not that he didn't need to play better he did and does.

It is no doubt in my mind that man has handcuffed every QB on this roster at one time or another.

I really don't think Mike makes critical moment sound judgements. Which lends to Rudy possibly playing better than one or both. That possible is still there. He is not putting this roster in the best position to succeed.We have seen it over and over again. Players leaving then playing better.

One of the biggest reasons I want a change. I don't believe Mike will put this team in position to win another SB or even get the team to one...

Just looking at who’s in the AFC, on his best day Pickett is maybe the 10th best QB in the conference. This team is looooong way from competing for a championship no matter who they hire at OC.

Now that the RUDY made his presence known, where would he land in the AFC best QB challenge ?

Salute the nation

Now that the RUDY made his presence known, where would he land in the AFC best QB challenge ?

Salute the nation
Not the worst but he is low on the totem pole as are all the Steelers QBs. He is better than Flacco. I think better than the bungles backup. Probably better than most often the backups that played late in the season. I am not sure I can give him more than that. A high end backup QB.

Which is much better than a low end third stringer which I thought of him previously.

I hear ya but there are people on here who have been whining about KP since before he even started a game. That is what is so comical.
Well, what's not so comical is KP's play since he has been the starter. They say ("they" being NFL personnel") that by Thanksgiving of their 2nd year, a QB should be showing their true colors in the modern age. Well, when you apply that to KP, he has shown nothing but horrid play. 62% completion and a career 13 TD-13 ints. And for THAT we are supposed to think he is some kind of great QB ready to break out? Puullllleeeeezzzze. He has been garbage and keeps getting worse. He locks onto his primary target at the snap of the ball and doesn't know how to look off a target to save his life. And when he DOES find an open target, he throws a totally inaccurate pass half the time. And the let's not forget how he gets "happy feet" and runs from pressure that's not even there. He's just great, I tell you.

Until Tomlin is willing to allow ANY QB to play a real game, without holding them back, you will never know what you have. The best HOF QB’s turn the ball over, the point is to score more than TO’s. Ben had multiple games with TO’s, he just over came them more often than not. Ben’s whole game early on was feast or famine.

Tomlin’s approach is to play the odds by not turning the ball over at the expense of scoring (100% play to not lose mindset). When you do this in the regular season, against all levels of competition, you get non losing seasons. When you do this against playoff caliber teams, you lose. This is what we have seen for 10+ years. He loses routinely to bad teams because those teams are kicking and clawing to win games, Tomlin just tries not to lose. I firmly believe that that mindset is responsible for at least 4 automatic losses a year. If he had not hitched his career to this philosophy, he would have passed the General 2-3 years ago, instead of MAYBE in 2-3 years from now.

You asked what was up with the attitudes. I told you why. It’s worse now because social media gives them a spotlight 24/7 basically.

Add in the nflpa/union and players getting by on minimal effort. You get the product you have now.

This is the biggest problem.

Does his Ds give up in average of 40+ points his last 5 playoff games? Tomlin's do, that what his last 5 Ds have done the last 5 playoff games. Are Cousin's that bad?

They will never beat the best teams with the defense they run now. Hell they can't even beat the ****** teams. Any Joe Blow qb torches them routinely.

This is the biggest problem.
This is why I really don’t get caught up emotionally over a bunch of rich guys playing a game.

It’s fun to follow but there is a line with fandom imo. Knowing these guys are making money and looking out for them. I dont blame them. Get what you can in a short career on average