• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny states he "learned nothing" from the sidelines in Cinci game.

Pickett probably rushed into that surgery and rehabbed with the assumption he'd return to the starting lineup. Instead he got benched for the biggest games of the year. While he was out, the body language and performance of many of the offensive starters improved. For the guys that return next season, how are they going to feel if Pickett goes right back into the lineup without a challenge? I can't imagine they'll be happy and it'll be negative body language at the first sign of struggles with the offense.
Pickett most likely had the surgery because he thought that the backup quarterback play wouldn't improve upon what he was doing, and he'd be back in the saddle in a few weeks. And it didn't get better with Trubisky. But Mason's performance took most of us by surprise, and KP was probably no exception.

There's a lot that's going to go on before now and the start of next season. New offensive coordinator, probably new competition at the QB position, changes on the offensive line. But Tomlin, as always, will be there.

I don't care what happened, the guy you want as your franchise QB shouldn't act like that. Mason played better in those 3 games than Pickett as in the past 25 games, if you're Pickett you don't pout and act like a 3 year old that had your candy stolen, step the F up and get better.

So the offensive line was trash for 23 out of 24 starts, flipping the switch for the first game Canada was gone? Yeah, I don't think so. They had some good performances. Kenny's happy feet have always been an issue with him and its worse with him than most other QBs. Pickett had a strong ground game the latter part of the season last year. Pickett is a first-round pick, not a mid or late rounder. You are telling me you need to give him a great OC, a great offensive line with impeccable protection, a great running game, and I'm assuming better effort from the receivers. Why did we invest in a QB in the first round if he needs perfect conditions to succeed?

The Steelers went down 21-0 to the Bills because of turnovers and the defense forgets how to play as soon as the playoffs start.
All you have to do is watch the games to know the OL has been one of the worst for 3 years. The first 2 (1 being with Ben), they were horrible all around. This year they started to get pretty good at run blocking halfway through the season or so when Jones replaced Chuks. But, they still sucked at pass protection. KP was not the only QB the past 3 years to be running for his life. Ben, Trubisky, KP, and even Rudolph to an extent didn't have the best pass protection. Moore sucks at LT even though he is better than Chuks ever was. Chuks is mediocre at best at LT. Jones was better but still made some rookie mistakes, plus he was just learning to play RT. Cole has been horrible snapping the ball and mediocre at in pass protection as well. KP does need to learn to trust his OL but they still have a way to go to have one he can blindly give that trust to.

perhaps some of the Diva attitude from the WRs earlier in the year was about their not wanting KFP as QB1, combined with not getting looks from him.

If GP and DJ knew in camp that Mason was a better QB, better at getting them balls and driving the O, then some of the early season whining makes more sense. That doesn't excuse the poor attitude, but the combination of shitttty playcalling, wrong QB and then not even getting looked at on most routes because of those two things.....well that would be hard for any player to stomach, especially ones vying for WR1.

I don't care what happened, the guy you want as your franchise QB shouldn't act like that. Mason played better in those 3 games than Pickett as in the past 25 games, if you're Pickett you don't pout and act like a 3 year old that had your candy stolen, step the F up and get better.
But, but, but, but when Nae-Nae punches people and Pickens decides not to block on a running play - their franchise status is SO confirmed.

Tomlin pulled a ***** move and now, Kenny is pissed-off about it. Rightly so.

PS. - You LEAD BY EXAMPLE. it was perfectly fine for Mike Tomlin to walk away and not talk to the press but if Pickett does that, he is a 3-year old? uh huh

All you have to do is watch the games to know the OL has been one of the worst for 3 years. The first 2 (1 being with Ben), they were horrible all around. This year they started to get pretty good at run blocking halfway through the season or so when Jones replaced Chuks. But, they still sucked at pass protection. KP was not the only QB the past 3 years to be running for his life. Ben, Trubisky, KP, and even Rudolph to an extent didn't have the best pass protection. Moore sucks at LT even though he is better than Chuks ever was. Chuks is mediocre at best at LT. Jones was better but still made some rookie mistakes, plus he was just learning to play RT. Cole has been horrible snapping the ball and mediocre at in pass protection as well. KP does need to learn to trust his OL but they still have a way to go to have one he can blindly give that trust to.
None of that changes that Pickett's biggest weakness in college was poor pocket management and scrambling into pressure, even with a clean pocket. That has translated to the pros. It's the single biggest thing holding him back as a legitimate NFL starter right now and it's not something you can coach out of him, it's a personal mentality that he'll have to overcome and that is going to be very hard to him to do since it's his default instinct.

None of that changes that Pickett's biggest weakness in college was poor pocket management and scrambling into pressure, even with a clean pocket. That has translated to the pros. It's the single biggest thing holding him back as a legitimate NFL starter right now and it's not something you can coach out of him, it's a personal mentality that he'll have to overcome and that is going to be very hard to him to do since it's his default instinct.
I think this is true. Can it also be true that Pickett has shown glimpses of performance where he is the best quarterback in the NFL when facing pressure?! There is data that points to exactly that.

Is it plausible to run an offense around this? long-term? i don't know.

I am more concerned about Kennys injuries than anything. Doesn't matter how he progresses if he can't stay on the field. I do believe his happy feet can be fixed by getting a better oline and just coaching. In the preseason Pickett stood in the pocket fine and seemed to be in total control. Once the season started he got shell shocked early and had trouble recovering. With that being said he was still able to pull out some wins late so i still think there is something there.

1. Okay, so one good game out of 24 starts for Pickett.
2. Pickett had games where he didn't face pressure in the past and couldn't produce points. Why does everyone claim Pickett faced insane pressure every single game?
3. Mason had an INT against Buffalo, something Pickett doesn't do. However, he also threw for 2 TDs, something Pickett doesn't do.

Completely agree with your last paragraph. The main guys he lost in the locker room are the receivers and it's not because of any attitude issues, it's because of his inability to get his receivers the ball to allow them to make plays. DJ already said he wants Rudolph as the starter next season.
And DJ is a guy that Lenny consistently locks onto
George should be backing the bus back up over Lenny making sure they got him

Better odds of ever winning a future playoff game Tomlin or KP8???

But, but, but, but when Nae-Nae punches people and Pickens decides not to block on a running play - their franchise status is SO confirmed.

PS. - You LEAD BY EXAMPLE. it was perfectly fine for Mike Tomlin to walk away and not talk to the press but if Pickett does that, he is a 3-year old? uh huh
where did I say it was ok for Tomlin to walk away from that presser???? What **** move did Tomlin pull? Mason came in and played better than Pickett ever has so far, playing Mason gave us the best chance to win.

The big unknown variable is that it's not really clear exactly how much of detriment Canada was to Pickett's play.

Though it was a small sample size, Pickett did look a lot better against the Bengals and Cardinals before he was injured. He seemed more confident and decisive in the pocket and was pushing the ball downfield more.

Also, who's to say Rudolph would have performed as well as he did late in the season if Canada was still calling the plays?

The Steelers made an unprecedented move for them by firing a coordinator mid season for a reason.

It was still the right decision to stick with Rudolph, given the offense had shown more life when he took over than it had in years. Tomlin could not risk killing that momentum.

As it pertains to 2024, hopefully they make a good choice for OC and there is a fair, legitimate competition between Pickett and Rudolph in the summer where a lot of these questions are answered, for better or worse.

I think this is true. Can it also be true that Pickett has shown glimpses of performance where he is the best quarterback in the NFL when facing pressure?! There is data that points to exactly that.

Is it plausible to run an offense around this? long-term? i don't know.
Do you have that data for this season?

In Tomlin’s presser, he said our QB1 is on the roster. Currently Rudolf iOS on the roster but that may not b e so come the new season. Then essentially, Coach Tomlin is saying KP8 is our starting QB………. Where is the competition ?

It is flawed that anyone would think there would be a fair to Mason competition, should he re-sign here.

EDIT: Mason has better intangibles than Kenny has at this time.

Salute the nation

I dont know....the guy wanted a shot at the playoffs...

You play to win the game.

The big unknown variable is that it's not really clear exactly how much of detriment Canada was to Pickett's play.

Though it was a small sample size, Pickett did look a lot better against the Bengals and Cardinals before he was injured. He seemed more confident and decisive in the pocket and was pushing the ball downfield more.

Also, who's to say Rudolph would have performed as well as he did late in the season if Canada was still calling the plays?

The Steelers made an unprecedented move for them by firing a coordinator mid season for a reason.

It was still the right decision to stick with Rudolph, given the offense had shown more life when he took over than it had in years. Tomlin could not risk killing that momentum.

As it pertains to 2024, hopefully they make a good choice for OC and there is a fair, legitimate competition between Pickett and Rudolph in the summer where a lot of these questions are answered, for better or worse.
I agree with this and would add the horrible Oline coaching. How many times did guys come unblocked in Pickett's starts. I can't blame him for having happy feet. Mason also seemed to have the Pickett gameplan for Buffalo and we saw how well that worked out. The new OC needs to let the QBs play freely.

Reading the back and forth makes me think April can't come soon enough need some bright spots from draft weekend.

Anyone want to play their mock up

It should go without saying, but these days, I guess it needs said: Your 25 year-old franchise QB should know enough to not act like a spoiled baby needing pampered but obviously we have a head coach who doesn't know any better and fosters such baby-@ss attitudes. He doesn't? Then someone explain to me why do we have an abundance of such immature 'tudes on this team? Shades supposedly meeting with Kenny every working day. And this is the attitude that has been born from all that meeting time together? This? The guy flat our sucks and then throws a hissy fit when the 3rd string QB outplays him and justifies starting time over him and his reaction is to act like a spoiled infant who wants his binkie right now! F off Kenny! Try sucking less and then you won't lose your starting job!

It should go without saying, but these days, I guess it needs said: Your 25 year-old franchise QB should know enough to not act like a spoiled baby needing pampered but obviously we have a head coach who doesn't know any better and fosters such baby-@ss attitudes. He doesn't? Then someone explain to me why do we have an abundance of such immature 'tudes on this team? Shades supposedly meeting with Kenny every working day. And this is the attitude that has been born from all that meeting time together? This? The guy flat our sucks and then throws a hissy fit when the 3rd string QB outplays him and justifies starting time over him and his reaction is to act like a spoiled infant who wants his binkie right now! F off Kenny! Try sucking less and then you won't lose your starting job!
These kids went through life with society kissing their ***. They act the way they act because they were spoiled through high school and college and are treated as kings at the pro level.

These guys make a lot of money. More than any of us will see in our lifetime. We can sit here as a fan complaining about their attitude but in a way we are at fault for putting these guys in such a position in life.

Not to mention the nflpa has relaxed the culture to the point it’s just an over paid country club.

At least football a generation ago, players were allowed to hit. Now it’s become glorified two hand touch.