• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny states he "learned nothing" from the sidelines in Cinci game.

If I had to play devil's advocate, I would say he could see that another QB within the scheme could have productive success standing in the pocket going thru his reads without scrambling out of the pocket prematurely.

But that is something coaches should be coaching him up for regardless.
You know, I wrestled for 12 years. We would drill certain simple moves repeatedly; such as taking shots across the mat. There were guys who looked very good taking those "imaginary" shots in practice or taking shots in practice when the opponent was just standing still. Put them on the mat and they panicked. Lost all sense of what they had been coached to do. Form went to ****. Shots looked terrible, if they even bothered to take them.

My point is that some guys look like they have "IT" in practice, but, when in the intense environment of real competition/games, they aren't able to dig in and use the tools they have been coached to use. It's possible that Kenny (and Mitch), are those type of guys.
With some guys you saw this effect as they moved up in levels of competition. Guys who were fantastic biddy and Jr. High wrestlers just went to crap when they had to go against faster, stronger guys in High School.

Meh I wouldn’t read much into any of this. Even with the procedure Pickett had, he was expected to miss 4 to 6 weeks… that injury came in the cardinals game… he missed NE, Indy and Cinci… he should not be thinking about rushing back out prematurely…

You always hear those interviews from old players regretting rushing back from some injury and causing chronic issues down the line…

In a worse case scenario, he probably gets to play the second half of the Ravens game when they break Rudolph again .. or maybe this game…

Don’t mistake Cinci’s injury issues destroying their pass rush as our line suddenly being better…
That’s probably going to take an offseason overhaul of the blocking scheme as well as some staff exorcisms…

KP has had ample time to be pissed off, yet he has not been the next guy for the Steelers. Rudy showed what you can do staying in the pocket not getting antsy and running out of pocket to throw ball in stands. Give receiver a better chance on the down and out passes. A lot could be learned on sidelines if you are watching. What happened to the guy having his own room to look at film thst guy seems to have went away.

For me it all points back to the poor handling of Kenny dating back to his rookie year.
Tomlin who in a moment of emotion pulls Mitch at halftime of the fourth game of the season against the Jets and inserts an unprepared Kenny Picket.
Supposedly there was an altercation between Mitch and Johnson. So why not pull Johnson from that game and let Mitch finish.
Then Kenny should have been third string last year watching and learning with Mason as the backup.
That way you could have gone with Mason when Mitch performed poorly.
Tomlin essentially threw Kenny in against a strong Jet defense last year with zero preparation all week.Then on top of that he retained an over his head Canada as his OC,
I lay the blame for this teams failures directly at the feet of the genius known as Coach T.
Totally botched the QB situation and may have already ruined Kenny, Have to wait and see on that one.

Well he can - but he's super pissed-off right now so...
Looking at his "production" his attitude should be one of "grateful for the chance to still be on the team" not some bravado like he's the greatest thing to happen to this team since Big Ben. Kenny being "pissed off?" Be pissed off at yourself, son. Maybe be pissed off at your coach (and therefore owner for not seeing through your coach's bull s--t), for pairing you up with a Micky Mouse offensive system. But Mason stepped in and produced you never have on this team, so blame your own @ss. And, oh, forgive your team and its fans for you being as fragile as a China doll. And yes, I said it: You are fragile. And it's not our fault. Mason stood in there and took hits to complete passes and maybe that's not something you are capable of, but that's no one's fault, but God's.

You want to act pissed off at who, exactly? You were in the basement of QB rankings, no matter what metric is being used to measure. And I mean you are ranked below some REAL hot garbage, such as NY's Zach Wilson and Rookie turd Bryce Young.

Last edited:
Tomlin essentially threw Kenny in against a strong Jet defense last year with zero preparation all week.Then on top of that he retained an over his head Canada as his OC,
I lay the blame for this teams failures directly at the feet of the genius known as Coach T.
Totally botched the QB situation and may have already ruined Kenny, Have to wait and see on that one.
All that being true, but at some point KP has to take responsibility for his own (lack of) production, at some point. Mason came in (albeit vs a crap D) and showed passing plays can be completed with this team, where as all Kenny has is excuses, zero production. It's partly on him at some point. His "pissed off" antics can be used for those who buy them. He consistently:

1.) Locks on to a single target each play. (That is the definition of a failed QB in the NFL.)
2.) Throws highly erratic, inaccurate passes. (the 2nd definition of a failed NFL QB).
3.) Runs from pressure (real or imagined) instead of hanging in a few more seconds until some is more open.
4.) Gets hurt where more successful QBs don't. (his concussions of last season the biggest examples)

If I had to play devil's advocate, I would say he could see that another QB within the scheme could have productive success standing in the pocket going thru his reads without scrambling out of the pocket prematurely.

But that is something coaches should be coaching him up for regardless.

Maybe I am a little biased being a Pitt Alumni but Kenny is our first round pick and Mason is a career backup. I just feel we need to give Kenny time to develop and his growth was obviously hindered by having to endure Matt Canada as his offensive coordinator. Mason will get beat down by the legion of doom and people will again be calling for Kenny.

I’d prefer that he’d watch and learn that there can be second and third choices to pass to.

Earlier in the same interview he talked about the opportunity in getting mental reps.

I think he just wasn't interested in entertaining that leading question.

He could simply just be tired of not playing. Anxious to get back out there. I wouldn't take it necessarily as moping. Sure he could have answered the question better.

I think with Rudy's good performance Kenny is now Frankenstein and the media has those pitch forks ready to charge.

I could of course be wrong but his earlier comments in that interview make me think it is just a media grab.

No worries slash, the big part of the interview that I watched on youtube, his body language was a moping form. I'm not labeling him, but he probably had just gotten the news of him not starting and was pisswed about that.

Salute the nation

No worries slash, the big part of the interview that I watched on youtube, his body language was a moping form. I'm not labeling him, but he probably had just gotten the news of him not starting and was pisswed about that.

Salute the nation
I think someone just needs to give him some bacon, don't know how that doesn't get yinz in a good mood. 😁

Maybe I am a little biased being a Pitt Alumni but Kenny is our first round pick and Mason is a career backup. I just feel we need to give Kenny time to develop and his growth was obviously hindered by having to endure Matt Canada as his offensive coordinator. Mason will get beat down by the legion of doom and people will again be calling for Kenny
There are a plethora of failed 1st-round QB busts, more than there are successes, so just because Kenny is a 1st-round pick is no logical reason to stay with him as the starter forever, as we have already seen with the Mark Malones of this Steelers' world. KP is at the bottom of measurable metrics since he has been playing. OK, so don't count his rookie year, that's fair. But, he's played a good deal of his 2nd season and production remains bottom of the league. OK, so we had a Mickey Mouse offensive scheme and coaching. OK, keep that in mind. But at some point, his basement performance is at least partly his fault.

1.) Locks on to just 1 receiver a play, the surest sign of a failed NFL QB.
2.) Has far too many off-target, inaccurate passes.
3.) Runs too quickly from pressure, both real and imagined.
4.) Is too fragile to play big time QB.
5.) Doesn't see wide open targets for 1st downs and TDs. Just doesn't see them.

Last I check, he wasn't even in the top 32 QBs in the NFL. So how long do you want to "stick with Kenny?" Oh, Kenny's p-ssed off?" Oh, goody two-shoes. He should apply that anger to his own performance.

Last edited:
is Kenny or Mitch QB2 this week?

is Kenny or Mitch QB2 this week?
Hmmm, that's a good question. If Tomlin is claiming KP is too injured to play, then he couldn't be listed as #2, could he? Of course, we all know not starting KP due to injury is a way out to just not committing one way or another. Typical Shades.

KP has been on the sidelines helping Mitch and Rudolph. I think he's learned a few things and he's shown he is a very good teammate. When I first saw this come out yesterday and every Tom, Dick, and Harry post the exact headline, my fake news (not just reserved for 99% of the liberal nonsense going around) sensors went off and I had no interest in reading the article.

Nothing against Pickett, but he should probably get comfortable to that role, he's a career back-up.

All that being true, but at some point KP has to take responsibility for his own (lack of) production, at some point. Mason came in (albeit vs a crap D) and showed passing plays can be completed with this team, where as all Kenny has is excuses, zero production. It's partly on him at some point. His "pissed off" antics can be used for those who buy them. He consistently:

1.) Locks on to a single target each play. (That is the definition of a failed QB in the NFL.)
2.) Throws highly erratic, inaccurate passes. (the 2nd definition of a failed NFL QB).
3.) Runs from pressure (real or imagined) instead of hanging in a few more seconds until some is more open.
4.) Gets hurt where more successful QBs don't. (his concussions of last season the biggest examples)
Maybe just maybe all the reason more to trade shades and try and get multiple premium picks.
If he’s that much desired by other teams they should line up with fabulous trade offers for him.
Then draft one of these top notch QBs coming out and let him compete with Kenny,
Let the new HC decide who he wants.
I know who I want for a HC. Niners Clint Kubiak with Brian Griese as his OC. Let them decide on their QB. Most likely won’t be Kenny as they will want one of these studs coming out of college.

KP has been on the sidelines helping Mitch and Rudolph. I think he's learned a few things and he's shown he is a very good teammate. When I first saw this come out yesterday and every Tom, Dick, and Harry post the exact headline, my fake news (not just reserved for 99% of the liberal nonsense going around) sensors went off and I had no interest in reading the article.
I get what you are saying about the "liberal nonsense going around" when it comes to media, but he did say it. When asked if he "learned anything" from watching from the sidelines, his answer was "no." Now we can read into that and interpret it how we will, but the bottom line is he said "no" when asked if he learned anything, which to most can be interpreted as a "ticked off" answer to the question. My position is "Why be ticked off at the question when you should be ticked off at yourself for your own crap performance?" Mason showed, that even with this Mickey Mouse offense and weak OL that more production can be achieved with this offense. LEARN from it, Kenny, instead of acting all ticked off by it.

Mason hit on some big plays Kenny can only dream of pulling off. Your performance #s speak for themselves, i.e. suckdom. I'm not impressed with your "angry demeanor." On its own, it's irrelevant, meaningless, extraneous and insubstantial.

A lot of us on here has played sports at some level. you learn from watching others. even if it is something you learn not to do it is still learning.

A lot of us on here has played sports at some level. you learn from watching others. even if it is something you learn not to do it is still learning.
A couple of things on this thread. I'll never understand why anyone takes anything these guys, coaches or players, say seriously, one way or the other. Talking to reporters is something they just want to get through. I never listen to a Mike Tomlin press conference, outside of injuries. He could get fined lying about that. Just a lot of hot air blowing around otherwise.

I played sports as you have. I do a lot of woodworking and shooting as well. While I get/got ideas and information watching others in all those areas, I didn't learn anything tangible until I get/got my hands in there and had my own successes and failures.

Not only THAT (i.e. learning what not to do, also) but you can't tell me he didn't watch those three big passes to Pickens (4 rec, 195 yds, 2 TDs) turn into big plays and Kenny didn't learn "anything" from watching those plays. What, you mean to tell me Kenny's unproductive non-throws to Pickens were all Kenny needed to know about playing QB in the NFL? Oh, we're so sorry, Kenny, if you learned "nothing" from watching Mason "torch" a defense to the likes that you NEVER have in the NFL before using Pickens for a year.

I get what you are saying about the "liberal nonsense going around" when it comes to media, but he did say it. When asked if he "learned anything" from watching from the sidelines, his answer was "no." Now we can read into that and interpret it how we will, but the bottom line is he said "no" when asked if he learned anything, which to most can be interpreted as a "ticked off" answer to the question. My position is "Why be ticked off at the question when you should be ticked off at yourself for your own crap performance?" Mason showed, that even with this Mickey Mouse offense and weak OL that more production can be achieved with this offense. LEARN from it, Kenny, instead of acting all ticked off by it.

Mason hit on some big plays Kenny can only dream of pulling off. Your performance #s speak for themselves, i.e. suckdom. I'm not impressed with your "angry demeanor." On its own, it's irrelevant, meaningless, extraneous and insubstantial.
I'm still giving KP the benefit of the doubt through next year where we will hopefully have an entirely new O coaching staff. Canaduh was one piece, now get rid of the rest. If KP still has troubles, then they need to start looking toward a mid to late first-round QB as that's the best we will be drafting. It also would not surprise me to see the O suck again this weekend with Rudolph at QB. It would be nice for us to have a true QB1 on the team but Mitch isn't it and one game from Rudolph isn't it either. The jury is and should still be out on KP.

I played sports as you have. I do a lot of woodworking and shooting as well. While I get/got ideas and information watching others in all those areas, I didn't learn anything tangible until I get/got my hands in there and had my own successes and failures.
I understand what you are saying here. And I agree that you really learn by "doing" as opposed to watching. But we aren't talking about a response by Dan Marino to watching Don Strock in 1984 here. In other words, Kenny wasn't putting up huge, or even medium, #s in any way and Mason came in and did put up some quality #s by comparison. So for him to offer a simple "no" when asked if he learned anything by watching on the sidelines, it some across as disingenuous. He should have learned something.

What exactly do you want him to learn from Mitch? How to milk teams for money?

Sure the PC response would have been “I am trying to learn all I can from those around me, for when I get my next chance”. But you can tell he is beyond frustrated with his situation. From the QB coach that can’t seem to develop a QB, to OC’s that can’t convince the HC to try something different, to a HC that refuses to play to his players strengths.

He is probably keeping an eye on the calendar and waiting till 2026, just hoping Tomlin doesn’t ruin his potential so bad he won’t get another shot somewhere.
Truer words were perhaps never said.

For me it all points back to the poor handling of Kenny dating back to his rookie year.
Tomlin who in a moment of emotion pulls Mitch at halftime of the fourth game of the season against the Jets and inserts an unprepared Kenny Picket.
Supposedly there was an altercation between Mitch and Johnson. So why not pull Johnson from that game and let Mitch finish.
Then Kenny should have been third string last year watching and learning with Mason as the backup.
That way you could have gone with Mason when Mitch performed poorly.
First off, I agree with what you say about the handling of KP.
However, there is also the possibility that there just wasn't what we thought was there to work with. i.e., that KP just isn't and wasn't going to be, that good.
It can be both. Tomlin handled the kid way wrong and even if he had handled him differently, KP wasn't going to be the next "franchise", or even a very good QB for the Steelers.

Translation: I want back on the field.
E54LlDyXEAUPx_N.jpg

B6mNN2dCQAApRSC.jpg