• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny states he "learned nothing" from the sidelines in Cinci game.

There's no point talking OC while Tomlin is here, unless Rooney comes out and says Tomlin will have no say in who our OC is and the OC will be allowed to run the offense has they see fit, until then talking OC is absolutely pointless.

https://www.steelernation.com/2023/...pickett-detailed-learned-nothing-on-sidelines

Not really the best thing to say after how he's performed this year. He's below such luminaries such as Zach Wilson, Desmond Ridder, Bryce Young, Bailey Zappe, Case Keenum, Tommy DeVito, and Nick Mullins (all following out of the top 20).

Pickett also briefly spoke on his time on the sideline. When asked if he had learned anything valuable while he was sidelined, his response was simple.

"No."
He doesn't seem to be too happy that he has been sidelined for so long, but some of his frustration is understandable. He worked with an awful offensive coordinator during the heart of his time starting in 2023, while underproducing, and then getting injured when it was crucial for him to prove his worth. Now seeing the success from Rudolph along with feeling well enough to start, is enough to frustrate the young quarterback, and it is yet to be known if he'll get his chance to start in Week 17 (or again in 2023).
Excellent find.

It's disappointing that Kenny didn't (admittedly) learn anything from the Bengals game.

Here's what he should have said:

1. I should be more confident in the plays called by our joint offensive coordinators.

2. In conjuction with the first answer/response, Mason proved that it is possible to see more than one option before escaping from the pocket.

3. I have multiple options at WR, but I must feed George as much as he can eat. Especially when I see single coverage.

4. Finally, I now realize that I need to get stronger and throw the ball down the field with more velocity.

5. Oh, it would be VERY BENEFICIAL for me to look at my Microsoft Surface after EVERY series to learn while the bullets are flying...

Excellent find.

It's disappointing that Kenny didn't (admittedly) learn anything from the Bengals game.

1. I should be more confident in the plays called by our joint offensive coordinators.

2. In conjuction with the first answer/response, Mason proved that it is possible to see more than one option before escaping from the pocket.

3. I have multiple options at WR, but I must feed George as much as he can eat. Especially when I see single coverage.

4. Finally, I now realize that I need to get stronger and throw the ball down the field with more velocity.

5. Oh, it would be VERY BENEFICIAL for me to look at my Microsoft Surface after EVERY series to learn while the bullets are flying...

6). I don’t know about learning anything, but I sure hope they don’t replace me with Mason. I‘m banking on Coach Tomlin’s stubbornness to keep me playing, after all…….. you know I’m a first rounder don’t yaz………

Salute the nation

Go, Kenny, Go! No matter what, I'll be rooting for him to succeed next year unlike apparently oh, so many on here. It's ridiculous to give up on KP after such a short time yet 6 years later, the same morons that were bashing Rudolph are now his No. 1 fan after 1 game. I'm really starting to think the Steelers have a heck of a lot more fair-weather fans than I ever thought possible. I wonder how many fans Rudolph will have if we get spanked this week in Seattle. Now, for me, regarding Rudolph, I have always been in his corner. I lived in OKC when he and Baker were playing in college. Rudolph loved to throw the long ball and was very good at it. I was surprised he and Washington didn't have the same chemistry in the NFL as they did in college.

Maybe you missed the first Cincy game where we actually put up more yards than this game and Pickett was only 13 yrds behind Mason. Of course the difference was points. If i remember correctly we had alot of miscues that were not on Pickett that led to drives stalling. Pickett's drives were more sustained methodical drives were Masons were mostly based on splash plays. Bottom line is both QBs looked good against Cincy and i believe it's mainly due to the lack of pass rush. I did not look to see where Seattle ranks defensively, but I'm sure it will be a better test to see where Mason than Cincy was
Also, Pickett and Pickens seemed like they were finally starting to click against the Cardinals before KP got hurt. George had 3 catches for 61 yards (and also drew a 16-yard pass interference penalty) in the first half of that game.

Seattle’s defense is 26th overall, 19th against the pass and 27th against the run.
The Seahawks are also tied for sixth in the league in sacks, so Rudolph isn't going to have all day back there like he did last week.

Yea, Kenny was only inferior in that thing called "points." Semi-important to QBs I'd say. Even in his winds, Kenny's games always come down to the very end, so breathing room whatsoever. But Shades loves games lie that so he is happier with such wins as Kenny puts up; no sense winning by a few TDs, not in Cool Shades' world. Every single win Kenny puts up is to just barely get the W. It's quite astonishing, really. He just has that knack to NOT score TDs. Fabulous. Look at his entire career: TD passes are scarce. But he's our man! Only 1 TD pass a game, and it continues.
Kenny would/should have put up 23 points in that first Bengals game, had Tomlin simply challenged the incompletion to DJ in the end zone. People seem to forget that, and also disregard that the game Pickett played in was on the road in Cincinnati, not at home. Big difference there.

There are a plethora of failed 1st-round QB busts, more than there are successes, so just because Kenny is a 1st-round pick is no logical reason to stay with him as the starter forever, as we have already seen with the Mark Malones of this Steelers' world. KP is at the bottom of measurable metrics since he has been playing. OK, so don't count his rookie year, that's fair. But, he's played a good deal of his 2nd season and production remains bottom of the league. OK, so we had a Mickey Mouse offensive scheme and coaching. OK, keep that in mind. But at some point, his basement performance is at least partly his fault.

1.) Locks on to just 1 receiver a play, the surest sign of a failed NFL QB.
2.) Has far too many off-target, inaccurate passes.
3.) Runs too quickly from pressure, both real and imagined.
4.) Is too fragile to play big time QB.
5.) Doesn't see wide open targets for 1st downs and TDs. Just doesn't see them.

Last I check, he wasn't even in the top 32 QBs in the NFL. So how long do you want to "stick with Kenny?" Oh, Kenny's p-ssed off?" Oh, goody two-shoes. He should apply that anger to his own performance.
5 years like at Pitt???🤪🫣🤯

Go, Kenny, Go! No matter what, I'll be rooting for him to succeed next year unlike apparently oh, so many on here. It's ridiculous to give up on KP after such a short time yet 6 years later, the same morons that were bashing Rudolph are now his No. 1 fan after 1 game. I'm really starting to think the Steelers have a heck of a lot more fair-weather fans than I ever thought possible. I wonder how many fans Rudolph will have if we get spanked this week in Seattle. Now, for me, regarding Rudolph, I have always been in his corner. I lived in OKC when he and Baker were playing in college. Rudolph loved to throw the long ball and was very good at it. I was surprised he and Washington didn't have the same chemistry in the NFL as they did in college.
I think most Steeler fans and the media agree on the fact that Mason played better than Kenny has through 24 career starts for Pickett. Most would also tell you outplaying Pickett is nothing to write home about, and the answer long term at QB isn't Rudolph either.
Mason may not win another game, but I'm thankful in 1 start he showed us KP has been a big part of the problem on offense for the past 2 years, and has handcuffed the growth of the rest of the offense, especially Pickens.
Flacco threw more touchdowns in 2.5 starts than Pickett has all season. in 5 games he threw as many TD's as Kenny did all last season.

Its ridiculous to think Kenny deserves to start after what he's put on tape the first 24 games of his career?

There's no point talking OC while Tomlin is here, unless Rooney comes out and says Tomlin will have no say in who our OC is and the OC will be allowed to run the offense has they see fit, until then talking OC is absolutely pointless.
Until then drafting another QB is pointless.

I don’t think there are as many fair weather fans as you are classifying them. I think the majority of them / us want Coach Tomlin gone and see Kenny having issues VS Mason coming in and out performing him big time.

Most want Rudolf these next two games and then an open competition for next season. College to NFL is sometime a step that some players can’t make. Not saying KP8 can’t make the step up, but he has had pretty good opportunity to do so.

I realize time will tell, but grouping many under the term IDIOTS is a tough sell. O’Canada would be under that classification and KP8 has had to deal with that as well as Mason.

I’m open to both, but definitely want the better player on the field despite the pedigree that seems to hold Coach Tomlin back as to best player on the field of play.

One game at a time.

Salute the nation

5 years like at Pitt???🤪🫣🤯
Next year is already 3 years, is 5 that far off? I could see Art sticking with him for that long. Next year's excuse will be "New OC, takes time to learn the system." Then that brings us year 4. Only 1 more until year 5."The Steeler way" is suulllllllllooooowwwwwwww. That's what Art hangs his hat on.

Kenny would/should have put up 23 points in that first Bengals game, had Tomlin simply challenged the incompletion to DJ in the end zone. People seem to forget that, and also disregard that the game Pickett played in was on the road in Cincinnati, not at home. Big difference there.
I had forgotten about this as well. That pass would have also given Pickett more yards than Rudolph. 80 of Rudolph's yards were mostly due to Pickens simply outrunning the D on a basic slant. The slant was thrown well but it was 99% Pickens. I'm not taking away from Rudolphs performance, but he did not beat some defensive juggernaut and our defense did its job more than it had been. I hope Mason plays well, but it's way too early to label Pickett a bust considering what he had to work with

Excellent find.

Yup, all VALID points, especially #2 and #3. If Kenny can't pull off 2 and 3, he does not belong as a starting NFL QB, period. Be angry at whoever you like, Kenny, but maybe include yourself in there.

I was surprised he and Washington didn't have the same chemistry in the NFL as they did in college.
They would have had Washington been able to separate on a regular basis. I liked the guy but he maxed out in college.

Last edited:
Still want him to succeed and be our franchise QB. Would love it if Mason kills it this week. whomever is our QB I want them to do well. I think most on here are like that

I hope Mason plays well, but it's way too early to label Pickett a bust considering what he had to work with
Yes, Kenny's games always include asterisks as to why he didn't produce, each and every game. I mean, how many games in his entire career didn't need an asterisks? How about a few games straight where he just produces and asterisks were not needed? Like a few games with 3 TD passes? Win by 17-21 points?

Still want him to succeed and be our franchise QB. Would love it if Mason kills it this week. whomever is our QB I want them to do well. I think most on here are like that

All Steelers fans should be ok with any QB killing it on the field. I agree most want that.

For me I don't have an agenda outside of winning. I could care less if my football perspective is wrong at any given moment. Just win. It is why I am always louder for change when they play mediocre or less than that.

With how huge this fan base is I feel they should honor us with being competitive when it matters the most.

Most maybe but there are a ton of whiners on here who hated KP before he even started a game. They were calling him a bust last year and since the beginning of this year until now. Canaduh was absolutely the No. 1 problem with the O. The No. 2 problem for KP going back to last year was the OL and then, sure, KP is part of the problem. But, you have to give him a legit OC and a somewhat consistent OL to protect him. Last year and the beginning of this year, he had none of that. And, as I've said before, when he finally gets a real OC and a legit OL that can pass protect (our OL is now built for the run and not pass protection), he may be able to shake off his year and a half of starting and become something. But, he also may not. If he doesn't take a major leap next year, then they need to look to the draft again. And, as I've said before also, they will be picking middle of the pack or worse in the 1st round so the chances of getting a potential franchise QB drop significantly and you won't have someone ready to start on day 1 - at least not on a Tomlin team. Hopefully, they will move Jones back to his real position at LT and then figure out who will play RT. Don't pull a Dotson with Jones. Moore is not that good a LT but he was/is better than Chuks was in 3+ years he tried it. Chuks is an average RT, at best, and has a decent cap hit. He should probably be traded or cut.

Most maybe but there are a ton of whiners on here who hated KP before he even started a game. They were calling him a bust last year and since the beginning of this year until now. Canaduh was absolutely the No. 1 problem with the O. The No. 2 problem for KP going back to last year was the OL and then, sure, KP is part of the problem. But, you have to give him a legit OC and a somewhat consistent OL to protect him. Last year and the beginning of this year, he had none of that. And, as I've said before, when he finally gets a real OC and a legit OL that can pass protect (our OL is now built for the run and not pass protection), he may be able to shake off his year and a half of starting and become something. But, he also may not. If he doesn't take a major leap next year, then they need to look to the draft again. And, as I've said before also, they will be picking middle of the pack or worse in the 1st round so the chances of getting a potential franchise QB drop significantly and you won't have someone ready to start on day 1 - at least not on a Tomlin team. Hopefully, they will move Jones back to his real position at LT and then figure out who will play RT. Don't pull a Dotson with Jones. Moore is not that good a LT but he was/is better than Chuks was in 3+ years he tried it. Chuks is an average RT, at best, and has a decent cap hit. He should probably be traded or cut.
And that is where this is 100% on Tomlin for not only thinking Matt Canada was an NFL-level OC, but keeping him for two years too long after his offense wasn't good his first year with the Steelers. It was obvious at that point it wasn't going to work.

They have to put Jones back at left tackle next year. He should've just started the year there and the Steelers could've let him take his lumps. It really wouldn't have been worse than Moore, who has to be one of the worst pass blocking LTs in the league. I agree, move on from Chuks because of his cap hit and sign a moderately priced UFA. You don't need 5 All Pros across the line, just 5 guys who can work well together.

I sure am glad that some of you were not around when they first drafted Terry Bradshaw. A lot of you would have torn him apart on message boards like this! It took him 3 to 4 years to get it figured out and then all he did was win 4 super bowls and became one if the greatest QB's in NFL history. I am not saying by any means that KP is Terry Bradshaw, but for goodness sakes can we just take a step back, take a breath and see what happens with KP's Devlopment. And don't say you have seen everything you need to see in KP, no we haven't, he still has some learning to do. People will bring up Brock Purdy, but I am willing to bet that Kyle Shanahan could take just about any QB and make him succeed in his system. Remember what his dad did with RB's! Mike Shanahan could turn any RB into a 1000 yard back in his system. Kyle has figured out the right offence to run in todays NFL. (although he still has not won a Super Bowl with it). By the way I would love to steal the 49'rs OC and QB coach and bring that system to the Steelers! This is the 50th year that I have been a Steelers fan, so I have seen all of the high's and low's of this team's history from the late 60's till now. This reminds me of the 80's (the end of Knoll and the start of Cower) They will right the ship at some point I have trust in Khan and Weidl and I am willing to give KP some more time to develop before I call him a bust. The person within the organization that I have the least amount of confidence in at this point is Art Rooney 2! He has nowhere near the football mindset that his Dad or Grandfather had. That is where the real problem lies. I love Mike Tomlin and he has been a great head coach here, and he took us to two super bowls, winning one of them, but like Knoll and Cower his time here has come to an end and it's time for a change. Maybe that change needs to come at the Art Rooney 2 level first!

I sure am glad that some of you were not around when they first drafted Terry Bradshaw. A lot of you would have torn him apart on message boards like this! It took him 3 to 4 years to get it figured out and then all he did was win 4 super bowls and became one if the greatest QB's in NFL history. I am not saying by any means that KP is Terry Bradshaw, but for goodness sakes can we just take a step back, take a breath and see what happens with KP's Devlopment. And don't say you have seen everything you need to see in KP, no we haven't, he still has some learning to do. People will bring up Brock Purdy, but I am willing to bet that Kyle Shanahan could take just about any QB and make him succeed in his system. Remember what his dad did with RB's! Mike Shanahan could turn any RB into a 1000 yard back in his system. Kyle has figured out the right offence to run in todays NFL. (although he still has not won a Super Bowl with it). By the way I would love to steal the 49'rs OC and QB coach and bring that system to the Steelers! This is the 50th year that I have been a Steelers fan, so I have seen all of the high's and low's of this team's history from the late 60's till now. This reminds me of the 80's (the end of Knoll and the start of Cower) They will right the ship at some point I have trust in Khan and Weidl and I am willing to give KP some more time to develop before I call him a bust. The person within the organization that I have the least amount of confidence in at this point is Art Rooney 2! He has nowhere near the football mindset that his Dad or Grandfather had. That is where the real problem lies. I love Mike Tomlin and he has been a great head coach here, and he took us to two super bowls, winning one of them, but like Knoll and Cower his time here has come to an end and it's time for a change. Maybe that change needs to come at the Art Rooney 2 level first!
I think many here were around when Terry was drafted. Not me. I grew up with the 90’s and early 2000’s Stillers.