• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny states he "learned nothing" from the sidelines in Cinci game.

A couple of things on this thread. I'll never understand why anyone takes anything these guys, coaches or players, say seriously, one way or the other. Talking to reporters is something they just want to get through. I never listen to a Mike Tomlin press conference, outside of injuries. He could get fined lying about that. Just a lot of hot air blowing around otherwise.

I played sports as you have. I do a lot of woodworking and shooting as well. While I get/got ideas and information watching others in all those areas, I didn't learn anything tangible until I get/got my hands in there and had my own successes and failures.
If he is not smart enough to learn what to say to reporters is he smart enough to be one of 32 starting qbs?
He could learn a lot from watching. How to lead a reciever, how to trust a reciever, hot to be aggressive when you need to be aggressive.

"If he is not smart enough to learn what to say to reporters is he smart enough to be one of 32 starting qbs?
He could learn a lot from watching. How to lead a reciever, how to trust a reciever, hot to be aggressive when you need to be aggressive."

Depends on how you look at it.

Look, I'm not defending Pickett as a player. I have no idea what he will be. But I don't worry one way or another about what he says. When I say depends...you have kids, I assume. So do I, besides the fact that I also deal with kids for a living. There is nothing like just "no" to end conversation if you have no desire to go there. Maybe that's what is was. If so, I'd say he's pretty smart. In today's world people really don't know how to handle "no."

They still cant roll with just him and if mason has decent outings him back at 1 yr and a mid-rnd qb.
I think now with who we know will be available at QB, We trade for Fields or Wilson if Wilson day 3 pick, and since he has zero leverage restructure his deal to something close to what Mitch was making 7-10 Mill for the 2024 open competition new offense Scheme new C, RT and some Depth at WR

He will learn about as much as we do watching it on tv.
I'm watching FLACCO on TV absolutely dismantle the Jets & was thinking man "I hope Kenny is watching this game, cause he sure could learn what an NFL QB looks lik...Flacco stays calm in the pocket, makes the right read, & slings the rock...Damn 296 first half yards. That's like 3 Kenny Pickett games

KP didn't learn from Mason slinging the rock & staying in the pocket? He should of learned or IS LEARNING that Steeler fans, Tomlin AND the MEDIA are tired of HAPPY FEET & were ecstatic watching an NFL QB with pocket presence on the Steelers...

If HAPPY FEET didn't learn to stay in the pocket & sling the rock from watching Rudy, he'll never cut it

Last edited:
Most games, it appears Kenny hasn't learned anything on the field so it's not surprising he didn't learn anything by watching.

Look, I don't know what Kenny Pickett is other than what he has put on tape. And that is below the line, obviously, if you will.

Rudolph had a nice game and has earned another start, but I have my doubts about him as well.

Trubisky should be headed out of town on the first thing smoking.

I think you sign a guy like Gardner Minshew, draft a guy somewhere in rounds 1-3 and hire an OC that can develop that young guy. Maybe you are giving up on Kenny prematurely, maybe not. But wasting year after year hoping he develops, especially under Tomlin who has developed almost no one, is a fools errand. It took him 5 years to have his one quality season at Pitt. Not sure waiting five years is the way to go.

Most games, it appears Kenny hasn't learned anything on the field so it's not surprising he didn't learn anything by watching.

Look, I don't know what Kenny Pickett is other than what he has put on tape. And that is below the line, obviously, if you will.

Rudolph had a nice game and has earned another start, but I have my doubts about him as well.

Trubisky should be headed out of town on the first thing smoking.

I think you sign a guy like Gardner Minshew, draft a guy somewhere in rounds 1-3 and hire an OC that can develop that young guy. Maybe you are giving up on Kenny prematurely, maybe not. But wasting year after year hoping he develops, especially under Tomlin who has developed almost no one, is a fools errand. It took him 5 years to have his one quality season at Pitt. Not sure waiting five years is the way to go.
All Pickett was saying was he doesn't endorse learning by getting benched, he wants to be on the field.

Other than that, you're right. Pickett's TD numbers have been historically bad and I just can't give him excuses for those. Kirk Cousins or Baker Mayfield could win the division with this roster. Gardner Minshew should compete for a playoff position. Pickett could make the playoffs, but you're going to have to gut out each win 17-14.

As you said, maybe you're giving up on him too early, but maybe you're just wasting another season. An average QB this season and this team could win at least one playoff game because there aren't any great teams in the AFC. If he puts it all together, then he goes out and wins the job without question.

All Pickett was saying was he doesn't endorse learning by getting benched, he wants to be on the field.

Other than that, you're right. Pickett's TD numbers have been historically bad and I just can't give him excuses for those. Kirk Cousins or Baker Mayfield could win the division with this roster. Gardner Minshew should compete for a playoff position. Pickett could make the playoffs, but you're going to have to gut out each win 17-14.

As you said, maybe you're giving up on him too early, but maybe you're just wasting another season. An average QB this season and this team could win at least one playoff game because there aren't any great teams in the AFC. If he puts it all together, then he goes out and wins the job without question.
He may not endorse it, but in my opinion he has done nothing to remain the starter. His play hasn’t earned that. Before his injury, he wasn’t even playing mediocre football. And his TD numbers aren’t the only thing that has been historically bad.

I know there are a lot of excuses for the guy. But when a guy that hasn’t played since 2021 and hasn’t taken practice reps in that time comes in and puts up a better game than Pickett has ever had, you gotta wonder if Pickett isn’t at least part of the problem.

He may not endorse it, but in my opinion he has done nothing to remain the starter. His play hasn’t earned that. Before his injury, he wasn’t even playing mediocre football. And his TD numbers aren’t the only thing that has been historically bad.

I know there are a lot of excuses for the guy. But when a guy that hasn’t played since 2021 and hasn’t taken practice reps in that time comes in and puts up a better game than Pickett has ever had, you gotta wonder if Pickett isn’t at least part of the problem.
Entering the offseason, if the Steelers seriously want to contend next year (assuming no unexpected cuts or trades...Diontae Johnson) these are the areas they need to fix.

1. Quarterback
2. Offensive coaching staff (mainly OC and OL coach)
3. Center
4. CB
5. DL

Entering the offseason, if the Steelers seriously want to contend next year (assuming no unexpected cuts or trades...Diontae Johnson) these are the areas they need to fix.

1. Quarterback
2. Offensive coaching staff (mainly OC and OL coach)
3. Center
4. CB
5. DL

1. HC

If they seriously want to contend again. I don't see the commitment from ownership to assure the team is properly staffed.

1. HC

If they seriously want to contend again. I don't see the commitment from ownership to assure the team is properly staffed.
They need another WR too. Pickens and DJ aren't game in and out consistent and the third WR options are junior varsity.

Also they are a T short. Chukes and Moore are average at best.

But if you don't change the HC like was mentioned the mediocrity will continue.

You guys nailed it.

Not only THAT (i.e. learning what not to do, also) but you can't tell me he didn't watch those three big passes to Pickens (4 rec, 195 yds, 2 TDs) turn into big plays and Kenny didn't learn "anything" from watching those plays. What, you mean to tell me Kenny's unproductive non-throws to Pickens were all Kenny needed to know about playing QB in the NFL? Oh, we're so sorry, Kenny, if you learned "nothing" from watching Mason "torch" a defense to the likes that you NEVER have in the NFL before using Pickens for a year.
Maybe you missed the first Cincy game where we actually put up more yards than this game and Pickett was only 13 yrds behind Mason. Of course the difference was points. If i remember correctly we had alot of miscues that were not on Pickett that led to drives stalling. Pickett's drives were more sustained methodical drives were Masons were mostly based on splash plays. Bottom line is both QBs looked good against Cincy and i believe it's mainly due to the lack of pass rush. I did not look to see where Seattle ranks defensively, but I'm sure it will be a better test to see where Mason than Cincy was

Maybe you missed the first Cincy game where we actually put up more yards than this game and Pickett was only 13 yrds behind Mason. Of course the difference was points. If i remember correctly we had alot of miscues that were not on Pickett that led to drives stalling. Pickett's drives were more sustained methodical drives were Masons were mostly based on splash plays. Bottom line is both QBs looked good against Cincy and i believe it's mainly due to the lack of pass rush. I did not look to see where Seattle ranks defensively, but I'm sure it will be a better test to see where Mason than Cincy was
Pickett has been the starter, taking first team reps for two years, all off season, all training camp, all preseason, etc, etc. Mason hasn't taken first team snaps in how long? Then steps right in and has a better game than Kenny ever has.

Well, as a fan, when I hear this I weigh it against what they have said in the past. Does it seem more like something someone that is butt hurt would be saying to whine or something a competitor would be saying because they want to be out there.

From a public facing perspective this is not what a second year QB with a questionable track record should say (even given the ****** coaching). From the perspective of wanting a player that wants to play and win its fine. I think this was more of the latter but doesn't excuse being ignorant of the former.

Seattle’s defense is 26th overall, 19th against the pass and 27th against the run.

Pickett is an *******! Learned nothing? Really bad choice of words and does not support the "Team first mantra" we all like. I wrestled, hunt, fish, and many other things and I learn every single day I'm afield. I have bow hunted since 1989 and am still learning from other guys when we talk. I just took my grandson up to Erie to fish for Steelhead. Holy crap, what a learning curve! We each only caught one, but putting yourself in an open mindset helps you learn. There were some great guys who really helped me learn and understand how to approach this type of fishing - I learned a ton. While my grandson was all ticked off not catching, I sat on the bank behind a couple guys and watched what they did, then talked to them. I saw them pull fish after fish from the same hole I fished for an hour without catching a single thing. Yeah, I could have been all pissy and packed up the gear and went home, but that wouldn't help anything for wanting to hit the water again. There were so many little considering factors to catching a fish that I did not know - I do now! Pickett needs to learn from watching others. They have always said he is a big film study guy - I doubt that. If he does watch a lot of film, he doesn't know what he is looking at and is not asking the right questions with an open mindset. Apparently, he has learned too much from Coach Dumblin and none of it is good - me first (I know all of the answers to the test and don't need anything else)!

So … ummmm did anyone actually bother to watch this press conference? Cause tge narrative here seems really convoluted..

He seems pretty team first but pushing to return early… like 99% of these guys are…

My gosh the hoops some people jump through to make mountains out of molehills 🤣

https://www.steelernation.com/2023/...pickett-detailed-learned-nothing-on-sidelines

Not really the best thing to say after how he's performed this year. He's below such luminaries such as Zach Wilson, Desmond Ridder, Bryce Young, Bailey Zappe, Case Keenum, Tommy DeVito, and Nick Mullins (all following out of the top 20).

Pickett also briefly spoke on his time on the sideline. When asked if he had learned anything valuable while he was sidelined, his response was simple.

"No."
He doesn't seem to be too happy that he has been sidelined for so long, but some of his frustration is understandable. He worked with an awful offensive coordinator during the heart of his time starting in 2023, while underproducing, and then getting injured when it was crucial for him to prove his worth. Now seeing the success from Rudolph along with feeling well enough to start, is enough to frustrate the young quarterback, and it is yet to be known if he'll get his chance to start in Week 17 (or again in 2023).
Every one of those guys has atleast lucked themselves into atleast 1 stud performance. 24 games in and not a 1 for KP. 0/24 and people still think he's the future. SMH

So … ummmm did anyone actually bother to watch this press conference? Cause tge narrative here seems really convoluted..

He seems pretty team first but pushing to return early… like 99% of these guys are…

My gosh the hoops some people jump through to make mountains out of molehills 🤣

That happened for almost 20 years while Ben was here, I guess it comes with the territory.

Yea, Kenny was only inferior in that thing called "points." Semi-important to QBs I'd say. Even in his winds, Kenny's games always come down to the very end, so breathing room whatsoever. But Shades loves games lie that so he is happier with such wins as Kenny puts up; no sense winning by a few TDs, not in Cool Shades' world. Every single win Kenny puts up is to just barely get the W. It's quite astonishing, really. He just has that knack to NOT score TDs. Fabulous. Look at his entire career: TD passes are scarce. But he's our man! Only 1 TD pass a game, and it continues.

All signs point to them giving KP at LEAST another year to prove himself. I knew his trajectory as soon as I heard they were bringing Canada back for 2023: The offense would remain embarrassingly weak, but Kenny would get a pass as Canada would be the scapegoat. Then, Kenny gets another pass because 2024 would be with a "new OC" and you can't expect too much from a new OC bringing in a new system, so everyone gets a pass again for an anemic offense. And by 2025, another weak offensive showing can be blamed on the QB, not on Shades and his debilitating handling of the team and offense, so Shades will be safe from blame once again. And around and around the scapegoat wheel spins, with no one ever truly accountable. This is the "Steelers' way."

Heck, we don't even fire people, we pretend they retire instead, this way so no one gets blamed. Oh, but this time the OC was so pathetic, so damn terrible, that Shades was given the label as the "ax man" which was appropriate because it was the favor of giving Dion, Shade's son, the scholarship at MD, that got us into the Canada mess to begin with.