• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let Cam walk

I can't wrap my head around how we'd get anything for Cam without retaining a good part of the salary. How much is a 2nd day draft pick worth? If we're paying Cam anyway would we be better off keeping him and hope he bounces back?
The only thing Cam will bounce back to is retirement. $22 mill to keep a guy who will be hurt half the time and ineffective the other half. Genius Art, just genius.

You are either 14 or an idiot, I can't figure out which. Can you make a statement without all the extra bullshiit? I agree Cam is not worth that cap hit at this point in his career. But to disparage him as a player or a man because you don't like his cap hit? That's stupid.
You are really this foolish? (standing ovation). Live life a little before tying to criticize others for having a brain.

You are really this foolish? (standing ovation). Live life a little before tying to criticize others for having a brain.

I am foolish. It is foolish to argue with an idiot, which you are. Therefore I will no longer.

He got paid almost 36k per snap last year
That’s a boatload of bucks for that production level. He sure ain’t worth the 4-5 year extension he was talking about…good lawd

As much as I love Cam they FO would be wise to shop or cut him
He deserves a crack at actually winning a playoff game in the twilight of his career too

Call the Rams and see if he can get a day 2 pick for him
You gotta realize his contract has been restructured and that's the reason his current cap is 22M, he received "less" previously. But his contract's yearly avg is about 16M

I can't wrap my head around how we'd get anything for Cam without retaining a good part of the salary. How much is a 2nd day draft pick worth? If we're paying Cam anyway would we be better off keeping him and hope he bounces back?
Or day 3
Just figuring call the F them picks team first and see if they’d overpay
Khan got something for Green, anything is possible now haha

Throw in Tomlin and make it the day 2 pick😎

this thread topic sucks

Cam has gone on record saying he will walk if Pgh tries to give him a dollar less than his contract calls for, which is a $22 mill cap hit.....a 35 year old, part-time player who misses half the snaps and has made almost no impact plays last season; Ba bye, Cam, you have some nerve demanding that. And you know Tomlin is enabling such a 'tude. If Pgh doesn't buck that threat then they deserve being a middling team with no threat of winning a playoff game.
Of course he's going to say that as his opening salvo before contract talks begin, what the hell would you expect him to say? That he should just humbly acquiesce to the team with hat-in-hand and accept whatever paycut the team wants him to take??

Have you ever negotiated anything ever, in your life??

Or day 3
Just figuring call the F them picks team first and see if they’d overpay
Khan got something for Green, anything is possible now haha

Throw in Tomlin and make it the day 2 pick😎
Green was a 1.1 million cap hit vs Cam at 22 million.

Yes it's the contract Cam signed. But part of that contract is the buyout. Sorry but Cam isn't worth close to $22 million. If he thinks he is, he can go look for a team that thinks likewise.
Of that $22m, $6m is money he was paid in and for prior years that was converted to signing bonus and included in this year for cap purposes only. If the Steelers retain him on his current contract he will be paid $16m for 2024.

Edit: I see Litos had already made this point.

You simply can’t pay a player 22M a year when he can’t stay on the field and the defense gives up this many points.

If this team wants to win again they need to start cutting some of these big $$$ old guys loose and let some young hungry fresh guys play.

You simply can’t pay a player 22M a year when he can’t stay on the field and the defense gives up this many points.

If this team wants to win again they need to start cutting some of these big $$$ old guys loose and let some young hungry fresh guys play.
you gotta have young hungry fresh guys that can play better than our young hungry fresh guys

but he is not full go anymore and to be honest sometimes I think his great leadership is just being the team mouth piece for Tomlin.
Yup, there is no doubt that is his role and what a crappy role that is. And it al exists to get him maximum $ for as long as possible. We all know if you kiss Tomin ***, you keep your bloated salary for a long, long time. You can even be the worst at your position (see Canaduh) and keep your position for almost 3 years. That's the Tomlin way. Is it any surprise we haven't won a playoff game in 7 years?

He's also not worth the money.
In his prime his defenses were embarrassed by Journeymen in the playoffs. We had the best offensive trio in the history of the league and our defense let us down every single time in the playoffs.
They rarely if ever played together in the playoffs. I don't care how much you blame Tomlin injuries were and are the single biggest factor that has killed us for the last decade. Recently it has been linebackers, both inside and out. In the past it was the killer B's, standing banged up.

They rarely if ever played together in the playoffs. I don't care how much you blame Tomlin injuries were and are the single biggest factor that has killed us for the last decade. Recently it has been linebackers, both inside and out. In the past it was the killer B's, standing banged up.
All teams have injuries, good teams/coaches overcome them and don't need excuses. Remember Green Bay in 2010? They beat us (and the rest of the teams they faced in the playoffs) with like 13 players on IR, many of them starters. But our injuries costed us the win in the Super Bowl, not theirs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2010_injuries.htm

I think they were missing like 10 starters. But Jordy Nelson burnt Troy in the SB who shouldn't have been playing. They (Tomlin, Lebeau)tried to bluff their way keeping Troy in there and got smashed.

And Green was a complete waste of space whereas Cam was a phenomenal player and may still actually be good (on a contender)
Heyward will not be a very good player at $22.4 million on any team. Good or bad. Terrible value.

I get that Cam has been a great Steeler over the years but I just don't see this as a difficult business decision at that price.

Their is a way to keep Cam a Steeler another year with both sides happy. It should be both sides conceding a bit. sucked seeing Franco Webby and Woodson finishing on otherbteams.