• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let's Go PENS!

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
This organization needs a flushing. There is no accountability. There is poor decision making. There is a culture of arrogance and entitlement. No doubt there is more stink that has not yet been reported.

The fan base here in PGH is pissed, and feels majorly betrayed. There is going to be blow back. Blow back in terms of tickets sales, merchandise sales, fan enthusiasm, and support for this team. The only cure is winning,,,,winning in the post season. If this team can't get it done, replace them with those that can. Period.

Steel G

Reaction score
Lemieux, Jagr, Coffey, & Co. chased away more than their share of coaches when they were players too. Best NHL coach of all time Scotty Bowman was not allowed to attend practice because he was a big meanie.

Great, so does that mean it'll be a total of 16 years before the next cup and another bankruptcy and brush with franchise relocation?

Stillers

Reaction score
You guys crack me up. Go watch your Stanley Cup Blu-Ray and drink an Iron City.
Relax.

Playoff hockey is a fickle *****. Look at the Bruins.
Clearly the best team this year...bounced AT HOME...in GAME 7...by the upstart Habs.
**** happens.

You don't blow anything up. You just re-tool, tweak and let your players do their thing.
Trust your players.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, regardless of how "good" you are.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Relax.

Clearly the best team this year...bounced AT HOME...in GAME 7...by the upstart Habs.
**** happens.

You don't blow anything up. You just re-tool, tweak and let your players do their thing.
Trust your players.

As I said before, when you put forth your best effort and lose, that is sports. But this team was a full blown cluster **** this year. You look at the body of work of every other team in the playoffs, and you see effort, teams that are in synch. Some are just better than others. The Pens did not play anywhere near what they are capable, save games 2, 3, and 4 of the Rangers series. Good forecheck, physical play protect your goalie. Every other game, it was a Chinese fire drill on ice. No plan, little defense, just a mess.

I get what you are saying. But this team is void of forwards with skill, grit and getting older. I am not saying blow up the team, but they will need to move some salary. Plus, we have several NHL ready defensemen that need to be brought up to play. Orpik, Scuderi, Letang are all a burden and liability. The changes do not have to be huge. They need to get younger, faster, grittier, hungrier. That is gonna require a move or two.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
As I said before, when you put forth your best effort and lose, that is sports. But this team was a full blown cluster **** this year. You look at the body of work of every other team in the playoffs, and you see effort, teams that are in synch. Some are just better than others. The Pens did not play anywhere near what they are capable, save games 2, 3, and 4 of the Rangers series. Good forecheck, physical play protect your goalie. Every other game, it was a Chinese fire drill on ice. No plan, little defense, just a mess.

I get what you are saying. But this team is void of forwards with skill, grit and getting older. I am not saying blow up the team, but they will need to move some salary. Plus, we have several NHL ready defensemen that need to be brought up to play. Orpik, Scuderi, Letang are all a burden and liability. The changes do not have to be huge. They need to get younger, faster, grittier, hungrier. That is gonna require a move or two.

Yeah i am confused as to what happened. in games 2,3,4 it looked like they were finally clicking. Then they got away from everything that was working. It is very mind baffling.

Spike

Reaction score
Relax..

that's easy for you to say, the Flyers are expected to suck every year

Spike

Reaction score

Spike

Reaction score
Officially, Dan Bylsma remained the coach, though he was not spotted by players around the hockey operations offices in the morning, and he did not address the media as he had at the end of the previous five locker-clearing days.

Bylsma left Consol Energy Center about 5 p.m.

General manager Ray Shero also was present Thursday, as were senior members of the hockey operations staff such as Tom Fitzgerald and Jason Botterill. Assistant coaches Tony Granato, Todd Reirden, Jacques Martin and Mike Bales also were at the arena.

Only select Penguins players were made available for comment.

Bylsma's absence around the offices was noticeable because ownership favors firing him, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review. Five successive postseason losses to lower-seeded opponents have convinced ownership that Bylsma no longer is the right coach, the sources said.

Those postseason losses, in addition to perceived poor drafts and the team's lacking accountability and overall toughness, had Shero's status in jeopardy, the sources said.

Like Bylsma, Shero has two years remaining on his contract. He also has a clause that guarantees him final say over all hockey decisions.

CEO David Morehouse and majority co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle will determine Shero's future. They have staged multiple meetings, either in person or by phone, to discuss the direction of the franchise, the sources said.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6120016-74/sources-bylsma-ownership#axzz31hIG1Rax

------------------

from his video interview:

When asked if he thought a coaching change was necessary, Crosby would only say, “I think that’s for other people to decide.”

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The fan base here in PGH is pissed, and feels majorly betrayed. There is going to be blow back. Blow back in terms of tickets sales, merchandise sales, fan enthusiasm, and support for this team. The only cure is winning,,,,winning in the post season. If this team can't get it done, replace them with those that can. Period.

The Newspaper Whose Name We Dare Not Speak reports today that the waiting list for Pens season tickets is down from 9500 at the end of 2012 to 4400 today. Get 'em while they're hot.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
This organization needs a flushing. There is no accountability. There is poor decision making. There is a culture of arrogance and entitlement. No doubt there is more stink that has not yet been reported.

Already has been blow back tix wise.....I understand there were tickets available for game 7 and that it never did sell out. That's big.

Relax.

**** happens.

Trust your players.

Yes, PO hockey certainly does lend itself to more upsets and weird happenings more than most other sports. BUT.....this team has far too much talent to consistently bounce before the big game(s). The law of probabilities help them what helps themselves.

Yeah i am confused as to what happened. in games 2,3,4 it looked like they were finally clicking. Then they got away from everything that was working. It is very mind baffling.

That has become the standard MO....when something starts working they abandon it. Which furthers my theory that the coaches are too often out voted by the players.

Rod Farva

Reaction score

Already has been blow back tix wise.....I understand there were tickets available for game 7 and that it never did sell out. That's big.

Relax.

**** happens.

Trust your players.

Yes, PO hockey certainly does lend itself to more upsets and weird happenings more than most other sports. BUT.....this team has far too much talent to consistently bounce before the big game(s). Even the law of probabilities says they should have at least made the finals one of these past years....but even the law of probabilities only helps those that help themselves.

That has become the standard MO....when something starts working they abandon it. Which furthers my theory that the coaches are too often out voted by the players.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
93.7 FM has just reported that Shero and Bylsma have been fired.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
A year and new contract too late IMO. Both should have got the boot after the Bruins series last year...
True dat.
I already posted to a bud of mine on FB who is a junior hockey coach in Pittsburgh to update his resume. He replied that he's won more championships since 2009 than Bylsma has.

Spike

Reaction score
OK - so just Shero gone at this time - new GM will decide things

Steel G

Reaction score
Day 1: "With my first act as new GM, I am pleased to announce that Dan Bylsma has been shitcanned."

Yeah, so why not just can him now and let him look for work elsewhere? Seems kind of weird to me, but whatever.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I am seeing the opposite. The AP said Bylsma is fired, but Shero's status is still uncertain. That was about 40 mins ago.

Spike

Reaction score
Day 1: "With my first act as new GM, I am pleased to announce that Dan Bylsma has been shitcanned."

or Mario just sacrificed Shero for Bylsma.

I can't see a new GM doing anything Mario doesn't want

Spike

Reaction score
Stan Savran is going off...calling Mario a chicken for dumping the coaching decision on the new GM