• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let's Go PENS!

Scott T

Forefather
Reaction score
Disco Dan needs to find a new job...like before the next game

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Arright....cheerleading homer time. They can win this series. Boston and Philly could lose theirs.....I like a Pens NY matchup.

What? It could happen......

Spike

Reaction score
veddy interesting...

"Neither Crosby nor Malkin have scored a goal in the last six playoff games, and the Penguins have lost five of those contests.

Crosby, the presumptive MVP after leading the league in scoring during the regular season, was not even forced to deal with Columbus' best two-way center, Brandon Dubinsky, as Game 2 went on.

“I saw the success that other guys were having against Crosby,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said. “It wasn't something I needed to chase.”

Not only have the favored Penguins looked far from special to open the playoffs, but their best player also is not even receiving special treatment anymore from the opponent. "

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/pensgalleries/5947865-74/penguins-jackets-blue#axzz2zRI3KdjR

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
A Penguin loss tonight, and you should pack it in. This team is stacked with primadonnas, while the other teams just outwork us. There are many jobs on the line at this time, and change is in the air.

Spike

Reaction score
It's a miracle - Danny boy and the cocky Pens getting called out by local media

Penguins' arrogance astounding

They never learn.

Every time the Penguins start to feel good about themselves, it seems they want to feel better. Good isn't good enough. They are hockey's great narcissists — hopelessly addicted to their own wondrous skill.

Their 4-3 double-overtime loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday provided yet another stirring example, in addition to costing the Penguins home-ice advantage in this first-round series.

The Penguins dominated the first period and led 3-1 going to the intermission. That kind of lead should be good enough this time of year, or as defenseman Matt Niskanen put it, “There's no reason to give up scoring chances — unnecessary ones — when you have a two-goal lead in the playoffs.”

The idea has to be to nurture the lead. To make it last. Defense should be the overriding mindset.

Only it wasn't.

That became clear when coach Dan Bylsma threw four forwards over the boards, including Evgeni Malkin at the point, for a power play six minutes into the period. The move shrieked offense. The situation called for a more conservative mindset — and it's not like the Penguins lack power play-capable defensemen.

The Blue Jackets had no business getting back in this game. Bylsma left the screen door open. Columbus had been dangerous on the penalty kill all season and had scored a short-handed goal in Game 1. There was no reason to take a chance.

Sure enough, Malkin fumbled a puck at the right point. He escaped unscathed. He then was victimized at the left point, which led to a 2-on-1 and Matt Calvert's short-handed goal.

This was sheer Penguins arrogance — and it changed the game for good. They never recaptured control. After outshooting the Blue Jackets, 15-4, in the first period, they were outshot 41-27 the rest of the way.

Afterward, Bylsma explained that he went with four forwards because it worked so well during the regular season. That is true. The Penguins had the league's top-ranked power play. But the playoffs are a different animal. Coaching staffs have way more time to break down opponent's special teams. They look for weaknesses.

Malkin on the point is a weakness.

It wasn't just the coach who fed the goal monster. The captain did, too. Sidney Crosby threw more interceptions than Neil O'Donnell in a Super Bowl. He was “credited” with a game-high four giveaways, more than the entire Columbus team, as he repeatedly attempted high-risk, cross-ice passes.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/5947875-74/penguins-power-columbus#axzz2zRI3KdjR

Lmob0621

Reaction score
It's a miracle - Danny boy and the cocky Pens getting called out by local media

Penguins' arrogance astounding

They never learn.

Every time the Penguins start to feel good about themselves, it seems they want to feel better. Good isn't good enough. They are hockey's great narcissists — hopelessly addicted to their own wondrous skill.

Their 4-3 double-overtime loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday provided yet another stirring example, in addition to costing the Penguins home-ice advantage in this first-round series.

The Penguins dominated the first period and led 3-1 going to the intermission. That kind of lead should be good enough this time of year, or as defenseman Matt Niskanen put it, “There's no reason to give up scoring chances — unnecessary ones — when you have a two-goal lead in the playoffs.”

The idea has to be to nurture the lead. To make it last. Defense should be the overriding mindset.

Only it wasn't.

That became clear when coach Dan Bylsma threw four forwards over the boards, including Evgeni Malkin at the point, for a power play six minutes into the period. The move shrieked offense. The situation called for a more conservative mindset — and it's not like the Penguins lack power play-capable defensemen.

The Blue Jackets had no business getting back in this game. Bylsma left the screen door open. Columbus had been dangerous on the penalty kill all season and had scored a short-handed goal in Game 1. There was no reason to take a chance.

Sure enough, Malkin fumbled a puck at the right point. He escaped unscathed. He then was victimized at the left point, which led to a 2-on-1 and Matt Calvert's short-handed goal.

This was sheer Penguins arrogance — and it changed the game for good. They never recaptured control. After outshooting the Blue Jackets, 15-4, in the first period, they were outshot 41-27 the rest of the way.

Afterward, Bylsma explained that he went with four forwards because it worked so well during the regular season. That is true. The Penguins had the league's top-ranked power play. But the playoffs are a different animal. Coaching staffs have way more time to break down opponent's special teams. They look for weaknesses.

Malkin on the point is a weakness.

It wasn't just the coach who fed the goal monster. The captain did, too. Sidney Crosby threw more interceptions than Neil O'Donnell in a Super Bowl. He was “credited” with a game-high four giveaways, more than the entire Columbus team, as he repeatedly attempted high-risk, cross-ice passes.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/5947875-74/penguins-power-columbus#axzz2zRI3KdjR

If they would have tried to sit on the lead instead of going with a more aggressive power play unit and lost because of that, the complaint would have been they sat on a two goal lead and how the two goal lead is the most dangerous lead to have in hockey because of that...

Spike

Reaction score
It all comes down to passion/desire. The players are not desperate. They are prima donnas. I watch the STL/Chicago series and see teams fighting for every inch. The Pens had a 3-1 lead and TWO powerplays. They could have stepped on their throats. The CBJ players actually had their heads down and looked defeated. We backed up once we gave the SHG up and it turned into the Isles series all over again.

Vader

Reaction score
If they would have tried to sit on the lead instead of going with a more aggressive power play unit and lost because of that, the complaint would have been they sat on a two goal lead and how the two goal lead is the most dangerous lead to have in hockey because of that...

But as the article pointed out, they have power play capable defensemen. It isn't like they couldn't score with a defensemen on the ice. 3-1 lead should be safe in the playoffs. You have to play defense in the playoffs. If you can't then this is what happens. Sloppy passes, sloppy defense and being tied with a team that shouldn't even be on the ice.

Spike

Reaction score
Dejan Kovacevic @-Zero indication of any lineup change, other than Megna/Pyatt entering for injured Gibbons, who isn’t skating. Bennett’s back on Sid line, Stempniak still on third line. Bortuzzo/Despres still a pair, meaning they aren’t playing again. ALL IS WELL.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
But as the article pointed out, they have power play capable defensemen. It isn't like they couldn't score with a defensemen on the ice. 3-1 lead should be safe in the playoffs. You have to play defense in the playoffs. If you can't then this is what happens. Sloppy passes, sloppy defense and being tied with a team that shouldn't even be on the ice.

I'm not trying to defend Disco...I'm just saying that if he had went with a second defenseman instead of a fourth forward like he had done all year, the journalists would have blasted him for being conservative...

Vader

Reaction score
I'm not trying to defend Disco...I'm just saying that if he had went with a second defenseman instead of a fourth forward like he had done all year, the journalists would have blasted him for being conservative...

I don't think they would have if they won the game 3-1. This isn't the regular season. There is no excuse to lose a game when leading 3-1 in the 2nd period when you are on a power play. Playoffs are about defense. They had just given up a short handed goal the game before. You don't do the same exact thing again.

Spike

Reaction score
This isn't about the journalists - I've been saying the same things over and over .

If Malkin's Meadowlarks think they can get away with the same sloppy play and lazy effort they've been using since the Olympics then they need a wake-up call.

bout time

Spike

Reaction score
I want to see a better effort tonight

Badger Bob Johnson ... held up three fingers, "You can lose three games and still win the series."

Stillers

Reaction score
I want to see a better effort tonight

Badger Bob Johnson ... held up three fingers, "You can lose three games and still win the series."

Flyers will try to lose 4 games and still win a series...

Lmob0621

Reaction score
Disco is going to have two defenders on the power plays tonight according to a post I saw on facebook.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Tonight is really close to a must win

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
I'll go farther than that....they lose tonight and we can start talkin' next year.

one talking head, Rossi, I think...said a few weeks ago that Sid and Geno know this is not a Cup winning team.

he's probably right.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
This isn't about the journalists - I've been saying the same things over and over .

If Malkin's Meadowlarks think they can get away with the same sloppy play and lazy effort they've been using since the Olympics then they need a wake-up call.

bout time

Another one? How may times can ya hit the snooze button before you're late for work?

I'll go farther than that....they lose tonight and we can start talkin' next year.

one talking head, Rossi, I think...said a few weeks ago that Sid and Geno know this is not a Cup winning team.

he's probably right.

There's that stellar leadership I've been referencing.

Sidney Crosby threw more interceptions than Neil O'Donnell in a Super Bowl. He was “credited” with a game-high four giveaways, more than the entire Columbus team, as he repeatedly attempted high-risk, cross-ice passes.

Damn sure seemed like more than 4......and I believe Malkin had more than Sid.

Last edited:

Vader

Reaction score
If that is true about Sid then I've lost a lot of respect for him. He needs to man up.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Let's start the chant now.....shoot the puck, shoot the puck, shoot the puck.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, Geno already skateing with his head down and sour puss face on.

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe Sid and Geno will make the trip to Columbus? Anyone heard if they're playing tonight? It was a shame they didn't show up to the game on Saturday.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Question I asked myself.....if I'm a Columbus fan, how do I feel about our chances? Answer....pretty good because that team has already exceeded expectations. Anything more is gravy and that's a good perspective for fans or players. The Pens on the other hand have everything to prove and a huge amount of pressure and we've seen how this team responds to that. We'll see I guess.....

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
The Meadowlarks not getting a shot. Great, another PP. Another scoring chance for Columbus.