• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let's Go PENS!

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't kid yourself if you think this team is going places. We're lucky to have drawn CBJ in the first round. With the exception of maybe Tampa Bay, all remaining teams would be killing us right now. This is just like last year except I don't see us making it to the Conference finals round.
True dat....... however. This team is capable of catching fire. Last night's game could be a launching pad. I hope Flower doesn't burn out.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
With the exception of maybe Tampa Bay, all remaining teams would be killing us right now. .

Another way to look at it could be that when the Pens play like they did in the 3rd period they would kill every remaining team. And, they have a 2-1 lead while Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Kunitz and Letang have zero goals. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
They look like the game plan is "let's see if we can do something." The puck does not stay in the BJ's end for long. But they are pushing our net constantly. It's lame. I also am not seeing much checking into the boards.

They can't get caught up in that with the younger BJ's.....Glass is the only guy in the line up that should focus on that unless it's a easy, can't miss, won't take me out of the play kinda hit....Pens played their game late in the 2nd and the 3rd and the results are evident. Domination.

Another way to look at it could be that when the Pens play like they did in the 3rd period they would kill every remaining team. And, they have a 2-1 lead while Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Kunitz and Letang have zero goals. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

Yep.

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
I've noticed it pretty much all season, but we almost never have anyone in front of the net or in the middle of the attacking zone. Everything is around the perimeter, and Sid practically lives behind the net, where there's no real way to get a shot on goal. Everyone, but especially the "stars," seem like they would rather try to make a clever but low-percentage pass than try to take a shot.

Conversely, the BJs success in this series has been shoveling anything and everything at the net, even with relatively few shots, they're seeing pucks go in. Fleury is a wall when it comes to stopping straight-up shots, but anything fluky is getting past him, and he needs to swallow pucks instead of allowing rebounds like he was doing last night. He's especially bad when it comes to handling those shots that just miss the net and bounce off the end boards right back in front of the net - I think opponents know this about him and do that intentionally to unnerve him. If he boots a puck in off the end boards like he did against the Islanders last year, you can stick a fork in the rest of his career.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Fleury has actually been more than adequate,imo. Not great, but good enough to allow the Pens to win IF they play their game. They've hung the guy out to dry on numerous occasions. BUT.....he should never, ever, ever be allowed to play the puck from behind the net. Why he and the Dmen can never seem to get communication down is a mystery because the b/u seems to be able to.

Spike

Reaction score
interesting...

Any real chance Scuderi sits for Bortuzzo/Engalland?

Dejan Kovacevic: We'll know for sure after practice, but I seriously doubt it. It's worth noting, though, that Kris Letang was paired with Olli Maatta quite a bit later in the game, and that Scuderi logged a low total of 14 minutes of ice. You might see more of that sort of thing, but a scratch ... man, imagine the embarrassment after signing him to that big contract.

Don't misunderstand. I wouldn't play him. I'm just saying the Penguins will.

When you say the Penguins try to control what is said and or written about the team, does that come from the PR Department, coaching staff, Shero, or even higher up?

Dejan Kovacevic: I don't know where it originates, though I know it's manifested at the level of the communications department. No other team in Pittsburgh behaves that way. No other team which I'm aware, though they might well exist, behaves that way. The Penguins are obsessive about controlling their message, to a freakish extent.

Heard your update on TribLive Radio. I agree 100% about Crosby. The biggest issue right now has to be that he isn't enjoying himself. Is there too much pressure on him? Is he frustrated about something?

Dejan Kovacevic: What my point was today on Ken Laird's show was that Sid just looks like he needs to start having a little fun. As I mentioned on air, Marc-Andre Fleury looked delighted with the game afterward last night, all slumped back at his stall looking like he could use a cigarette. Brandon Sutter visibly enjoyed it, too. Sid's a little tight right now, no question.

Craig Adams took a reckless high sticking penalty in the offensive zone in Game 2. Did Bylsma bench him the way he benched Jokinen for a similar offensive zone penalty, and if not, why not?

Dejan Kovacevic: If I told you that there are certain players on the team who flat-out scare the coaching staff, you wouldn't believe me, so I won't bother.

All I'm saying on that right now, too.

Is it true the Pens D are timed by the coaching staff to make quick passes forward regardless of whether it's a safe play or not? If so, are they unhappy with this?

Dejan Kovacevic: There are a lot of things about the current system that the Penguins' defensemen, current and former, do not like. An awful lot. That's one of them, but the biggest is the lack of protection on the forecheck. Everything has to go exactly right in the neutral zone for those guys to avoid getting killed, and everything doesn't always go right.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankov...8990-74/dejan-kovacevic-comment#ixzz2zdrSHkP3

Spike

Reaction score
yes - they are frustrating

I am heavily medicated for the start of every game.

Spike

Reaction score
Anybody but the Evil habs.

Go Rags!

If we best them next series and Boston eventually loses to the Habs we are in like flint

they are softer than we are

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
That was some bullshit. Were the Pens even strength at all in the 2nd? MAF isn't a basket case tonight. Hopefully he holds up in the 3rd.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
******* MAF. Why why leave the net. Why. Playing great all game to do some bone head ****. Ahh. We better win this game or

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Fleury. Really? Man,they had it won and in one blinding stupid moment, Fleury pisses it away and sends it to overtime. This guy apparently gets up and eats copius amounts of dumb ***. Daily.

Ironcitysteelers

Contributor
Reaction score
I blame him a lot for this. But but. Our Boneheaded penalties we took to allow goal two killed us too.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
23 seconds to go and Flower decides he wants to be a hockey player.

Jfc

Spike

Reaction score
**** you Fleury you ******* piece of ******* ****

2 shots in 13 min and you have to goosing for a puck with 20 sec left

Steel G

Reaction score
Most maddening team on the planet.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to throw a brick at his head. He better be perfect in OT.

Vader

Reaction score
That was too easy. Stick a fork in them, they are done.

Ironcitysteelers

Contributor
Reaction score
I have to agree. MAF just ****** us twice in under two min. From the blue line !!! Jfc. Ahh. Winning 98.7 percent of the game doesn't count as a win with this team right now.