• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling making racist remarks

ark steel

Reaction score
No, I'd be pissed, at who I should be pissed at. The person who taped me. And I'd sue the daylights out of him/her if need be. But my boss isn't going to say "Ok, I know she hates me and thinks I'm an ******* but I'll just pretend I didn't hear that, since it was a private conversation."

But if you lose your job, how much do you sue for? What do you get if that person doesn't have that kind of money? Sure, you have a judgement, but it is, effectively, useless.

If he loses millions of dollars due to this and she doesn't have millions of dollars?

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.galganov.com/editorials.asp?id=1636
Drop The Phony Race Sanctimony
Wednesday, April 30, 2014
By: Howard Galganov

I am extremely troubled by the Donald Sterling (LA Clippers) incident, not because of what he said in private, even though his words were offensive, but because of how this is being handled all the way from the President’s Office (Obama) to the news media.

---------------------------------------------

And while the sanctimonious phonies rush to get their kicks in at the vulnerable Sterling, they could add MILLIONS of Blacks and others to their HIT-LIST, starting with the likes of Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan.

PS – It seems that we are experiencing some email issues when sending out the Email Notification of a new Editorial. Some people are not notified, while some are notified several times. This will be resolved shortly.

Best Regards . . . Howard Galganov

And you call ME a racist you old *******..LOL

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is not a partnership. The guy is an ******* but there are others. He owns the team. It is his. Unless there is something written somewhere when he bought the team, they can't tell him he has to sell it or his has to stay away from it. It is his company/team. And, unless there is something he signed, the NBA can't force him to sell. I see a major lawsuit against the NBA unless someone can convince him to sell. How much is an NBA team worth? Several hundred million? Heck, he may be able to sell the team and still sue the NBA for tens of millions. I'm no attorney but it seems to me the NBA commish stepped way out of his league on this one.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My understanding is 3/4 (or maybe 2/3) of the NBA owners must vote to remove his rights to the team. Which would mean they can force him to sell it. I'd guess this was agreed upon years ago.
Whatever ... he said it in private.

One can only assume now that while he dated a bi-racial ***** and let her sleep with anyone she wanted to, that she should have been able to **** guys during timeouts at Clippers games in the owners box (or on the sideline) because if she were denied that then it would be considered racist.

ark steel

Reaction score
But if you lose your job, how much do you sue for? What do you get if that person doesn't have that kind of money? Sure, you have a judgement, but it is, effectively, useless.

If he loses millions of dollars due to this and she doesn't have millions of dollars?

Should also note that with todays technology, it is possible to be recorded even if the person is not in the room with you. Who do you sue if you don't know who did it?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Vincent

@#$% the 'narrative'
Reaction score

Stewey

Reaction score
This is not a partnership. The guy is an ******* but there are others. He owns the team. It is his. Unless there is something written somewhere when he bought the team, they can't tell him he has to sell it or his has to stay away from it. It is his company/team. And, unless there is something he signed, the NBA can't force him to sell. I see a major lawsuit against the NBA unless someone can convince him to sell. How much is an NBA team worth? Several hundred million? Heck, he may be able to sell the team and still sue the NBA for tens of millions. I'm no attorney but it seems to me the NBA commish stepped way out of his league on this one.

I'm not sure about that. My understanding is that since it is a franchise, the franchisor lays down the law....you must abide by the rules, procedures and policies of the franchise or you must forfeit it.
Your corner McDonalds is owned by a franchisee...notice how everything tastes exactly the same no matter which McDonalds you go to.
As a franchise owner, you cant run your business your way for the most part.

Stewey

Reaction score
He would have gotten a slap on the wrist. That is how our society has become. There is no doubt Sterling's comments were terrible and he appears to be racist but there are as many, if not more, black racists in this country. They just don't call themselves racist. Hell, Sharpton made major racist comments against whites all through the 90's and he is looked at as some sort of leader or messiah. It is totally hypocritical. Since Obama and the Dems have taken over the country, racism in this country has gotten worse than I can remember. And, no, I'm not just talking white racism against blacks. The divisiveness they have been preaching has truly hurt this country and taken it back at least 20 or 30 years in race relations. It makes me sick to listen to these ********.

Yep, none of these liberal democrats below , white or black would consider themselves racists.
Sterling contributed major $$$ to the democrat party, and was betryed by his fellow racists..

"(Obama’s) a nice person, he’s very articulate this is what’s been used against him, but he couldn’t sell watermelons if it, you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic." -- Dan Rather

“White folks was in the caves while we [blacks] was building empires … We built pyramids before Donald Trump ever knew what architecture was … we taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it." -- Al Sharpton

"‘Hymies.’ ‘Hymietown.’" -- Jesse Jackson’s description of New York City while on the 1984 presidential campaign trail.

"A few years ago, (Barack Obama) would have been getting us coffee." -- Bill Clinton to Ted Kennedy

"The Israeli puppeteer travels to Washington and meets with the puppet in the White House. He then goes down Pennsylvania Avenue and meets with the puppets in Congress. The Israeli leader then 'brings back millions of dollars' in aid to Israel." -- Ralph Nader

"(Harry Reid) was wowed by Obama's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." -- Harry Reid's comments reported by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann

"I do not think it is an exaggeration at all to say to my friend from West Virginia [Sen. Robert C. Byrd, a former Ku Klux Klan recruiter] that he would have been a great senator at any moment. . . . He would have been right during the great conflict of civil war in this nation." -- Former Democratic Senator Christopher Dodd (D.,Conn.)

“Civil rights laws were not passed to protect the rights of white men and do not apply to them.” -- Mary Frances Berry, former Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

"Tainting the tea party movement with the charge of racism is proving to be an effective strategy for Democrats. There is no evidence that tea party adherents are any more racist than other Republicans, and indeed many other Americans. But getting them to spend their time purging their ranks and having candidates distance themselves should help Democrats win in November. Having one’s opponent rebut charges of racism is far better than discussing joblessness." -- Mary Frances Berry, former Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

10) “Well, because the Arabs who were involved in 9/11 cooperated with the Zionists, actually. It was a cooperation. They gave them the perfect excuse to denounce all Arabs. It’s a racist sort of thing, really racist – you know, picking out these 19 or 20 terrorists – they were terrorists – and saying all the Arabs are like them.” — Former Democratic Senator James Abourezk on Hizbullah TV

"Let me see one of you adopt one of those ugly black babies." -- Abortionist Ashutosh Ron Virmani

“There’s no great, white bigot; there’s just about 200 million little white bigots out there.” -- USA Today columnist Julienne Malveaux

"Them Jews aren’t going to let (Obama) talk to me. I told my baby daughter, that he’ll talk to me in five years when he’s a lame duck, or in eight years when he’s out of office. …They will not let him talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is.” -- Jeremiah Wright

"There’s white racist DNA running through the synapses of his or her brain tissue. They will kill their own kind, defend the enemies of their kind or anyone who is perceived to be the enemy of the milky white way of life." -- Jeremiah Wright

"The white man is our mortal enemy, and we cannot accept him. I will fight to see that vicious beast go down into the lake of fire prepared for him from the beginning, that he never rise again to give any innocent black man, woman or child the hell that he has delighted in pouring on us for 400 years.” -- Louis Farrakhan

“White people shouldn’t be allowed to vote. It’s for the good of the country and for those who’re bitter for a reason and armed because they’re scared.” -- Left-wing journalist Jonathan Valania

"(Joseph Lowery) said that when he was a young militant, he used to say all white folks were going to hell. ...'Then he mellowed and just said most of them were. Now, he said, he is back to where he was.’" -- The Daily Mail quotes Joseph Lowery, who gave the benediction at President Obama’s inauguration

"We are owned by propagandists against the Arabs. There’s no question about that. Congress, the White House, and Hollywood, Wall Street, are owned by the Zionists. No question in my opinion. They put their money where their mouth is…We’re being pushed into a wrong direction in every way." -- Helen Thomas

“You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent.” -- Joe Biden

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” -- Joe Biden

"I give interracial couples a look. Daggers. They get uncomfortable when they see me on the street." -- Spike Lee

“I want to go up to the closest white person and say: ‘You can’t understand this, it’s a black thing’ and then slap him, just for my mental health.” — New York City Councilman, Charles Barron

"We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops. They ought to go." -- Marion Barry

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person…” -- Barack Obama

Black Americans watch the same nightly news as ordinary Americans."- Bill Clinton

Stewey

Reaction score
Mahatma Gandhi "ran a gas station down in Saint Louis."

-Senator Hillary Clinton

Some junior high n*gger kicked Steve's *** while he was trying to help his brothers out; junior high or sophomore in high school. Whatever it was, Steve had the n*gger down. However it was, it was Steve's fault. He had the n*gger down, he let him up. The n*gger blindsided him."

-- Roger Clinton, the President's brother on audiotape

"You'd find these potentates from down in Africa, you know, rather than eating each other, they'd just come up and get a good square meal in Geneva." -- Fritz Hollings (D, S.C.)

"Is you their black-haired answer-mammy who be smart? Does they like how you shine their shoes, Condoleezza? Or the way you wash and park the whitey's cars?"

-- Left-wing radio host Neil Rogers

Blacks and Hispanics are "too busy eating watermelons and tacos" to learn how to read and write." -- Mike Wallace, CBS News. Source: Newsmax

Black on Black

Republicans bring out Colin Powell and J.C. Watts because they have no program, no policy. They have no love and no joy. They'd rather take pictures with black children than feed them." -- Donna Brazile, Al Gore's Campaign Manager for the 2000 election

(On Clarence Thomas) "A handkerchief-head, chicken-and-biscuit-eating Uncle Tom." -- Spike Lee

"He's married to a white woman. He wants to be white. He wants a colorless society. He has no ethnic pride. He doesn't want to be black."

-- California State Senator Diane Watson's on Ward Connerly's interracial marriage

Comments From The Past

"I think one man is just as good as another so long as he's not a n*gger or a Chinaman. Uncle Will says that the Lord made a White man from dust, a n*gger from mud, then He threw up what was left and it came down a Chinaman. He does hate Chinese and Japs. So do I. It is race prejudice, I guess. But I am strongly of the opinion Negroes ought to be in Africa, Yellow men in Asia and White men in Europe and America."
-Harry Truman (1911) in a letter to his future wife Bess

"Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."

-- Former Klansman and current US Senator Robert Byrd, a man who is referred to by many Democrats as the "conscience of the Senate", in a letter written in 1944, after he quit the KKK.

"I am a former kleagle of the Ku Klux Klan in Raleigh County and the adjoining counties of the state .... The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia .... It is necessary that the order be promoted immediately and in every state of the Union. Will you please inform me as to the possibilities of rebuilding the Klan in the Realm of W. Va .... I hope that you will find it convenient to answer my letter in regards to future possibilities."

-- Former Klansman and current US Senator Robert Byrd, a man who is referred to by many Democrats as the "conscience of the Senate", in a letter written in 1946, after he quit the KKK.

"These laws [segregation] are still constitutional and I promise you that until they are removed from the ordinance books of Birmingham and the statute books of Alabama, they will be enforced in Birmingham to the utmost of my ability and by all lawful means."

-- Democrat Bull Connor (1957), Commissioner of Public Safety for Birmingham, Alabama

"I'll have those n*ggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years."

-- Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One according Ronald Kessler's Book, "Inside The White House"

(On New York) "K*ketown." -- Harry Truman in a personal letter

On Jews

"You f*cking Jew b@stard." -- Hillary Clinton to political operative Paul Fray. This was revealed in "State of a Union: Inside the Complex Marriage of Bill and Hillary Clinton" and has been verified by Paul Fray and three witnesses.

"The Jews don't like Farrakhan, so they call me Hitler. Well, that's a good name. Hitler was a very great man. He rose Germany up from the ashes." -- Louis Farrakhan (1984) who campaigned for congresswoman Cynthia McKinney in 2002

"Now that nation called Israel, never has had any peace in forty years and she will never have any peace because there can never be any peace structured on injustice, thievery, lying and deceit and using the name of God to shield your dirty religion under his holy and righteous name." -- Louis Farrakhan who campaigned for congresswoman Cynthia McKinney in 2002,

1984' 'Hymies.' 'Hymietown.' -- Jesse Jackson's description of New York City while on the 1984 presidential campaign trail.

"Jews — that's J-E-W-S." -- Democratic state representative Bill McKinney on why his daughter Cynthia lost in 2002

On Whites

"I want to go up to the closest white person and say: 'You can't understand this, it's a black thing' and then slap him, just for my mental health."

-- Charles Barron, a New York city councilman at a reparations rally, 2002

"Civil rights laws were not passed to protect the rights of white men and do not apply to them." -- Mary Frances Berry, Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

(I) "will not let the white boys win in this election." -- Donna Brazile, Al Gore's Campaign Manager on the 2000 election

"The old white boys got taken fair and square." -- San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown after winning an election

"There are white n*ggers. I've seen a lot of white n*ggers in my time." -- Former Klansman and Current US Senator Robert Byrd, a man who is referred to by many Democrats as the "conscience of the Senate" in March of 2001

"The Medicaid system must have been developed by a white male slave owner. It pays for you to be pregnant and have a baby, but it won't pay for much family planning." -- Jocelyn Elders

The white man is our mortal enemy, and we cannot accept him. I will fight to see that vicious beast go down into the lake of fire prepared for him from the beginning, that he never rise again to give any innocent black man, woman or child the hell that he has delighted in pouring on us for 400 years." -- Louis Farrakhan who campaigned for congresswoman Cynthia McKinney in 2002, City College audience in New York

"There's no great, white bigot; there's just about 200 million little white bigots out there." -- USA Today columnist Julienne Malveaux

"We have lost to the white racist press and to the racist reactionary Jewish misleaders." -- Former Rep. Gus Savage (D-Illinois) after his defeat 1992

"White folks was in caves while we was building empires... We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it." -- Rev. Al Sharpton in a 1994 speech at Kean College, NJ, cited in "Democrats Do the Dumbest Things

"The white race is the cancer of human history." -- Susan Sontag

"Reparations are a really good way for white people to admit they're wrong." -- Zack Webb, University Of Kentucky NAACP

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
Unless there is something written somewhere when he bought the team, they can't tell him he has to sell it or his has to stay away from it

There is. As an NBA owner you agree to their by-laws, you agree to giving the commissioner the right to levy fines and penalties against you, you agree to give the other owners the right to vote you out.

I'm not sure about that. My understanding is that since it is a franchise, the franchisor lays down the law....you must abide by the rules, procedures and policies of the franchise or you must forfeit it.
Your corner McDonalds is owned by a franchisee...notice how everything tastes exactly the same no matter which McDonalds you go to.
As a franchise owner, you cant run your business your way for the most part.

Exactly.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
http://www.galganov.com/editorials.asp?id=1636
Drop The Phony Race Sanctimony
Wednesday, April 30, 2014
By: Howard Galganov

I am extremely troubled by the Donald Sterling (LA Clippers) incident, not because of what he said in private, even though his words were offensive, but because of how this is being handled all the way from the President’s Office (Obama) to the news media.

The moment we accept that PRIVATE conversation and independent thoughts are subject to CENSORSHIP, coupled with PUNISHMENT, we as a society are done.
I WANT DONALD STERLING TO FIGHT:

I don’t care what rules the NBA have in their ownership contracts . . . NONE of those deserve to include punishment for THOUGHT and PRIVATE speech.
NO FREE SOCIETY CAN TOLERATE THOUGHT POLICE:

And if the NBA really believes that it has both the moral and legal authority to BAN anyone from their own building, club room, and business, because they don’t like what that person thinks or says in PRIVATE, then just shut down the whole miserable league.
PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES ARE AMONGST THE MOST REPRESSIBLE PEOPLE:

And . . . if this type of ORWELLIAN punishment is acceptable to apply to Donald Sterling, then the NBA better start applying it to all of its NBA Players as well, since I’m absolutely 100% certain, that there are no shortage of players who hate Whites, treat women with total disrespect, take drugs, and do and say all kinds of things in their private lives that would make most people cringe.

If the people are that offended by Donald Sterling’s Racist remarks, let them not go to his Clipper games. If the advertisers and sponsors don’t want to be associated with Donald Sterling for his PRIVATE thoughts and comments, they can stop buying ads and sponsoring his team. And if the players are so upset with their boss’s comments, they should stop taking his multi-million dollar paychecks.

But . . . for the NBA to ARBITRARILY decide that Sterling can’t attend any NBA games, NOT EVEN HIS OWN TEAM’S in his own building, is so far over the top, that it defies words. Or that he MUST sell his business and pay a 2.5 million dollar fine, because his PRIVATE thoughts have become public . . . puts this league into the Hitler, Stalin, Mao Zedong idealism of FREEDOM.
MORE DISGUSTING THAN THE NBA IS THE MEDIA:

The whole world and the American DREAM are coming apart at the seams, but it seems that the most important issue is Sterling’s PRIVATE conversation.

It doesn’t matter which Media . . . ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, FOX – etcetera, before any of their talking heads deals with the issue, they fall all over their tongues to convince their listeners/viewers that they REALLY . . . I mean REALLY abhor the views of Donald Sterling, as if when they report on this NON-ISSUE, they’ll be sullied just by association through the reportage.
THE MOST IRREVERENT AL SHARPTON:

Al Sharpton is one of North America’s WORST RACE-BAITERS, who also happened to be a “rat” for the FBI, who was a drug dealer, and responsible for the racially motivated murder of innocent people at Freddie's Fashion Mart . . . is none other than Al Sharpton.

Amongst so many Sharpton OUTRAGES . . . Sharpton led the FALSE race accusations that pitted the Black Community against White America in the fabricated Rape of Tawana Brawley, which destroyed the good names and careers of White People, whose only crime was being in the Cross-Hair of Sharpton.

Even though Sharpton is a despicable Black RACIST, who also HATES Jews, he is perceived by Cowardly Kiss-*** Whites as a Civil Rights Warrior.
WHERE WAS THE OUTRAGE AGAINST OBAMA’S PREACHER JEREMIAH WRIGHT?

And just recently, even though Sharpton is the SCUM of humanity, President Barack Obama had no problem taking time away from serous issues of State, to be the KEY NOTE speaker at the RACE-BAITER Sharpton’s National Activist Network Conference on April 11, 2014.

Then again, didn’t Obama sit in the pews of the HORRIBLE Reverend Wright’s Black liberationist Church for twenty years, as Wright spewed HATRED against Whites, Jews, America and Israel?
SCRAP THE DOUBLE STANDARDS:

If destroying Donald Sterling for his thoughts and PRIVATE conversation with the SCRAG who’s been shaking him down, is reason enough for the NBA, Media, and Holier-Than-Thou Liberals . . . to publicly “LYNCH” this man, they better do it Sharpton too.

And while the sanctimonious phonies rush to get their kicks in at the vulnerable Sterling, they could add MILLIONS of Blacks and others to their HIT-LIST, starting with the likes of Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan.

PS – It seems that we are experiencing some email issues when sending out the Email Notification of a new Editorial. Some people are not notified, while some are notified several times. This will be resolved shortly.

Best Regards . . . Howard Galganov

.[/QUOTE]

I should get paid for this stuff.....my abridged version preceded the Joos.

Freedom of speech and of association. What's the big ******* problem? Anyone think the black guys that play for him can't wait to get out of practice so they can go hang with some white folk? The guy will probably be treated like a pariah socially....and may even deserve it.....but if there are any official sanctions against him from the league or any other organizations that would be just as wrong, imo.

sodom hussein ain't no black man. sodom hussein is beneath his office.

Thus the " s.......and agreed.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
In another of the thousand articles on this subject, they discuss the very real possibility that he will sue the NBA....

Sterling suing the NBA and owners

In addition to concern about proper interpretation of the relevant language, some owners may worry about the prospect that Sterling will sue. Sterling, an attorney, is regarded as one of the most litigious owners in professional sports. If there is one owner who would sue over expulsion, it's probably him. Sterling could seek a court injunction preventing the NBA from expelling him. Such a move would likely happen immediately after he is voted out. He could also file a lawsuit raising breach of contract and antitrust claims.

A breach of contract claim would contend that Sterling's contract with the NBA through his franchise agreement has been unlawfully severed. The NBA, however, is poised to stress that owners agree to language limiting opportunities for owners to sue the NBA and fellow owners. In their franchise agreements, NBA owners agree to "waiver of recourse" verbiage. The language has the effect of eliminating opportunities for owners to pursue legal recourse against the NBA and fellow owners.

An antitrust claim would likely center on both California and federal antitrust laws, and contend that the NBA and its teams have conspired in an anti competitive way to oust Sterling and make him sell his team at below-market value. Sterling would likely cite reports the NBA may be interested in Magic Johnson buying the Clippers as evidence the league is trying to force a sale to a specific buyer, rather than permitting open bidding. Sterling might also highlight Silver's remarks today that he's confident owners will oust him as evidence of collusive activity between Silver and the owners. If Sterling were to sue under antitrust law and prevail, he would also be entitled to treble damages. Several attorneys familiar with NBA litigation tell SI.com that the possibility of an antitrust lawsuit by Sterling is high.

The prospect of Sterling suing could be a source of worry to NBA owners for at least three reasons:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nb...ba-adam-silver-clippers-lawsuit-lifetime-ban/

Vincent
Racist and ageist... Although the ageism card doesn't play for crackers.

Speciest..not Racist and who you callin' a 'Cracker' boy ?

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score

I realize that.

Look, the bottom line is a bunch of black basketball players are not going to tolerate working for a guy who says "Don't associate with black people, don't bring Magic Johnson or other black people to my games". I mean, it really just is a simple as that. We can all argue the private nature of the comments, the double standards, the illegality of the tape, and those are all valid concerns...but the situation as it exists right now is just not workable, for the team, the other owners or the league in general. And it's hard to feel sorry for a guy who views the people who make him millions of dollars as his inferiors. A stable full of animals who are fine as far as shooting baskets and playing games for him but whom he views as what...perverts? brutes? unclean in some way that they aren't allowed to be in the presence of his girlfriend? Would you work for a guy who felt that way about you?

"Hey, it's not fair, you weren't supposed to hear how I really feel about you!" doesn't really cut the mustard.

Vincent

@#$% the 'narrative'
Reaction score
Speciest..not Racist and who you callin' a 'Cracker' boy ?

Referencing your "old *******" and noting that I, as a cracker, don't get to squawk about any form of discrimination, so I can't pull the ageist card on you. Comedy, like the styling of the BMW E65, doesn't work if you have to explain it.

I absolutely pray that he takes the whole damn league down.

I'll join you in that Brother Rod. It would make for spectacular television. So would them taking the league FUBU.

Disclaimer: I haven't viewed an NBA event since the 70s with 2 exceptions - was dragged to a Wizards game in the 90s and my son made me watch an NBA all star game with him in the 80s. The indignity of the former was mitigated by being seated in the MCI suite, and the latter by the company of my son.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting scenario........doesn't sound like he's sellin' that team anytime during his lifetime.

Sterling reportedly purchased the Clippers for $12.5 million in 1981. If he sold the team today, it would be worth at least $600 million, perhaps closer to $1 billion. Between federal and state capital gains taxes, Sterling would pay an approximately 33 percent tax rate on the difference between what he paid for the team and what he sold it for. For instance, if he sold the Clippers today for $1 billion, Sterling would pay capital gain taxes of 33 percent on a gain of $987.5 million. As a result, Sterling would owe Federal & state capital gain taxes of approximately $329 million.

If instead Sterling holds onto the Clippers and some time from now passes away, his family would inherit the team. The family would inherit the team with a value pegged to its fair market value. As Raiola stresses, the new value of the team would be crucial for purposes of capital gains tax. Here's why: if the family inherited the Clippers and then sold it, they would only pay a capitals gain tax on the difference between the value of the team when they inherited it and the value of it when sold. For instance, if the family inherited the team and it was worth $700 million and then they sold it for $800 million, they would only pay capital gain taxes on a gain of $100 million. In that instance, there would be a comparatively modest tax bill of $33 million.

If the Sterling family inherited the Clippers and simultaneously sold it, Raiola tells SI.com, they would pay no capital gains tax, but still have estate tax issues. However, a transaction could be structured whereby the employees of the Clippers organization could own a percentage of the team. In such case, the capital gain taxes on a sale could be partially or fully avoided.

These tax considerations make it more likely that Sterling will fight the NBA to hold onto the Clippers. Even if he ultimately loses a legal battle, the process of losing could take years to play out in court. At the risk of sounding macabre, Sterling may be motivated to wage a protracted legal battle in order to keep the team for as long as he lives.

Last edited:

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
If instead Sterling holds onto the Clippers and some time from now passes away, his family would inherit the team. The family would inherit the team with a value pegged to its fair market value. As Raiola stresses, the new value of the team would be crucial for purposes of capital gains tax. Here's why: if the family inherited the Clippers and then sold it, they would only pay a capitals gain tax on the difference between the value of the team when they inherited it and the value of it when sold. For instance, if the family inherited the team and it was worth $700 million and then they sold it for $800 million, they would only pay capital gain taxes on a gain of $100 million. In that instance, there would be a comparatively modest tax bill of $33 million.

Wouldn't they pay a massive estate tax when they inherited it? It's like 40% on on anything above 5,000,000.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Wouldn't they pay a massive estate tax when they inherited it? It's like 40% on on anything above 5,000,000.
It depends what state you live in but you probably get ***-raped in CA.
That's why the Steelers restructured a few years ago right after the Rooneys helped get Bomma elected.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
It depends what state you live in but you probably get ***-raped in CA.
That's why the Steelers restructured a few years ago right after the Rooneys helped get Bomma elected.

I'm talking just the federal estate tax. The state tax would be on top of that.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Heard on the news this morning that Sterling is battling prostate cancer, so maybe he really will die before selling the team.