• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Matt Canada Must Be Fired Immediately

Seems like alot of assumptions to make except in our case. I don't understand the purpose of scripted plays there are alot of variables that go into play calling. To me game planning should be focusing on exploiting the other teams weaknesses and you could have a set of plays dedicated to that, but not following then in a specific order.
First 15 in no specific order I guess

Seems like alot of assumptions to make except in our case. I don't understand the purpose of scripted plays there are alot of variables that go into play calling. To me game planning should be focusing on exploiting the other teams weaknesses and you could have a set of plays dedicated to that, but not following then in a specific order.

the purpose of scripting is to test out how the defense will respond to your various concepts. Let’s say you motion out the RB and go empty set. You observe how the defense covered that. Did they have a CB cover? Did the LB follow him out? Did they blitz? You note the defenses response and you look to find matchups you can exploit.

So let’s say you motion out Freiermuth wide. If a LB goes with him, that’s a matchup you want so you can come back to it. If they have a CB or Safety go out to cover, then maybe that leaves Pickens with a good matchup on the other side.

Think of it like playing Battleship. Your opening turns are just trying to find out where the ships are. Once you know where they are then you focus on those areas.

Of course that assumes you have a real offense with play action and route combos to confuse a defense. The Steelers have a collection of stand alone plays.

Think of it like playing Battleship. Your opening turns are just trying to find out where the ships are. Once you know where they are then you focus on those areas.

Of course that assumes you have a real offense with play action and route combos to confuse a defense. The Steelers have a collection of stand alone plays.
Good analogy, and what, about 10-15 plays? Anybody know? I can't read the field like a lot of you can. There couldn't be many since some opposing players have said they knew what was coming in post game comments.

Good analogy, and what, about 10-15 plays? Anybody know? I can't read the field like a lot of you can. There couldn't be many since some opposing players have said they knew what was coming in post game comments.

Bill Walsh started scripting plays for the 49ers back in the 80s. They say it was 15 plays he decided was best. They would practice those 15 plays and the team would know them backwards and forwards. It seems he decided those 15 plays was what was needed to figure out the defense and after that, you call plays based on what you learned in the first 15.

He would however come off script as situations dictate. So if you wind up 3rd and 1, then may come off script for a short yardage play, or if they get close to the endzone, they would come off script.

As for Canada, i'm not sure he scripts at all. Or maybe he scripts a bunch of plays and it takes them until almost halftime to get through them with all the 3 and outs.

it's now a national-level type embarrassment. People in the NFL are beginning to notice.

The more national exposure, the more our front office may notice. Tomlin too, for that matter.

It wasn’t that long ago, maybe 7-10 years, we all decided it was pretty sure he was reading or someone close to him was reading this board. He suddenly spoke an original and talked some of the concept that was bestowed here.

So the odds, the media do make an impact on him, he may have hardened, but still looks.

Salute the nation

Bill Walsh started scripting plays for the 49ers back in the 80s. They say it was 15 plays he decided was best. They would practice those 15 plays and the team would know them backwards and forwards. It seems he decided those 15 plays was what was needed to figure out the defense and after that, you call plays based on what you learned in the first 15.

He would however come off script as situations dictate. So if you wind up 3rd and 1, then may come off script for a short yardage play, or if they get close to the endzone, they would come off script.

As for Canada, i'm not sure he scripts at all. Or maybe he scripts a bunch of plays and it takes them until almost halftime to get through them with all the 3 and outs.

Great description of scripting in your earlier post, thank you.

My concern in this post is this,

1) You’d have to be a fool to not script or “play chess” like calls to start with, while trying to figure out their “D”.

2) Adjustments on the fly should be a normal part of offensive play calling.

3). Bill Walsh is in his own class and most certainly, a GREAT offensive mind.

Matt O’Canada doesn’t seem to have the ability for any one, but all three of the above, elude him like the plague. Wether it’s him, or Mike Tomlin not allowing change is absolutely ridiculous.

O’Canada’s hands may be tied, but he hasn’t shown much improvement from rookie year to current play. If anything, I think the offense has gotten worse.

Salute the nation

Reactions: xjx
the purpose of scripting is to test out how the defense will respond to your various concepts. Let’s say you motion out the RB and go empty set. You observe how the defense covered that. Did they have a CB cover? Did the LB follow him out? Did they blitz? You note the defenses response and you look to find matchups you can exploit.

So let’s say you motion out Freiermuth wide. If a LB goes with him, that’s a matchup you want so you can come back to it. If they have a CB or Safety go out to cover, then maybe that leaves Pickens with a good matchup on the other side.

It doesn't feel like this is one of Canada's strengths. I know coordinators who will run a bunch of plays early in games only to set a big one up later. A lot of Canada's play calling feels like just that, calling plays. Not much seems to build.

your OC should Cater to your QB. Should be on the same Page.

Dictate to, instead of being dictated to. Our offense, opponent defense, ONLY thing is O’Canada just don’t know we are being dictated to.

Salute the nation

Who do you guys think should be the replacement for Canada? I am going out on a limb here an saying he's gone after the season... ( I know big reach). I was looking at Bevell from the Fins or their OC Frank Smith (used to block for Big Ben in college).... I'll hang up and listen now.

Last edited:
Why do you like Bevell? Fins are doing some good things there...

Don't think you are going out on a limb thinking Canada won't be brought back.

m12.jpeg

There's still enough season for O'Canada to save his job.

What would it take, 6 - 8 more wins? If we finish 12-5, I'd say he is retained. If we finish 10 - 7, win a playoff game, I'd say he is retained.

What's the best record we could have and yet have him lose OC duties / job / kicked the **** and knocked outA the Franchise------ ?

Salute the nation

There's still enough season for O'Canada to save his job.

What would it take, 6 - 8 more wins? If we finish 12-5, I'd say he is retained. If we finish 10 - 7, win a playoff game, I'd say he is retained.

What's the best record we could have and yet have him lose OC duties / job / kicked the **** and knocked outA the Franchise------ ?

Salute the nation
I think he has to win a playoff game to be brought back. But definitely just guessing as I have no idea their acceptable outcome...

I think that Bevell brings some different views to the playbook so to speak. He has been in multiple systems and worked well with different types of QB's. He has a history as a QB coach and played the position which could help Pickett in the long run. Very successful with Tua's development over the last couple of years. Great teacher of levels concept to route tree. Overall I think that he's a good influence on a young offense.

Lets see

Id take:
A random coach off of another team, or trainer, probably a ball boy…
3/4ths of the peanut vendors in the stands
Any of those kids selling Girl Scouts cookies in front of the supermarket
One of the homeless people sleeping under tge overpass on second Avenue
Henry winkler with that “ coaching for dummies “ prop from “the waterboy.”
The little old lady sitting at the busstop.
A very well behaved dog
A chimpanzee flinging poo at a playchart
The dumbest member of Hanson
A grade school Madden player
Or a Veronica’s secret lingerie model (at least then I would not mind so much when they show the OC in the booth)

None of these probably make’s anything better … but id guess it would not get worse, either.. probably no difference at all, then once they try to change all the players yet again, we can probably figure out the root of the problem, lol

Current OC’s are out since it’s a lateral move and you’d need their team’s permission or their contract to run out. Lefty is available and has a shot since Shades only hires people he knows, plus he was a QB not long ago and that might be a good thing for KP.

Current OC’s are out since it’s a lateral move and you’d need their team’s permission or their contract to run out. Lefty is available and has a shot since Shades only hires people he knows, plus he was a QB not long ago and that might be a good thing for KP.
Word on the street is that Lefty offered his services to Tomlin, but he has been totally ignored!

As much as I like the idea of the monkey to replace Canada and improve the offense...Bevell would be my choice. Although he does have the stigma of that bone-headed call against the Patriots in Superbowl XLIX. Perhaps he has learnt his lesson.

As much as I like the idea of the monkey to replace Canada and improve the offense...Bevell would be my choice. Although he does have the stigma of that bone-headed call against the Patriots in Superbowl XLIX. Perhaps he has learnt his lesson.
Kinda new here so I am unfamiliar with "the Monkey" I assume Lefty is Leftwich... Sorry for the ignorance... I'll catch up

This thread should be who takes Tomlin's place. If you look at Fichtner to Canada they are basically the same offense. Hell, Todd Haley wasn't that much different. The only thing that changed is our hall of fame QB isn't propping up this house of cards. I would gather when Canada gets fired, I mean contract not renewed, the candidate is internal and will run a very bland offense predicated on short passes and one unsuccessful staple that they will run multiple times a game. Or we get a new head coach and maybe things change.

One thing I mentioned about Bevell a few weeks ago is that he and Tomlin have a brief history of working on the same team. Bevell was the Vikings OC the year that Tomlin was the DC. Bevell checks a lot of boxes for me:
1. Up to date on current NFL offenses
2. As the OP noted, experience in different systems; having been the QB coach in GB, OC in Minnesota, Detroit and Jacksonville and now, and of most interest to me, the QB Coach AND Passing Game Coordinator for the Dolphins during Tua's development the last two years.
3. He's not one dimensional as an OC. In 2013, as Seahawks OC, his offense finished #4 in the league in rushing. Seattle won the SB that year.
4. His time in Miami should have given him extensive knowledge of the Shanahan system.