• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Matt Canada Must Be Fired Immediately

Pickens stated that was the play called in the huddle at his postgame presser. That they actually game planned during the week for it off of the game film they watched. Replay looks like Pickett audibles but maybe he was calling out protection assignments. On the TD pas play though. Did anyone take a look at the middle of the field? Not one WR went there.
Yeah, Pickett was yelling "Randy, Randy, Randy" which would be a protection call at the line for shift Right. If it was a shift left it would have been something like "Larry". I did not see any hand signals or calls to the receivers so if Kenny switched up the play it was in the huddle not after. If it was a Canada call it was a good one. If it was a change in the Huddle then good job Kenny and Canada should be fired like yesterday.

Some reports are floating around now that not only will Canada not be fired this season but won't be stripped of his playcalling duties. That if they were going to can him it would have been done already.

Just wow. I expected their approach would be to not fire him but not relieving him of his playcalling?

Seriously?

Last edited:
Some reports are floating around now that not only will Canada not be fired this season but won't be stripped of his playcalling duties. That if they were going to can him it would have been done already.

Just wow. I expected their approach would be to not fire him but not relieving him of his playcalling?

Seriously?
I read Pickett and Harris have been preaching and they've had a players meeting about figuring things out while tuning out the issues of play calling since it's not going away.

You want to keep Canada for the season, OK. But Tomlin can direct him. Of course, that may be the problem right there. Here's what they can do.Use

1. Decide how you want to block and then get good at that. Seems the steelers are trying to do everything. Some power runs, zone runs, TEs blocking across the formation. In trying to do a bit of everything, they always look confused, because they can't master anything.

2. Steal plays from good offenses. Just watch the Dolphins or 49ers or just about any other NFL offense and steal their route concepts. Not just the routes but the disguise of the routes.

3. Use play action.

Every offensive/defensive scheme they could ever want or need is in house.

They have a 50 year library of sucessful plays and concepts. There's nothing new under the sun.

You don't need to reinvent the wheel. Take what is useful and discard what is not for the personnel that you have.

Seriously?
I honestly think he will get an extension after the season. Letting him walk is what will surprise me. Tomlin won't do it. Letting him walk is going to have to come down from Rooney.

I honestly think he will get an extension after the season. Letting him walk is what will surprise me. Tomlin won't do it. Letting him walk is going to have to come down from Rooney.
Tomlin or Canada? I don’t see any circumstance that Canada isn’t just let walk. Like Fichtner, Haley and Arians. Tomlin though could get extended if Art remains in control. I really hope Art steps down and even though he’s really young I hope Dan takes over. Not that Dan. He’s young, football guy as a former college QB and is the director of business for the team currently. He’s really young so I’m sure they won’t because Art feels the President should count numbers and follow their social narrative.

Seriously?
Again, if they do any of those things that would be admitting that Shades made a mistake hiring his buddy who was not remotely qualified for either job he’s had with the Steelers.

If it’s up to Shades, Duh will be here as long as it takes for him to figure it out.
It’ll be up to Deuce and Omar to tell him, “Ah, no, our O has been at the bottom of the pile with three different QB’s since he’s been here.

Every offensive/defensive scheme they could ever want or need is in house.

They have a 50 year library of sucessful plays and concepts. There's nothing new under the sun.

You don't need to reinvent the wheel. Take what is useful and discard what is not for the personnel that you have.

It’s the deciphering of the personnel and the plays that have O’Canada missing in action.

O’Canada doesn’t seem to have that “it” factor of planing / scheming / rationalizing all at the same time when needed, in game decisions that make sense Are far between.

Salute the nation

Last edited:
Tomlin or Canada? I don’t see any circumstance that Canada isn’t just let walk. Like Fichtner, Haley and Arians. Tomlin though could get extended if Art remains in control. I really hope Art steps down and even though he’s really young I hope Dan takes over. Not that Dan. He’s young, football guy as a former college QB and is the director of business for the team currently. He’s really young so I’m sure they won’t because Art feels the President should count numbers and follow their social narrative.

Dan M Rooney is in his 30’s, so they might not let him take over until he is at least 40… they seem to be moving him through all the various departments of the team to get him experience at everything… when they fully move him into upper executive areas someone else might be running the team for a bit… what I really want is art jr to retire, Dan Jr to take his place, then art 2 to move back into the VP role and Dan Jr to take over sooner…

It’s the deciphering of the personel and the plays that have O’Canada missing in action.

O’Canada doesn’t seem to have that “it” factor of planing / scheming / rationalizing all at the same time when needed, in game decisions that make sense Are far between.

Salute the nation

See I had high hopes for Canada.. he just failed because of lack of nfl ability…
I love an OC that stays in the booth to observe everything… it makes instant diagnostic decisions easier
I adore pre snap motion.. used correctly it destroys defensive coverages or exposes them
Traditionally the guy used more 2 back sets than we have, but it didn’t follow him here.
We needed to install more modern aspects of offense, like the jet sweep… but we went from zero to 200mph on that… we needed like 60mph lol..
he definitely had none of the technical wr routes that we needed.. the issue is that they brought him in to build a run game but our offensive philosophy above him will never mesh with a modern run game… and we don’t have a capable pass game

Man I hope not. It has been hard watches as it is. Fans suffering through this season with Canada is enough.

See I had high hopes for Canada.. he just failed because of lack of nfl ability…
I love an OC that stays in the booth to observe everything… it makes instant diagnostic decisions easier
I adore pre snap motion.. used correctly it destroys defensive coverages or exposes them
Traditionally the guy used more 2 back sets than we have, but it didn’t follow him here.
We needed to install more modern aspects of offense, like the jet sweep… but we went from zero to 200mph on that… we needed like 60mph lol..
he definitely had none of the technical wr routes that we needed.. the issue is that they brought him in to build a run game but our offensive philosophy above him will never mesh with a modern run game… and we don’t have a capable pass game
Props for having high hopes, but Canada has had 2 good offenses in 20 years as an offensive coordinator and one was at Pitt when he had a team loaded with NFL talent. The odds were stacked against him succeeding in the NFL and we've seen it play out over the past 2+ years.

It’s the deciphering of the personnel and the plays that have O’Canada missing in action.

Salute the nation

That would also include the HC. They are the same.

But worry not,they've already stated Canada is here to stay. At least I'm back at baseline for zero future expectations other than the .500 club or slightly above. Which is the established standard.