• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Matt Canada Must Be Fired Immediately

If you don't think race had ANYTHING to do with Tomlin being hired then you are just naive. His resume was very lackluster. And the only accolade I read about him from the Rooney's is Tomlin was "organized." Not saying that is a bad thing but out of all the things I would look for in a HC organizational skills would not be top the list.
And I say that if you think THE ONLY REASON Tomlin was hired was because of race, you're just looking for that to be so. If race was the only issue, they could have just hired Ron Rivera (the current Commanders HC) and been done with it. No need to even interview Tomlin if they go that route.
And, I still say that the whole discussion is a bunch of socio-political bull ****.

Get out of here with that socio-political bull ****.
I said before he will show everyone his true colors eventually. That guy is a colossal tool.

Well, I will say he and his last ranked passing defense in his single season as DC in Minnesota didn't quite qualify him as the new head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers and connecting the reason why he was hired isn't too difficult. All I am saying is lets not do that again. Find the best candidate and hire them without prejudice.
The Tomlin Fan Club is showing up on 93.7. Caller just said that Tomlin wasn’t responsible for hiring Canaduh.

The Tomlin Fan Club is showing up on 93.7. Caller just said that Tomlin wasn’t responsible for hiring Canaduh.
The Rooney's virtue signaled for their own personal social reasons. It is what it is. Even though the Rooney rule was because of Dan I don't think his intent was to hire based on it. Just trying to bring social awareness. Well, the road to hell is paved in good intentions... and we are sitting on satans lap, boys. Art the Duece hired Tomlin and the team has slowly spiraled down to mediocrity. I think Tomlin probably would be a good positional coach. I just have never seen a guy who had the football prowess to be more than a cheerleader on the sidelines. He's not that indepth with the X's and O's. He's no Reid. I think the best comparison is Dick Vermeil. Players loved Vermeil but it wasn't until an innovator like Mike Martz came in as OC that it pushed him over the top. Tomlin doesn't hire innovators. He hires people less competent to him. Maybe he learned from Vermeil and didn't want to be shown the door as the new young coordinator takes over. I guess in that sense as job security Tomlin is pretty smart.

The Rooney's virtue signaled for their own personal social reasons. It is what it is. Even though the Rooney rule was because of Dan I don't think his intent was to hire based on it. Just trying to bring social awareness. Well, the road to hell is paved in good intentions... and we are sitting on satans lap, boys. Art the Duece hired Tomlin and the team has slowly spiraled down to mediocrity. I think Tomlin probably would be a good positional coach. I just have never seen a guy who had the football prowess to be more than a cheerleader on the sidelines. He's not that indepth with the X's and O's. He's no Reid. I think the best comparison is Dick Vermeil. Players loved Vermeil but it wasn't until an innovator like Mike Martz came in as OC that it pushed him over the top. Tomlin doesn't hire innovators. He hires people less competent to him. Maybe he learned from Vermeil and didn't want to be shown the door as the new young coordinator takes over. I guess in that sense as job security Tomlin is pretty smart.
As Cowher’s players and staff retired or moved on, the team’s performance steadily declined, especially in the playoffs. I don’t see how that is arguable. This is 100% his team now, and we see what we have.
I would add that we also see what the Pats******* have without Br*dy and Ernie Adams.

Well, I will say he and his last ranked passing defense in his single season as DC in Minnesota didn't quite qualify him as the new head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers and connecting the reason why he was hired isn't too difficult. All I am saying is lets not do that again. Find the best candidate and hire them without prejudice.
Ya know, something about this statement just didn't add up for me. So, I went to Pro Football Reference and checked into it.

Tomlin was the DC in Minnesota in 2006. According to Pro Football reference, if one is only looking at passing yards allowed on the season, you are absolutely correct, the Vikings were dead last in that category. You know what else is as important (in my estimation more important) as total passing yards allowed? Passing TDs allowed. Guess what team finished in the top 5 in that category in 2006? The Vikings finished number 4 (14 spots better than the Steelers), allowing only 15 passing TDs on the year.

As a bonus, since total yards allowed are the determining factor for you, in 2006, guess which defense lead the league in rushing defense. The Vikings allowed only 985 yards to lead the league. Now, since I say that TDs allowed is as important (more important) than just yards allowed, it's only fair that I tell you that the Vikings allowed 9 rushing TDs that year to rank 3rd in the league (a spot they shared with Pittsburgh).

How about points against for the year, you say? Well, here the Vikes were definitely average; coming in at 327 points allowed, which put them at #14. Twelve points and 3 spots lower than the Steelers defense.

So, yes, Tomlin's Vikings defense was the worst defense in the league in terms of passing yards allowed on the season. However, I wouldn't say his body of work that year was subpar or made him unqualified for the job. In fact, it made him exactly what I believe this team needs in it's next HC (albeit on the other side of the ball), a young, up and coming coach, full of energy with a proven track record of success.

Now, I'm sure you were unaware of these statistics when you cited the one stat that put Tomlin in a terrible, unqualified light. Otherwise, we'd have to assume you were ... what's the opposite of virtue signaling?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2006/opp.htm

Last edited:
If you don't think race had ANYTHING to do with Tomlin being hired then you are just naive. His resume was very lackluster. And the only accolade I read about him from the Rooney's is Tomlin was "organized." Not saying that is a bad thing but out of all the things I would look for in a HC organizational skills would not be top the list.

It really didn’t though.. I think he was part of a perfect storm.
There were 4 candidates. Whiz, Grimm, Rivera, and Tomlin. Tomlin wasn’t supposed to get it.. he was just supposed to be interviewed to get his name out there.

Whiz jumped ship to Arizona before the process was completed because he didn’t think his relationship with Ben was going to get him hired. I still think that if he had stayed, he would have gotten it

Rivera didn’t impress initially in his interview. He wasn’t a finalist.

Grimm was going to get it, but his alcoholism screwed him, and Tomlin was last man standing.

Thanks. Although I personally think it's time to move on from Tomlin, I think it's idiotic and shallow to say that he was unqualified for the job in the first place and his hiring was to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

I was there last year when they started 2-6

i think he's probably a good head coach, lockerroom leader of professional men, i just wish he would hire better/innovative staff

HCMT record speaks for itself. He has been a HC for 17 years and his W/L record is impressive. It doesn't really matter how or why he was hired now. Something was there, the Steelers saw it and has become a really good HC. Saying that, we have to look at the state of the team right now. A lot of people will not let go of the 17 years w/o a losing record and that is quite impressive. Maybe that's what keeps him employed, but it's time to look at the bigger picture and dig deeper what this team has done and where it's going. There is zero confidence right now that this team is a playoff team.

I was there last year when they started 2-6

i think he's probably a good head coach, lockerroom leader of professional men, i just wish he would hire better/innovative staff
And, I was too. I'm of the opinion though that coming back from a ****** start every season just to finish 9-8 and barely miss the playoffs, or make the playoffs and get knocked off in the first round, isn't good enough.

HCMT record speaks for itself. He has been a HC for 17 years and his W/L record is impressive. It doesn't really matter how or why he was hired now. Something was there, the Steelers saw it and has become a really good HC. Saying that, we have to look at the state of the team right now. A lot of people will not let go of the 17 years w/o a losing record and that is impressive. Maybe that's what keeps him employed, but it's time to look at the bigger picture and dig deeper what this team has done and where it's going.
Well stated.

Mike Tomlin Must Be Fired Immediately​

Fixed it for ya.

Last edited:

Mike Tomlin Must Be Fired Immediately​

Fixed it for ya.
I wouldn't replace Tomlin in-season. I think he has done well enough to have earned that respect. Off-season I am perfectly fine with replacing him and feel it is time. Canada hasn't earned **** neither has the O-line coach they can exit yesterday.

HCMT record speaks for itself. He has been a HC for 17 years and his W/L record is impressive. It doesn't really matter how or why he was hired now. Something was there, the Steelers saw it and has become a really good HC. Saying that, we have to look at the state of the team right now. A lot of people will not let go of the 17 years w/o a losing record and that is quite impressive. Maybe that's what keeps him employed, but it's time to look at the bigger picture and dig deeper what this team has done and where it's going. There is zero confidence right now that this team is a playoff team.
At some point the team has to move on from Tomlin. As in the Eagles/Reid case.....both went onto win SBs. I think it is well past that point in time that Tomlin and the Steelers should part ways.

I wouldn't replace Tomlin in-season. I think he has done well enough to have earned that respect. Off-season I am perfectly fine with replacing him and feel it is time. Canada hasn't earned **** neither has the O-line coach they can exit yesterday.
Including their paychecks. smmfh

Ya know, something about this statement just didn't add up for me. So, I went to Pro Football Reference and checked into it.

Tomlin was the DC in Minnesota in 2006. According to Pro Football reference, if one is only looking at passing yards allowed on the season, you are absolutely correct, the Vikings were dead last in that category. You know what else is as important (in my estimation more important) as total passing yards allowed? Passing TDs allowed. Guess what team finished in the top 5 in that category in 2006? The Vikings finished number 4 (14 spots better than the Steelers), allowing only 15 passing TDs on the year.

As a bonus, since total yards allowed are the determining factor for you, in 2006, guess which defense lead the league in rushing defense. The Vikings allowed only 985 yards to lead the league. Now, since I say that TDs allowed is as important (more important) than just yards allowed, it's only fair that I tell you that the Vikings allowed 9 rushing TDs that year to rank 3rd in the league (a spot they shared with Pittsburgh).

How about points against for the year, you say? Well, here the Vikes were definitely average; coming in at 327 points allowed, which put them at #14. Twelve points and 3 spots lower than the Steelers defense.

So, yes, Tomlin's Vikings defense was the worst defense in the league in terms of yards allowed on the season. However, I wouldn't say his body of work that year was subpar or made him unqualified for the job. In fact, it made him exactly what I believe this team needs in it's next HC (albeit on the other side of the ball), a young, up and coming coach, full of energy with a proven track record of success.

Now, I'm sure you were unaware of these statistics when you cited the one stat that put Tomlin in a terrible, unqualified light. Otherwise, we'd have to assume you were ... what's the opposite of virtue signaling?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2006/opp.htm
The 2006 Vikings ranked 14th in points allowed on defense. So mediocre. Also, why would you run when you can just throw all over the place on them? In his one season as DC Tomlin was average. And that is what we are. Average. Hey, maybe that is ok with you but for me I want to win championship games not say I finished marginally above .500 and if make the playoffs lose first round.

Steelers defense ranks 11th in points allowed. 3 spots ahead of the Vikings. But then the argument would be why wouldn't be about Tomlin but why Dick didn't get hired.

I said Tomlin was mediocre, average, ordinary.

It really didn’t though.. I think he was part of a perfect storm.
There were 4 candidates. Whiz, Grimm, Rivera, and Tomlin. Tomlin wasn’t supposed to get it.. he was just supposed to be interviewed to get his name out there.

Whiz jumped ship to Arizona before the process was completed because he didn’t think his relationship with Ben was going to get him hired. I still think that if he had stayed, he would have gotten it

Rivera didn’t impress initially in his interview. He wasn’t a finalist.

Grimm was going to get it, but his alcoholism screwed him, and Tomlin was last man standing.
If this is really how it played out I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse.

The 2006 Vikings ranked 14th in points allowed on defense. So mediocre. Also, why would you run when you can just throw all over the place on them? In his one season as DC Tomlin was average. And that is what we are. Average. Hey, maybe that is ok with you but for me I want to win championship games not say I finished marginally above .500 and if make the playoffs lose first round.

Steelers defense ranks 11th in points allowed. 3 spots ahead of the Vikings. But then the argument would be why wouldn't be about Tomlin but why Dick didn't get hired.

I said Tomlin was mediocre, average, ordinary.
And you are entitled to that opinion.
You also said he wasn't qualified for the job when hired, and that he was hired because of the Rooney Rule. You're entitled to hold on for dear life to that opinion also.
I disagree and stated my opinion. Which, I'm pretty sure holds as much weight down at 3400 S. Water Street as yours.

If this is really how it played out I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse.
Meh just throwing out what happened… the Rooneys told Grimm he was going to get it, but weren’t ready to announce it yet. They supposedly planned to reinterview both.. but I don’t think they thought Tomlin was really ready yet… grimm jumped the gun and went out drinking with a trib reporter and told him he got it… he ran that story… tge other press questioned the Rooneys, who said no decision was made yet… Grimm showed up to question the Rooneys supposedly still drunk or at least terribly hungover, and the Rooneys decided he wasn’t the best choice…

I worked up in Greensburg during that time and that was the bar scullywag from the player and coach rumormill…

Are we willing to sacrifice one more embarrassing loss in order to have Canada fired at the bye? Or would we rather put up 19 and win and stretch the agony out more?

At some point the team has to move on from Tomlin. As in the Eagles/Reid case.....both went onto win SBs. I think it is well past that point in time that Tomlin and the Steelers should part ways.

This is my take too. I think Tomlin is much more Xs and Os savvy than people here give him credit for.. but he is stubborn in his philosophy and slow to change from a gameplan that isn’t working…

The reality is that Coaches have the majority of their success within their first 5 seasons with a team… keeping them really long often leads to teams overly deficient in areas the head coach is deficient in…

It probably is just time for fresh ideas and concepts

Are we willing to sacrifice one more embarrassing loss in order to have Canada fired at the bye? Or would we rather put up 19 and win and stretch the agony out more?
He ain’t getting fired… but technically I am rooting for a game where we picknoff Lame-ar like six times and still only win 6-3 lol

This is my take too. I think Tomlin is much more Xs and Os savvy than people here give him credit for.. but he is stubborn in his philosophy and slow to change from a gameplan that isn’t working…

The reality is that Coaches have the majority of their success within their first 5 seasons with a team… keeping them really long often leads to teams overly deficient in areas the head coach is deficient in…

It probably is just time for fresh ideas and concepts
There is no card being held up calling plays on offense, no adjustments being made on either side of the ball. Much too often stares and no ideas. Nothing I have seen makes me think he is a savvy X and O guy. Even his answers don't ever hint of that. I always have thought he was a solid motivator and knows basic positional concepts. What is worse is he hires people that clearly aren't proficient in this area as well.

I think he had plenty of areas of strength just never thought that was one of them.

He also failed to bring anyone in that was known to have those strengths.

So he can motivate the men to play better off an embarrassing loss but to in-game adjust and prevent that embarrassment there is nothing. Not necessarily turn around the loss but he can't stop the lop sided uncompetitive aspect of it.

That doesn't scream proficient or savvy with X and Os. Not even a little bit.