• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Matt Canada Must Be Fired Immediately

Thanks. Although I personally think it's time to move on from Tomlin, I think it's idiotic and shallow to say that he was unqualified for the job in the first place and his hiring was to satisfy the Rooney Rule.
It's a moot point whether the Rooney Rule played any role in his hire, he was hired, was competitive early on and managed a SB win with the help of Deebo and an insane catch by Holmes from Ben. In the las 10 years things have gone stale; he'll be great on one of the Sunday talk shows.

It's a moot point whether the Rooney Rule played any role in his hire, he was hired, was competitive early on and managed a SB win with the help of Deebo and an insane catch by Holmes from Ben. In the las 10 years things have gone stale; he'll be great on one of the Sunday talk shows.
Good points. Except I don't think Tomlin is the type to go into TV after he leaves here. He's still a young enough guy at what, (52?), that I think he goes to another team. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of parallels to Reid's career arc.
Edit: Also, every SB winning coach has had help from extraordinary plays by extraordinary players. Tomlin is no different in that regard than (insert name of SB winning coach).

Good points. Except I don't think Tomlin is the type to go into TV after he leaves here. He's still a young enough guy at what, (52?), that I think he goes to another team. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of parallels to Reid's career arc.
Edit: Also, every SB winning coach has had help from extraordinary plays by extraordinary players. Tomlin is no different in that regard than (insert name of SB winning coach).
If he goes elsewhere and does well no knock on him or the Steelers. Everything runs its course. Both could possibly thrive with a reboot.

If he goes to a team that picks it's coordinators, I definitely see a chance for him to excel.

There is no card being held up calling plays on offense, no adjustments being made on either side of the ball. Much too often stares and no ideas. Nothing I have seen makes me think he is a savvy X and O guy. Even his answers don't ever hint of that. I always have thought he was a solid motivator and knows basic positional concepts. What is worse is he hires people that clearly aren't proficient in this area as well.

I think he had plenty of areas of strength just never thought that was one of them.

He also failed to bring anyone in that was known to have those strengths.

So he can motivate the men to play better off an embarrassing loss but to in-game adjust and prevent that embarrassment there is nothing. Not necessarily turn around the loss but he can't stop the lop sided uncompetitive aspect of it.

That doesn't scream proficient or savvy with X and Os. Not even a little bit.

He does a good job of coming up with ways to eliminate other teams best weapons and given time to gameplan his teams have been excellent… he also sports the best record as a road underdog in the league… his issues are more that he comes up with the strategy but then doesn’t waiver from it even when it isn’t working…
He does adjust… it just takes way longer than it should to get through his ego… like how we are starting to run more man after a long time of abusing cover 2 and 3 too regularly…

He does a good job of coming up with ways to eliminate other teams best weapons and given time to gameplan his teams have been excellent… he also sports the best record as a road underdog in the league… his issues are more that he comes up with the strategy but then doesn’t waiver from it even when it isn’t working…
He does adjust… it just takes way longer than it should to get through his ego… like how we are starting to run more man after a long time of abusing cover 2 and 3 too regularly…
Who has he done this with this year? Two 30 point games, one against an injury ridden Texan O-line. (Kendrick looks like he is out for the season -injury update)

I dunno taking it longer to adjust than it should for me isn't ego driven. It is lack of X and O driven.

The reality is that Coaches have the majority of their success within their first 5 seasons with a team… keeping them really long often leads to teams overly deficient in areas the head coach is deficient in…
Or in this case that was about as long as Shades had much of Cowher’s players and staff.

Or in this case that was about as long as Shades had much of Cowher’s players and staff.

Well typically that is the optimal time for any coach to win… coaches can’t be great at everything.. some are great defensive minds, others offensively inclined… some are better dealing with passing and pass D others rushing… some are great talent judges, some are motivators, some disciplinarians… some are fantastic at building a staff, others are great teachers of the game, some are master tacticians and some intuitive and creative.

But nobody is everything… so you inherit the strengths the old coach installed and then add your own strengths to it and you get this overlap where the team is better than just what you get from a single coach’s contribution…

OC - Bruce Arians > Matt Canada
TE - James Daniel > Alfredo Roberts
DC - Dick LeBeau >>>>>>> Teryl Austin
LB - Keith Butler > Denzel Martin and Aaron Curry
DB - Ray Horton > Grady Brown

There wasn't much carryover, but look at the guys who stuck.

Bruce Arians is a very good offensive mind and would've been here longer if his scheme didn't get QBs beat up and hurt. He obviously became a good head coach.

Dick LeBeau is a legendary defensive coordinator. A true innovator and one of the best of all time.

Keith Butler was a legit DC candidate.

Ray Horton eventually became a DC for three different teams and head coach for the Pittsburgh Maulers.

Even Cowher's 2005 coaching staff:

Whisenhunt - future HC
Grimm - good OL coach
Whipple - quality QB coach, college HC
Hoak - long-time RB, excellent work
Arians - WR coach, unreal
Daniel - long-time TE coach
LeBeau - we know how good he was
Mitchell - excellent DL coach
Butler - good LB coach, worthy DC
Perry - so-so
Horton - future DC
Spencer - meh, but ST coach was always a battle with Cowher

That was a excellent coaching staff with a mix of long-time assistants who exceled in their role or up-and-coming coaches who eventually were promoted.

OC - Bruce Arians > Matt Canada
TE - James Daniel > Alfredo Roberts
DC - Dick LeBeau >>>>>>> Teryl Austin
LB - Keith Butler > Denzel Martin and Aaron Curry
DB - Ray Horton > Grady Brown

There wasn't much carryover, but look at the guys who stuck.

Bruce Arians is a very good offensive mind and would've been here longer if his scheme didn't get QBs beat up and hurt. He obviously became a good head coach.

Dick LeBeau is a legendary defensive coordinator. A true innovator and one of the best of all time.

Keith Butler was a legit DC candidate.

Ray Horton eventually became a DC for three different teams and head coach for the Pittsburgh Maulers.

Even Cowher's 2005 coaching staff:

Whisenhunt - future HC
Grimm - good OL coach
Whipple - quality QB coach, college HC
Hoak - long-time RB, excellent work
Arians - WR coach, unreal
Daniel - long-time TE coach
LeBeau - we know how good he was
Mitchell - excellent DL coach
Butler - good LB coach, worthy DC
Perry - so-so
Horton - future DC
Spencer - meh, but ST coach was always a battle with Cowher

That was a excellent coaching staff with a mix of long-time assistants who exceled in their role or up-and-coming coaches who eventually were promoted.

Tomlins absolutely biggest flaw is failing to build a solid staff … and his micromanaging is a lot of tge problem there

It would not surprise me to see us replace Canada and have absolutely nothing change because I really think Tomlin has a huge part of Offensive play design and gameplaning..

He basically said so a couple press conferences ago when he addressed the fire canada chants… he wasn’t concerned because he was involved with the process….
Tomlin wants a safe offense that nickel and dimes up the field and takes the occasional preplanned deep shot.. its a decade old offense that is not a good plan for the defensive adjustments of the current era

Tomlins absolutely biggest flaw is failing to build a solid staff … and his micromanaging is a lot of tge problem there

It would not surprise me to see us replace Canada and have absolutely nothing change because I really think Tomlin has a huge part of Offensive play design and gameplaning..

He basically said so a couple press conferences ago when he addressed the fire canada chants… he wasn’t concerned because he was involved with the process….
Tomlin wants a safe offense that nickel and dimes up the field and takes the occasional preplanned deep shot.. its a decade old offense that is not a good plan for the defensive adjustments of the current era
I assure you that if Shades has his way, the next OC will be Mike Sullivan the QB coach. I’m firmly convinced that Shades doesn’t like new people or people he doesn’t know.

It's quite possible that even if Canada is fired; I can't believe I'm saying this, his replacement is worse.

If Tomlin micromanages everything as reported that he does, a young, innovative coordinator could end up ruining his career by coming here.

Reactions: xjx

Beat me to it, but it correlates nearly perfect.

Cowher had to constantly reload due to small market and stadium proceeds small. (Couldn’t keep FAs)
I haven’t seen Coach Tomlin quite reload in that manner because of NOW the salary cap keeps all teams more competitive in talent.

Salute the nation

Beat me to it, but it correlates nearly perfect.

Cowher had to constantly reload due to small market and stadium proceeds small. (Couldn’t keep FAs)
I haven’t seen Coach Tomlin quite reload in that manner because of NOW the salary cap keeps all teams more competitive in talent.

Salute the nation
So they can keep talent flowing in and stay competitive. Not competitive in a manner that we desire, but competitive in the manner the business model desires.

The FO benefits from the addictive nature of Steelers fans. They strongly believe we won't stop watching, or buying.

They know tickets sell and if the fans resell them ? no sweat off of the ball sackage.

My biggest complaint about Tomlin at this very moment refers back to this thread's headline.
He hasn't fired/demoted Canada or taken away any of his playcalling responsibilities.
The rest of the **** we can argue about/discuss til the cow(hers) come home. Most of it won't change. But not doing something about Canada is criminally negligent.

Tomlin can't call offense plays. He needs Canada for that. Tomlin can't be bothered looking at a play sheet during the game like other coaches. He's above that don't cha know. That's for his underlings.

NEWS —- FLASH

O’Canada will be calling plays this week’s game.

There is no chance that he won’t and the ONLY possibility of him being demoted will come immediately after the game or very next morning.

Tomlin’s answer in his Tuesday presser “Not at this Juncture” shows there is a chance something happens but not conclusive. He can’t do anything prior to this game as he is stuck, no one on the team staff can do better without the bye week time to familiarize.

Regardless of when or if, not much will change other than the team player’s attitude. That might be just enough to approach respectability and a couple wins here and there. Might even save the non-losing season BS epic record and HOF worthy inductee.

Salute the nation

My biggest complaint about Tomlin at this very moment refers back to this thread's headline.
He hasn't fired/demoted Canada or taken away any of his playcalling responsibilities.
The rest of the **** we can argue about/discuss til the cow(hers) come home. Most of it won't change. But not doing something about Canada is criminally negligent.
Don't leave the O-line coach out he deserves a nice slice of the pie.

Serve Tomlin crow at team lunches!

IMO, Tomlin does exceptionally well in interviews. Obviously since the media fawns over his Tomlinisms and the Rooneys adore him. He's likely even more eloquent behind closed doors, as he was when interviewing for the HC position.

Tomlin's fault lies in the loyalty to his assistants. He must think that firing an assistant is the kiss of death to that person's career. There's absolutely no reason for Canada to still be drawing a paycheck from the Steelers. None at all. Yet Canada has full control of the offense.

While it MIGHT be shooting ourselves in the foot to fire Canada before the Rats game, we all know that our likelihood of winning this game is less than 5%... 10% at best. That said, I'd not be one bit surprised if we did squeak out a win against Baltimore. Simply because the heat is on both Canada and Tomlin. It might not be so warm that Tomlin's worried about his job, but Canada should be engulfed in flames at this point. Like we all wish Ogurr was. **** @DBS1970

IMO, Tomlin does exceptionally well in interviews. Obviously since the media fawns over his Tomlinisms and the Rooneys adore him. He's likely even more eloquent behind closed doors, as he was when interviewing for the HC position.

Tomlin's fault lies in the loyalty to his assistants. He must think that firing an assistant is the kiss of death to that person's career. There's absolutely no reason for Canada to still be drawing a paycheck from the Steelers. None at all. Yet Canada has full control of the offense.

While it MIGHT be shooting ourselves in the foot to fire Canada before the Rats game, we all know that our likelihood of winning this game is less than 5%... 10% at best. That said, I'd not be one bit surprised if we did squeak out a win against Baltimore. Simply because the heat is on both Canada and Tomlin. It might not be so warm that Tomlin's worried about his job, but Canada should be engulfed in flames at this point. Like we all wish Ogurr was. **** @DBS1970
Fizuck yizou Sizoop.

Or Tomlin could coach college. Now nobody has a problem with showing up and kicking 60 scholarship kids to the curb and buying a whole new team in the transfer portal. Tomlin has a big name. He can just do that.

If we ride out the season with canada. My fear is that Mike T just promotes sullivan. Fire canada now. Let Sullivan do his thing for the rest of the season and see what we have. We arent making the playoffs with Canada.

Holy **** that's bad. How can anyone even defend that? How does Tomlin defend that? Impossible. Perhaps he has a hand in it, he obviously knows all of these amazing game plans.

They really need a fresh start. What a complete waste of time and talent. I'm will to bet if this next game looks like a **** show, the owner steps in a removes Canada.