• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Member of Congress and Aide shot this morning

Extremism Experts are Starting to Worry about the Left

WASHINGTON — In the spring of 2016, Brian Levin found himself in an uncomfortable position: trying to save the life of a Ku Klux Klan member.

Levin, a former New York City cop who studies domestic extremism as the director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, was documenting a Klan rally in Anaheim, California, when a counterprotest suddenly took a violent swing — forcing Levin to physically place himself between a Klansman and a furious, anti-fascist mob that seemed ready to kill.

It made Levin wonder if in his focus on the obvious subject — the white supremacists — he’d overlooked a growing source of extremism: the far left. “At that point, I said we have something coalescing on the hard left,” Levin told VICE News.

Wednesday morning’s shooting of Republican lawmakers at a baseball practice in Virginia seemed to raise the question again. The shooter, James T. Hodgkinson, was a Bernie Sanders-supporting man from Illinois with a record of anti-Trump rantings on social media. His politics have quickly become a talking point among some conservative pundits seeking a quick political score: proof of a looming leftist campaign against the government.

Experts in homegrown extremism say it’s not so simple — Hodgkinson had no known association to any left-wing extremist group. But they also say that the past few months have seen enough of a rise in politically motivated violence from the far left that monitors of right-wing extremism have begun shifting their focus, and sounding the alarm. They see indications that the uptick in extremist rhetoric and anti-government activism that characterized the early years of the Obama presidency are beginning to manifest on the far left in the early days of Trump’s, and that the two sides are increasingly headed for confrontation.

“I think we’re in a time when we can’t ignore the extremism from the Left,” said Oren Segal, the director of the Center on Extremism, an arm of the Anti-Defamation League. Over the past few months, the ADL, which hosts regular seminars on homegrown extremism for law enforcement officials, has begun warning of the rising threat posed by far-left groups, most recently at a seminar just this past Sunday. “When we have anti-fascist counterprotests — not that they are the same as white supremacists — that can ratchet up the violence at these events, and it means we can see people who are violent on their own be attracted to that,” Segal said. “I hate to say it, but it feels inevitable.”

The evidence is so far largely anecdotal. Levin says that since December 2015, he’s documented nearly two-dozen episodes in California where political events turned violent because of agitation on both sides, something he says he hardly ever saw before. Now, there are violent clashes on college campuses involving groups like Antifa, the anti-fascist group, taking on the alt-right; and aggressive anti-Trump rallies attended by members of the Redneck Revolt, a new pro-minority, anti-supremacist group that encourages its members to train with rifles. Online, hard leftists increasingly discuss politics in dire terms, and rationalize violence as a necessity— even the true inheritor of traditional progressive activism. (Or, in the case of the “Punch a Nazi” meme, a fun game.)

Left-wing extremism, of course, is nothing new. Groups like the Weather Underground and the Black Panthers have deep roots, and in the years after 9/11, Segal says, the largest source of extremist violence was from the Left: eco-terrorists and animal rights activists. But those later organizations mostly targeted institutions; in the modern era, politically motivated violence perpetrated by angry lone-wolf attackers bearing automatic rifles, of the sort carried out in Wednesday’s attack, has until now largely been a modus operandi of the far right.

In a recent interview with VICE News Tonight, a chapter leader of one newly formed anti-fascist group called Redneck Revolt said the group has taken up guns only in self-defense. “We are a response to a rise in politically motivated violence and intimidation against vulnerable communities,” said the chapter leader, who asked to be identified only by a first name, Mitch. “That doesn’t mean that we’re, like, looking for a fight. We’re just trying to defend ourselves.”

Redneck Revolt doesn’t self-identify as “left,” but its ideals tend to fall along the liberal side of the spectrum: pro-Muslim, pro-immigrant, pro-LGBT, anti–economic inequality. But Mitch said that as the group has reached out to other organizations, like the local Three Percenter Militia, a largely right-wing, anti-Obama group, they found unlikely sources of commonality, particularly in their focus on local sovereignty, and general concerns about the direction of the country. Some former members of Three Percenters have even become involved in their activities — after “extensive vetting,” Mitch said.

Chris Hamilton, an expert on American extremist movements at Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas, says anti-authoritarian sentiment may be blurring what once seemed to be clear ideological lines. “If you think about it, leftists never joined the National Rifle Association — unless they were radicals, they never thought about stockpiling weapons,” he said. “Ok. Well, maybe we’re entering a period where leftists will start thinking about things in that way, like the eco-radicals did in the ’70s.”

Hamilton says that as he browses far-left websites and listens to left-wing talk radio, he hears some of the same sentiments he’s been hearing for years on the right. “These days, that kind of sentiment is popping up in the middle and on the left; it’s not just in the sovereign citizen movement,” he said. “I’m really worried about rising civil strife in the U.S.”

Levin is worried about it too: The embrace by the far left of tactics that were previously the purview of the far right means the level of political tension in the country can only go up. “I’ve been going up and down the state of California meeting with law enforcement officials about this. I’m very concerned about it,” he said. “What we’re seeing is the democratization of extremism and the tactics of radicalism. I’ve been warning about this, and nobody gave a ****.”

Tim, a couple of simple questions.

1. Does Timothy McVeigh represent the views of the conservative, right-wing members of this board?
2. Do you support and condone his violent acts?

No? Then shut the **** up about drawing some sort of equivalence between liberals/progressives and the acts of this deranged madman that opened fire in Alexandria.

My heart and prayers go out to Rep. Scalise and his family, and the others that were injured. It's a sad day when anyone resorts to violence over politics, or any other matter.

The vile act of this Hodgkinson ************ is repulsive and unacceptable. At least he went down in a hail of bullets and can't poison the well for years sitting on death row, getting book deals et al.

The fact is none of this should have any affect how people - peacefully - protest and raise their voice in opposition to the president, his actions and policies. America should always remain a country where people are free to voice their opinions, whatever their political persuation.

Yes, liberals and progressives are currently louder and more boisterious than ever. I agree with them. There is plenty to be upset about. But protesting and opposing the government should never resort to violence of any kind.

Last edited:
5dafac4c7f5e2517c0f23499f33ce2ac.jpg

Here we go again. Got it. Repeated Liberal calls for Liberals to take to violence have NO IMPACT on people. None. The countless incidents of violence I've posted by the Left towards the right are just random nuts.

Keep telling yourselves that.

Inconceivable how Liberals can gloss over direct links - cause and effect relationships - with such ease in the name of politics.

Direct link? Really? So are you saying that, now, if you see someone you know to be a liberal or democrat, you actually feel threatened or suspicious of them? Put down the Alex Jones, and walk away!

The fact is none of this should have any affect how people - peacefully - protest and raise their voice in opposition to the president, his actions and policies.

Naivety speaking. The rhetoric is daily. It's often violent. It's often a call for violence. And the violence is happening all too frequently...as I've said...from BLM, AntiFa, and nuts like this heeding the call. You "envision" it has no effect and you "envision" people will peacefully protest. The reality is different right now than what your imagination conjurs.

America should always remain a country where people are free to voice their opinions, whatever their political persuation.

Agreed. However, not all speech is protected. Go into a movie theater and yell Fire. HuffPo and CNN and other outlets outright calling for violence? Staging simulated executions of Presidents? That's tough. Really tough to defend.

Yes, liberals and progressives are currently louder and more boisterious than ever. I agree with them. There is plenty to be upset about. But protesting and opposing the government should never resort to violence of any kind.

We can agree on this. It would be nice to hear you denounce AntiFa, Kathy Griffin, Madonna, the shooter, BLM, and the dozens and dozens of other politicians and Hollywood stars and media outlets that repeatedly turn to or call for violence.

I've long since denounced McVeigh's act of terror, as I have the abortion clinics shooter. I also didn't spend days rationalizing their actions.

Let's make sure we archive this thread, if and when - God forbid - some right-wing wacko goes off the deep end and starts shooting people. Then we can all reconvene and make sure all of you - with Tim at the head of the line - take full responsibility for the murderer's actions. And of course we'll blame Fox and Breitbart for stoking the fire. But, more than anything, following Tim's train of thought, we can all agree ahead of time that all of you conservative, right-wingers on the board surely support and condone his actions.

That is how ridiculous this thread is.

Tim, a couple of simple questions.

1. Does Timothy McVeigh represent the views of the conservative, right-wing members of this board?
2. Do you support and condone his violent acts?

No? Then shut the **** up about drawing some sort of equivalence between liberals/progessives and the acts of this deranged madman that opened fire in Alexandria.

My heart and prayers go out to Rep. Scalise and his family, and the others that were injured. It's a sad day when anyone resorts to violence over politics, or any other matter.

The vile act of this Hodgkinson ************ is repulsive and unacceptable. At least he went down in a hail of bullets and can't poison the well for years sitting on death row, getting book deals et al.

The fact is none of this should have any affect how people - peacefully - protest and raise their voice in opposition to the president, his actions and policies. America should always remain a country where people are free to voice their opinions, whatever their political persuation.

where was this mindset when BLM was given "space to destroy"
do you not see how this has been allowed to escalate?
do you not see how this was encouraged to escalate?

I put this in another thread, but it fits here too:

Some idiot lefty at ESPN said that the NFL is racist for playing the National Anthem. Liberals are out of their minds. They're obsessed with Trump and obsessed with killing American values and traditions. They really should just leave, because they hate America.

I put this in another thread, but it fits here too:

Some idiot lefty at ESPN said that the NFL is racist for playing the National Anthem. Liberals are out of their minds. They're obsessed with Trump and obsessed with killing American values and traditions. They really should just leave, because they hate America.
What an idiot. He says nobody like politics and race injected into sports, and then goes on that weird tirade. I used to like Kellerman on boxing. He can go suck a dick now.

Direct link? Really? So are you saying that, now, if you see someone you know to be a liberal or democrat, you actually feel threatened or suspicious of them? Put down the Alex Jones, and walk away!

So you believe that the incessant calls for violence by the Left have no impact? None?

HuffPo encourages voters to demonstrate, as one of innumerable examples, and to go after Republican politicians at all levels of Government - while they work, while they eat, while they are with their families...to harass them. And we see this very thing happening every week. Politicians being run off the road. Shot at. Obstructed entering and leaving places of work or community locations. And you really believe it isn't connected?

Not surprised.

This is merely a mild example of Betsy Devos, Secretary of Education, being prevented from entering a public school.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qf0Kx2Vmqww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let's make sure we archive this thread, if and when - God forbid - some right-wing wacko goes off the deep end and starts shooting people. Then we can all reconvene and make sure all of you - with Tim at the head of the line - take full responsibility for the murderer's actions. And of course we'll blame Fox and Breitbart for stoking the fire. But, more than anything, following Tim's train of thought, we can all agree ahead of time that all of you conservative, right-wingers on the board surely support and condone his actions.

That is how ridiculous this thread is.

You do that. And when you can provide evidence of Fox News, Breitbart or Rush Limbaugh incessantly encouraging Conservatives to use violence against their political opponents, and something like that happens, I will gladly denounce the current state of affairs and say "we've gone too far." Something we will never hear from you given the current state of affairs where Liberal outlets across the country are exhorting Liberals to violence weekly...and it's happening.

where was this mindset when BLM was given "space to destroy"
do you not see how this has been allowed to escalate?
do you not see how this was encouraged to escalate?

Search the threads. Find any Liberal member of this board who have called BLM a terrorist organization or who has condemned their movement for assassinating police officers and/or encouraging people to do so. You find a lot of rationalization on BLM's behalf.

EXCLUSIVE: Assassination List Found On James Hodgkinson’s Body

James T. Hodgkinson, the shooter who opened fire on dozens of Republican congressmen and staffers at a baseball practice in Alexandria, Virginia, on Wednesday, had a list of Republican names in his pocket that was recovered by the FBI, The Daily Caller has learned.

The news that the shooter had a list of names suggests the shooting was not a random outburst, but instead appears to be a premeditated political assassination.

A 66-year-old progressive who volunteered on Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’ campaign, Hodgkinson’s social media profile was filled with violent-sounding rhetoric against the Republican Party. “It’s Time to Destroy Trump & Co,” Hodgkinson wrote in one post. He also belonged to several anti-GOP groups on Facebook, including one called “Terminate The Republican Party.” The members of that group celebrated Hodgkinson’s mass assassination attempt.

He spewed left-wing talking points on Facebook, consistently railing against Republicans and the wealthy.

-----------------------------------------------------

Shooter’s Facebook Group Celebrates Attack

An anti-Republican Facebook group celebrated the GOP baseball practice shooting committed by one of its members.

James T. Hodgkinson, who shot Rep. Steve Scalise and others during a GOP congressional baseball practice Wednesday morning, was a member of a left-wing Facebook group called “Terminate The Republican Party.”

He was a regular commenter in the group, and some members decided to celebrate his disgusting act in a post.

“And it’s one, two, three shots you’re out at the old ball game!!!” member Mari-Ellen Cain wrote.

Screen-Shot-2017-06-14-at-12.09.14-PM-1.png

Darryl W. Riley commented, “Lol…this was no surprise. We all knew this was gonna happen.”

Robert Blanch responded, “maybe a few real good ones n they will start worrying bout people and not their buddies.”

Screen-Shot-2017-06-14-at-12.14.58-PM.png

“This country is full of hateful racists,” Hodgkins wrote in the group in September.

I just can't..

Too tired, too sick, too frustrated.

Love the Nation though.

Last edited:
Wait, again? Oh, this is just FANTASY LAND...nothing to see folks, move along.

--------------------------------------------

Alert: Dem Leader Now Wanting Followers to “Hunt Republicans”

Democratic strategist James Devine sent out a disturbing message to his followers, essentially urging them to “Hunt Republicans,” on the same day a gunman opened fire on Republican lawmakers.

According to Newsmax, Devine posted many disgusting views all over social media encouraging Democrat Americans to lash out against Republicans.

He also stated that he was not surprised a gunman fired more than 60 shots at Republican lawmakers at a Congressional baseball game practice.

“We are in a war with selfish, foolish and narcissistic rich people. Why is it a shock when things turn violent. #HuntRepublicanCongressmen” in a shocking June 14 Twitter post.

We are in a war with selfish, foolish & narcissistic rich people. Why is it a shock when things turn violent? #HuntRepublicanCongressmen

— James Devine (@James_J_Devine) June 14, 2017

In 2002, Scalise was a speaker at the European-American Unity & Rights Organization (EURO), a group founded by David Duke. #HuntRepublicans

— James Devine (@James_J_Devine) June 14, 2017

Following these horrific tweets, Devine even agreed to speak with local media to state that he will never apologize for his views.

“I’m not advocating violence, but I’m saying I understand it,” Devine told NJ.com in a phone interview.

“I can recognize why it’s happened, because this is the predictable and preventable outcome of 40 years of increasingly vitriolic, violent, corrupt and corporate-controlled rhetoric,” he continued. “This is the chickens coming home to roost.”

In a Facebook post, written on the day Scalise was critically injured when a gunman opened fire on Republican lawmakers, Devine stated: “I have little sympathy for the Republican Congressman who got shot today.”

Read his disgusting post below:

James Devine
on Wednesday

I have little sympathy for the Republican Congressman who got shot today because he viciously opposed President Obama's effort to reduce gun violence and instead, he accepted more gun lobby money than all but 15 other members of the House of Representatives.

Some social media users tagged the FBI and law enforcement officials in the comment portion of his post, hoping authorities will investigate Devine.

And when you can provide evidence of Fox News, Breitbart or Rush Limbaugh incessantly encouraging Conservatives to use violence against their political opponents, and something like that happens, I will gladly denounce the current state of affairs and say "we've gone too.

What if Trump were to boast that he could walk down the street and shoot people and they would still vote him?

What if Trump were to suggest that 2nd Ammendment people could "take care" of Hillary?

What if Trump were to boast that he could walk down the street and shoot people and they would still vote him?

What if Trump were to suggest that 2nd Ammendment people could "take care" of Hillary?

He could and we could. That's why you ******* will lose.

So, again, with all this the violent rhetoric is from the right, yet it is the left rioting via antifa and shooting congressmen.

Crazy that you can draw some weird bullshit moral equivalance.

Even the ******* idiot white supremecist, who are apparently all over the place, and not one shot fired at a black president. Shooting at congressmen by a leftist, though. ...I get it now. I guess.

I believe Ark took care of my light work.

So, again, with all this the violent rhetoric is from the right, yet it is the left rioting via antifa and shooting congressmen.

Crazy that you can draw some weird bullshit moral equivalance.

Even the ******* idiot white supremecist, who are apparently all over the place, and not one shot fired at a black president. Shooting at congressmen by a leftist, though. ...I get it now. I guess.

Moral equivalence? That's a strawman. Tim is arguing a causal relationship. How can you argue that and dismiss the violent rhetoric from the other end of the political spectrum? If that's your theory, would the comments by the likes of Trump and Alex Jones have made this guy feel more justified, or less justified, in his actions?

But, but, but no right wing violence! You have point if you are willing to forget the past.

Bernie's hitman had his orders

Assassination List Found On James Hodgkinson’s Body

James T. Hodgkinson, the shooter who opened fire on dozens of Republican congressmen and staffers at a baseball practice in Alexandria, Virginia, on Wednesday, had a list of Republican names in his pocket that was recovered by the FBI

The news that the shooter had a list of names suggests the shooting was not a random outburst, but instead appears to be a premeditated political assassination.

The list of names included Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks, South Carolina Rep. Jeff Duncan and Arizona Rep. Trent Franks, TheDC has confirmed. Fox News reported after this story that Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, Tennessee Rep. Scott DesJarlais and Virginia Rep. Morgan Griffith are also on the list.

All six congressmen are members of the House Freedom Caucus, which contains the lower chamber’s most conservative members.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/16/e...james-hodgkinsons-body/?utm_source=site-share

I would like to see the lefties defending that Hodgkinson had that list of targeted republicans. Please tell me that because nobody on that list got shot, that it's OK.

Moral equivalence? That's a strawman. Tim is arguing a causal relationship. How can you argue that and dismiss the violent rhetoric from the other end of the political spectrum? If that's your theory, would the comments by the likes of Trump and Alex Jones have made this guy feel more justified, or less justified, in his actions?

But, but, but no right wing violence! You have point if you are willing to forget the past.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.