• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mitchell Trubisky Signing Right One for Steelers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Some of us may have believed in the Pittsburgh Steelers to be uncharacteristic and attempt to trade for Deshaun Watson. This of course did not happen as the team has reportedly signed former Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills quarterback, Mitchell Trubisky to a two-year deal. While this may not be the sexiest move possible to many Steeler fans, it was the right one. The offense did not just get better regarding mobility at the quarterback position, but overall talent as well. Trubisky is no Lamar Jackson in terms of mobility, but it’s surely a step up from the current quarterbacks on the roster.

Steelers head coach, Mike Tomlin has many holes to fill all over the field and this signing all but ensures the organization will avoid taking a quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft. Trubisky spent a year in Buffalo with Josh Allen and many throughout the Bills’ organization raved about his professionalism. Trubisky is a former #2 overall pick and at just 27 years old, has a lot of football left in the tank and something to prove. Many Bears fans argue that former coach Matt Nagy was the reason Trubisky never reached his true potential in Chicago.

We all know Tomlin desired a mobile quarterback and Trubisky is 4th in the NFL since 2017 in yards per carry on scramble runs since he was drafted. His scrambles have generated an average of 8.2 yards per carry.

Mitchell Trubisky has been one of the most efficient quarterbacks rushing on scrambles since entering the NFL in 2017.

Trubisky has averaged 8.2 yards per carry on scramble runs during his career, the 4th-most in the NFL (min. 50 scramble carries). https://t.co/j5qt3CH5CI pic.twitter.com/cZoPEv7wMi

— Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) March 14, 2022

His biggest flaw comes with holding onto the ball too long, however. He has 27 fumbles in 57 career games. Additionally, he has thrown 38 interceptions. It will be interesting to see how Matt Canada uses a more mobile quarterback in his offense. If Trubisky can minimize mistakes and Canada can call the right plays, the offense will be better than it was the last three years.

There is no doubt that this makes the quarterback room better. I’m sure we can expect to see Tomlin cite a quarterback battle between Trubisky, Mason Rudolph and even Dwayne Haskins, but that will be merely a motivation factor for QB1 who will end up being the former Bills backup.

Trubisky’s best season came back in 2018 when he played in 14 games throwing for over 3,200 yards and 24 touchdowns. He’s not a guy who will throw for 5,000 or more, but is a perfect compliment to Najee Harris if the Steelers can establish a rushing attack. Trubisky will remind us of Ryan Tannehill in Tennessee with Derrick Henry if the offensive line is improved and the offense becomes top 10 in the league in rushing. Giving a guy like Trubisky time in the pocket and the ability to effectively run play-action will make him a much better quarterback.

One can only learn so much in a year, but let’s hope he was paying close attention to Allen and now New York Giants head coach, Brian Dabol back in Buffalo. These are two guys that, if he learned from, could make him the best version of himself on the field as we have seen.

This move allows the Steelers to focus on getting better in all other areas through the draft. It is not an earth shattering move, but the right one given the needs at offensive line, wide receiver and on the other side of the ball. Steelers fans can now take a deep breath as the front office and Tomlin did something not only in free agency, but at the quarterback position. The off-season is a long way from over, but this is a step in the right direction to putting together a playoff-caliber team in 2022.

Do you agree with the Steelers signing of Mitchell Trubisky? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

He has a high floor and a limited ceiling . He instantly makes the Steelers a better team and we do not have to teach for a franchise QB, great signing.

I’d say wait for the details of the contract, but hopefully we didn’t get gashed too bad.

I Like competition for Rudy that is not an early pick though.

It’s all fun and games until Rudy pulls a Rudy and wins the job, it’s not like Mitch has been a world beater thus far. Glad to have have a QB controversy:

I think this signing is good, but I also think its more likely that we draft a qb now… its a 2 year bridge deal… perfect to do a developmental pick… i really fear willis is Burg bound now

Trubisky was at the top of my list of free agent QBs. I think he checks a lot of the boxes the Steelers want in a QB post-Ben and I'm excited, but also have realistic expectations for him.

Trubisky was at the top of my list of free agent QBs. I think he checks a lot of the boxes the Steelers want in a QB post-Ben and I'm excited, but also have realistic expectations for him.
Very well said but I disagree with QB draft of another poster. Crappy draft. Get a stud oline or DT. If the Q room fails draft next year.

Very well said but I disagree with QB draft of another poster. Crappy draft. Get a stud oline or DT. If the Q room fails draft next year.
If you want to win with a guy like Trubisky/young QB, build a strong offensive line and defense this year. I am really hoping they make a move or two to upgrade the offensive line.

I prefer they attack the lines in free agency. CB too.

Then BPA in the draft.

I think you bring in a C,G,CB and SS you can then do that...

I'll hold judgment until I see how much we're paying him, if it's a budget friendly deal I guess it's OK, better not eat up too much cal space for a journeyman. Trubisky will not be bringing a Lombardi to the burg, maybe a slight to mooderate uograde to Rudolph. No ******* excuses for Canada now tho, he has his "mobile" QB.

I'll hold judgment until I see how much we're paying him, if it's a budget friendly deal I guess it's OK, better not eat up too much cal space for a journeyman. Trubisky will not be bringing a Lombardi to the burg, maybe a slight to mooderate uograde to Rudolph. No ******* excuses for Canada now tho, he has his "mobile" QB.
I've seen 2 years, $30 million tossed around on Twitter.

I can imagine with the way things have been going we will see a two year $101 mil contract with $90 mil guaranteed that would make him the highest paid QB in the league this year. lol

Not terribly upset about the signing but I don't think he is the one to lead us to the promised land. He should however be able to keep Tomlin at 8-8-1 at the bare minimum.

It's the right move today. I like that it's only a 2 year sign...we're not married...we're merely seriously dating.

Keep the rebuild going in the trenches first and foremost. Then we can look at WRs and DBs.

Hope he is our Jim Plunkett, a guy that was horrible with 2 bad teams and then became a 2 time Super Bowl champion. One can dream.

I'll say it right now...$14 Million for a QB when he was being paid $2.5 Million on the Bills is over-paying for a guy who's an unproven player. Rudolph & Dwayne "Strip Club" Haskins are both god awful but Trubisky is a stop gap at best. I still hope the Steelers look to the Draft to go after Kenny Pickett if he's available.....I just think he's the next big thing when it comes to QB's at an NFL level. He has all the tools and abilities.

I wish Mitch Trubisky all the best but the cards are stacked against him. Alot of people say Matt Nagy ruined the kid in Chicago but last season we witnessed Matt Canada (A Rookie OC) ruin Big Ben by taking away his ability to audible at the line of scrimmage which you saw in many games on Goal Line plays where Ben would execute the play and just walk off the field in disgust as he was not allowed to audible out of Canada's play calls.

Sorry until Matt Canda is gone this offense will be complete DOG ****! Good Luck Mitch!

I would have rather seen the Steelers spend $14 Million on Foye Aluokun the ILB from the Falcons.....money much better spent!

I'll say it right now...$14 Million for a QB when he was being paid $2.5 Million on the Bills is over-paying for a guy who's an unproven player. Rudolph & Dwayne "Strip Club" Haskins are both god awful but Trubisky is a stop gap at best. I still hope the Steelers look to the Draft to go after Kenny Pickett if he's available.....I just think he's the next big thing when it comes to QB's at an NFL level. He has all the tools and abilities.

I wish Mitch Trubisky all the best but the cards are stacked against him. Alot of people say Matt Nagy ruined the kid in Chicago but last season we witnessed Matt Canada (A Rookie OC) ruin Big Ben by taking away his ability to audible at the line of scrimmage which you saw in many games on Goal Line plays where Ben would execute the play and just walk off the field in disgust as he was not allowed to audible out of Canada's play calls.

Sorry until Matt Canda is gone this offense will be complete DOG ****! Good Luck Mitch!

I would have rather seen the Steelers spend $14 Million on Foye Aluokun the ILB from the Falcons.....money much better spent!
14M for 2 seasons, 7M avg

There is a price of rice for a starting QB in this league. With the bitching about Rudolph here they probably weren't going that route. So Trubisky had a market. It's all about when the musical chairs stop. He is being brought in to start. Not back up with the Bills.

14M for 2 seasons, 7M avg
I can handle $7M. I thought I read somewhere it was $14.25 Mil per season. They might have had it wrong! I don't hate the pick but if Pickett is there at #20 you gotta take him!

I can handle $7M. I thought I read somewhere it was $14.25 Mil per season. They might have had it wrong! I don't hate the pick but if Pickett is there at #20 you gotta take him!
hehe it would have been too much per year, agree.

So if you see Pickett as a can't miss talent perhaps you can go back and read Trubisky's draft evaluation.

just read that Trubisky's contract could go up to 27M with incentives. I guess SB appearence, MVP, a set of TDs and yards, etc.

If he earns it he definitely deserves it. Really like these kind of contracts. The only think is they gotta leave some cap space in case it happens I guess