• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

More proof that Cleveland is a **** outfit

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
In September, Chris Smith's girlfriend died, leaving him a single father. On Tuesday, Cleveland cut him.

Shalise Manza Young
Yahoo Sports Contributor
Yahoo SportsDec 3, 2019, 1:19 PM

On Sept. 12, Cleveland Browns rookie head coach Freddie Kitchens sat behind a microphone, and in a somber tone talked about balance, life and relationships.

He said things like, “A funny thing happens when you start playing this game of football; you think you’re just playing, you’re coaching, everything’s fine, until life hits. And then when life hits, it’s kind of a reality check.”

And things like, “If you want to get the most out of your team, you have start at some point caring about each other. And when you do that, that builds relationships.”

Kitchens said these things after a heartbreaking tragedy struck one of Cleveland’s players: in the early hours of Sept. 11, veteran defensive lineman Chris Smith and his girlfriend, Petara Cordero, were on the side of Interstate 90 in the city waiting for help after one of the tires on Smith’s sports car blew out.

A 47-year-old woman struck Smith’s car and then Cordero, and Cordero was killed. She and Smith had gone out for a night together as new parents; their daughter, Haven Harris Smith, was just 4 weeks old at the time.

The driver was not charged.

Days earlier, Smith spoke with cleveland.com about how happy he was personally, blessed and grateful to have Cordero and baby Haven in his life.

Smith was in his second season in Cleveland. A fifth-round draft pick in 2014, Smith has never been a star; heck, he’s never been a consistent starter. But he’s the kind of player every team needs: he offers depth, and by all accounts is beloved in the locker room, a stand-up man.

“Chris is one of those guys — his smile is infectious, his personality’s infectious, he’s just overall well-liked,” Kitchens said that September day. “Everybody in that locker room is hurting for him.

“If nothing else, it puts things in perspective, ok? From the standpoint of, in this thing we call life, what’s important to you? Well, Chris is important to us. Chris is important to this locker room. And everything he’s going through we feel.”

Apparently Smith the person wasn’t that important, not to Kitchens and general manager John Dorsey.

On Tuesday, the Browns waived Smith. A league source said he did not ask for his release.

Eighty-three days after Smith watched his girlfriend die, 83 days after he was thrust into the role of single father, 83 days after his unimaginable heartbreak and 82 days after Kitchens saying Smith was family, he was cut.

How would you be functioning in that situation? How should we expect someone to focus and perform when something so tragic happens, especially when you were witness to it?

Smith was in uniform on Sept. 16 for a Monday night game against the New York Jets, just days after Cordero died. He said at the time she would have wanted him to play. He played in the games that followed as well, until he was a healthy scratch for the Browns’ most recent game, the rematch against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Because Smith is a veteran, he can collect termination pay and receive his full 2019 salary. Small consolation in a time like this.

We’re not ignorant to the reality of NFL rosters but other teams have had similar situations and have taken care of the player, showing that the “football is family” commercials shown repeatedly during NFL games isn’t just a shallow idea.

When Devon Still found out his young daughter, Leah, was battling cancer and he needed to step away from football to help care for her, the Cincinnati Bengals kept Still on their practice squad, giving Still some income and more important making sure Leah had health insurance.

When Ryan Shazier suffered a life-altering spinal injury in 2017, the Pittsburgh Steelers did, and continue to do, what they can to support Shazier financially and emotionally.

He's a marginal NFL talent and ST only player. His salary is fully guaranteed. If he can play, someone else will pick him up.

This article is doing a lot of phishing to make something out of nothing.

The Browns are terrible people because they can't accept the consequences to their actions and blame others. That and their locker room is completely lost with that coaching staff.

I feel sorry for the guy and condolences out to him, truly.

I'm no BROWNS supporter but he is getting full pay for the season. Time to get on with his life's work.

Shazier's time is coming as there is a chance he could play and the STEELERS are investing in that chance + showing support just as they did for Rocky Blier.

As for the bungles,........ I don't care for them either but hats off in support of their player.

Salute the nation

I cringe when I see cars/people on the side of the road. I call that the "matter of time lane".

Shazier's time is coming as there is a chance he could play and the STEELERS are investing in that chance + showing support just as they did for Rocky Blier.

I do not want to be holding my breath everytime Shazier goes to make a tackle. Move on Ryan...

Shazier will never play again. And if he does, i hope he realizes he's not even a shell of his former self and stops before he gets injured again. He'd make a good LB coach or even some sort of assistant, IMO.

I do not want to be holding my breath everytime Shazier goes to make a tackle. Move on Ryan...

Shazier will never play again. And if he does, i hope he realizes he's not even a shell of his former self and stops before he gets injured again. He'd make a good LB coach or even some sort of assistant, IMO.

I guess I should explain that "his time is coming" is meant as to weather the STEELERS keep him or not. His current contract runs out after this season and they would have to renew it to keep him active so as to use the facility for all his rehab and stuff. If there is a chance of him playing that the STEELERS agree with, then he gets resigned if NOT, then he gets cut. He can't be therte unless under contract due to the current CBA if I remember correctly.

EDIT: I think he on some kind of IR but not roster counting or something backdoor-ish

Salute the nation

I'd say if they cannot keep them on their **** roster, and he is eligible for PS they should at least keep him there. I mean **** if nothing else to just give the guy some stability and support with counselling and what have you. I mean their season is shot, no matter what kinda bull crap anyone is peddling. They are down to 9 wins max which I doubt would make it. They play Baltiwhore who will for sure be playing for a seed. I highly doubt this guy is going to hurt their grand plan to make the playoffs. Bring him back to camp and if he doesn't make it cut him then.

I’m sorry if I am in the minority here, but this happens everyday to normal people, without the huge paychecks. It does suck that this happened to his family, but his employer is not obligated to keep him around for life, if his job changes.

I’m sorry if I am in the minority here, but this happens everyday to normal people, without the huge paychecks. It does suck that this happened to his family, but his employer is not obligated to keep him around for life, if his job changes.

While very true, most normal people don't work at a place of employment that can make this happen either. What is the requirement for pension in the NFL? 3 seasons?

If you are a business owner and you allow yourself to run your business off of emotions you will not be in business for long. You have to make decisions that are in the best interest of the company. It sucks that he lost his wife, but if he was not up to the line as a player you have to move on. You cannot hold a valuable roster spot or practice squad spot for a player that you do not feel is capable of helping your team win.

If you are a business owner and you allow yourself to run your business off of emotions you will not be in business for long. You have to make decisions that are in the best interest of the company. It sucks that he lost his wife, but if he was not up to the line as a player you have to move on. You cannot hold a valuable roster spot or practice squad spot for a player that you do not feel is capable of helping your team win.

I do not disagree with this, but this is the second year in a row the Steelers have kept Shazier on the PUP list, paying him and having that money count against the cap.

I do not disagree with this, but this is the second year in a row the Steelers have kept Shazier on the PUP list, paying him and having that money count against the cap.

I do not disagree with the Steelers doing this. He was a player who got injured and they have chosen to do for them what is the right thing.

Makes me proud to be a Steelers fan

I think there is a difference between an elite player who got injured on the field and someone who lost a family member.

maybe some team picks him up and puts him on their practice squad. He's still getting paid by the Browns for this season, so he has income, plus he can spend time with his child until a team comes calling. It all sounds heartless, but it may work out for him.

This story has bad optics. No matter what angle you look at it - someone is going to claim 'insensitivity'...

I think there is a difference between an elite player who got injured on the field and someone who lost a family member.

He's still counting against the cap, and can't play. I agree with The Steelers keeping him on though, although the smart business decision would've been to not do that and save the cap space. I'm just saying The Browns could probably do more, and maybe they did behind the scenes. I'm not bothered either way though, the Browns players was drafted in 2014, he should have plenty of money.

Are they doing this so he is eligible to receive retirement benefits from the NFLPA? He's getting a vet minimum salary. Maybe they are just trying to make sure the man has medical coverage for life.

Personally there's no reason to keep signing him in the way they have beyond that.

It is bad optics. It is insensitive. If they were a legit contender and they needed an upgrade sure ok it is what it is. There are about 25 bigger reasons why the Browns suck balls that have nothing to do with this guy. Why does Beckham keep his job. Has he performed?? Mayfield? The coach?

Nfl team or joe employer. There are better ones than others that go above and beyond what they “need to or are required to do” because they look at their employee as more than just that.

I’m glad the Steelers and bungals did what they did. Did they have too, nope. Just good employers. Are the browns in right with their choice, yup. But just makes them a less preferred employer

Since when did we need more proof the clowns, the mistake by the lake, the factory of sadness, the uniforms that mirror a **** stain are pieces of ****. It is a known known.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

First time flying into PITTSBURGH I was out a little ways yet and I smelled a stench like no other. My eyes / nose and even mouth burned with rot and stench. I walked to front of plane to aske flight attendants about it and they were in gas masks and said it would only be a few minutes. I knocked on the pilot cabin door and the actual Pilot opened. I quizzed him of the foul odor and he said "you must not be from around these parts" . I replied no but was headed to PITTSBURGH. He smiled and said good job and that place has no stench and is just a championship town. I said what's up with the stench and he replied " Oh yea, we're fly over Cleveland right now"

**** those AZzhats and they can't even start a brawl properly, again ****-E'm

Salute the nation