• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Myles Jack and Devin Bush: The Steelers Perfect Pairing at Inside Linebacker?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This free agency process for the Pittsburgh Steelers has been something that all of SteelerNation has not been used to seeing. The Steelers organization decided it was best to address the holes on their roster through the free agency process, rather than solely focusing on addressing particular needs through the NFL Draft, in order to save money. That being said, the Steelers addressed needs on both the offensive and defensive sides of the football and have found success in doing so, so far.

One particular move that I feel will be the most beneficial is signing middle linebacker Myles Jack to a two-year deal.

Steelers Myles Jack has the pedigree​

The sheer thought of what Jack himself and the Steelers first round selection in 2019 Devin Bush could potentially be when on the field together is salivating. I know many of you are discouraged by Bush’s play last season, especially with the numbers he put up in his rookie season in the black and gold. In 2019, he started in all 16 games, and was an absolute ballhawk during that period. He was credited with 109 total tackles, four fumble recoveries, one forced fumble, and two interceptions with four pass defended. It was safe to say that the future of the middle linebacker position was going to be in good hands for years to come.

Steelers LB Devin Bush

Steelers linebacker Devin Bush takes the field against the Cincinnati Bengals in 2021 at Heinz Field. | Twitter: @JSKO_PHOTO

That being said, in what was going to be his second season in the NFL, Bush (in just the fifth game of the season) tore his ACL which sidelined him for what he and the organization hoped had been an even better sophomore season. Bush came back fully recovered from his injury this past season playing in 14 total games, only recording 70 total tackles. A complete drop off from what his rookie campaign had been. Although much is to be expected from Bush, most of us seem to forget that last year was the first full year Bush was on the field after suffering that season ending injury, and he did so with an immense amount of pressure on not only himself, but the middle linebacker position as a whole.

That last statement is exactly why I am so excited to see what Jack and Bush could potentially do in the same uniform on Sundays. Both linebackers play the position similarly, both are able to cover either the tight end position or the running back position without losing a step, and both have shown the ability to come downhill for the tackle, filling the rushing lanes when needed. Since 2018, Jack has been credited with over 100 combined tackles in three out of his four seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars (2018, 2020, 2021) — meaning the Steelers now have two highly talented middle linebackers that have both posted 100 tackles in a season in the NFL, not something a lot of NFL teams can say.

Although it may be far-fetched, the Steelers have had a great tradition of success at the middle linebacker position dating back to the 1970’s era and these two young talents could be the next in line. Bush’s athletic ability is the reason why he was drafted so high back in 2019 and continues to be the reason the Steelers have so much faith in the young linebacker. He has the speed to keep up with any running back and has the coverage skills to be used in not only opponents rushing situations, but also be just as useful in passing situations. Jack shares a similar play style, and comes to the Steelers with five years of experience under his belt. In my opinion, having a defense with two of the more athletic linebackers in the league is something that is highly touted. We can only hope that both players will be able to counter each other’s play in a way that can elevate both young players’ consistency on the field.

Do you think the pairing of Myles Jack and Devin Bush will translate well on the field in 2022? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Your dreaming… unless they have fixed the stinking 2 man line bs jack lambert couldn’t help this team stop the run. Jack is hardly a big step up from Schobert no inside linebacker can can stop the run if offensive linemen are picking them off and jack does cover worth a ****. He did well behind the one of the best defensive lines in football didn’t do well when it fell apart… so unless they fix the decline in our own d-line and improve the schemes they use, jack is no hero that will turn the defense around. And then both will have to come off the field against the pass. i see the signing of jack as moving around the deck chairs of the titanic then saying you fixed the problem. Big solid line that knocks down the blockers allowing the linebackers free movement yo the ball carrier is what we need! Bring back Aaron smith!!

Fix the DL ,then everyone looks better, though Bush needs to play like it means something. Which if he doesn't take his game up to a starting NFL LB level in camp, I'd cut him.

Fix the DL ,then everyone looks better, though Bush needs to play like it means something. Which if he doesn't take his game up to a starting NFL LB level in camp, I'd cut him.

Cut or trade because even a 5th / 6th / 7th next year adds to draft capital for a QB.

Salute the nation

One guy runs to contact, one guy runs from contact…yup perfect pairing. Opposing offenses will never know what hit em.

Seriously, Bush needs to get the shaft and be shown the door if he doesn’t start showing some sort of want to smash anything and everything that comes knocking. I know he was coming off injury, but last year looked like he was avoiding any pounding..:not a desirable trait from Bush.

Agreed on Davis. But he should be long gone at 20. Maybe his teammate Wyatt.
I HOPE Bush bounces back this year. Can't really get worse

One guy runs to contact, one guy runs from contact…yup perfect pairing. Opposing offenses will never know what hit em.

Seriously, Bush needs to get the shaft and be shown the door if he doesn’t start showing some sort of want to smash anything and everything that comes knocking. I know he was coming off injury, but last year looked like he was avoiding any pounding..:not a desirable trait from Bush.

I want a BUSH that not only can take a pounding but give one as well !!!

Salute the nation