• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Najee states it again: team needs more discipline

Let me preface this with, I didn’t love the pick and don’t think he is a superstar RB, but, he has generally performed well when there is a semblance of OL push and a semblance of a passing game that has to be respected by the D, as evidenced by back to back 100+ yrd games when those things occurred.

The vast majority of his career has been with poor OL play and very underwhelming pass attack, allowing opposing D’s to cheat on run defense.

How’s he supposed to rack up yards when he’s consistently getting met in the backfield, practically instantaneously after taking handoff.
He should ask Warren he's 5.1 ypc for his career

I'll throw in my 2 cents on a discipline suggestion ......

Shut off the damn music during practices !!

I've been to training camp and seen practices during the season on TV -- not to mention a practice just before the Bills game and they are always piping in some obnoxious rap music. Seriously shut the damn music off and concentrate on what you are doing !

A lot of Warrens runs were 3rd down situations where the box wasn't stacked and Bills were looking pass. Otherwise you are correct.🙄
They definitely did Najee no favors with the predictability of his runs

Guess they figured nobody would be dumb enough to keep trying the same thing over and over so we were gonna trick em eventually by repeatedly getting to 3rd and 7 after 2 crap Najee plays

Was hard to watch

They definitely did Najee no favors with the predictability of his runs

Guess they figured nobody would be dumb enough to keep trying the same thing over and over so we were gonna trick em eventually by repeatedly getting to 3rd and 7 after 2 crap Najee plays

Was hard to watch
Yep. Bills kept dropping 8 plus into the box and Tomlin simply said......run it anyway. While the players win and lose the game by their play on the field.....it is the HC and assistance coaches job to put the players in the best position for them to succeed. That just happens to be one of Tomlin's greatest weaknesses.

Last edited:
I'll throw in my 2 cents on a discipline suggestion ......

Shut off the damn music during practices !!

I've been to training camp and seen practices during the season on TV -- not to mention a practice just before the Bills game and they are always piping in some obnoxious rap music. Seriously shut the damn music off and concentrate on what you are doing !
And get off my lawn!

lol

Najee has gained over a 1000 yards each of his three season here.

Salute the nation
He surely has...

Franco didnt even do that...albeit more games are played in the season now...

But impressive none the less , and once again a tribute to Najee being able to stay on the field.

You don’t honestly believe that Nacua would have produced the way he did in this offense, do you? Averaging 130 ypg (or whatever ridiculously ******* laughable amount it was) leaves him with no room to produce. Hell, that’s also assuming this staff would’ve allowed him to play more than special teams prior to week 10 like they do with most other rookies……you see why this is a stupid argument, right?
Obviously not with kenny. You are high if you don't think we'd be better off with Nacua or Williams? We could have gotten washingtons production for vet minimum and saved a 3rd rd pick.

He should ask Warren he's 5.1 ypc for his career
He’s been primarily a change of pace back, mostly coming when game situation makes play call less predictable and is the greater pass catching threat, causing run D to loosen up a bit, so when he takes a draw, he has more open field.

I’d make a wager that if he was the primary back, with opponent having full knowledge of that and he’s in on predictable run plays, which it’s been discussed how predictable the Steeler’s offense is, his ypr would drop and probably significantly.

He is no doubt an incredible undrafted free agent pickup, but he benefits from game situation, more often than not.

He’s been primarily a change of pace back, mostly coming when game situation makes play call less predictable and is the greater pass catching threat, causing run D to loosen up a bit, so when he takes a draw, he has more open field.

I’d make a wager that if he was the primary back, with opponent having full knowledge of that and he’s in on predictable run plays, which it’s been discussed how predictable the Steeler’s offense is, his ypr would drop and probably significantly.

He is no doubt an incredible undrafted free agent pickup, but he benefits from game situation, more often than not.
Same old tired argument from last year. Different year, double the carries, double the production and still the same old 1.2 ypc better than Harris
The facts say his efficiency went up, not down. In fact Warren was the #2 most efficient RB in the league to Mcaffrey out of all RB with minimum 6 carries per game.
Najee was #23

2022 77 carries 4.9 YPC
2023 149 carries 5.3 ypc

Same old tired argument from last year. Different year, double the carries, double the production and still the same old 1.2 ypc better than Harris
The facts say his efficiency went up, not down. In fact Warren was the #2 most efficient RB in the league to Mcaffrey out of all RB with minimum 6 carries per game.
Najee was #23

2022 77 carries 4.9 YPC
2023 149 carries 5.3 ypc
How many carries Mcaffrey have? Harris have? When you’re the lead back, D’s will treat you accordingly! And I love Warren! But until he’s a lead back, and has 300+ carries, it’s not the same. Ball control is also more of an apparent issue!

How many carries Mcaffrey have? Harris have? When you’re the lead back, D’s will treat you accordingly! And I love Warren! But until he’s a lead back, and has 300+ carries, it’s not the same. Ball control is also more of an apparent issue!
No RB in the league has 300 Carries.
Warren can only make the most of his carries, which for his career has only increased in efficiency with added work, you say the opposite will happen with more carries, what facts do you base that opinion on?
Harris turned the ball over 1 less time than Warren on the season, I can see you're point there, ball security is Harris best attribute. Warren did have the weather in that game as well.
I'm glad you are Happy with the Lead back gaining under 50yds in 8 games this year , and gaining less than 3.5 ypc 7 games.
That just doesn't cut it for any starting RB in my opinion

Plenty of blame to go around. but 37 yards is 37 yards, and that is never gonna be good enough to win.
Gotta love a #1 pick from Alabama averaging 3.9 for his career, calling other people out like he hasn't been part of the problem, minutes after putting up 37 yards and 3.1 ypc in the biggest game of his life. Keep pointing the finger Najee
Bettis averaged 3.9 ypc for his career and it was below that for nine of his thirteen seasons.

Obviously not with kenny. You are high if you don't think we'd be better off with Nacua or Williams? We could have gotten washingtons production for vet minimum and saved a 3rd rd pick.
I am not dismissing his ability/talent/etc, but you’re ******* crazy if you think that THIS staff would have done anything with him.

I am not dismissing his ability/talent/etc, but you’re ******* crazy if you think that THIS staff would have done anything with him.
I can't see why Pickens/ Johnson wouldn't be his floor here? The guy made Kupp an afterthought in that offense. def not Darnell Washington #'s

I think that is pretty impressive with the OL he has been running behind. With the offense that he is in. Since he has come into the league only 3 players have rushed for more yards than Harris. Considering the horrible offensive scheme we employed that is pretty remarkable. We all get you don't like Harris....but the guy plays hurt and rarely misses a game if ever. Doesn't fumble. Blocks well. Catches decent. What would you be happy with for a yards per carry? Would 4 ypc make you happy? Or would have to be higher such as 4.5? Or 5?

Bettis averaged 3.9 ypc for his career and it was below that for nine of his thirteen seasons.

2nd and goal at the 4 vs Bills Tomlin would have faith in the Bus to convert 100% of the time. Najee obviously not the case
Bettis ran with power everytime he touched the ball, always got the tough yards. Harris needs a full head of steam before he has any power, definitely not in the same league of power back like the bus.
He also didn't need to face a bottom of the barrel run defense in order to look the part or put up respectable numbers like Harris.
Harris averages 2 100yd rushing performances per season. it would take him 30 years to get to the 61 mark like the bus.
You cannot legitimately compare Najee Harris game to Jerome Bettis.

I think that is pretty impressive with the OL he has been running behind. With the offense that he is in. Since he has come into the league only 3 players have rushed for more yards than Harris. Considering the horrible offensive scheme we employed that is pretty remarkable. We all get you don't like Harris....but the guy plays hurt and rarely misses a game if ever. Doesn't fumble. Blocks well. Catches decent. What would you be happy with for a yards per carry? Would 4 ypc make you happy? Or would have to be higher such as 4.5? Or 5?
I would be happy if his numbers were better than the guy he was drafted to replace.