• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Najee states it again: team needs more discipline

OK, I don't know how the topic got twisted into NH's APC, but that wasn't my intent. The point is that Najee has brought up the subject of "team discipline" a few times (as well has Kenny) and you would think that it makes a strong point that there is a real, "pressing need" problem in the area or why does he keep bringing it up? And if a "team discipline" problem isn't the fault of the head coach, then it would be a 1st. Face it: Shades runs a loose ship; it's been brought up before and the team screams of it. Shades is a sloppy head coach and that does NOT cut it at this level, or ANY level quite honestly.
If you are on this board long enough you will find that any thread, reverts back to Tomlin sucks, Najee Sucks(3.9) ETC. you could start a thread about the 1974 Draft class, and I would bet by post 6 someone mentions how Tomlin would ruin those Hall of Famers.

You are right coach
I'm not insulted in the least bit referring to me as Coach. Anyway, since you seem like you want to ignore the NGS data, I posted it below for you. Huge difference in performance between Harris' first two seasons and this past year.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-intro-to-expected-rushing-yards#:~:text=Rushing Yards Over Expected (RYOE,rushing yards per rush attempt.
  • Rushing Yards Over Expected (RYOE): The difference between actual rushing yards and expected rushing yards on an individual play or series of plays.
  • Rushing Yards Over Expected per Attempt (RYOE/Att): The difference between actual rushing yards and expected rushing yards per rush attempt.
  • Rush Pct Over Expected (ROE): The percentage of runs where a ball-carrier gained more yards than expected.
Among 52 qualifying RBs in 2021:
*46th in RYOE with -81
*35th in RYOE/Att with -0.27
*41st in ROE% at 33.6%

Among 48 qualifying RBs in 2022:
*47th in RYOE with -116
*45th in RYOE/Att with -0.43
*27th in ROE% at 38%

Among 49 qualifying RBs in 2023:
*12th in RYOE with 87
*14th in RYOE/Att with 0.35
*9th in ROE% at 42.2%

Warren had 8 carries for more yards
Sure...4 more carries one more yard , splitting hairs. Warren benefits from down and distance when he is given the ball a lot of the times. Not saying he is bad...just saying.

I'm not insulted in the least bit referring to me as Coach. Anyway, since you seem like you want to ignore the NGS data, I posted it below for you. Huge difference in performance between Harris' first two seasons and this past year.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-intro-to-expected-rushing-yards#:~:text=Rushing Yards Over Expected (RYOE,rushing yards per rush attempt.
  • Rushing Yards Over Expected (RYOE): The difference between actual rushing yards and expected rushing yards on an individual play or series of plays.
  • Rushing Yards Over Expected per Attempt (RYOE/Att): The difference between actual rushing yards and expected rushing yards per rush attempt.
  • Rush Pct Over Expected (ROE): The percentage of runs where a ball-carrier gained more yards than expected.
*46th in RYOE with -81
*41st in ROE% at 33.6%

*47th in RYOE with -116
*27th in ROE% at 38%

*12th in RYOE with 87
*9th in ROE% at 42.2%
Yeah the offense line got better in 2023. still sucked, but better.

Yeah the offense line got better in 2023. still sucked, but better.
Let me try one more time to explain this one more time, the expected rushing yards stat takes into account both the offensive line (or any other blockers) and the location of the defense as well as their speed. If the OL isn't expected to create room, the expected rushing yards is low. Harris was performing below what statistically was expected and he was among the lowest using this metric compared to his peers. The OL performance didn't matter in the context of this stat. Obviously this year he was significantly better and that isn't surprising given he ranked 4th in carries of 20+ yards.

I think it's a good thing he improved as a player and am not quite sure why you have issues with that.

Let me try one more time to explain this one more time, the expected rushing yards stat takes into account both the offensive line (or any other blockers) and the location of the defense as well as their speed. If the OL isn't expected to create room, the expected rushing yards is low. Harris was performing below what statistically was expected and he was among the lowest using this metric compared to his peers. The OL performance didn't matter in the context of this stat. Obviously this year he was significantly better and that isn't surprising given he ranked 4th in carries of 20+ yards.

I think it's a good thing he improved as a player and am not quite sure why you have issues with that.
I think he was a good player his 1st two years a well. I think he was significantly better this year which coincides with having a better line. you do not need stats/metrics/physics to prove this. just watch the games.

I think he was a good player his 1st two years a well. I think he was significantly better this year which coincides with having a better line. you do not need stats/metrics/physics to prove this. just watch the games.
I saw him from the opposite viewpoint, not bad, just not living up to his draft status. I thought his first couple of years he left a lot of yards on the table and there were articles and videos questioning his vision. I basically expected more from a first-round back. Sort of like with Pickett, when you draft a player high, you expect them to create on their own a little bit more and not need the perfect surroundings to succeed. If that's the case, get someone later and build the rest of the talent up.

Harris showed up this year and I believe for the first time was the key reason the Steelers won more than one game this year. For reference, I only felt that way about the Baltimore game the previous year. He was key in easily 4-6 of the games and without him, they would've lost. I can't say that about his first couple of seasons.

I also think he was better this year beyond the line play. He got skinny, making his way through some small holes. He ran physical and made sure a defender wasn't going to tackle him. Without looking it up, it felt like he had more long runs than he has had in a season. He stepped up his game along with the offensive line coming together late. There are a lot of yards left as well not of any fault of his own, but instead the Steelers don't use him as a receiver. He's not Le'Veon Bell, but Harris could be a much bigger contributor in the passing attack.

I saw him from the opposite viewpoint, not bad, just not living up to his draft status. I thought his first couple of years he left a lot of yards on the table and there were articles and videos questioning his vision. I basically expected more from a first-round back. Sort of like with Pickett, when you draft a player high, you expect them to create on their own a little bit more and not need the perfect surroundings to succeed. If that's the case, get someone later and build the rest of the talent up.

Harris showed up this year and I believe for the first time was the key reason the Steelers won more than one game this year. For reference, I only felt that way about the Baltimore game the previous year. He was key in easily 4-6 of the games and without him, they would've lost. I can't say that about his first couple of seasons.

I also think he was better this year beyond the line play. He got skinny, making his way through some small holes. He ran physical and made sure a defender wasn't going to tackle him. Without looking it up, it felt like he had more long runs than he has had in a season. He stepped up his game along with the offensive line coming together late. There are a lot of yards left as well not of any fault of his own, but instead the Steelers don't use him as a receiver. He's not Le'Veon Bell, but Harris could be a much bigger contributor in the passing attack.
We are not that far off in what we think. I just think his rookie year, they had the worst offense line I have seen in my life. Green at center? Moore at left tackle as a rookie? Najee could have been a combo of Bettis and sanders and it would not have mattered

Just curious, who or what is determining what is "expected" from the blockers or the opposing defense? Wouldn't that be subjective?

Najee had 2 of his best games of his career this season, Some of the best runs he's ever put on tape. He improved his efficiency by the exact same amount warren improved vs last year. He also didn't show up 50% of the time, and when he did it was against some very bad defenses. He is the Jekyll and Hyde RB, capable but only every once in a while. Overall very inconsistent and frustrating. Any RB in the league with 250+ carries is gonna luck into a few 100 yard games a season? He averages 2 a season for his career and would not have broken the 1000 yd mark had it not been for a 17 game season

Last edited:
Najee had 2 of his best games of his career this season, Some of the best runs he's ever put on tape. He improved his efficiency by the exact same amount warren improved vs last year. He also didn't show up 50% of the time, and when he did it was against some very bad defenses. He is the Jekyll and Hyde RB, capable but only every once in a while. Overall very inconsistent and frustrating. Any RB in the league with 250+ carries is gonna luck into a few 100 yard games a season? He averages 2 a season for his career and would not have broken the 1000 yd mark had it not been for a 17 game season
a 2 headed RB approach do not equate to very many 100 yard games. It is not a coincidence. that he got better the year the offensive line got better. His 1st 2 years, he was getting hit in the backfield, before he could make a move at an alarming rate.

*46th in RYOE with -81
*41st in ROE% at 33.6%

*47th in RYOE with -116
*27th in ROE% at 38%

*12th in RYOE with 87
*9th in ROE% at 42.2%

VERY good post, than k you 448. !!! Appreciate the research and all the great post(s) along the way.

We just need a little more OL player help and Hopefully the new OC brings in a OL coach as well.

We already saw what a little bit of Najee & Jalen can do to a defense, imagine with a legitimate OC and scheme would do….

Salute the nation

a 2 headed RB approach do not equate to very many 100 yard games. It is not a coincidence. that he got better the year the offensive line got better. His 1st 2 years, he was getting hit in the backfield, before he could make a move at an alarming rate.
He had 16 less carries than Mcaffrey. Like I said 250+ carries any RB in the league is getting 2 100 yd games. Warren did with 100 less carries

We are not that far off in what we think. I just think his rookie year, they had the worst offense line I have seen in my life. Green at center? Moore at left tackle as a rookie? Najee could have been a combo of Bettis and sanders and it would not have mattered
Boy are you right about that. I just want to know who was responsible for thinking that OL was decent enough to put on the field? Like who in the organization thought that Green @C and Moore @LT was a wise way to go? In the real world, you can't just "bluff" your way into making things they way you would LIKE them to be. But somehow, between GM Colbert and HC Shades, they thought they would just throw those two horrid players in the starting lineup and somehow tings would be OK. What a catastrophic mess that was, and yet, that was their plan. What a slap in the face to the rest of the team that was. What a disrespectful joke that was to the legit players trying to win games that was. Any members of the team who were responsible for those two players starting should be so embarrassed to show their faces in public that they should hide in shame. What arrogance and stupidity.

Boy are you right about that. I just want to know who was responsible for thinking that OL was decent enough to put on the field? Like who in the organization thought that Green @C and Moore @LT was a wise way to go? In the real world, you can't just "bluff" your way into making things they way you would LIKE them to be. But somehow, between GM Colbert and HC Shades, they thought they would just throw those two horrid players in the starting lineup and somehow tings would be OK. What a catastrophic mess that was, and yet, that was their plan. What a slap in the face to the rest of the team that was. What a disrespectful joke that was to the legit players trying to win games that was. Any members of the team who were responsible for those two players starting should be so embarrassed to show their faces in public that they should hide in shame. What arrogance and stupidity.
agreed.

He had 16 less carries than Mcaffrey. Like I said 250+ carries any RB in the league is getting 2 100 yd games. Warren did with 100 less carries
Mcaffrey also had Trent Williams pro bowl LT, a competent center and OC. Harris has proven extremely durable, very very seldom fumbles. He has proven he can take over games even with a ****** line and ****** game plan

We’re not really comparing Christian to Najee?!?
Are we?
OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF SEASONNNNNNNNNN topics suck. Barry Sanders today. or game day Walter A?

Mcaffrey also had Trent Williams pro bowl LT, a competent center and OC. Harris has proven extremely durable, very very seldom fumbles. He has proven he can take over games even with a ****** line and ****** game plan
Imagine Warrens stats if he was a 49er :LOL:

Can someone be racist against their own heritage?

Then again it is 2024! ;)
Answer is definitely yes and has been that way for a long time

Way back in my hospitality days most of my servers from the culture would always complain about waiting on members of the culture, sometimes flat out refusing to wait on the (insert of of many derogatory names they used for them here)

Sure...4 more carries one more yard , splitting hairs. Warren benefits from down and distance when he is given the ball a lot of the times. Not saying he is bad...just saying.
He also benefits from better field vision, better fit for blocking scheme, better burst and better utilization of his strengths

Najee goes horizontal way too often for his skill set, and the results when he goes horizontal are pretty bad…newsflash Naj-ya ain’t out running anyone

He also benefits from better field vision, better fit for blocking scheme, better burst and better utilization of his strengths

Najee goes horizontal way too often for his skill set, and the results when he goes horizontal are pretty bad…newsflash Naj-ya ain’t out running anyone
The only thing here I would kind of disagree with you on is that when there isn't much there Najee can get 4 or 5 where Warren is going down, most times quick.

The only thing here I would kind of disagree with you on is that when there isn't much there Najee can get 4 or 5 where Warren is going down, most times quick.
Yeah, sometimes Naj will give ya that when he comes in with that chip on his shoulder, doesn’t always seem to have that edge tho

I’d say when there isn’t much there Najee is getting met in the backfield by 1-3 defenders generally running right through a gigantic hole where a decent C would be blocking someone, anyone

Problem is Cole is hot garbage and Naj needs to hit it up the middle quickly, an awful pairing of an incompetent C and a back that needs to be moving N-S not E-W

We’ll likely never know what Warren can bring as a full time starter here tho as Naj is Shades dude and Warren will be gone soon

Yeah, sometimes Naj will give ya that when he comes in with that chip on his shoulder, doesn’t always seem to have that edge tho
Agreed! That's his M.O.

Sometimes he looks like the 2nd coming of Marshawn Lynch and some games more like Greg Hawthorne...

He certainly didnt have it in the Buffalo game...I kept waiting for the pile to move forward, or him to stiff arm his way out of a tackle like the Seattle game...never happened.