• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Negative comments about Mason Rudolph

I got a feeling my "RED HOT" pokers best be left at home if I was to visit his house after everyone has eaten JMM's chilli............

Salute the nation

Perhaps. All I am saying is if there is a correlation between him making chili and Steeler wins and that correlation is that the chili is made prior to the game, then I want to know why he doesn't make chili every week before the game. Seems to me that should ensure victories each week.

I'm afraid Bubby might be his ceiling.

Hard

to hard to tell how high that ceiling is.

Like a Halloween mixed bag of candy right now.

His play is either a trick or a treat.

So last week Rudolph wouldn't throw to his check down receiver at all. This week he locked into the check down receiver and forgot to throw downfield. There were many plays where a receiver was open and he didn't find him. I guess this is just a work in progress as he learns how to find guys.

I see a few problems. His arm is erratic at times. Balls behind the WRs, some too high. His deep balls look like wounded ducks. It's hard to see the WRs some times but even Fouts commented that he missed a wide open WR in the endzone. I don't know if he isn't processing the info fast enough or doesn't trust his arm. I have no idea. But there is no reason to change it up right now. Teams aren't taking away the short passes so why stop throwing them?

I see the same thing, he doesn't have a strong arm, so he can't drive a ball very well at all. So alot of intermediate throws are late, like the one handed grab by Washington, he just doesn't have the arm to get it there on time, he'd have to make that read sooner and throw the ball sooner, hard to do if that's a 2nd or 3rd read. The INT, I 100% agree, JuJu has to catch that ball, but if you watch the replay, JuJu turns around in that zone and sits expecting the ball right near his body instead, it was high and left, JuJu had to lunge for the ball, yes he should've gotten it, I totally agree, but that's another ball that needs thrown on a rope into the WR's body. His deep balls flutter and die anytime he has to try to lead a WR, like the long pass down the sideline. He throws a nice ball when the WR has a ton of space.

If teams are going to give us the RB out of the backfield, just keep taking it until they try to stop it if that's what it takes to win.

Not so sure his issue is arm strength. Accuracy seems to be more of a issue IMO something he can work on improving. His defensive reads seem slow as well. Probably common issues for green QBs.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

I haven't made up my mind about Rudolph yet. I think he's done pretty well but hasn't blown anyone away with his talent or accomplishments. Its a tough job and I'm willing to give him some more time to figure it out. He's obviously not a prodigy like Wilson, Mahomes or maybe even Jackson. He's more a guy that has a great college resume and studies pretty hard but he is obviously a work in progress. I'm honestly not even sure he's the best backup QB on the roster. He has the pedigree and measurable but Duck has that intangible "IT" factor that can translate to NFL success sometimes when given the chance. Both need more work. I do know that I feel better about our QB situation now than I have in many years. No more journeymen castoffs or obvious underachievers like Landry Jones or Dobbs.

I think arm strength was iffy on alot of his draft scouting reports.

This is from Walterfootball:

Weaknesses:
Struggles to throw into tight windows
Anticipation
Average arm strength
Shaky accuracy
Inconsistent field vision
Lacks escapability for the NFL
Lacks mobility for the NFL
Will need to learn working under center
Will need to learn calling plays in the huddle
Has to transition to an NFL offense
Played against a lot of weak defenses
Needs to speed up the process

I think arm strength was iffy on alot of his draft scouting reports.

This is from Walterfootball:

Weaknesses:
Struggles to throw into tight windows
Anticipation
Average arm strength
Shaky accuracy
Inconsistent field vision
Lacks escapability for the NFL
Lacks mobility for the NFL
Will need to learn working under center
Will need to learn calling plays in the huddle
Has to transition to an NFL offense
Played against a lot of weak defenses
Needs to speed up the process

That’s actually pretty spot on. The most unathletic QBs have better escapability than he does. He just refuses to move out of the pocket. His accuracy shows to be pretty poor so far, can’t throw in the tight windows consistently obviously.

Once the play breaks down, it’s over. He can’t extend plays like you need to in today’s NFL, you won’t last long if you don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand 'slow' footwork. Is he messing up his 3 step, 5 step or 7 step? Is he crossing incorrectly? Is he taking incorrect steps? Tripping himself or others?

I've seen him not step into passing, but that is more decision making than footwork. He can't step up if the pocket collapses.

I also don't see an average arm, from a guy, when drafted, was the #1 deep ball QB in the NATION.

I personally don't mind the holding on to ball thing. Great QBs do this to let plays develop and make plays. I see Watson do it weekly. Same with Rogers, Newton, now Jackson. All the greats want to make plays, and you have to take the good and the bad with it when it happens. Today we gave up a safety from one.

I'll tell you what I see. A young QB who is on his 5th NFL start and recently recovered from a concussion. If anything, I'm seeing processing issues, not footwork problems.

Cope, this is just my opinion but the reason MR isn't stepping into some of his throws is due to footwork. As a QB in the NFL you have to be able to slide right or left, step up in the pocket and not run into sacks, to me that's all footwork and correctable over time. I see a lot of that with Mason, the pressure will begin to collapse the pocket either from the right or left and rater than slide a step one way or the other he attempts to throw with bodies directly in front of him causing passes with little velocity. His arm is plenty good for the NFL but not when he can't properly stride into the throw. There have been a few times, where he escapes the pocket before its necessary and runs into pressure, the tackle may pushing his guy wide and MR runs into the sack. These are footwork corrections that need to be made.

I have no idea how good he'll be, but we're going to find out this year.

Papillon

Hard

to hard to tell how high that ceiling is.

Like a Halloween mixed bag of candy right now.

His play is either a trick or a treat.

Just as long as there are no popcorn balls. I hate popcorn balls.

Bradshaw would never make it in today's NFL because it took him quite a few seasons to develop.

I watched the all 22 coach's film from the Colts game and Rudolph had a better game than i thought. The reason he threw short so often was that nobody was open downfield on most plays.

The colts put a bunch of guys in the box and a lot of times it was man coverage, either straight man or cover 3 which essentially becomes man when that CB carries the outside WR deep. Bottom line is the Steeler WRs just weren't winning and getting open.

That throw to Washington where he made a great 1 handed catch on a throw behind him was actually a good play by Rudolph. He had to throw it behind because if he led him it would have been knocked down or an INT. He put it where it was a catch or nothing.

On the very next play, Rudolph missed a deep shot. It was either Johnson or Holton, can't see the #, but he beat the attempt at a press at the line and got on the other CB fast and caugth him flat footed. He was even and about to be leaving and threw up his hand. There was no safety in position. But there was some pressure which MR evaded and he took the check down. AFter he evaded, he did actually have enough time then to make the deep shot but he didn't see it and got about a 10 yard gain to the RB.

If you watch the coach film, what you will see over and over is the steelers sending 3 guys on deep verticals, 2 outside and 1 near the middle, then a RB or other WR in the flat or on a short angle route to the middle. The deep guys are covered like blankets and the checkdowns are open.

Was that the gameplan, to basically run off DBs to set up easy move the chains completions underneath? Or did they think their WRs could win a create big plays against the mostly man coverage downfield?

I think they need to come up with something else. These WRs are NOT winning on these verticals. I saw barely any slants, Ins or Outs. Not even many post or corner routes. Tons of straight verticals with some curls mixed in.

Seems they are trying to keep it simple for MR. Does not look like they want him throwing over the middle because aside from the vertical down the middle, there are very few routes in this area.

Fichtner was quoted saying opposing positions on what MR needs to do. How the hell is he supposed to be coached up when his coach is schizophrenic? He forced the interception (it was great throw) but he needs to be more aggressive. Wtf?

Our entire coaching staff is below the line globally speaking, starting with the mental midget with the bug eyes.

It sounded completely nonsensical. Im not saying he's the second coming by any means but I hope they dont ruin him. Idiots.

That’s actually pretty spot on. The most unathletic QBs have better escapability than he does. He just refuses to move out of the pocket. His accuracy shows to be pretty poor so far, can’t throw in the tight windows consistently obviously.

Once the play breaks down, it’s over. He can’t extend plays like you need to in today’s NFL, you won’t last long if you don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... he has the second best sack rate in football ... so i mean there is that... he almost gets sacked less than mahomes.. so i guess his pocket awareness is crap...

Some of the criticism i get, but stuff like this is nonsense... especially for a guy who has made plays out of the pocket in his handful of starts... the fumble criticism and the pocket criticism is confirmation bias at its worse... the first scouting report you open on google says this stuff, so people are looking for it, but the scouting reports were all over with him... its why he is so polarizing... you can watch him play and see ten things that are clearly building blocks for a successful qb and ten things that need work...

Which is why the consensus is let the kid go do what he can do and see what we can build on...

It sounded completely nonsensical. Im not saying he's the second coming by any means but I hope they dont ruin him. Idiots.

Again, if tomorrow you hired a relatively unknown head coach whose roots came from memphis and arkansas state, and he told you that he was going to name his buddies from arkansas state and Memphis oc and dc ... would you

A. Assume he was a clueless dipshit and force him to hire the best available people for those positions
Or
B.) assume that college powerhouses memphis and arkansas state happened to have three high level nfl talent coaches all coincidentally employed there at the same time and they really are the best options

Cause see i tend to believe its nepotism and fitchner is clearly in over his head... even butler, who was tutored by lebeau... i mean you shouldn’t need a dozen 1st and 2nd rounders to have aslightly above average defense... which ultimately is what they are right now...

Again, if tomorrow you hired a relatively unknown head coach whose roots came from memphis and arkansas state, and he told you that he was going to name his buddies from arkansas state and Memphis oc and dc ... would you

A. Assume he was a clueless dipshit and force him to hire the best available people for those positions
Or
B.) assume that college powerhouses memphis and arkansas state happened to have three high level nfl talent coaches all coincidentally employed there at the same time and they really are the best options

Cause see i tend to believe its nepotism and fitchner is clearly in over his head... even butler, who was tutored by lebeau... i mean you shouldn’t need a dozen 1st and 2nd rounders to have aslightly above average defense... which ultimately is what they are right now...

which always brings us back to who is calling the defense? Is it Butler?

I watched the all 22 coach's film from the Colts game and Rudolph had a better game than i thought. The reason he threw short so often was that nobody was open downfield on most plays.

The colts put a bunch of guys in the box and a lot of times it was man coverage, either straight man or cover 3 which essentially becomes man when that CB carries the outside WR deep. Bottom line is the Steeler WRs just weren't winning and getting open.

That throw to Washington where he made a great 1 handed catch on a throw behind him was actually a good play by Rudolph. He had to throw it behind because if he led him it would have been knocked down or an INT. He put it where it was a catch or nothing.

On the very next play, Rudolph missed a deep shot. It was either Johnson or Holton, can't see the #, but he beat the attempt at a press at the line and got on the other CB fast and caugth him flat footed. He was even and about to be leaving and threw up his hand. There was no safety in position. But there was some pressure which MR evaded and he took the check down. AFter he evaded, he did actually have enough time then to make the deep shot but he didn't see it and got about a 10 yard gain to the RB.

If you watch the coach film, what you will see over and over is the steelers sending 3 guys on deep verticals, 2 outside and 1 near the middle, then a RB or other WR in the flat or on a short angle route to the middle. The deep guys are covered like blankets and the checkdowns are open.

Was that the gameplan, to basically run off DBs to set up easy move the chains completions underneath? Or did they think their WRs could win a create big plays against the mostly man coverage downfield?

I think they need to come up with something else. These WRs are NOT winning on these verticals. I saw barely any slants, Ins or Outs. Not even many post or corner routes. Tons of straight verticals with some curls mixed in.

Seems they are trying to keep it simple for MR. Does not look like they want him throwing over the middle because aside from the vertical down the middle, there are very few routes in this area.

First, I agree that the Steelers WRs are not that good right. Juju is basically playing on one foot and Johnson, though showing a lot of ability and potential, is still adjusting to the NFL game.

With that being said, I do not feel like the coaches trust Rudolph to do much.

He actually reminds me a lot of Joe Flacco. He throws a good deep ball, but is inconsistent as hell when it comes to hitting the crossing and out routes 10-20 yards downfield.

Actually, the average scouting report on him coming out of college seems pretty legit.