• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Negative comments about Mason Rudolph

You can foresee his entire career reading the future of his footwork shortcomings? Wow. You must be psychic...or psycho.

Look. I see rookie quarterbacks and 2nd year quarterbacks impressing more.

Rudy has a good OL, WR and RB. Pro. Owl guys. But when 80 percent of you passes don’t go more than 5 yards down the field you incite the defense up to stop the run’ limit it plays snd just don’t score many offensive touchdowns.

The colts handed us that game. Rudy is a career back up or starter that needs to be replaced if Ben retires after this season.

I fail to see one part of Rudy’s game that you can build an offense around.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

It's a ******* team effort why Mason has been what he is.

1. Coaching staff needs to put in a playbool to capitalize on his strengths & mask his deficiencies (Bet Bill B would do exactly that)
2. O line needs to give him a little more breathing room
3. Receivers need to get some ******* separation
4. Mason needs to stop thinking so much, stop holding onto the ball & simply play pitch & catch

Our starting wide receivers had a grand total of 19 yards.

The defense and special teams scored 13 points the offense had little to do with. Or was it more than that?

MR should be looking for JUju first, then immediately going to Wash. **** didn’t they break records or something together at college? You figure they have some level of connection. Juju covered, not comfortable with that read, go to Wash,...THEN check down.

It's a ******* team effort why Mason has been what he is.

1. Coaching staff needs to put in a playbool to capitalize on his strengths & mask his deficiencies (Bet Bill B would do exactly that)
2. O line needs to give him a little more breathing room
3. Receivers need to get some ******* separation
4. Mason needs to stop thinking so much, stop holding onto the ball & simply play pitch & catch

I have to say, does it seem like MR sits like his feet are in stone after he drops back? (Obviously not when he rolls out). While I love his **** it attitude and takes the hit, but I feel if his footwork was more fluid it would help when the pocket collapsed around him? Donno. Not a football nerd with that stuff. He just seems set in stone.

What about his footwork specifically isn't good?

It’s slow. He isn’t good throwing on the run. And because he had to float the ball due to an average arm he needs his feet set. Other qb’s can get away with okay footwork because they have more talent. Are you buying or selling that?

He holds the ball way too long. I say because his accuracy to hit moving targets and velocity are weak points in his game.

Look. Indy was without their best corner. Didn’t seem to matter. I bet guys are getting open. He’s just not pulling the trigger for a reason. I saw high throws, low throws, under throws and throws behind his receiver on passes that went more than 5 yards.

Look. I see rookie quarterbacks and 2nd year quarterbacks impressing more.

Rudy has a good OL, WR and RB. Pro. Owl guys. But when 80 percent of you passes don’t go more than 5 yards down the field you incite the defense up to stop the run’ limit it plays snd just don’t score many offensive touchdowns.

The colts handed us that game. Rudy is a career back up or starter that needs to be replaced if Ben retires after this season.

I fail to see one part of Rudy’s game that you can build an offense around.

The OL hasn't played particularly well this year, they can't open consistent holes for the running game. They are not the same unit they were last year. The WR core is NOT this talented core you are making them out to be. You have ONE legit starter in Juju and a bunch of guys first and second year guys trying to make an impact. The RB you say, sat today. And Samuels is NOT a starting back in this league. He is a change of pace, pass catching RB, not a starter, and certainly not a pro bowler. This team doesn't have the talent around Mason you keep preaching they do. And the playcalling, especially down near the goal line is the worst play calling in the league. They are not putting Mason into situations to succeed. He has plenty of arm strength. It may not be Ben's arm, but it's pro level. You keep preaching that you see rookie and second year QB's playing better, but you never give any names other than Jackson (who came out hot, and has since come back down to earth and then some).

I fail to see any part of your evaluation that holds any merit.

He had pretty good velocity on some of those throws that hit receivers right in the hands and were dropped. I saw him stand there and deliver balls while under pressure. I saw a good arm I don't know where you get this weak arm crap. Last week he put to much on the deep balls. Yes he needs better timing but that will come. We won and he didn't lose the game for us. I can't ask more than that if we win. YOu keep claiming things that are obviously off base and won't own up to it.

It’s slow. He isn’t good throwing on the run. And because he had to float the ball due to an average arm he needs his feet set. Other qb’s can get away with okay footwork because they have more talent. Are you buying or selling that?

He holds the ball way too long. I say because his accuracy to hit moving targets and velocity are weak points in his game.

Look. Indy was without their best corner. Didn’t seem to matter. I bet guys are getting open. He’s just not pulling the trigger for a reason. I saw high throws, low throws, under throws and throws behind his receiver on passes that went more than 5 yards.

Ahh I feel dirty. I have to..ahh ...agree. Yuck yuck.

First let me say, he is a rook and recently had his bell ******* rung. Not giving up.

Now, I’ve seen these things as welll. Feet are like in cement (pos and neg), deep balls are rainbows and usually short making wr having to beat out cb. The staring down folks will come with time, but right now he seems set on a guy/play and goes. Is that the OC? Maybe.

End of day again, he is a young buck and learning. Will he ever be BB, no. No way. Can he compete? Maybe. Time will tell. I just hope the OC opens things up. We are not going to beat quality teams with this offensive play. If he ***** up, well he learns and we do too about what we have. Can’t keep him in a bubble and know nothing next year.

Ahh I feel dirty. I have to..ahh ...agree. Yuck yuck.

First let me say, he is a rook and recently had his bell ******* rung. Not giving up.

Now, I’ve seen these things as welll. Feet are like in cement (pos and neg), deep balls are rainbows and usually short making wr having to beat out cb. The staring down folks will come with time, but right now he seems set on a guy/play and goes. Is that the OC? Maybe.

End of day again, he is a young buck and learning. Will he ever be BB, no. No way. Can he compete? Maybe. Time will tell. I just hope the OC opens things up. We are not going to beat quality teams with this offensive play. If he ***** up, well he learns and we do too about what we have. Can’t keep him in a bubble and know nothing next year.

Last week his deep throws were long and not rainbows. I don't know where people are seeing these rainbows. His deep pass today was a bit long as well.

Just the pass off them. Almost like hail marry tosses. Donno. Don’t have the football IQ to say what I see but that how I’ve seen them. Not bashing him don’t get me wrong.

Edit. Like super high up in the air instead of a dart

He had pretty good velocity on some of those throws that hit receivers right in the hands and were dropped. I saw him stand there and deliver balls while under pressure. I saw a good arm I don't know where you get this weak arm crap. Last week he put to much on the deep balls. Yes he needs better timing but that will come. We won and he didn't lose the game for us. I can't ask more than that if we win. YOu keep claiming things that are obviously off base and won't own up to it.

When i went back to get scouting reports on Rudolph they were literally all over the place on him... from first round grades to second to mid rounds... weirdly enough the very first one that comes up seems to fit coach’s opinion Pretty well .. and no one says weak arm... the typical description is average or above average with the frame to potentially improve...

Its just his agenda that he won’t get off of ever... if the kid starts for 10 years and wins a super bowl he will just come up with some reason duck was still the better option... and who knows... in a few years maybe duck will be... but right now he isn’t and few qbs are really what they are gonna be by year two...

What I want to know is where are the quick slants.

They were there.....DJ, JuJu both TEs we’re running them all game, Mason was throwing check downs. There was one 3rd down play, JaySam got the check down, and DJ was wide open on the R to L slant. Had 30 yards of open field in front of him with no one around him. Mason didn’t even look at him on his read. Again that will improve with experience. Ben only had three reads with Whiz’s offense, but he had a solid running game too.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

They were there.....DJ, JuJu both TEs we’re running them all game, Mason was throwing check downs. There was one 3rd down play, JaySam got the check down, and DJ was wide open on the R to L slant. Had 30 yards of open field in front of him with no one around him. Mason didn’t even look at him on his read. Again that will improve with experience. Ben only had three reads with Whiz’s offense, but he had a solid running game too.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Dj was used as a decoy... as has been pointed out about that particular play you are talking about the dump off was the second read... Our offense isn’t the full one ben runs... its one or two reads and dump it off... by the time dj was open in the play you speak of, the ball was already in Samuels hands...

Pretty much the role of thumb for us is whoever has a big game one week will be the decoy the next week by the way... its kind of absurd...

Our starting wide receivers had a grand total of 19 yards.

The defense and special teams scored 13 points the offense had little to do with. Or was it more than that?

You are aware you can win games on Defense, right? I know it's been a few years, but it can happen, and it happened today. Try and enjoy some defensive football...

He probably heard it from some "media guy" and grasped at that straw like a life saver as it fits his agenda perfectly

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

You are aware you can win games on Defense, right? I know it's been a few years, but it can happen, and it happened today. Try and enjoy some defensive football...

Steelers have always been known for defense. Glad to see some attitude on that side of the ball of late.
We need offensive production though.

I don't understand 'slow' footwork. Is he messing up his 3 step, 5 step or 7 step? Is he crossing incorrectly? Is he taking incorrect steps? Tripping himself or others?

I've seen him not step into passing, but that is more decision making than footwork. He can't step up if the pocket collapses.

I also don't see an average arm, from a guy, when drafted, was the #1 deep ball QB in the NATION.

I personally don't mind the holding on to ball thing. Great QBs do this to let plays develop and make plays. I see Watson do it weekly. Same with Rogers, Newton, now Jackson. All the greats want to make plays, and you have to take the good and the bad with it when it happens. Today we gave up a safety from one.

I'll tell you what I see. A young QB who is on his 5th NFL start and recently recovered from a concussion. If anything, I'm seeing processing issues, not footwork problems.

I see a few problems. His arm is erratic at times. Balls behind the WRs, some too high. His deep balls look like wounded ducks. It's hard to see the WRs some times but even Fouts commented that he missed a wide open WR in the endzone. I don't know if he isn't processing the info fast enough or doesn't trust his arm. I have no idea. But there is no reason to change it up right now. Teams aren't taking away the short passes so why stop throwing them?

Throwing deep balls does not equate to arm strength. Any Nfl qb should be able to throw it 40-50 yards. Mason's deep balls were pretty ugly. Some of it is definitely due to the pocket collapsing and some has to do with him not getting set. I would like to see more zip on the intermediate throws. In preseason he seemed much better so im just hoping the struggles are due to just not being mentally there yet. Im not bashing the guy, but we definitely need to start throwing downfield more

before or after the game

I got a feeling my "RED HOT" pokers best be left at home if I was to visit his house after everyone has eaten JMM's chilli............

Salute the nation