• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New rule is going to be a big change

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed so if it's in another thread this can be deleted or merged. However, found out that you can no longer hand the ball in a forward motion. It will be considered an illegal forward pass. Now almost every team use the read option in some form Steelers included. However, teams with Athletic q's like Baltimore to my way of thinking are screwed. That's gotta be more than half their offense.

Just another rule that is unnecessary. But I think it will be easily adjusted with of course practice repetition.

I thought it was just a forward handoff past the line of scrimmage… or to an illegible player downfield… I don’t think it applies behind the LOS
I cannot see how a forward handoff beyond the LOS was ever legal. I'm pretty sure this is pistol formation back crosses the Q's face. Q holds on as long as he can till the edge commits. Gives or keeps.

Sounds like the return of the Statue of Liberty play in this league.

So is a shuffle pass still legal? I fail to see why it would be necessary to differentiate so long as it is behind the LOS.

This isn’t a rule change per se… it’s an adjustment of punishment on something that is already illegal… it doesn’t affect anything teams were doing on offense last year.. it just adds the loss of down to a rarely seen illegal play… I’m pretty sure it was just part of a bigger effort to make some of the penalties match up better… honestly outside of late game last second shenanigans I don’t see a scenario where this happens…

A shovel pass is a forward pass its just underhand. That will not change. A forward hand off is I would say like a jet sweep with no toss of the ball but also if the qb rides the running back into a forward exchange motion like on read option.

I don't see this rule as being any issue.

• Changes to handing the ball forward penalty. This is not a penalty you see called very often, but it could be undergoing two slight changes. Under the proposal, it would be illegal to hand the ball forward to an ineligible receiver beyond the line of scrimmage. Something like this could happen if a QB is being sacked and he tries to hand the ball to an offensive lineman before going down. Also, the proposal states that you can't hand the ball forward after a change of possession, which means the defense could theoretically be flagged for this if the proposal passes. (And for those wondering, a forward handoff is when a player receives a handoff when they are clearly in front of the player making the handoff).

I don't see this rule as being any issue.

• Changes to handing the ball forward penalty. This is not a penalty you see called very often, but it could be undergoing two slight changes. Under the proposal, it would be illegal to hand the ball forward to an ineligible receiver beyond the line of scrimmage. Something like this could happen if a QB is being sacked and he tries to hand the ball to an offensive lineman before going down. Also, the proposal states that you can't hand the ball forward after a change of possession, which means the defense could theoretically be flagged for this if the proposal passes. (And for those wondering, a forward handoff is when a player receives a handoff when they are clearly in front of the player making the handoff).
Sorry I'm ****** at linking and posting directly. I searched NFL rule changes 2023. A CBS article came up and it specifically said all handoffs must be backwards or directly to the side of the qb. It even cited the read option. I'm not saying it's not possible they are wrong but I definitely did not misread what was said to be what you have above.

To confuse the officials and fans alike.

This is so true as it takes the fan attention off manipulation and turns it onto crappy officiating………….. sort of a cover bait and switch sort of thing.

Salute the naqtion

I watched an official video from the NFL it didn't mention it. Which to me tells me I'm wrong. It would be a huge rule shift. The video a friend showed me last night which was the basis of the thread states it exactly as I am. But I'm thinking he may be misinterpreting things. I just don't see them not mentioning such a significant shift in the official video.

I watched an official video from the NFL it didn't mention it. Which to me tells me I'm wrong. It would be a huge rule shift. The video a friend showed me last night which was the basis of the thread states it exactly as I am. But I'm thinking he may be misinterpreting things. I just don't see them not mentioning such a significant shift in the official video.
pretty sure as some one said earlier this is just on handoffs past the LOS, really should not be a major issue

After you posted, i went out and looked at a bunch of stuff on it… it’s mostly Youtube blogger types misinterpreting things that are thinking its a big deal.. anything credible is basically saying its a tweak to an old rule…

After you posted, i went out and looked at a bunch of stuff on it… it’s mostly Youtube blogger types misinterpreting things that are thinking its a big deal.. anything credible is basically saying its a tweak to an old rule…
I agree. And I think the CBS article I read must have just been a screw up.