• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Steelers QB Russell Wilson Believes He Will Be The Starter In Pittsburgh: "He's Ultra Confident In His Abilities"

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
After weeks of speculation, the Pittsburgh Steelers have made a move at the quarterback position. They are signing nine-time Pro Bowler Russell Wilson to a one-year contract to come into town to battle former first round pick, Kenny Pickett. The team hasn't officially announced the signing yet, and they won't be able to do so until the new league year officially starts on March 13, but Wilson himself posted the news on his social media.

READ MORE

I saw this breaking news last night right before I went to bed. The Steelers can say whatever they want to say with regards to a QB Competition but the truth is Russell Wilson was brought in for a bargain basement price of $1.2 Mil and he was brought in to be the starter and to win a Super Bowl. IMO it speaks volumes and I do believe the Steelers Execs & Coaches have given up on Kenny Pickett going forward. He will not play in 2024 barring any injury to Wilson. How quickly NFL teams give up on QB's now since the Roethlisberger, Manning, Rivers era amazes me. I remember Terry Bradshaw being so god awful early in his career.....if he was drafted #1 overall in this era he probably would have been cut from any NFL Roster. Year 3 is a pivotal year for #1 Draft Picks as you need to make a decision on their 5th year. They will not do this with Pickett with little to no play time in 2024. I'm not sure how I feel about Russell Wilson but I do know it will be a 1 year contract to try and get Cam Heyward to the Promised Land. If the draft plays out the way I think it could I can see the Steelers drafting a young QB in the 3rd or 4th round like Jordan Travis from Florida State and letting him sit behind Wilson for a year. Pickett's time in the Burgh is over!

Excellent post @Chicoman

The coach have given Kenny every opportunity to shine. Mason took has chance and looked like a whole different QB - meaning he looked great and played great.

For an older younger player, Kenny needs more maturation. And bigger hands...

I believe you're spot on with the Steelers looking at a brand new kid in the later rounds to draft and one that will watch and learn behind Russell Wilson. Who that is we'll find out in April but I, for one, think the signing is definitely rubbing Kenny the wrong way and probably out of Pittsburgh...

Excellent post @Chicoman

The coach have given Kenny every opportunity to shine. Mason took has chance and looked like a whole different QB - meaning he looked great and played great.

Kenny was not given every opportunity to shine. One and a half games without the worst OC the NFL has seen in well over a decade is not every opportunity...

Excellent post @Chicoman

For an older younger player, Kenny needs more maturation. And bigger hands...

I believe you're spot on with the Steelers looking at a brand new kid in the later rounds to draft and one that will watch and learn behind Russell Wilson. Who that is we'll find out in April but I, for one, think the signing is definitely rubbing Kenny the wrong way and probably out of Pittsburgh...
I think there is a possible scenario that if the Steelers can resign Mason Rudolph and they pickup a young QB via the NFL Draft I could see Kenny Pickett being the odd man out and cut from the team!

Well he’s only gotta beat Kenny out for the job and Rudy did that so maybe a reason for some confidence from him

There’s a reason he chose the Steelers, zero good QBs on roster-the path of least resistance.

Would you really want a QB coming in that didn’t think he’d beat Kenny in a competition?

Kenny was not given every opportunity to shine. One and a half games without the worst OC the NFL has seen in well over a decade is not every opportunity...
If you go back and look at game footage even with a terrible OC like Matt Canada Kenny was not even seeing Wide Open receivers downfield on plays. Yes Kenny was clutch in some situations but when you saw stuff like that on the field it has to be concerning regardless of who the OC was. Also the thing that drives me crazy with Pickett is that he doesn't step up in the pocket and throw downfield....instead he spins to his left....and usually right into a Defender and is sacked for a loss when he had excellent protection and didn't need to scramble out of the pocket. Some of that stuff might not be fixable and I think the coaching staff sees exactly that.

Well he’s only gotta beat Kenny out for the job and Rudy did that so maybe a reason for some confidence from him

There’s a reason he chose the Steelers, zero good QBs on roster-the path of least resistance.

Would you really want a QB coming in that didn’t think he’d beat Kenny in a competition?
As I said this is the popular opinion and one the Steelers front office wants you to believe but Wilson is the Starter! Not officially but you don't bring in a HoFame QB and say....oh you've gotta compete for the job vs Kenny Pickett. Wilson is here to win a Super Bowl. Steelers just got much better at QB with this signing. It's only a year but this year could be special.

Yes he was. He got himself KO'd early in the second game without Canada at the helm because of his damn happy feet.

I'm sure you can go back at watch the play.

Probably right. We won't know until he speaks.

What it does look like from the bleachers is that there really is no methodical path forward for the leadership. The QB choices have been lame for a number of years. Grabbing at straws, thinking the next shiny new tool will get us to the promised land, etc.

I hope this works. As of Wednesday - Go Wilson!

If you go back and look at game footage even with a terrible OC like Matt Canada Kenny was not even seeing Wide Open receivers downfield on plays. Yes Kenny was clutch in some situations but when you saw stuff like that on the field it has to be concerning regardless of who the OC was. Also the thing that drives me crazy with Pickett is that he doesn't step up in the pocket and throw downfield....instead he spins to his left....and usually right into a Defender and is sacked for a loss when he had excellent protection and didn't need to scramble out of the pocket. Some of that stuff might not be fixable and I think the coaching staff sees exactly that.
Ahhhh...a nice dose of reality and truth.

Very refreshing!!!

He will get another chance once Wilson is gone.. probably next year..

If Kenny doesn’t pout like a petulant child..

Probably right. We won't know until he speaks.

What it does look like from the bleachers is that there really is no methodical path forward for the leadership. The QB choices have been lame for a number of years. Grabbing at straws, thinking the next shiny new tool will get us to the promised land, etc.

I hope this works. As of Wednesday - Go Wilson!
Hope it works if indeed he signs which all
Signs point towards

Hopefully he plays like a QB with something to prove and not like the guy two teams paid record money to just to get him to leave

As I said this is the popular opinion and one the Steelers front office wants you to believe but Wilson is the Starter! Not officially but you don't bring in a HoFame QB and say....oh you've gotta compete for the job vs Kenny Pickett. Wilson is here to win a Super Bowl. Steelers just got much better at QB with this signing. It's only a year but this year could be special.
I’m definitely not going that far yet with the Russ optimism

It's almost like they thinking they will bring Russell in with hopes they can get to the SB for Cam and even Watt and then they blow it up completely in a year or two. I just don't see the one-year deal as anything but negative for the Steelers, in general. They will be better this year than last with or without Russell. When Russell leaves, KP will be following shortly thereafter. They gave up on him without giving him a chance to work, grow, and play with a legit O and OC calling the plays. I hope KP goes even harder during his offseasons with the best QB trainers out there and is ready to go when he hits FA in 2 years. I hope he gets another chance, a true legit chance, to start in the NFL. He was put in a shiznit show called the Steelers who will still only go 10-7, at best this year.

I'm not a Wilson fan, but for a million dollars there is virtually no risk for us with potential big upside. Im not sure how anyone can really fault this move. Even if Wilson stinks and can't beat out kenny we are getting a vet backup QB for a little over a million. If wilson causes team chemistry issues i imagine we can just cut him with little penalty. Everything seems like a win win situation for us

The only positive I can see right now to this...I want to emphasize right now...hopefully my opinion will change, is that at 1.2 million they have addressed the position for very little money. Hopefully they can sign a couple of big free agents at other positions and really improve this team.

I'm not a Wilson fan, but for a million dollars there is virtually no risk for us with potential big upside. Im not sure how anyone can really fault this move. Even if Wilson stinks and can't beat out kenny we are getting a vet backup QB for a little over a million. If wilson causes team chemistry issues i imagine we can just cut him with little penalty. Everything seems like a win win situation for us
Thank you for helping me see a positive. I'm not a Wilson fan either, and the stuff you hear about his entourage and all that...oh boy. But like you said you can cut him with little penalty,

It also free's up cap money they would of spent on a pricey vet, with less skills, like a Tanneyhill..

Lol let me cynically explain what the options are here... assuming that no matter what happens it turns out bad for us 🤣

A. Wilson wins the starting role, Pickett demands a trade, and then Wilson continues to stat out but lose, While pickett wins elsewhere

B. Wilson wins the starting role, does ok, then we sign him for too much and too long next year and he ruins us

C. Pickett wins the starting role, Wilson becomes a Tomlin " no hostages" special

D. Wilson gets handed the starting role due to his Vet status and then sucks and we flip back to a ruined Pickett after the hole is too deep to climb out of

E. Wilson narrowly beats out Pickett in camp then immediately gets injured, creating a huge flux that the team never recovers from.

F. Wilson looks like all the rest of our non ben QBs under the tomlin era and Rudolph balls out in Denver or wherever...

G. Wilson starts out great, then hits a wall and we still resign him next year

I am pretty sure they didn't want EVER risking a throw and that lead to the hesitancy. I think his issues were 95% Mat Canada having a tighter sphincter than randy the Sphincter Fichtner, and that is saying a lot. The look on Matt's face when Kenny said **** it and chucked it to Pickens to win the game said it all. I wouldn't count Kenny out.