• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Steelers QB Russell Wilson Believes He Will Be The Starter In Pittsburgh: "He's Ultra Confident In His Abilities"

Not even a little bit when Canada was your coach. Not even close. If that was all they gave Bradshaw, where would we have been?

Not even close is right.

At least Wislon is a 1 year rental who is dollar store cheap..err well not for Denver.. We will figure him out in a short period of time anyway.

Wilson excelled in a system in Seattle similar to the one Smith intends to run next season. I don't expect him to play at that level but it will be a big improvement over what was in house. Clearly the powers that be weren't satisfied with anyone in the QB room.

At least if this fails we aren't tied down long term. But I think Wilson is out to say a big FU to Payton and Denver.

You honestly think shades will give Kenny a fair shot against Wilson? I don’t!
Bringing him in to start not backup. They think this is their big chance to win a SB and as I mentioned in another post, they’re panicking because the defense is aging quickly.
Kenny will have reps, won't he? Make the best of them

WIlson either works out great for the Steelers, or KFP gets his chance. If neither gets the Steelers a couple playoff wins, then we know that neither is the QB1 of the future.

We get to a decision by the end of 2024, and move on past KFP and/or Wilson as is necessary.

I think it is very fair to have KFP battle against an aging QB....if he cannot best him in year 3, with an extended college career, then KFP is not our QB1.

Has Wilson actually signed yet? Do we have terms?

WIlson either works out great for the Steelers, or KFP gets his chance. If neither gets the Steelers a couple playoff wins, then we know that neither is the QB1 of the future.

We get to a decision by the end of 2024, and move on past KFP and/or Wilson as is necessary.

I think it is very fair to have KFP battle against an aging QB....if he cannot best him in year 3, with an extended college career, then KFP is not our QB1.

My understanding is that he hasn't been released yet by Denver. He cannot be released until Wednesday, so the Steelers cannot sign him until Wednesday.

$1.21 million when he signs Wednesday. League minimum.

Well he’s only gotta beat Kenny out for the job and Rudy did that so maybe a reason for some confidence from him

There’s a reason he chose the Steelers, zero good QBs on roster-the path of least resistance.

Would you really want a QB coming in that didn’t think he’d beat Kenny in a competition?
Tomlin's coaching will bring him back to earth.

Damn ---tough crowd..

We just signed a very capable legit NFL caliper QB for absolute peanuts and people are bitching?!?

This immediately makes the Pittsburgh Steelers relevant in the league again.

Don't worry----BE HAPPY!
The only people complaining about this no brainer signing, are the official card carrying members of the Kenny Pickett Fan Club. There is absolutely no downside to this signing. If Pickett is as great as his fans think he is, he should be able to beat out Wilson for QB1. Instead of being anointed, he has to earn his spot. If he is not mentally tough enough to do that...then that is on him.

Kenny will have reps, won't he? Make the best of them
Well, I hope he doesn’t get the Mason Rudolph treatment. Tomlin will say anything!
This move imo was all Tomlin’

What’s scary for me is that Denver is paying ol’Russ 38 Miilion to not play for them.
Let that one sink in!

My guess is this. If they both look the same in preseason they go with Wilson. Then he has to get injured or suck and the team is all but buried for KP to get legit starter.

Now that the Fields market has tanked, I would have much rather gotten him for a 3rd (what the pundits are now saying he can be had for.) since you are blowing up KP's chances of staying on the team with the new OC passed his rookie contract. Fields is young and has by no means hit his peak or his ceiling. Wilson is on the last legs of his career.
Fields costs you Draft capital AND a higher salary, for the SAME one year rental.

In a discussion WITHOUT an agenda, Wilson is a BETTER QB than Fields. No one can argue that is not true for 2024.

Steelers have shown ZERO ability to develop a QB, let alone rehabilitate a failing QB.

Damn ---tough crowd..

We just signed a very capable legit NFL caliper QB for absolute peanuts and people are bitching?!?

This immediately makes the Pittsburgh Steelers relevant in the league again.

Don't worry----BE HAPPY!
They’re just kicking the can down the road to more years of 9-7. Wilson will not win playoff games at 36. He will be dump off short pass chump when the rats and browns rush him. He’s 36, doesn’t have mobility, doesn’t want to get hit, and just adds another skill position diva to our offense that already has them in spades, at least Rudolph and Pickett tried to forge a relationship with the youngwide receivers, Wilson is a selfish older player and will do none of that, get ready for Instagram drama gents

He will give our beloved hc another year of 8-8 to 10-6 football and a wild card exit ceiling.

Omar needs to be allowed to decide what QB is their long term guy then trade up to a premium pick to get him, then get a competent head coach to develop him-none of which will happen of course

Fields costs you Draft capital AND a higher salary, for the SAME one year rental.

In a discussion WITHOUT an agenda, Wilson is a BETTER QB than Fields. No one can argue that is not true for 2024.

Steelers have shown ZERO ability to develop a QB, let alone rehabilitate a failing QB.
And the Steelers are 0-1 with over-drafted former Bear QBs, not including Tomczak

I do not like the move one bit. I think it sends a horrible message to Kenny who after Canada was fired played well at Cincinnati and at home the first half against the Cardinals.
Don’t set yourselves up for a SB run with this guy like the Broncos thought they were doing when they signed him. I’m not going to do that!
They needed to run with Kenny this season under Arthur Smith and a stronger OL and give him a legitimate chance.
This stinks of Shades once again who continues to screw up everything he touches with QB being his centerpiece.
Pickett simply needed to look better. Even with the limitations and poor coaching, he didn't make the plays that were there and his faults were glaring. If he threw 16 TDs and 6 INTs last year, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now because that would've been progress. If he wants the job, he can go out and win it. Wilson doesn't have a huge paycheck that will lock him into the role.

If Wilson can’t win the starting QB over Pickett then we are a sad team

Pickett simply needed to look better. Even with the limitations and poor coaching, he didn't make the plays that were there and his faults were glaring. If he threw 16 TDs and 6 INTs last year, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now because that would've been progress. If he wants the job, he can go out and win it. Wilson doesn't have a huge paycheck that will lock him into the role.

I hope Kenny beats him out in the summer but Tomlin most likely already promised the job to Wilson.
Pickett was showing better after Canada got fired and he should have been given the chance in 24 under a new OC.
Chances are he performs better under Smith and if he doesn’t then we draft a WN in 25.
Wilson has a lot of sacks and fumbles the last few years and that should be interesting with Tomlin.
We shall see but I hate the move and think it does no good for Kenny’s progress.

Why did they go after this has been.