• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Steelers QB Russell Wilson Believes He Will Be The Starter In Pittsburgh: "He's Ultra Confident In His Abilities"

He’s not beating out Wilson. Based on how he responded to Mason starting the final games, I fully expect him to pout about the situation.

How did he respond? There were mixed reports, he flat out denied the report that he refused to back up. And he even helped move a heater near Mason to keep him warm on the sideline. I don't see this where he treated anything like his birthright...

He’s not beating out Wilson. Based on how he responded to Mason starting the final games, I fully expect him to pout about the situation.
That was bullshit. Cherry picked photos out of context with plenty of photos showing him smiling and cheering. Just more hater crap.

How did he respond? There were mixed reports, he flat out denied the report that he refused to back up. And he even helped move a heater near Mason to keep him warm on the sideline. I don't see this where he treated anything like his birthright...
The heater move smelled of phony baloney. Doesn't matter Russ will start.

Well, I hope he doesn’t get the Mason Rudolph treatment. Tomlin will say anything!
This move imo was all Tomlin’
Oh give us a break. Everything is “a
I'm not saying he's elite, I'm not saying any draft person said he was elite, but you don't take a QB at #20 overall to be a game manager, Tomlin/Steelers thought he was going to be "The Guy" or they wouldn't have taken him. That's why they brought Wilson in, they realized Pickett is nothing more than a career back up.
Pickett is now on a five-month “prove it” contract. He’s got five months to show he was worthy of that 1st round pick. If he can’t beat out an aging veteran, he probably won’t get another chance to start in Pittsburgh (and likely not in the league).

All we can hope for is that he responds like Mason did...as a professional. We will see soon enough.

All we can hope for is that he responds like Mason did...as a professional. We will see soon enough.
I hope he does too. That would be a win/win situation for everyone. I’m just not optimistic.

I hope he does too. That would be a win/win situation for everyone. I’m just not optimistic.
Tomlin simply has no clue how to handle a QB situation since Ben left.

Wait a minute wait a
Minute!!!

Where is Mason’s name on that list?

T- biscuit getting yet another chance, scrubs like Mariotta and Lock and injury prone old man Taylor all getting paid!

**** Cam Newton May sign before Mason and then Mason comes crawling back to Pit on a vet min deal too 😂

I want all our backup QBs combined to be paid less than the punter!!
I did not forget about Mason .......... I just listed guys who had signed a deal already to show how much of a bargain Wilson is for a year ...... compared to other guys that are employed as a QB

Consider dear Steeler friends! What Kenny has to be is efficient. He does not need to be elite, but efficient.
Put in a real offense if the Steelers can get 25 to 28 TDs with under 10 ints, 3200-3500 yards, with a good passer rating not great but good, I’m happy.
With a powerful running game, opening play action I just need Kenny to be efficient.

I’m not delusional thinking he will ever be Ben because he won’t, but I don’t need him to.
He needs to clean up his mechanics, get in a good system and I think he’ll be fine,
I never thought of Kenny as being elite and that’s fine, doesn’t need to be, not too many of those out there anyway. I want to see how he performs under Arthur Smith and if he can be that efficient QB I think he can be.
Ben only threw 25+ TDs in 9 of 18 seasons. 25+ TDs is basically in the top-10 in any given here. That is way more than efficient, that is pretty darn good.

Kenny's problems go beyond mechanics. They include pocket presence (not coachable) and field vision (partially coachable). Regression in year two following poor production in a rookie year means he would need a very significant turnaround to become a long-term starter. In 25 games he did not take over a single one. Players take time to develop, but if you're a starting QB in the NFL, you should luck into at least one monster game in 25. Pickett couldn't even do that.

Ben only threw 25+ TDs in 9 of 18 seasons. 25+ TDs is basically in the top-10 in any given here. That is way more than efficient, that is pretty darn good.

Kenny's problems go beyond mechanics. They include pocket presence (not coachable) and field vision (partially coachable). Regression in year two following poor production in a rookie year means he would need a very significant turnaround to become a long-term starter. In 25 games he did not take over a single one. Players take time to develop, but if you're a starting QB in the NFL, you should luck into at least one monster game in 25. Pickett couldn't even do that.
Wow! Everyone is bailing on the guy I guess except me.
I think 25 TDs is very doable for the guy if he’s put in the right situation which he wasn’t here.
I think that’s efficient, not great numbers but certainly very respectable. I think when a QB is north of 35 TDs that’s getting into the great numbers and I don’t think Kenny will or even has to get there.
Yes, more than mechanics but I think he can improve on pocket awareness and field vision but now the question is will he get the chance with the new OC.

I think 25 TDs is very doable for the guy if he’s put in the right situation which he wasn’t here.
I think that’s efficient, not great numbers but certainly very respectable. I think when a QB is north of 35 TDs that’s getting into the great numbers and I don’t think Kenny will or even has to get there.
Yes, more than mechanics but I think he can improve on pocket awareness and field vision but now the question is will he get the chance with the new OC.
It's unlikely that Wilson, or most starting QBs for that matter are able to get through 17 games in today's NFL without missing some time due to injury. It's up to Kenny to be prepared if he's needed. If he doesn't show growth from his deficiencies when opportunity arises, that's on him.

Did you watch Pickett in college? He struggled to throw TDs for three of four years as a starter. Getting up to 25 TDs puts him in the top 10 in the league in TD passes. At his current pace, it's going to take him 4 years to get up to 25 TDs for his career.

His pocket presence isn't going to improve, it is what it is at this point, he just has to manage it. It's basically engrained in his muscle memory to leave a clean pocket and even if he improves, the first time he has a bad OL again he'll revert back to his habits. That is how his career has gone, unfortunately. I thought he was past it after his final year at Pitt, but he's proven otherwise.

I'm willing to bet most of the people complaining about the signing would be doing the same if we had passed on the signing and Wilson had gone elsewhere for the league minimum.
They'd be complaining about something, that's for sure.

So just top 5 picks are suppose to be elite? I don't think he was ever going to be elite, but the Steelers/Tomlin must've, you don't take a QB in the first round in the hopes that they can just manage a game.
If you think that a QB you can work with is available, it really doesn’t matter where you take them. KP8 was the QB they wanted, and he fell to them. Just because he fell to them doesn’t mean that he would be there for their next pick. They felt they needed a QB, and by all rights they were right.

Nobody expected ALL the QB’s to fall to the 3rd. Sure hindsight allows you to say wait, but there could have been just as easily a run on ALL the QB’s immediately after the Steelers #1 pick. KP8 could have just as easily been the last of the top 5 QB’s picked before their 2nd round pick. Maybe he even went somewhere with a coaching staff that knows how to develop players.

Consider dear Steeler friends! What Kenny has to be is efficient. He does not need to be elite, but efficient.
Put in a real offense if the Steelers can get 25 to 28 TDs with under 10 ints, 3200-3500 yards, with a good passer rating not great but good, I’m happy.
You do realize that you're nearly perfectly describing Wilson's 2023 season with the Broncos (behind an OL with one of the worst pressure rates in the league), right?
3070 yards (in 15 games), 26 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions, #8 in the NFL with a 98 passer rating

But, no, you won't be happy unless it's Kenny putting up those types of efficient numbers. :doh:

What has anyone seen in Pickett to think he can be a legit #1??? Anyone??? Anything???

And whoever said the fact they brought Wilson in doesn't mean they don't have confidence in Pickett, that's exactly what it means. Pickett was our 1st round pick for the love of god, if they had confidence in Pickett, Wilson would not be here.

I've never seen such an average player get so many excuses.

The NFL draft is a crap shoot from 1:1
Yeah, no one said it wasn't. So you're going to draft a QB at #20 overall and just expect him to be a game manager? No GM/Coach thinks that, they drafted Pickett to be the next franchise QB, and he's not that, not even close.

Well..
If you think about why..
The man really has no prior coaching experience related to the concern.

Maybe now with Smith as OC he has someone he can lean on in these situations?

I had a few days to chew on this acquisition of Russ.
Smart move. I think that Smith will scheme the offense to what Wilson does best and get Russ involved with the planning. He’s going to be happier with Tomlin/Smith than with Payton.

Getting rid of Dionte helped the Russell Wilson acquisition better by getting him another receiver/calling Tyler Boyd or Hunter Renfrow.

Tomlin simply has no clue how to handle roster construction since Cowher's team left.

Hopefully Khan can Tomlin proof the roster and fill it with ready-made players who need little to no coaching up or structure/discipline.

Man, it’s gonna be a great competition in camp between Patrick Queen, Elandon Roberts and Cole Holcomb to see who starts at LB.

What has anyone seen in Pickett to think he can be a legit #1??? Anyone??? Anything???

And whoever said the fact they brought Wilson in doesn't mean they don't have confidence in Pickett, that's exactly what it means. Pickett was our 1st round pick for the love of god, if they had confidence in Pickett, Wilson would not be here.

I've never seen such an average player get so many excuses.
I have seen such an average coach get so many accolades though