• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL 2023 draft simulator

14. Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia. Damn near broke my mouse clicking it. Had multiple trade offers, of course, but can't pass up this dude.
33. Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma. Move Moore inside to LG and the left side is huge.
44. JL Skinner, S, Boise State. Bigger dude (6'4", 220) and hopefully an upgrade from Edwards
75. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington. Another big bodied WR at 6'3, 201. Pickens, Austin 3 and Odunze would allow us to move DJ - hopefully during the draft.

114 and 225 - traded to Washington for 117 and 181 (Washington chose Jalen Graham, LB, Purdue)

117. Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois. At 6'1, 180, he needs some Primantis. But has coverage skills, even if he lacks in the INT department.
181. Dorian Williams, LB, Tulane. 6-2, 225. Said to be a "gifted athlete" - most likely would need to spend time on ST to acclimate to the NFL.
207. Ali Gaye, OLB, LSU. 6-6, 265. Good size, but has leverage issues.

14. Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia. Damn near broke my mouse clicking it. Had multiple trade offers, of course, but can't pass up this dude.
33. Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma. Move Moore inside to LG and the left side is huge.
44. JL Skinner, S, Boise State. Bigger dude (6'4", 220) and hopefully an upgrade from Edwards
75. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington. Another big bodied WR at 6'3, 201. Pickens, Austin 3 and Odunze would allow us to move DJ - hopefully during the draft.

114 and 225 - traded to Washington for 117 and 181 (Washington chose Jalen Graham, LB, Purdue)

117. Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois. At 6'1, 180, he needs some Primantis. But has coverage skills, even if he lacks in the INT department.
181. Dorian Williams, LB, Tulane. 6-2, 225. Said to be a "gifted athlete" - most likely would need to spend time on ST to acclimate to the NFL.
207. Ali Gaye, OLB, LSU. 6-6, 265. Good size, but has leverage issues.

Good draft. Harrison is a bit raw but has the feet, strength to handle LT. Also 100% agree you CANNOT pass on Jalen Carter, no doubt. I had one mock couple weeks ago where he was still there at 10 and waited about 1/10th of a second before selecting him.

• PIT

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma
    trade icon
  • PIT

John Michael Schmitz
    OC Minnesota

• PIT

Brandon Dorlus
    DT Oregon
    trade icon
  • PIT

Brandon Joseph
    S Notre Dame

• PIT

Owen Pappoe
    LB Auburn
    trade icon
  • PIT

Byron Young
    DT Alabama
    trade icon
  • PIT

D'Anthony Jones
    EDGE Houston
    trade icon
  • PIT

Ali Gaye
    EDGE LSU

• 2024 MIN 1st
  • 2024 TB 2nd

was not going to trade cause Steelers never really do. but then had a chance to
trade bac a few picks on the chase claypool 2nd and pick up a 1st in 2024. cause you know that will happen.

pfn-logo-black

• PIT

Jared Verse
    EDGE Florida State
    trade icon
  • PIT

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

• PIT

John Michael Schmitz
    OC Minnesota

• PIT

Tyrique Stevenson
    CB Miami (FL)

• PIT

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa

• PIT

Zack Kuntz
    TE Old Dominion

• PIT

Jadon Haselwood
    WR Arkansas

• 2024 TB 2nd
  • 2024 NYJ 2nd

Elite pass rusher, solid LT prospect (had to wait until 33 because my two targets, Skoronski and B. Jones gone by 26), solid C who can start early, solid CB with ball skills, an ILBer who has been incredibly productive and very good in pass coverage and who is BIG for the position (6'5", 245 lbs.), an "ehh" WR prospect, and hey, who doesn't like Kuntz?

Oh, and two 2024 2nd round picks. Are we starting to see how nice it is to have extra high-end draft picks??

14. Joey Porter Jr, CB, Penn State - Rejects trade offers (Passed on Trenton Simpson)
~ Trade Picks 33 and 209 to Jacksonville for 37 and 106 ~
37. Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
44. Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee
(which allows us to trade Johnson during the draft)
78. DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas (provided we let BusT walk prior to the draft)
106. Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson
113. Will McDonald, LB, Iowa St
225. Matthew Jones, OG, osu

14. Joey Porter Jr, CB, Penn State - Rejects trade offers (Passed on Trenton Simpson)
44. Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee (which allows us to trade Johnson during the draft)
78. DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas (provided we let BusT walk prior to the draft)
Still would be one WR short.

Joey Porter Jr.
CB Penn State

Anton Harrison
OT Oklahoma

Siaki Ika
DT Baylor

DeMarvion Overshown
LB Texas

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Jermaine Burton
WR Alabama

Matthew Jones
OG Ohio State

44. Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee
(which allows us to trade Johnson during the draft)

100% agree with the approach of getting a genuine #1 CB. Steelers face Chase, Higgins, Cooper 2x per year. Get the guy to shut down that receiver.

But the LT need is overwhelming right now, as is an improvement in the pass rush. Too many times the DB's are expected to cover for 5 seconds because the rush is not doing ****.

100% agree with the approach of getting a genuine #1 CB. Steelers face Chase, Higgins, Cooper 2x per year. Get the guy to shut down that receiver.

But the LT need is overwhelming right now, as is an improvement in the pass rush. Too many times the DB's are expected to cover for 5 seconds because the rush is not doing ****.
i was just going for value in that one, but really liked it.
I'm using https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/ to research the players i'm not familiar with. Lots of good info there.

Cedric Tillman is my sneaky pick. Slightly bigger than Pickens, and would give Pickett two 6'3" WRs moving forward. He's also not as brash as Pickens is, just quietly going about his role. And he played #2 to Jalin Hyatt at Tennessee, so could be quite effective as a #2 WR with borderline #1 skills.

I am always either BPA or if I can get a surplus of value trade down. That would always be my approach. I would only trade up if I could move up and get a BPA for a great value. That is why the TP trade was so epic. We gave the Chiefs peanuts to move up. If you look at the value chart we should have had to give up #59 instead of #92 to move up that far. Of course Cowher's man crush on Alonzo Jackson made such an awesome trade look more average. But still an awesome move.

I am always either BPA or if I can get a surplus of value trade down. That would always be my approach. I would only trade up if I could move up and get a BPA for a great value. That is why the TP trade was so epic. We gave the Chiefs peanuts to move up. If you look at the value chart we should have had to give up #59 instead of #92 to move up that far. Of course Cowher's man crush on Alonzo Jackson made such an awesome trade look more average. But still an awesome move.
I look at BPA, and if there is a guy there at position of need vs position of surplus (example: a DT vs QB/RB for us), then I go that route.
I'm not opposed to even taking two Tackles in the same draft, either back to back or two + rounds later.

IMO, for us, we need in this draft:
1A. LT
1B. CB(we have bodies, but no stud)
3. DT
4. WR
5. Center
6. LB
7. Safety

of course, for Tomlin that translates to:

1. WR
2. TE
3. Safety
4. PK
5. OLB
6. OG
7. DT

• PIT

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma
    trade icon
  • PIT

John Michael Schmitz
    OC Minnesota

• PIT

Brandon Dorlus
    DT Oregon
    trade icon
  • PIT

Brandon Joseph
    S Notre Dame

• PIT

Owen Pappoe
    LB Auburn
    trade icon
  • PIT

Byron Young
    DT Alabama
    trade icon
  • PIT

D'Anthony Jones
    EDGE Houston
    trade icon
  • PIT

Ali Gaye
    EDGE LSU

• 2024 MIN 1st
  • 2024 TB 2nd

was not going to trade cause Steelers never really do. but then had a chance to
trade bac a few picks on the chase claypool 2nd and pick up a 1st in 2024. cause you know that will happen.

I like the “realness” of this !!!

Salute. The n nation

I look at BPA, and if there is a guy there at position of need vs position of surplus (example: a DT vs QB/RB for us), then I go that route.
I'm not opposed to even taking two Tackles in the same draft, either back to back or two + rounds later.

IMO, for us, we need in this draft:
1A. LT
1B. CB(we have bodies, but no stud)
3. DT
4. WR
5. Center
6. LB
7. Safety

of course, for Tomlin that translates to:

1. WR
2. TE
3. Safety
4. PK
5. OLB
6. OG
7. DT
I thought Tomlin would be
1. WR
2. WR
3. TE
4. WR

I really look a lot at the roster and future contracts as well. This would be my need chart.
1a. LT
1b. ILB
3. DL
4. Edge
5a. S
5b. CB
7a.TE
7b. QB

LT is my top priority because I feel if we kick Moore to LG we have a top 10 offensive line. One player can make us go from bottom half to perhaps one of the best . Bush is an UFA next year and Jack is one the year after that. I don't think Bush stays but Jack perhaps. Either way, neither are playing great. DL because Alualu, Larry, and Wormley are all free agents next year. I think we can pull one of Larry or Wormley but not both. Edge because Highsmith is coming up on his rookie contract and Watt is going to be 29 next year. We have no depth behind those two anyways so getting a guy who can keep those two fresh and provide some sort of safety net would be nice. Safety because we have depth but I feel Edmunds or Kazee leave next year and that leaves Norwood. CB I agree we are deep but don't have a true number one. TE because Gentry is a UFA next year. QB because I don't see Rudolph or Mitch being back next year.

That said it all depends on who is there when you pick. I don't have a center because Cole has played well JC is actually a decent backup. But if John Michael Schmitz is sitting there in round three I likely jump on that because he'd by far be the BPA and a huge improvement over what we currently have.

The good news, I guess, is that with so many needs - LT, OC, WR, RB2, DT, ILBer, CB, S - any pick of BPA should include a player who fills a need.

That's why I see TE, QB and P being the focus.

I thought Tomlin would be
1. WR
2. WR
3. TE
4. WR

I really look a lot at the roster and future contracts as well. This would be my need chart.
1a. LT
1b. ILB
3. DL
4. Edge
5a. S
5b. CB
7a.TE
7b. QB

LT is my top priority because I feel if we kick Moore to LG we have a top 10 offensive line. One player can make us go from bottom half to perhaps one of the best . Bush is an UFA next year and Jack is one the year after that. I don't think Bush stays but Jack perhaps. Either way, neither are playing great. DL because Alualu, Larry, and Wormley are all free agents next year. I think we can pull one of Larry or Wormley but not both. Edge because Highsmith is coming up on his rookie contract and Watt is going to be 29 next year. We have no depth behind those two anyways so getting a guy who can keep those two fresh and provide some sort of safety net would be nice. Safety because we have depth but I feel Edmunds or Kazee leave next year and that leaves Norwood. CB I agree we are deep but don't have a true number one. TE because Gentry is a UFA next year. QB because I don't see Rudolph or Mitch being back next year.

That said it all depends on who is there when you pick. I don't have a center because Cole has played well JC is actually a decent backup. But if John Michael Schmitz is sitting there in round three I likely jump on that because he'd by far be the BPA and a huge improvement over what we currently have.
I think Edmunds, Bush, Kaz (less likely), Larry could all return. None will command big contracts IMO.

I make Sutton a priority. Then look at ILBer in free agency and fill that spot quickly.

Then it would be IMO:

LT-CB high needs in the draft followed closely by DT and WR.

Then you are looking at OLber/G/ and some other late value at whatever.

I am hoping they really have a good free agency to lessen the need list going into the draft. This team needs to restock talent.

The good news, I guess, is that with so many needs - LT, OC, WR, RB2, DT, ILBer, CB, S - any pick of BPA should include a player who fills a need.

That's why I see TE, QB and P being the focus.
BPA of value sure. Looking at the strength of the draft it is very few options in that regard at LT in 1. Depending who is selected could be a good one there in one or high 2. As always should be good value in 2 at WR. Should be good value if they choose to go DT/DE in 1 or 2, ditto CB. C looks like 2 or 3 value. Same with S.

Not overly thrilled with the value at ILBer in the draft, maybe that will change as I glue closer. Nobody screams for me that they would be instant upgrades. Just a hard find when you are looking for a capable cover and solid run stuffer. One or two I have my eye on but let's say I don't see a surplus.

I don't see a RB needed before round 6. For me too many other bigger needs.

Not overly thrilled with the value at ILBer in the draft, maybe that will change as I glue closer. Nobody screams for me that they would be instant upgrades. Just a hard find when you are looking for a capable cover and solid run stuffer. One or two I have my eye on but let's say I don't see a surplus.

Agreed. I know some are pimping To'oto'o in the 3rd, but too many other needs. I think using a 4th on my favorite later pick, Jack Campbell of Iowa, is the way to go. Big, productive, actually solid in coverage. I think he runs an "ehh" 40 at the combine, 4.7 or something, but tape shows he plays fast. Value at pick 113.

And who besides me is once again miffed the team traded away a 5th for Ahkello Witherspoon? Stop trading picks for guys other teams are probably going to cut!

Agreed. I know some are pimping To'oto'o in the 3rd, but too many other needs. I think using a 4th on my favorite later pick, Jack Campbell of Iowa, is the way to go. Big, productive, actually solid in coverage. I think he runs an "ehh" 40 at the combine, 4.7 or something, but tape shows he plays fast. Value at pick 113.

And who besides me is once again miffed the team traded away a 5th for Ahkello Witherspoon? Stop trading picks for guys other teams are probably going to cut!
Thing is you need so many good corners and with the team not having a true number , I was ok with the risk. I think need dictated it. In a perfect world where the Steelers had a true number one and a solid number 2 sure. With the Steelers not having a lot of success at CB in the draft that further enforces that need to pull the trigger at getting some bodies in. Spoon did decent last year before regressing this year. Poor play then injury just was his bugaboo.

pfn-logo-black

• PIT

Broderick Jones
    OT Georgia
    trade icon
  • PIT

Gervon Dexter
    DT Florida

• PIT

Nolan Smith
    EDGE Georgia

• PIT

Mekhi Garner
    CB LSU

• PIT

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa
    trade icon
  • PIT

Jordan Morgan
    OT Arizona
    trade icon
  • PIT

Jammie Robinson
    S Florida State
    trade icon
  • 2024 HOU 4th
  • 2024 NYJ 5th

Can we agree I don't know what the hell is going on here? Anyhoo, legit starting LT, big athletic DT, very good edge rusher, a really good, physical CB prospect, my man-crush for improving ILB, an underrated OT who is a legit swing tackle, a very good coverage S (Minkah-lite), and two undervalued picks in the 4th and 5th. Those picks give the team draft capital to move up in the 2024 draft.

Thing is you need so many good corners and with the team not having a true number , I was ok with the risk. I think need dictated it. In a perfect world where the Steelers had a true number one and a solid number 2 sure. With the Steelers not having a lot of success at CB in the draft that further enforces that need to pull the trigger at getting some bodies in. Spoon did decent last year before regressing this year. Poor play then injury just was his bugaboo.

Yeah, he seemed like a productive player worth a 5th but there's a reason two other teams bailed on the guy.

My favorite CB prospect is now Mekhi Garner - LSU. A VERY big CB (listed at 6'2", 217 lbs.) who can battle big WR's like Chase, Higgins, Cooper, etc. Plays fast. I think he lasts until the 3rd because of a mediocre 40. If he runs a 4.40, he never makes it past pick 35.

pfn-logo-black

• PIT

Joey Porter Jr.
    CB Penn State

• PIT

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

• PIT

Gervon Dexter
    DT Florida

• PIT

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa

• PIT

Dontayvion Wicks
    WR Virginia

• PIT

Keondre Coburn
    DT Texas

• PIT

Tykee Smith
    S Georgia

No trades, which kind of defeats the purpose of a mock draft but whatever. Elite, big, physical CB. Solid LT prospect. Big, athletic DT. Tackling machine at ILB with underrated coverage skills. Solid WR, not great but good enough to be a legit slot prospect. Massive fireplug NT and a very skilled zone coverage S from an elite program. If you start for Georgia's D, you are good.

• PIT

Joey Porter Jr.
    CB Penn State

• PIT

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

• PIT

John Michael Schmitz
    OC Minnesota

• PIT

Drew Sanders
    LB Arkansas

• PIT

Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan

• PIT

Jermaine Burton
    WR Alabama

PIT
    Ali Gaye
    EDGE LSU

No trades again. Very good CB and rumor has it, he comes from football lineage. I may have to check on that. Then a LT and OC who upgrade the OL immediately. An edge LBer who is very underrated right now in Sanders and a big, sometimes dominant DT who can play the 0, 1 and 2. The last two are lottery picks. Steelers have a good history with players named "Gay" so why not "Gaye"?

I actually would be ok if the Steelers draft played out like this in the first two rounds.

Porter, and a two bemoths for the trenches.

Agreed. A top-tier, big CB, a solid LT prospect, and a massive DLman who plays the 0 or 1. With Ika at the 0, Heyward and Leal as DE's, Watt and Highsmith as OLB, I can basically guarantee that any problem stopping the run dis-a-*******-pears.