• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL 2023 draft simulator

Looking at the LT prospects, saw a guy playing RT for THE Ohio State in large part because Paris Johnson is at LT for THE Ohio State. Guy is Dawand Jones. Absolutely massive - freakishly huge - but very athletic. Just not athletic enough to be a LT, but man, at RT the dude would maul.

Looking at the LT prospects, saw a guy playing RT for THE Ohio State in large part because Paris Johnson is at LT for THE Ohio State. Guy is Dawand Jones. Absolutely massive - freakishly huge - but very athletic. Just not athletic enough to be a LT, but man, at RT the dude would maul.
Tackles are deep… a LT we’d have to grab high, but a damn good RT can be had in the mid rounds

I definitely wouldn't want to trade down and don't expect them to. Why would we want late-round guys like we always get. Go for immediate 10-year starters. Grab a LT or DL with your first pick for sure to anchor either line for the next decade. We actually can't really spend any more on D so they better be looking to draft a stud for the next 4 to 5 years. OL is the same. Both are in dire need of top quality, not quantity. This team isn't being rebuilt in one year. We will be losing as many as we bring in over the next 2 years. Our main deficiencies are as obvious as they can be - DL and OL.

Cooper Beebe from Kansas State is going to be a steal in this years draft. I watched him in the Conference championship where he played left guard. The LT got hurt and they slid him out to left tackle and he just shut down the rush. I couldn't believe how dominant he was at both positions.

Major piece to rebuilding the DL. Two new pieces to anchor the OL for the next decade. Some nice secondary help and a sneaky WR pick in round 7. Would have liked to have gotten an ILB but Carlies is as big as most ILB's measuring in the 6'-3" to 6'-4" range and 225 to 230 lbs. Get some good assistants to coach these guys up and we will be onto something.
    Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia

Matthew Bergeron
    OT Syracuse

Emmanuel Forbes
    CB Mississippi State

Tyrique Stevenson
    CB Miami (FL)

Ricky Stromberg
    OC Arkansas

Jaylon Carlies
    S Missouri

Jermaine Burton
    WR Alabama

Cooper Beebe from Kansas State is going to be a steal in this years draft. I watched him in the Conference championship where he played left guard. The LT got hurt and they slid him out to left tackle and he just shut down the rush. I couldn't believe how dominant he was at both positions.

Good call. Your secret is out, however. He is rated the 2nd best G in the draft.

Decent chance he goes in the 2nd round.

Good call. Your secret is out, however. He is rated the 2nd best G in the draft.

You know the Steelers like versatile O-Linemen.

You know the Steelers like versatile O-Linemen.

Beebe is really good. Problem is that he is too good to last until the 3rd round. That means the Steelers need to use 33/34 or 44/45 to get him.

That means they have to pass on one of CB, LT and DT. Yes, drafting based on need is a terrible idea (*cough* Troy Edwards) but I cannot stomach another season watching Moore get toasted on a speed rush, the defensive line getting raped up the middle, or the CB's doing this when the pass rush fails and the opposing QB has time to throw deep:

1250991947631.jpg

At first I thought you were headed to taking and converting him to LT.

GLAD I’m wrong in that thought.

We don’t need projects as you well know, we NEED true bonafide position pro who is solid and true in their spot. (Not a lot of coaching up available on this team)

Salute the nation

Beebe is really good. Problem is that he is too good to last until the 3rd round. That means the Steelers need to use 33/34 or 44/45 to get him.

That means they have to pass on one of CB, LT and DT. Yes, drafting based on need is a terrible idea (*cough* Troy Edwards) but I cannot stomach another season watching Moore get toasted on a speed rush, the defensive line getting raped up the middle, or the CB's doing this when the pass rush fails and the opposing QB has time to throw deep:

1250991947631.jpg
I won't pretend to be knowledgeable, like many here, at evaluating potential talent for the draft.

What I am sure of, watching the draft unfold year after year, is there will be a WTF moment or 2, maybe 3, when the Steelers run to the podium.

****! that conference championship game must have put him on the board. Great for him though.

• 13 Peter Skoronski OT |
    Sure up the left side. Have Skoronski and Moore battle in camp and whoever loses takes Dotson’s spot at LG,
  • 33 B.J. Ojulari EDGE |
    We have all seen what happens when TJ isn’t dominant. Our defense turns to 💩. This helps keep Highsmith and Watt fresh and imo gives us the best pass rusher in this draft.
  • 43 Darnell Washington TE |
    Imagine having Freiermuth and 6-7 Washington in on two TE sets. Or bring 3 with Heyward and make it look like a power formation. Then spread them out with Pickens high. Mismatches every where.
  • 74 John Michael Schmitz IOL |
    Cole and JC are actually playing well for us but at 74 I cannot pass on JMS. Dude consistently gets to the second level in run blocks and is a wall in pass blocking. Huge upgrade.
  • 111 Kris Abrams-Draine CB |
    Nickel back with crazy good speed and fluid hips. Not very big but plays bigger than he is.
  • 183 Tommy Eichenberg LB |
    Sneaky good athlete who is an outstanding tackler. Can flip and run in pass coverage as well.
  • 231 Isaiah McGuire DL |
    Probably needs to gain 15lbs of functional muscle to play end in the 3-4 but dude has 28tfl, 14.5 sacks, and 3 ff in the last two years in the SEC.

Last edited:
I feel strongly that they will draft a WR before TE. No slot and they have to capable pass catching TEs. Need will always trump wants.

I feel strongly that they will draft a WR before TE. No slot and they have to capable pass catching TEs. Need will always trump wants.
No WR was worth #43. Washington was BPA and with Gentry an UFA and Freiermuth concussion history a bigger need than people believe. I would rather go more two TE sets with DJ and Pickens out wide. Give the QB two plays. If the defense brings in an extra DB to try to cover the TE’s then run. If they bring in more of a base defense with a LB trying to cover then pass.

Sure up the left side. Have Skoronski and Moore battle in camp and whoever loses takes Dotson’s spot at LG,
  • 33 B.J. Ojulari EDGE |
    We have all seen what happens when TJ isn’t dominant. Our defense turns to 💩. This helps keep Highsmith and Watt fresh and imo gives us the best pass rusher in this draft.
    Imagine having Freiermuth and 6-7 Washington in on two TE sets. Or bring 3 with Heyward and make it look like a power formation. Then spread them out with Pickett high. Mismatches every where.
    Cole and JC are actually playing well for us but at 74 I cannot pass on JMS. Dude consistently gets to the second level in run blocks and is a wall in pass blocking. Huge upgrade.
    Nickel back with crazy good speed and fluid hips. Not very big but plays bigger than he is.
    Sneaky good athlete who is an outstanding tackler. Can flip and run in pass coverage as well.
    Probably needs to gain 15lbs of functional muscle to play end in the 3-4 but dude has 28tfl, 14.5 sacks, and 3 ff in the last two years in the SEC.

Interesting draft. I too have fallen prey to getting a legit edge rusher at 33. I go for J. Verse of Florida State, who is made to be a premium OLBer. I would LOVE to get Schmitz at 74 but no way he lasts that long.

I would use a 2nd rounder on Schmitz. I saw Linderbaum rip the middle of the Steelers defense a new ******* on Sunday and thought, "Gee, too bad the Steelers don't have a guy like that."

• 33 B.J. Ojulari EDGE |
    Imagine having Freiermuth and 6-7 Washington in on two TE sets. Or bring 3 with Heyward and make it look like a power formation. Then spread them out with Pickens high. Mismatches every where.

I really like the idea of getting JMS if he is there that late. We are wasting a roster spot with Green unless he has made some magic jump forward in the last year… we need that young inside lineman …

Interesting draft. I too have fallen prey to getting a legit edge rusher at 33. I go for J. Verse of Florida State, who is made to be a premium OLBer. I would LOVE to get Schmitz at 74 but no way he lasts that long.

I would use a 2nd rounder on Schmitz. I saw Linderbaum rip the middle of the Steelers defense a new ******* on Sunday and thought, "Gee, too bad the Steelers don't have a guy like that."
I was honestly so back and forth between Washington and JMS with 43. They were by far my top 2 BPA there. But Cole is playing well and JC when calling on has been above the line. So looking at a thin TE depth chart I went Washington. When JMS was still there at 74 it took less than a second to draft him. Probably try to get a 7th rounder and move Cole.

I really like the idea of getting JMS if he is there that late. We are wasting a roster spot with Green unless he has made some magic jump forward in the last year… we need that young inside lineman …
Oh god yeah. I think Skotonski and JMS guarantee Green would be cut. He’d fight it out in camp with Dotson for LG backup and JC center backup. I don’t see him beating either out so best possibility for him is PS.

Huh ... Devin BusT leaves after this season. ILBer is a pressing need. Noah Sewell is an ELITE talent. Having a tough time passing on him if he is there at 13 or 12 or whatever.

No WR was worth #43. Washington was BPA and with Gentry an UFA and Freiermuth concussion history a bigger need than people believe. I would rather go more two TE sets with DJ and Pickens out wide. Give the QB two plays. If the defense brings in an extra DB to try to cover the TE’s then run. If they bring in more of a base defense with a LB trying to cover then pass.
Don't think they will see the same need as you. We can always make a bet if you feel strongly.😁

Don't think they will see the same need as you. We can always make a bet if you feel strongly.😁
A bet that the very unlikely event that the draft unfolds the same as the simulator?

pfn-logo-black

• PIT

Noah Sewell
    LB Oregon

• PIT

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

• PIT

Siaki Ika
    DT Baylor
    trade icon
  • PIT

Tyrique Stevenson
    CB Miami (FL)

• PIT

Drew Sanders
    LB Arkansas
    trade icon
  • PIT

Jayden Reed
    WR Michigan State

• 2024 NE 4th

I cannot pass on Sewell. He is the guy to dominate the middle of the defense. Ika at NT, Sewell at the Mack and good luck running the ball.

Get a good LT prospect, toolsy CB with productivity in college, and moved up to get Sanders at 103. He is arguably a top-40 player in this draft. Lean but great burst off the edge and can beat almost any tackle to the edge. WR is a project but damn, dude, it's pick 225!

The defense is seriously upgraded, LT addressed, now have some depth at OLB when Highsmith gets expensive and top it off with NE 4th. Did have to give up Steelers 5th in 2024 as part of the Sanders deal.

no trade ups, no trade downs
Just Tomlin drafting

13. Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern. Gives us a legit LT to protect Kenny, and opens the door for years of criticism by passing on Porter at CB.
33. JL Skinner, S, Boise State. Edmunds is not that good, but not that bad, and Skinner gives us an upgraded replacement
43. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia. Cole and Hassenauer, as said above, are not doing that badly. But, we could improve there.
74. Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson. Passed on Ika, but Orhorhoro is more of the type of DL we draft. Hybrid DE/DT at 6-4, 300.
109. Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois. Likely gone by here, but if he's available, you have to take him.
209. Payton Wilson, LB, NC State. C-ya BusT. 6-4, 230 LB. No more midgets
225. Cornelius Johnson, WR, Meatchicken. We know Tomlin likes Johnsons.

A bet that the very unlikely event that the draft unfolds the same as the simulator?
I was talking in general that they would draft a WR first , which was what I stated and you responded. I take it you are not taking high stock in your own opinion.

K

I was talking in general that they would draft a WR first , which was what I stated and you responded. I take it you are not taking high stock in your own opinion.

K
Like I stated there wasn’t a WR worth the pick. So if you want to bet lets bet. I bet the Steelers don’t take a WR in the first round.