• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Observations.....Bills vs Steelers.....Preseason week 2.....

I noticed at one point late in the 1st half the Bills had double TOP.....could be a result of the emphasis on the passing game last night, idk.

We didn't hold the ball very long on offense because we scored two quick touchdowns (long reception by A. Brown and then we had a short field after the Shazier interception). The Bills had a couple long FG drives because they were pretty effective running the ball and with their dink-and-dunk passing game...our defense gave them a lot of help with penalties that gave them first downs and a bit of sloppy tackling.

Lets look at this from a football angle. You make a very relevant point. What can CBs do anymore, especially if they are going to call it the way they are in the preseason? When Parcells was coaching the Cowboys he made the comment that the way the game is being played, he would never take a corner in RD1. Now add into that the way the Steelers play their corners. Even in Rod Woodson's day they would back off and allow the underneath stuff. I have a feeling if they had drafted Dennard in RD1 it wouldn't look much different than what you see out of Blake or Green. So passing on a guy who could make explosive plays like Archer for a guy to back off and allow positive gains all the time makes no sense.

This is something I would love to ask LeBeau, as great as he has been. Teams are getting rid of the ball quick. It is obvious they are being coached to do this when playing the Steelers. Why not jam more? It would have to throw some things off for the offense, right?

Yes, when we beat New England in the regular season a few years ago we FINALLY were actively trying to jam their receivers. But as I can recall that was one of the only times.

Who is the dude #21 golden. He was flying all over the field. Not sure if that was him out of position, but he seemed to always be around the ball and making plays.

Golden is a safety/CB that has actually made some good play the last few preseasons. He is one of those guys I hope gets a real shot. as with most developmental guys... its easy to overlook them because they were on the roster or PS so long and didn't make an immediate impact to the team. He has ball skils and coverage skills. He plays safety and can tackle too, though not known as a big hitter

Does the NFL still allow CBs to cover receivers? I don't know where the comment about our CB play came from as EJ Manuel is a complete dink-and-dunker (and Watkins was injured early) so he didn't really test our CBs in a meaningful way...seems more like Tape just needed to ***** about picking Archer rather than making a relevant point...

I'm just pointing out that all the people with a boner for Archer are overlooking the fact that Archer is probably going to make like 5 plays per game and the starting CBs will be on the field all day.

Ike is still an OK CB but he's almost finished. Cortez has still not proven anything. William Gay is just a decent nickel CB. Looking down the road, Ike and Cortez might both be gone next year. What do you do at CB? That's a pretty big position to have a weakness.

I know the Steelers scheme does not ask as much of their CBs as some other schemes, but that doesn't mean you can just put late rounders and undrafted guys out there and be OK.

The turnovers created by the defense has been shockingly low the past few years. You don't think CBs are part of that equation?

When the Steelers took Archer, Jaylen Watkins was on the board and so was Ross Cockrell. I know the steelers liked Cockrell because they had him in for a visit.

I thought they should have taken a CB in Rd 1. With Fuller off the board by the steelers pick, I'm fine with taking Shazier over Dennard because Shazier is an elite athlete and Dennard is not. They still had many picks to land a CB. Likewise, i love the Tuitt pick. Tuitt is a first round talent that fell into their lap. They would have been crazy not to pick him.

That brings us to round 3. In the first 2 rounds, the steelers chose eite athletes at positions of need. Now in round 3, i just don't see Archer as more than a role player. He'll be an exciting role player, but still just a role player. Why are guys like Sproles, McCluster, and Woodhead not retained by their original teams?

It's because they are luxury guys. You'd love to have them but not at the expense of a starter.

If Cortez had proven himself already and the steelers had locked him up to a long term deal, then this would be a totally different situation. They steelers would have 1 stud CB to build around. But Cortez hasn't stepped up yet. Not Really. And if he does, the steelers may not be able to keep him like Keenan Lewis.

The Steelers can be screwed at CB next year and that's not even factoring in that Troy could possibly not be back next year. I've heard that speculation that the steelers will let Troy leave and go with Shamarko next year.

Next year's starting secondary could be
William Gay,
Rookie/free agent,
Rookie/free agent
Shamarko
Mike Mitchell

Are you concerned yet?

I'm just pointing out that all the people with a boner for Archer are overlooking the fact that Archer is probably going to make like 5 plays per game and the starting CBs will be on the field all day.

Ike is still an OK CB but he's almost finished. Cortez has still not proven anything. William Gay is just a decent nickel CB. Looking down the road, Ike and Cortez might both be gone next year. What do you do at CB? That's a pretty big position to have a weakness.

I know the Steelers scheme does not ask as much of their CBs as some other schemes, but that doesn't mean you can just put late rounders and undrafted guys out there and be OK.

The turnovers created by the defense has been shockingly low the past few years. You don't think CBs are part of that equation?

When the Steelers took Archer, Jaylen Watkins was on the board and so was Ross Cockrell. I know the steelers liked Cockrell because they had him in for a visit.

I thought they should have taken a CB in Rd 1. With Fuller off the board by the steelers pick, I'm fine with taking Shazier over Dennard because Shazier is an elite athlete and Dennard is not. They still had many picks to land a CB. Likewise, i love the Tuitt pick. Tuitt is a first round talent that fell into their lap. They would have been crazy not to pick him.

That brings us to round 3. In the first 2 rounds, the steelers chose eite athletes at positions of need. Now in round 3, i just don't see Archer as more than a role player. He'll be an exciting role player, but still just a role player. Why are guys like Sproles, McCluster, and Woodhead not retained by their original teams?

It's because they are luxury guys. You'd love to have them but not at the expense of a starter.

If Cortez had proven himself already and the steelers had locked him up to a long term deal, then this would be a totally different situation. They steelers would have 1 stud CB to build around. But Cortez hasn't stepped up yet. Not Really. And if he does, the steelers may not be able to keep him like Keenan Lewis.

The Steelers can be screwed at CB next year and that's not even factoring in that Troy could possibly not be back next year. I've heard that speculation that the steelers will let Troy leave and go with Shamarko next year.

Next year's starting secondary could be
William Gay,
Rookie/free agent,
Rookie/free agent
Shamarko
Mike Mitchell

Are you concerned yet?

I am absolutely NOT concerned. It doesn't bother me in the least. Hell, this year hasn't begun yet, why worry about next season?

That being said, I understand your point. I did not like the Archer pick for many of the reasons you have laid out. However, at that point in the draft, late 3rd round, it is not something I am going to get too worked up over. Are Watkins or Cockrell starters in this league down the line? Do they have that kind of ability? I take your word for it one way or the other, as I do not really follow the college guys.

I look at it more from the perspective of the Steelers, and what my eyes have told me watching them since Cowher and LeBeau brought this version of defense here. I don't believe a 1st round corner, unless he is truly special, and you suck enough the year before to get him, changes much of what you see out there. And what I see out there just doesn't warrant a 1st rounder or even passing on a guy that can get you chunks of yards like Archer may be able to get you. Richardson in the 5th can give as good a cushion and backpedal as Watkins in the 3rd.

My thoughts

Golden, Shazier, Wheaton, Shark, Archer all showing up and showing signs of why they are here.

Our defense sucks mainly our d line but at least we might have some young players to be excited about in other areas.

LJ has not improved at all. Maybe I'm impatient but he should not make the team this year he sucks.

Am I stupid for still having hope for Adams? He burns me every time.