• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

OLB's are the real problem on this Defense.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
OLB's on this Defense are a complete disgrace with the exception of James Harrison who is barely seeing any play time compared to Uncle Jarvis who IMO doesn't even deserve a roster spot on this defense! JUST PATHETIC!

Through Six Games
Jarvis Jones 14 tackles 7 Asst 1 INT 0 SACKS
Arthur Moats 5 tackles 6 Assts 1.5 Sacks
Anthony Chickillo 9 Tackles 2 Assts 1 Sack
James Harrison 12 tackles 3 Assts 0 Sacks 1 INT

You need to look no further than this to see where the weakness lies for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They need someone to step up at the OLB position!

I don't know if moving Shazier to OLB is an option but I think the Steelers could afford to move Shazier to OLB because we are pretty solid in the middle with Timmons and Williams. Even Matekevich played pretty well today on the inside. 8 tackles in one quarter of play.

IMO, it is the worst OLB core I've seen in a long long time. It's atrocious and also, no one on this defense can make plays currently. There has been a lot of dropped INTs from CBs so far where as last season, those were caught. Last year's defense was light years better than this years and I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Matakevich is barely a step faster than McCullers.

but we sure as **** need some pass rush.
I'd pick up and start every single P*ts wr/te in fantasy football, as Uggbitch will have a goddamn field day against this defense if they play like this again.

A troop of Girl Scouts could tackle better. Absolutely pathetically embarrassing. We went from the steel curtain to the frosty cupcake.

And we still have zero pass rush! Our scheme of letting teams dink dink death by paper cuts sucks fermented pig vomit.

OLB's on this Defense are a complete disgrace with the exception of James Harrison who is barely seeing any play time compared to Uncle Jarvis who IMO doesn't even deserve a roster spot on this defense! JUST PATHETIC!

Through Six Games

You need to look no further than this to see where the weakness lies for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They need someone to step up at the OLB position!

I don't know if moving Shazier to OLB is an option but I think the Steelers could afford to move Shazier to OLB because we are pretty solid in the middle with Timmons and Williams. Even Matekevich played pretty well today on the inside. 8 tackles in one quarter of play.

Shazier can't play OLB..either Dupree will get back and become a factor or we'll be spending another premium pick on a OLB. Sigh

like I said in a thread a while back, LBer should be your first look in the draft.

And hopefully a new D coach to coach them.

Through Six Games

Not much else to say. See my signature.

Having a first round CB with loads of speed playing 12-15 yards off his WR in 3rd and 5-7 range seemed pretty stupid as well. He has recovery speed and has made most of his pass break ups when playing closer to the WR. Time to play a little game of sink or swim and allow this guy closer to the LOS.

Our coverage sucks (outside of Cockrell) but our pass rush from the LBs is even worse.

Where is the heart on this team? Down one score the entire team looked defeated while all the energy was on a crappy Fins sideline.

like I said in a thread a while back, LBer should be your first look in the draft.
It's already been for several years but everyone they draft is either a) no good, b) injured a lot, or c) both a and b.

I temper this loss with the knowledge that we were pretty much playing our second and third string defense.

Al golden is back. ANyone see his whif on a tackle on that last TD run by Miami?

Big dan makes a nice push on the middle of that pocket.

Red is slow and you could really see it at times today.

They certainly aren't going to remind anyone of Lloyd, Porter or Kevin Green. Hell, I would give anything for them to play like Haggans or Woodley.

I don't see any imaginable way possible this defense, as built, can beat a dink and dunk Tom Brady led offense.

No pressure + soft coverage gets KILLED by Brady and the Patriots.

Plus the Patriots will pound it between the tackles with Blount which after this week, I see no way we slow down either.

I know they will bounce back. I know they normally play good teams (and teams that are less than a FG either way in point spread) really well. But god damn this looks like a bad matchup on paper.

We might have to score 40 just to keep it close.

For years, DBs were a problem, but that was because the steelers rarely invested any high picks in the secondary. Each year, they'd add a mid level free agent like Mitchell or some 5th and 6th round picks and them wonder why nobody makes plays.

That was at least explainable. The secondary just didn't have the athletes. But how do you explain the front 7 being weak? The Steelers have 4 First Round LBs. Heyward was a 1st rounder, and Tuitt a 2nd rounder. This front 7 should be destroying people

Three of the first rounders are out, and the other one would have trouble getting sacks in a highschool game.

LOL, you're probably right. Dupree is the guy we need back and to step up

Well this season is shaping up real nice overall.

For years, DBs were a problem, but that was because the steelers rarely invested any high picks in the secondary. Each year, they'd add a mid level free agent like Mitchell or some 5th and 6th round picks and them wonder why nobody makes plays.

That was at least explainable. The secondary just didn't have the athletes. But how do you explain the front 7 being weak? The Steelers have 4 First Round LBs. Heyward was a 1st rounder, and Tuitt a 2nd rounder. This front 7 should be destroying people

I'm going to say our best two players are Heyward and Shazier. With them we can cover some flaws. Both were out. Hargrove isn't helping much and none of our front seven aside from Heyward offer the ability to pressure the QB enough

The secondary can't seem to get an interception. Gay should have had one and early on it could have the key play for the game .

I'm going to say our best two players are Heyward and Shazier. With them we can cover some flaws. Both were out. Hargrove isn't helping much and none of our front seven aside from Heyward offer the ability to pressure the QB enough .

I hate to see Tuitt lumped into this mix. The guy has been playing his *** off but there is only so much he can do with the quality of help surrounding him.

Reactions: GMC
we need to play some 4-3 you need a nt who commands a double team, they sparsely use mcullers as well it is a must to have 2 top end edge rushers we have 1 on IR jones sucks, just start debo and play him there till he says he needs a breather than bring in moats, JJ can move to mlb in some formations.

I want to see a 4-3 vs the pats of DE moats DT Mcullers DT Hargrave RE Tuitt OLB Timmons MLB Williams OLB Harrison