• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Other WR options?

I would not make the trade for Aiyuk. Go with what you got and see how it plays out.
I don’t like giving up premium draft capital especially for an Aiyuk who’s not going to make that much of a difference anyway.
I first want to see how these QBs work out before we go off trading draft picks we may need to draft a QB next year.
We are not an Aiyuk away from being a serious contender.
Yea, I hear you, I feel the same way. We may need a high pick for another shot at QB next year.

he'd look good in black and go.., nevermind

Falcons Release Former Steelers WR​

The former Pittsburgh Steelers wideout is back on the open market.

Noah Strackbein

Dec 9, 2021; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver James Washington (13) celebrates his touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports

Dec 9, 2021; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver James Washington (13) celebrates his touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports / Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports

I'm not for any moves to put lipstick on the pig. It is what it is. No wr move is making this team a legit contender from what I've seen.
I am for any move that strengthen the team. I want the Steelers to win. I get their suspect ability to do it in the playoffs I do. The HC’s shortcomings isn’t lost on me. On top of my list always will be just win.

I am for any move that strengthen the team. I want the Steelers to win. I get their suspect ability to do it in the playoffs I do. The HC’s shortcomings isn’t lost on me. On top of my list always will be just win.
They added a former pro bowl qb, a high draft backup. A prowbowl off ball linebacker, a starting Corner, they invested massive capital in the oline. I'm for any move that strengthens the present without mortgaging the future. Kahn/Weidel have made strong picks and moves. It's time for the coaching staff to do something with it. No quick fix 9 wins. Contend or don't bother.

I hear what you’re saying Slash but at what cost? IMO a second and third in next years draft is too high for an Aiyuk.
My fear is he comes here and yes he helps but they still win 5-6 games. Then come draft time we’re all wishing we had those premium picks especially that high.
I just don’t think this team is an Aiyuk away from winning anything. I think he a good WR but not a top tier one.
As I’ve stated in other posts I have major questions on the OL and QB positions and until that gets solved, I’d have to stay put and not make that trade.

he'd look good in black and go.., nevermind

Falcons Release Former Steelers WR​

The former Pittsburgh Steelers wideout is back on the open market.

Noah Strackbein

Dec 9, 2021; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver James Washington (13) celebrates his touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports

Dec 9, 2021; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver James Washington (13) celebrates his touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports / Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports

SUPER BOWL

Salute the nation

They added a former pro bowl qb, a high draft backup. A prowbowl off ball linebacker, a starting Corner, they invested massive capital in the oline. I'm for any move that strengthens the present without mortgaging the future. Kahn/Weidel have made strong picks and moves. It's time for the coaching staff to do something with it. No quick fix 9 wins. Contend or don't bother.

This is pretty much where I am at. Tomlin has had some very talented teams and yet…….. crickets.

We both know the coaching is what it is and may have taken us as far as we will ever go.

Our best hope is the new blood coming up in ownership, Dan Rooney, Art2 son.

Salute the nation

I hear what you’re saying Slash but at what cost? IMO a second and third in next years draft is too high for an Aiyuk.
My fear is he comes here and yes he helps but they still win 5-6 games. Then come draft time we’re all wishing we had those premium picks especially that high.
I just don’t think this team is an Aiyuk away from winning anything. I think he a good WR but not a top tier one.
As I’ve stated in other posts I have major questions on the OL and QB positions and until that gets solved, I’d have to stay put and not make that trade.
Hard to get talent without paying for it. So sure there will be cost. Minkah cost a first not giving up a first for a guy with BA’s talent is still pretty good in my eyes . If they only win 5 or 6 names less excuses for the HC with Rooney wanting more…a decent amount more. The Oline issue is mainly due to mismanagement so that still has an ability to be fixed. You help your QBs with a playmaker addition what better to evaluate them for the future as well. Less excuses for them as well. So you add talent and in the process give your team a playmaker that should in theory help with the ability to win. If it doesn’t come about Ricky you have some splainin to do.

A WR is just part of that contending puzzle. They never replaced DJ. Do you want this team to be able to say but but we were handcuffed with less talent at a position? Does a second and a third with the cap space ballooning for the Steelers mortgage their future? A team that knows how to manage the cap and draft well? I am not so sure it results in that. Plus I haven’t heard a third was a locked in price. They could always space that third to the following year. Perhaps no quick fix but I damn sure would be pretty happy with a playoff win or two. That would ease not seeing just that in a while.

A WR is just part of that contending puzzle. They never replaced DJ. Do you want this team to be able to say but but we were handcuffed with less talent at a position? Does a second and a third with the cap space ballooning for the Steelers mortgage their future? A team that knows how to manage the cap and draft well? I am not so sure it results in that. Plus I haven’t heard a third was a locked in price. They could always space that third to the following year. Perhaps no quick fix but I damn sure would be pretty happy with a playoff win or two. That would ease not seeing just that in a while.
The cap space is fools gold. They are not managing the cap well. They just aren't paying a qb. They are paying a worn out vet 22 million this year. That is not good cap management. If they actually win a playoff game which looks highly unlikely to me trade or not they will either pay one of the qbs on the roster 40-50 million next year or be back at square one. Plus Watt's contract is coming to end.

The cap space is fools gold. They are not managing the cap well. They just aren't paying a qb. They are paying a worn out vet 22 million this year. That is not good cap management. If they actually win a playoff game which looks highly unlikely to me trade or not they will either pay one of the qbs on the roster 40-50 million next year or be back at square one. Plus Watt's contract is coming to end.
They for the most part have managed the cap well does your opinion on one contract really change that? Not so sure I agree here. They also don’t get penalized for getting two QBs on friendly deals. QB play will dictate next years approach.

The cap isn’t fools gold if you have space it is fools gold if you don’t do the right things with said space.

Watt really doesn’t factor in IMO they will revisit his contract when it is time.

we're not paying Russ ****.

$1.2 mil for the potential to be a starting QB. $3.2 for his competition in Fields. Less than $5 mil in our top 2 QBs.
To me, outside looking in, that's damn good cap management. Then next year we have a boon in cap allowance with 41 players already signed and $89 mil to play with.

$1.2 mil for the potential to be a starting QB. $3.2 for his competition in Fields. Less than $5 mil in our top 2 QBs.
To me, outside looking in, that's damn good cap management. Then next year we have a boon in cap allowance with 41 players already signed and $89 mil to play with.
Exactly! Khan is known league wide as being a guru with cap management and none of us can even comprehend what his strategy is in the short, mid, and long term for this team is. To question his abilities based on his handling with just one specific player is mind blowing (sorry Sask). I would love a show that follows NFL GM's around to show how they handle the draft, free agency, etc. Hard Knocks is as close to that as you can get and the way the Giants handled Saquon was ludicrous!

And if they sign one of those qb Russ or Fields 50 million of the 89 is gone. If they don't they don't have a qb. Plus TJ is coming to end of his contract.
Having your first round QB bust so you don't have to pay him and grabbing two QB on show me contracts for one year doesn't make good cap management.

Boom, slick slack, crack back. It is what it is. Truth.

And if they sign one of those qb Russ or Fields 50 million of the 89 is gone. If they don't they don't have a qb. Plus TJ is coming to end of his contract.
Having your first round QB bust so you don't have to pay him and grabbing two QB on show me contracts for one year doesn't make good cap management.
TJ is also getting to that age where the drop off begins. He's signed for two more seasons and then he'll be 32. Obviously we'll give him another contract, but to expect it to make him a league topper is probably not in the cards.

having your 1st round QB bust isnt on the cap. There's more factors that play into that. (talent evaluation, offense, maturity, cognition, ability, etc). Additionally, consider that had Pickett not busted, he'd also be a free agent when TJ's contract is due. At least with Fields (hopefully) and Russ, we can have a year of salary cap increase if we sign one in the next off-season before we have to handle TJ and Pickens. It's not the rosiest situation, but imagine having to do TJ, Pickens and Pickett (had he not busted) all in the same off-season.

The Steelers future cap situation is amongst the very best in the NFL next year and beyond, as I understand it.
Having guys like TJ, Pickens, Minkah......and even paying Cam "too much" are the types of problems that teams aspire to have when adding players via draft/trade/FA.
I really do not understand any bitching about future cap space.

Kenny, bad pick, present trade potential for Aiyuk, messy/non-Steeler-like publicity, hope for QB this year, not normal from the last generation (thanks Ben)....grateful that Canaduh and Kenny are gone, additions to OL should bear fruit, etc.

TJ is also getting to that age where the drop off begins. He's signed for two more seasons and then he'll be 32. Obviously we'll give him another contract, but to expect it to make him a league topper is probably not in the cards.

having your 1st round QB bust isnt on the cap. There's more factors that play into that. (talent evaluation, offense, maturity, cognition, ability, etc). Additionally, consider that had Pickett not busted, he'd also be a free agent when TJ's contract is due. At least with Fields (hopefully) and Russ, we can have a year of salary cap increase if we sign one in the next off-season before we have to handle TJ and Pickens. It's not the rosiest situation, but imagine having to do TJ, Pickens and Pickett (had he not busted) all in the same off-season.
They won't let Watt get to last year. He gets paid next year. So it will be Watt one of the qs on the roster currently for 50 plus you guys sound like you want to add Aiyuk for 30. 50 and 30 is 80 million right there. I'm just saying live with tge choices you made. Don't try to massage another ground hog day Wild Card exit. Frankly I rather they suck.

So let me say if I were a betting man, id say after the first few weeks of the Season, they add Devante Adams... i dont think the raiders are good, and their qbs will be worse than ours... Adams went there to play with a QB they unceremoniously ditched. He will want out.. he is 31... his cost will not be that high.. im guessing he gets dealt before the deadline

Hard to get talent without paying for it. So sure there will be cost. Minkah cost a first not giving up a first for a guy with BA’s talent is still pretty good in my eyes . If they only win 5 or 6 names less excuses for the HC with Rooney wanting more…a decent amount more. The Oline issue is mainly due to mismanagement so that still has an ability to be fixed. You help your QBs with a playmaker addition what better to evaluate them for the future as well. Less excuses for them as well. So you add talent and in the process give your team a playmaker that should in theory help with the ability to win. If it doesn’t come about Ricky you have some splainin to do.
Always respect your opinions but I guess we’re just going to have to agree to disagree here.
I just don’t think Aiyuk is worth a second and a third round pick and 28 million per season.
Too many question marks for me about this team.

They won't let Watt get to last year. He gets paid next year. So it will be Watt one of the qs on the roster currently for 50 plus you guys sound like you want to add Aiyuk for 30. 50 and 30 is 80 million right there. I'm just saying live with tge choices you made. Don't try to massage another ground hog day Wild Card exit. Frankly I rather they suck.
aiyuk wouldn't cost 30M in cap space next year anyway. There's a reason they have signing bonuses and ways to spread the deal, they could make it heavily fronted in the 1st year given the cap space and then lower