• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Other WR options?

This is pretty much where I am at. Tomlin has had some very talented teams and yet…….. crickets.

We both know the coaching is what it is and may have taken us as far as we will ever go.

Our best hope is the new blood coming up in ownership, Dan Rooney, Art2 son.

Salute the nation
The pinpoint truth from 30,000 feet.

So let me say if I were a betting man, id say after the first few weeks of the Season, they add Devante Adams... i dont think the raiders are good, and their qbs will be worse than ours... Adams went there to play with a QB they unceremoniously ditched. He will want out.. he is 31... his cost will not be that high.. im guessing he gets dealt before the deadline
What makes you think he's gonna want to play here in this Tomlinized, sh-- for brains, collapsed joke of our offense? I don't see it.

Every time I watched San Fran the last two seasons Ive thought,who the heck is this Aiyuk guy. I think he is very talented on a team full of talent. I would love to have him. That ship might have sailed. But the question remains…..would you give up high draft choices. With the miss on the Kenny pick,Kahn was forced to do something quick……and full credit to getting those two QB’s this season for obviously a cheap two contracts.

Personally I think both will flame out and not be our QB’s of the future. I worry that they will sign Fields with hardly playing him to see what we have. In one way,I wish Fields would start this whole season so we could see exactly what we have. I fully believe that Russ will not be the answer. And I hope there is someone truly evaluating,because I know the excuses will come full circle if things don’t workout. I can hear them already.

So,if I go along with my thinking,we will need a QB for the future and for me that’s hitting on one in the draft. Which might mean packaging draft picks to move up. And there lies my problem. If we have traded our picks for Aiyuk our options are then limited.
For me,I need to see our QB situation answered before any big trade ,high priced WR comes in. And with any luck at all,get a QB with our first pick and a stud WR with our second pick.
Of course we could always go for Dak next free agency. If we got an extra 65 million. 🙂

TJ is also getting to that age where the drop off begins. He's signed for two more seasons and then he'll be 32. Obviously we'll give him another contract, but to expect it to make him a league topper is probably not in the cards.

having your 1st round QB bust isnt on the cap. There's more factors that play into that. (talent evaluation, offense, maturity, cognition, ability, etc). Additionally, consider that had Pickett not busted, he'd also be a free agent when TJ's contract is due. At least with Fields (hopefully) and Russ, we can have a year of salary cap increase if we sign one in the next off-season before we have to handle TJ and Pickens. It's not the rosiest situation, but imagine having to do TJ, Pickens and Pickett (had he not busted) all in the same off-season.
Really sad but unless they hit it big on the next QB it's looking more and more like Prime TJ may not get a playoff win(s) here under "the only coach he wants to play for."

What makes you think he's gonna want to play here in this Tomlinized, sh-- for brains, collapsed joke of our offense? I don't see it.
I’ve said this for years now. Ever since the philosophy started to change into safer,quick hitting short yardage implementation because of Ben’s arm surgery and then decline and let’s face it QB play since then. Along with Oline,OC.
You don’t come here as a WR to flourish. You’d either have to be on a prove it one year type of deal to resurrect your career,or get thrown boatloads of overpaid money,or be drafted to play here……seriously,if I was a WR I would chose a different team. Until our QB position is solidified.

I’ve said this for years now. Ever since the philosophy started to change into safer,quick hitting short yardage implementation because of Ben’s arm surgery and then decline and let’s face it QB play since then. Along with Oline,OC.
You don’t come here as a WR to flourish. You’d either have to be on a prove it one year type of deal to resurrect your career,or get thrown boatloads of overpaid money,or be drafted to play here……seriously,if I was a WR I would chose a different team. Until our QB position is solidified.

A. The offense went dink and dunk before Bens arm surgery... nobody noticed because he got hurt so early in 19... then they blamed the O on Rudolph and Hodges..

Bens lack of arm strength after coming back was basically more a narrative than reality. He was still throwing over 50 mph... which is sufficient for a qb... he couldnt do that .18 second 60 mph throw anymore, but few ever can...

The offense tried to mimic the Pats dink and dunk... it was outdated by the time they did...

B. I this Russell Wilsons rep is better among players than the Press... they were mad at him because he revolted against Carrol... and Payton just needed a scapegoat... remember... it was a financial decision to cut him in Denver... if he would have waived the injury clause that kicked in at the start of this year,(guaranteeing him another 40 million dollars, even if hurt) hed still be Starting in Denver... after he refused, thats when all the negative **** started being said about him... up till then he was still the short term future...

Payton wanted his own guy and knew cutting Wilson gave him a couple grace period years to find the guy...

I know Smith did come here, but you could say just about the same thing for any aspiring HC from the coordinator ranks. Proof has been in the pudding Tomlin has no tree.

No, I wouldn't even consider playing here with a new QB, it would take a new HC, seriously. We've seen what a new, non-Ben QB can do under Tomlin, and it ain't pretty.

A. The offense went dink and dunk before Bens arm surgery... nobody noticed because he got hurt so early in 19... then they blamed the O on Rudolph and Hodges..

Bens lack of arm strength after coming back was basically more a narrative than reality. He was still throwing over 50 mph... which is sufficient for a qb... he couldnt do that .18 second 60 mph throw anymore, but few ever can...

The offense tried to mimic the Pats dink and dunk... it was outdated by the time they did...

B. I this Russell Wilsons rep is better among players than the Press... they were mad at him because he revolted against Carrol... and Payton just needed a scapegoat... remember... it was a financial decision to cut him in Denver... if he would have waived the injury clause that kicked in at the start of this year,(guaranteeing him another 40 million dollars, even if hurt) hed still be Starting in Denver... after he refused, thats when all the negative **** started being said about him... up till then he was still the short term future...

Payton wanted his own guy and knew cutting Wilson gave him a couple grace period years to find the guy...
A…..Ben got hurt In 2019. The brutal first game loss of 33-3 against the Pats then taken out in the Seahawks game.

So….in 2018 Ben threw for 5129 yards. With 34 TD’s. Averaged 325 passing yards a game.
So…if as you say they went dink and dunk before Ben’s surgery the above stats say….. hey not bad! Quite the dink and dunk!
By the way….James Conner had 973 yards on the ground with 12 TD’s that year. The defense let us down time and time again.
The big one was also Ben’s interceptions. 16 of them,and many at crucial times. I firmly believe that Tomlin started his let’s play safer with the ball after this season and a lot of it had to do with Ben’s interceptions. Many of which happened in crucial playoff games.

When you say Ben’s lack of arm strength….narrative vs reality..
First of all I never said anything about arm strength. But if you want to go there…..it was more his accuracy and consistency that was the problem in those years. Along with age catching up to his scrambling abilities.

B. Your Russel Wilson comments I really don’t give a whooie about to be honest. And has nothing to do with what I said.
What I based my comments on were on the field action. We get tons of Seattle games here in Vancouver,I’ve watched his whole career. Statistics don’t mean everything and Russ is a huge example. Grumbling started the last year and a half with his play on the field. His last season with Seattle,stat’s were not bad,but if you actually watched the games he was definitely on the decline. And then Seattle got a ridiculous trade offer that they rightly took. 2-first rounders. 2- second rounders. 2-fifth rounders. Noah Fant,DrewLock,Shelby Harris.

And then he played like absolute **** on the field And yes,could have used a better supporting cast around him. But certainly not the Superstar. His stats in the second season were much better……his actual play on the field was average at best. This is from games I watch. Not read about. His amount of sacks given up are going to drive us nuts. And hey…I could and hope I’m wrong about him. I’d be the first to admit it.

Always respect your opinions but I guess we’re just going to have to agree to disagree here.
I just don’t think Aiyuk is worth a second and a third round pick and 28 million per season.
Too many question marks for me about this team.
We can agree to disagree sure. My question for you now is this.. if they have an opportunity but decline it do to the reasons you give. If the WRs handcuff the offense and the results are substandard would you blame someone outside of the WRs?

We can agree to disagree sure. My question for you now is this.. if they have an opportunity but decline it do to the reasons you give. If the WRs handcuff the offense and the results are substandard would you blame someone outside of the WRs?
Slash I think it would be multiple things that could handcuff this offense.
If Van Jefferson doesn’t prove to be a reliable number two then sure we can point back to not trading for Aiyuk.
I think though there will be others factors that contribute to the failure of the offense.
First and probably most importantly the OL. I’m really concerned that this coaching staff doesn’t seem to be able to develop OL.
Too many question marks here for me on this OL to make this trade.
Then we have our two QBs that I’m just not sold on.
To me they both hold on to the ball too long and both take too many damn sacks. Can they even get the ball to Aiyuk down field?
I simply don’t think the team is an Aiyuk away from being serious contenders.
Does he make the difference between say going 7-10 or 9-8? Perhaps but 9-8 does nothing for me and it once again keeps us stuck in the middle and prolongs this ridiculous non losing streak of Tomlin’s.
I’d just rather keep those picks and keep adding through the draft. I have a feeling Slash we are going to be needing those picks come draft time.

The lease is still there, Rent Free.

No, I wouldn't even consider playing here with a new QB, it would take a new HC, seriously. We've seen what a new, non-Ben QB can do under Tomlin, and it ain't pretty.
Rent Free….your mobile home in JAX must be huge.

Every time I watched San Fran the last two seasons Ive thought,who the heck is this Aiyuk guy. I think he is very talented on a team full of talent. I would love to have him. That ship might have sailed. But the question remains…..would you give up high draft choices. With the miss on the Kenny pick,Kahn was forced to do something quick……and full credit to getting those two QB’s this season for obviously a cheap two contracts.

Personally I think both will flame out and not be our QB’s of the future. I worry that they will sign Fields with hardly playing him to see what we have. In one way,I wish Fields would start this whole season so we could see exactly what we have. I fully believe that Russ will not be the answer. And I hope there is someone truly evaluating,because I know the excuses will come full circle if things don’t workout. I can hear them already.

So,if I go along with my thinking,we will need a QB for the future and for me that’s hitting on one in the draft. Which might mean packaging draft picks to move up. And there lies my problem. If we have traded our picks for Aiyuk our options are then limited.
For me,I need to see our QB situation answered before any big trade ,high priced WR comes in. And with any luck at all,get a QB with our first pick and a stud WR with our second pick.
Of course we could always go for Dak next free agency. If we got an extra 65 million. 🙂
It's too early to even broach this subject, but anyhow...it could easily turn out that we are drafting both a QB and WR early next year (at a time when we desperately need picks used on the DL). And, we may need one of our current Bs signed for depth. I don't expect much from Fields. You don't go through 3 years of playing in the NFL with his problems if you are gonna turn out in the NFL.

I was hoping it wouldn't get to this but it's looking like Roman may be headed to IR to start the season which means he won't do anything for us this year. If this is the case, I can see Tomlin just putting him on IR for the season as he's done in the past. Roman missed too much practice to think he can come in after IR and contribute. So, making a trade may definitely be in the picture now.

I was hoping it wouldn't get to this but it's looking like Roman may be headed to IR to start the season which means he won't do anything for us this year. If this is the case, I can see Tomlin just putting him on IR for the season as he's done in the past. Roman missed too much practice to think he can come in after IR and contribute. So, making a trade may definitely be in the picture now.
Why do you think that? He just said he would be back soon?

Why do you think that? He just said he would be back soon?
I think it was one of the PG writers who said it looks like he will start the season on IR. He hasn't practiced. He's a rookie who desperately needs the practice. Tomlin has done this before where he put someone on IR that we were all anticipating them to come back and play. I said this when Roman got hurt. I hope he's the exception, not the rule. We need a true No. 2 WR. We have GP and then a bunch of WR3 and 4's. If GP gets banged up, think about our WR's remaining. It's a scary thought right now.

I think it was one of the PG writers who said it looks like he will start the season on IR. He hasn't practiced. He's a rookie who desperately needs the practice. Tomlin has done this before where he put someone on IR that we were all anticipating them to come back and play. I said this when Roman got hurt. I hope he's the exception, not the rule. We need a true No. 2 WR. We have GP and then a bunch of WR3 and 4's. If GP gets banged up, think about our WR's remaining. It's a scary thought right now.
Thing is that room is light extremely light. So if they end his season for an injury that should be close to healed on a unit that is deficient in talent I would hope someone’s head would roll. I think if he is on anything it is the short term IR if that.

I might consider coming out of retirement and be #2 WR. They can pay me in peppered bacon

I think they threw out the flier on BA, in hopes of getting him but not overly concerned if they don’t. You also have to consider GP in all this too. If your intentions are to sign GP to a 2nd contract, signing BA could very well make that untenable. 2-WR1’s never seem to work on the team in today’s NFL. At best you buy that future WR1 and will still be looking for a #2 going forward. I don’t see GP playing out his contract without the believing he has been disrespected and having to deal with the attitude we have seen in the past.

There will be a few WR available in the next few days, I think they are watching for 1-2 of those.

It's made scarier by the fact that it's a Shades' team. Other when he inherited Ben, what's he ever put together in the passing game? Many of us knew this was coming without Ben and here it is: Tomlin without Ben making miracles in the 4th quarter is a sunk ship. His overly-conservative, "pee-your-pants" offense is just too weak to compete. A much better WR unit wouldn't really help that much.

It's made scarier by the fact that it's a Shades' team. Other when he inherited Ben, what's he ever put together in the passing game? Many of us knew this was coming without Ben and here it is: Tomlin without Ben making miracles in the 4th quarter is a sunk ship. His overly-conservative, "pee-your-pants" offense is just too weak to compete. A much better WR unit wouldn't really help that much.
He drafted AB.he went crazy but was the best WR in football for years