• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Our Young O-line

What did Herbig do last year to garnish a vote of confidence?
I am not judging Herb on one preseason game but an overall body of work
New position for him in the NFL. Played C a bit in college. Ranked #12 as center going into his draft year. Who knows maybe there is something there. Am I going to write him off after 1 preseason game as a C? No,I’m not. And who is to say getting someone off waivers or a cut/ trade would be any better at this time? Obviously other teams castoffs. Mason Cole still available? No thanks.

New position for him in the NFL. Played C a bit in college. Ranked #12 as center going into his draft year. Who knows maybe there is something there. Am I going to write him off after 1 preseason game as a C? No,I’m not. And who is to say getting someone off waivers or a cut/ trade would be any better at this time? Obviously other teams castoffs. Mason Cole still available? No thanks.
There is one C still rehabbing that if healthy would be a solid pickup. I don’t know who will be available but I would prefer a vet C. I have actually preferred a Cole upgrade for sometime. I don’t think Herbig will be that. So who will be available, I would leave that to a GM. But if a capable C did become available I would welcome the addition.

I think there is a good chance Cole goes to Cleveland who has been decimated on the C injury bug.

Salute the nation

start Frazier at C.

if we have to rely on Herbig at C, then you just put the QB in at C and do the 3-second no pass rush thing in the backyard. you know, to prevent a turnover.

Trade Daniels for a vet C + picks. Move Herbig to RG and you still have Anderson and McCormick waiting in the wings

Trade Daniels for a vet C + picks. Move Herbig to RG and you still have Anderson and McCormick waiting in the wings
or package Daniels, Moore and a 4th to the 9ers for Aiyuk.

I am not 100% sure the best path. the Rookies are used to playing what 9-12 games a season? it would almost be better to let them start on the sidelines and then wean them into the starting line up.
One thing that sucks about that would be we do not really have a starting center other than 54.
Creed Humphrey was the best center in the NFL after his rookie year. Not saying Frazier will be at that level, but the alterative is a guard masquerading as a center rate now with Herbig. That isn't serious veteran competition for the job.

Very interesting to see Dulac's report at Fautanu will be the starting RT despite the injury. Also said the team believes he's already their second-best lineman. That's high praise given the presence of Seumalo and Daniels. Dulac also said Jones is the favorite for LT. Unless I missed it, nothing about the starting center job.

I could get behind starting a vet C while Frazier acclimates to the next step. This team DOES NOT have a vet C though. Because of that, they really have only two choices. Pick up a C with previous starting reps, or start Frazier and let him learn on the fly. I actually believe trying to convert Herbig to a C, as they tried to do with Green, was the initial plan. A stupid plan, yet again. In my book, I view Frazier, a multi year starting college C, as the better option over trying to move a player to a new position.

I could get behind starting a vet C while Frazier acclimates to the next step. This team DOES NOT have a vet C though. Because of that, they really have only two choices. Pick up a C with previous starting reps, or start Frazier and let him learn on the fly. I actually believe trying to convert Herbig to a C, as they tried to do with Green, was the initial plan. A stupid plan, yet again. In my book, I view Frazier, a multi year starting college C, as the better option over trying to move a player to a new position.
Even if they start Frazier from the get go, they need a backup center. it would be a huge gamble that Fraizer plays every snap this year.

Even if they start Frazier from the get go, they need a backup center. it would be a huge gamble that Fraizer plays every snap this year.
Oh, I agree that you need a b/u C. I have no problem with bringing in an average one if available, or a conversion project. My problem is when you have a multi year starter sitting behind a couple of game fill in replacement conversion project.

I am not 100% sure the best path. the Rookies are used to playing what 9-12 games a season? it would almost be better to let them start on the sidelines and then wean them into the starting line up.
One thing that sucks about that would be we do not really have a starting center other than 54.
Or put the BEST player(s) on the field out of the gate regardless if they are a rookie or a 10 year vet.

Or put the BEST player(s) on the field out of the gate regardless if they are a rookie or a 10 year vet.
I just think if you have a very capable vet it would be smart to let a rookie sit and learn. Problem is we do not have that at c

I just think if you have a very capable vet it would be smart to let a rookie sit and learn. Problem is we do not have that at c
We were ready to go into the season with Herbig as our starter(before Frazier was drafted). He will be our Vet back up.

Question because I don't know. Were the botched snaps because of Herbig or because of Fields or perhaps a combination. What I mean is, does Herbig begin to move left or right before the ball is n Field's hands, causing the fumble, or does Fields begin to pull back too soon before he has the ball. Or, could it be a combination of both. I think the one shot during the game showed that the ball was there. To me it looked like Fields was stepping back on his count and not pausing for the ball, but I'm not a guru of any sort at that kind of thing. Can anyone a lot smarter than me check video to see what was happening? I don't want to crash down on Herbig if Fields was leaving without the ball!

Here's my thoughts.

Jones looked lost at RT and good at LT. Just put him at LT and be done.
McCormick is man strong. He might need a little time to get NFL ready but I feel sooner than later he should be a starter.
Frazier looked natural at center and I don't see why we don't give him every opportunity to start as a rookie.
Spencer Anderson is underrated and imo between him and McCormick makes James Daniels expendable if we needed to sweeten the pot with an Aiyuk trade.
Dylan Cook looks to be a capable backup and spot starter.

I got a feeling Fraizer starts in Atl. And Fautanu sits till an injury occurs or Tomlin gets tea bagged by problems with Moore.
Shades is buddies with Moore, so starting he stays. They've eaten wings together for cripes sake.

Shades is buddies with Moore, so starting he stays. They've eaten wings together for cripes sake.
I bet you'd give a testicle to eat wings with Tomlin