• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Our Young O-line

Question because I don't know. Were the botched snaps because of Herbig or because of Fields or perhaps a combination. What I mean is, does Herbig begin to move left or right before the ball is n Field's hands, causing the fumble, or does Fields begin to pull back too soon before he has the ball. Or, could it be a combination of both. I think the one shot during the game showed that the ball was there. To me it looked like Fields was stepping back on his count and not pausing for the ball, but I'm not a guru of any sort at that kind of thing. Can anyone a lot smarter than me check video to see what was happening? I don't want to crash down on Herbig if Fields was leaving without the ball!
All you need to know is that Fields led the NFL in fumbles by a QB the last 3 years, period.

I bet you that you're wrong. I would turn down the offer.
I was dissapointed to see they gave him the new contract. I think he should move on. That said I'd jump at the chance to just talk football with the guy. I think he is a tremendous leader. His style isn't perfect and doesn't work for everyone but no one's does.

All I really need to know is if I know what you are going to say before you say it. It adds little to the discussion.
Does someone have a gun to your head making you read my posts? I don't get it, easy to fix.

Frazier at center, Jones at LT, Fautanu at RT, Daniels at RG, The Samoan at LG. That is how it should be.
Will there be growing pains? Of course there will but let these young OL assimilate to the speed of the game and they will be fine.
I do worry about these two QBs who take a whole lot of sacks.
Both took over 100 sacks the last two seasons and Fields fumbled 38 times in 38 starts.
That simply cannot happen so at least the easier part of the schedule comes early so those growing pains for the OL need to come early.
I think this OL I outlined can develop into a damn good one but it’s going to take a bit of time.
These two QB whomever plays needs to help out and not hold onto the ball too long, especially Fields who had the worst time last season for holding onto the ball.
I also like the rookie McCormick who I think replaces Daniels next season. That guy is a mauler and will fit in great.

Frazier at center, Jones at LT, Fautanu at RT, Daniels at RG, The Samoan at LG. That is how it should be.
Will there be growing pains? Of course there will but let these young OL assimilate to the speed of the game and they will be fine.
I do worry about these two QBs who take a whole lot of sacks.
Both took over 100 sacks the last two seasons and Fields fumbled 38 times in 38 starts.
That simply cannot happen so at least the easier part of the schedule comes early so those growing pains for the OL need to come early.
I think this OL I outlined can develop into a damn good one but it’s going to take a bit of time.
These two QB whomever plays needs to help out and not hold onto the ball too long, especially Fields who had the worst time last season for holding onto the ball.
I also like the rookie McCormick who I think replaces Daniels next season. That guy is a mauler and will fit in great.
But there is something wrong with our OL coaching. Why, on earth, does the OL take forever to "come together" since Munch has been here? Why do we see guys who cannot stop the suck here go on to perform well otherwise (Dotson). Why do we assume it's gonna take loads of time for our OL to gel? Other teams don't need the amount of time our OL does. Ever since Munch got chased away.

Here's my thoughts.

Jones looked lost at RT and good at LT. Just put him at LT and be done.
McCormick is man strong. He might need a little time to get NFL ready but I feel sooner than later he should be a starter.
Frazier looked natural at center and I don't see why we don't give him every opportunity to start as a rookie.
Spencer Anderson is underrated and imo between him and McCormick makes James Daniels expendable if we needed to sweeten the pot with an Aiyuk trade.
Dylan Cook looks to be a capable backup and spot starter.

I tend to agree. There is absolutely no good that comes from trying to keep jones at RT... he already was raw... let him develop through the bumps at his natural position

McCormick was the guy who was gonna eventually replace Daniels... every year you should add at least one OL guy who is the future, not the now... then you never have to worry about being in the position we were in the last 3 years

I think we ask too much of our centers. I tjink herbig is a normal C type... we need a beast to get by... that being said, Daniels, Herbig, Frazier, and Anderson all can play C and teams usually have a dual guard C as a backup... we are ok there

Frazier should start day 1 ... let the line gel together... there will be bumps early, but the later payoff could be great

Anderson plays all 5 spots well enough that he allegedly was internally considered for starting RT and C before the draft... he is a great get and can slot in at guard, no doubt...

I feel like at least one vet OL is getting traded

I love Cooks potential... he was so Raw , but developing great... he should be the backup T... trade Moore and let the young guys rule

I tend to agree. There is absolutely no good that comes from trying to keep jones at RT... he already was raw... let him develop through the bumps at his natural position

McCormick was the guy who was gonna eventually replace Daniels... every year you should add at least one OL guy who is the future, not the now... then you never have to worry about being in the position we were in the last 3 years

I think we ask too much of our centers. I tjink herbig is a normal C type... we need a beast to get by... that being said, Daniels, Herbig, Frazier, and Anderson all can play C and teams usually have a dual guard C as a backup... we are ok there

Frazier should start day 1 ... let the line gel together... there will be bumps early, but the later payoff could be great

Anderson plays all 5 spots well enough that he allegedly was internally considered for starting RT and C before the draft... he is a great get and can slot in at guard, no doubt...

I love Cooks potential... he was so Raw , but developing great... he should be the backup T... trade Moore and let the young guys rule
All of what you post makes perfect sense, which is why they won't do it. Shades is fixated on starting Moore at LT, no reason to try to figure it out; he must "vibe" with him, because it's sure as sh-- not from his play, that ranks him in the basement of starting LTs each year that get's him the job. 3 going on 4 years, he's the worst starting LT but keeps getting the job. Go figure. But Shades is obsessed with it, just like he was obsessed with Harvin as punter regardless of how poorly he played - until they forced him out to Shades' chagrin.

Frazier, Jones and Troy should be starting week 1; will they? We MUST start Moore for some unknown Tomlin reason. A 4th down draft pick who NEVER has played well. He's at the basement of starting LTs in the NFL for 3 years, why not make it 4, even though we drafted his replacement last year in the 1st round? A 4th rounder plays every year, starting year 1, but a 1st rounder just doesn't cut it by year 2? Yea, it's that Tomlin genius thought process that keeps THE worst OC for 3 straight years. Really solid coaching. The worst punter? Let's keep the overweight dude for 3 years too. Brilliant.

Come on Kahn, you started to right this ship with the termination of Kenny. Don't stop now. Keep it going.

Cook is versatile, Moore isn't, do the Steelers look to trade Moore and lock in Jones at LT? I would anticipate they'd get at least a decent pick for starting LT.
Viable younger Olinemen, even bottom end starters, are in high demand because the insane size/ skill combo you need these days is rare, and fewer people are trying to play at bulked up weights these days... its why guys like Green had trade value

Cook is versatile, Moore isn't, do the Steelers look to trade Moore and lock in Jones at LT? I would anticipate they'd get at least a decent pick for starting LT.
I would trade Moore for a RT in a heartbeat. Fautanu looked lost last week. It’s early but he looks like he needs a lot of work. Maybe first action jitters so hopefully he performs better vs Buffalo.

And yes Jones needs to just stay at LT. He looks natural there and I’m willing to take a few growing pain bumps to get him up to his potential sooner than later.

The offensive line coach is just horrible he was horrible with the chargers he was horrible with Carolina he has been horrible here. Makes no sense to use all these draft picks on players but not hire a great coach to coach them up. We used 1st rd picks on decastro and pauncey and hired Mike munchek to coached them up… both were pro bowlers under munch. Fact is Dotson, green, chuk, and moore under munch could have done the same. They had great size just lacked technique and consistency. Now We’ve had to use more 1st and 2nd rd picks on linemen instead of skilled players! You won’t win championships doing that.

The offensive line coach is just horrible he was horrible with the chargers he was horrible with Carolina he has been horrible here. Makes no sense to use all these draft picks on players but not hire a great coach to coach them up. We used 1st rd picks on decastro and pauncey and hired Mike munchek to coached them up… both were pro bowlers under munch. Fact is Dotson, green, chuk, and moore under munch could have done the same. They had great size just lacked technique and consistency. Now We’ve had to use more 1st and 2nd rd picks on linemen instead of skilled players! You won’t win championships doing that.
Right, you win championships with a great QB and unless one of those is available you have to draft something early on. Premium positions are the next best bet...OT, WR, EDGE, IDL (that can rush the QB), CB

We are ridiculously deep at interior line. Think about Ben’s last year to now. Crazy how much things can change in a couple of seasons.

I honestly think the one true way to get a deal done for Aiyuk is a multi team trade.

We are ridiculously deep at interior line. Think about Ben’s last year to now. Crazy how much things can change in a couple of seasons.

I've been advocating new OL coach for a while now. I can't figure out how Tomlin can't see this weakness. Is it because no one wants to come here and be an assistant coach ?

Salute the nation

I've been advocating new OL coach for a while now. I can't figure out how Tomlin can't see this weakness. Is it because no one wants to come here and be an assistant coach ?

Salute the nation
I dunno Smith came in as a OC. I just don’t think they bothered to upgrade. He has the pieces in place for a solid Oline so if they aren’t no excuses …

I was dissapointed to see they gave him the new contract. I think he should move on. That said I'd jump at the chance to just talk football with the guy. I think he is a tremendous leader. His style isn't perfect and doesn't work for everyone but no one's does.
Andy Reid's certainly seems to. Watch Harbaugh in LA too.

Andy Reid's certainly seems to. Watch Harbaugh in LA too.
Oh that's bullshit. I've been around coaching and leadership most my adult life. No one's works for everyone. **** Andy Reid's son is a complete **** up. Killed a kid driving all boozed or drugged up. And yes Harbaugh leads by example. Cheating.

Oh that's bullshit. I've been around coaching and leadership most my adult life. No one's works for everyone. **** Andy Reid's son is a complete **** up. Killed a kid driving all boozed or drugged up. And yes Harbaugh leads by example. Cheating.

Definitely a true post, thank you SIR.

Salute the nation

I dunno Smith came in as a OC. I just don’t think they bothered to upgrade. He has the pieces in place for a solid Oline so if they aren’t no excuses …

It’s the musical chairs and low end Developement, that concerns me. OL coach is directly involved with both those aspects. I do realize that HC and OC has influence on those two aspects as well, but that is a big weakness associated with this OL for several years now.

Salute the nation

What's his son's actions have to do with Andy's coaching? Not a damn thing, suck it up buttercup. Soak it in, ah, ah, ah, boom shalackalacka. All Harbaugh does is win baby, win. Something we haven't done in the playoffs in 7 years. 7 frickn' years. Sho nothin'. Boom shalackalacka. Hear 'dem squeal.

What's his son's actions have to do with Andy's coaching? Not a damn thing, suck it up buttercup. Soak it in, ah, ah, ah, boom shalackalacka. All Harbaugh does is win baby, win. Something we haven't done in the playoffs in 7 years. 7 frickn' years. Sho nothin'. Boom shalackalacka. Hear 'dem squeal.
Genius