• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Over half of all tax $ goes to.....

• Thread starter Thread starter POP
  • Start date Start date
....bull ****.

http://www.blacklistednews.com/Over...e_Sam_is_Spent_on_This/51579/0/38/38/Y/M.html

This country has been hijacked. The spending on military is completely out of control and we can't afford it nor do we need it.

USA is toast.

We are lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQiELpyBIrM

Uhhh ... except that the numbers in that article are demonstrably false. This is a chart showing Federal spending, based on figures from the CBO:

total_spending_pie,__2015_enacted.png

Medicare and Social Security consume 61% of Federal spending.

Where is all the welfare spending? Is that in the 2% for housing and community?

man we should elect a Washington outsider or something

Where is all the welfare spending? Is that in the 2% for housing and community?

Welfare is generally run by the states, and financed in large part by the states. But yes, the $61.5 billion in "housing and community" would be the welfare portion of the Federal budget.

Let me repeat that $61.5 BILLION DOLLARS.

Welfare is generally run by the states, and financed in large part by the states. But yes, the $61.5 billion in "housing and community" would be the welfare portion of the Federal budget.

< whiny nasal liberal voice >

but, Steeltime, that's not even half of what we are spending on food and agriculture. if i want something to eat, it should be free based on this chart. gimme my free food.

< / whiny nasal liberal voice >

Probably, some of the Food and Agriculture, too.

We spend $50 billion on "International Affairs" and people wonder why we can't finance an $11 billion wall along Mexico?

What the **** is "International Affairs" other than paying for our embassies? Oh yeah... I guess that $40 million/year we send to Mexico for help in their "Drug War" (which they are blatantly failing at) might be better spent on a wall. At least that's my opinion.

Probably, some of the Food and Agriculture, too.

I think you are correct. The article posted by OFTB notes in part, "Food and agriculture quadruples from 1 percent to 4 percent due to the inclusion of food stamps, a mandatory program, and agricultural income and price supports."

man we should elect a Washington outsider or something

Show me the Washington outsider that has talked about cutting Medicare and Social Security.

I know Kasich mentioned it and was met with much disbelief and criticism.

Part of the Food and Agriculture is to pay Corporate farmers not to grow crops on their land.

That chart is missing tons of stuff.

The purposely make it that way.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/02/the-real-defense-budget/253327/

Get informed. It's a good thing to know the truth and not just buy into the lies.

Our govt. lies its *** off every single day. Wake up.

The article includes Homeland Security, veteran's benefits, international affairs, and interest on the debt as being part of the "defense" budget.

The chart I posted specifically lists that spending, though it properly differentiates such spending from the "defense" budget.

So you may wish to heed your own advice and wake up.

Uhhh ... except that the numbers in that article are demonstrably false. This is a chart showing Federal spending, based on figures from the CBO:

total_spending_pie,__2015_enacted.png

Medicare and Social Security consume 61% of Federal spending.

If I was really going to try and correct federal spending I would propose the following:

Phase in changes to the age people are eligible for both SS and Medicare. Currently everyone born after 1960 has a retirement age of 67. I would propose that people born after 1975 have a new retirement age of 69.

Similarly the current age Medicare kicks in is 65. I would phase in an increase in age as follows:

Born 1970+ = age 66
Born 1980+ = age 67
Born 1990+ = age 68

Those two changes alone would help forecast solvency for both programs over the long term.

In the short term, it would be difficult to make immediate cuts to either program (although finding waste spending and cheats/abuse might save 1-2% but would cost 1-2% to "find and fix").

So that leaves how we slow down spending on the other 40% ($1,472.5 Billion).

1. Make a directive that yearly increases in the budget are HALF the federal tax increase realized the year before. If tax revenue goes up 4% between 2015 and 2016, this portion of the budget can only go up 2% for example.

2. Then I would start making cuts:

Defense - Cut to $600B (Save $9.3B)
Interest - Nothing
Veteran's Benefits - No Cuts but this pieces needs looked at HARD by someone to clean up problems. And I might consider getting rid of all VA healthcare completely and just giving all veterans Medicare if that's cheaper.
Food & Agriculture - Cut to $125B (save 10.7B) - federal government is too involved with food production subsidies and price fixing
Education - Cut to $100B (save 2.3B) - again, this is a State issue. States should be increasing taxes to cover education if it's not good enough or fix their own problems.
Transportation/Infrastructure - Increase to $100B (add $15B)
Housing & Community - Cut to $50B (save $11.5B) - No idea what the **** this is other than HUD and low-income housing grants. Let the market dictate prices. Housing is cheap right now anyhow.
International Affairs - Cut to $25B (save 25.2B)- We can't afford whatever we are sending all around the world when we are borrowing $500B a year.
Energy and Environment - Cut to $40B (save 4.8B) - I think a lot of this is subsidies to alternate energy and tax credits which I would get rid of now.
Science - Raise to $30B (add 0.2B)) - really no change, just rounding up

NET RESULT = Cut federal spending immediately by $48.6B dollars. Every year moving forward federal growth would be cut for a while.

Hopefully tax revenue rises with economic growth (no new taxes, I would fix the tax code to try and remain close to where we are now - total income around $3.25 trillion).

Show me the Washington outsider that has talked about cutting Medicare and Social Security.

I know Kasich mentioned it and was met with much disbelief and criticism.

double_facepalm.jpg

The article includes Homeland Security, veteran's benefits, international affairs, and interest on the debt as being part of the "defense" budget.

The chart I posted specifically lists that spending, though it properly differentiates such spending from the "defense" budget.

So you may wish to heed your own advice and wake up.

I love how you just buy govt. stats are face value without thinking. They love that people like you exist.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/2/1/1184033/-The-uncalculated-unreported-real-defense-budget

Why should we spend more than all these other countries combined? Huge pile of horse ****.

If I was really going to try and correct federal spending I would propose the following:

Phase in changes to the age people are eligible for both SS and Medicare. Currently everyone born after 1960 has a retirement age of 67. I would propose that people born after 1975 have a new retirement age of 69.

Similarly the current age Medicare kicks in is 65. I would phase in an increase in age as follows:

Born 1970+ = age 66
Born 1980+ = age 67
Born 1990+ = age 68

Those two changes alone would help forecast solvency for both programs over the long term.

In the short term, it would be difficult to make immediate cuts to either program (although finding waste spending and cheats/abuse might save 1-2% but would cost 1-2% to "find and fix").

So that leaves how we slow down spending on the other 40% ($1,472.5 Billion).

1. Make a directive that yearly increases in the budget are HALF the federal tax increase realized the year before. If tax revenue goes up 4% between 2015 and 2016, this portion of the budget can only go up 2% for example.

2. Then I would start making cuts:

Defense - Cut to $600B (Save $9.3B)
Interest - Nothing
Veteran's Benefits - No Cuts but this pieces needs looked at HARD by someone to clean up problems. And I might consider getting rid of all VA healthcare completely and just giving all veterans Medicare if that's cheaper.
Food & Agriculture - Cut to $125B (save 10.7B) - federal government is too involved with food production subsidies and price fixing
Education - Cut to $100B (save 2.3B) - again, this is a State issue. States should be increasing taxes to cover education if it's not good enough or fix their own problems.
Transportation/Infrastructure - Increase to $100B (add $15B)
Housing & Community - Cut to $50B (save $11.5B) - No idea what the **** this is other than HUD and low-income housing grants. Let the market dictate prices. Housing is cheap right now anyhow.
International Affairs - Cut to $25B (save 25.2B)- We can't afford whatever we are sending all around the world when we are borrowing $500B a year.
Energy and Environment - Cut to $40B (save 4.8B) - I think a lot of this is subsidies to alternate energy and tax credits which I would get rid of now.
Science - Raise to $30B (add 0.2B)) - really no change, just rounding up

NET RESULT = Cut federal spending immediately by $48.6B dollars. Every year moving forward federal growth would be cut for a while.

Hopefully tax revenue rises with economic growth (no new taxes, I would fix the tax code to try and remain close to where we are now - total income around $3.25 trillion).

I'd cut Education to $0 or very, very near it, as part of the Federal Budget and let states deal with it. There wouldn't be any net loss in overall tax revenue as I would give the states leeway to raise their own taxes. "1 year from now, the Federal government is out of the Education business" find a state solution to your education issues. No more federal government money and no more strings attached. If you don't educate your people, your state will fail.

Probably cut more to Food and Agriculture, too.

I love how you just buy govt. stats are face value without thinking. They love that people like you exist.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/2/1/1184033/-The-uncalculated-unreported-real-defense-budget

Why should we spend more than all these other countries combined? Huge pile of horse ****.

The spending numbers come from the agency that knows where and how Congress spends money, the Congressional Budget Office. These are actual numbers, not projections. You are free to argue the merits of spending "x" on defense, but you lose all credibility when you refer to a chart that ignores 61% of all Federal spending, and then lumps Homeland Security, Veteran's benefits, interest and international affairs under "defense spending."

I'd cut Education to $0 or very, very near it, as part of the Federal Budget and let states deal with it. There wouldn't be any net loss in overall tax revenue as I would give the states leeway to raise their own taxes. "1 year from now, the Federal government is out of the Education business" find a state solution to your education issues. No more federal government money and no more strings attached. If you don't educate your people, your state will fail.

Probably cut more to Food and Agriculture, too.

Education is such a complex issue. I am obviously in favor of busting all public-sector unions and maybe that is a step towards better cost efficiency in our educations.

The federal spending on education is actually a pretty small percentage of overall education spending. If you look at that website I just linked, TOTAL spending by all levels of government in this country on education is $1 TRILLION

That is divided into Pre-K through 12th grade ($650 billion) vs. college/tertiary ($300 billion) and then $50 billion of "other".

Of all this $1 trillion in spending the federal government is responsible for $126 billion - about 12.6%

Not sure I agree with "cutting them off" from that 12.6% right away but I do agree with you that maybe you tell states we are going to start cutting federal monies over the next 5 years and make the goal $100 billion or target 10% of total educational spending.

It's weird but according to that website States are helping K-12 education almost not at all. "Local" governments account for $600 billion of the total $650 billion spent on K-12 education in this country.

Not that there is a majority of us tax payers left but if they took a close look at all the taxes deducted from their paycheck and then add up their personal property taxes, then add up sales taxes, then add up any capitol gains taxes made by risking their own money, and added the expense of goods and services due to taxes they'd finally wake up and say, hey enough of this bullshit!!! Next would be pitchforks. I sincerely believe if most were not all armed to the teeth, they'd completely walk all over us with absolutely no fear of an uprising.

Oh yeah, if you did really well, old Uncle Sam feels like he needs to get a cut of your estate rather than your family... Land of the Free? For some I guess.