• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

PG - We Suck Again

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
It is one thing to lose a football game.

It is something much worse to be ridiculed on national television.

The Steelers took a well-deserved beating on the Amazon Prime telecast Thursday night on their way to an embarrassing 21-18 home loss to the New England Patriots that left their playoff hopes on life support and turned up the heat on the man most responsible for the rotten performance, Mike Tomlin.

“Playing a 2-10 team two weeks in a row, and this is their effort?” analyst Kirk Herbstreit asked.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mitch Trubisky celebrates a touchdown against the New England Patriots at the Acrisure Stadium on Thursday, Dec. 7, 2023, in the North Shore. The New England Patriots won 21-18.
Gerry Dulac
Gerry Dulac: Steelers season in serious jeopardy after another embarrassing night at the office

“Pretty terrible,” play-by-play man Al Michaels added.

It was what we have come to expect from these sorry Steelers. Mental mistakes. Wasted timeouts. An inability to convert third downs. Another short-yardage failure. Another poor punt by Pressley Harvin III.

It all comes back to Tomlin, whose approval rating in this town has never been lower.

The Steelers dug themselves a 21-3 hole against a team that came in averaging an NFL-worst 12.3 points per game and had scored a total of 13 points in their previous three games. It was easy to see it was going to be a long night from the start when the Patriots went 75 yards for a touchdown on their opening drive. Quarterback Bailey Zappe, who did a fair Tom Brady impersonation and finished with three touchdown passes and a 115.2 passer rating, connected with JuJu Smith-Schuster or a 37-yard gain on the third play of the possession. It was the Patriots’ first completion of 30 yards this season.

The Steelers never recovered.

And you didn’t think it could get worse after the 24-10 home loss to the pathetic Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.

This latest fiasco made three losses in four games, if you count the defeat in Cleveland on Nov. 19 to a rookie quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson.

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Tyreek Hill (10) catches a touchdown pass during the first half of an NFL football game against the Washington Commanders Sunday, Dec. 3, 2023, in Landover, Md.
Gerry Dulac
Gerry Dulac's 2023 NFL picks: Week 14

It’s enough to make you wonder what the Steelers have to do to salvage their season.

Or if they even can.

The Steelers fired Matt Canada as offensive coordinator. That didn’t do much of anything to help the team’s horrible offense. It produced just 264 yards of offense against the Patriots and was 3-of-14 on third downs. Somehow, though, it did manage a rare second touchdown.

The Steelers changed quarterbacks out of necessity after Kenny Pickett’s ankle injury against Arizona. Mitch Trubisky was no better. He threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Diontae Johnson but also had an interception that set up an 11-yard touchdown drive by the Patriots and led to a fairly robust “Ma-son Ru-dolph!” chant through Acrisure Stadium.

There’s not much left to change.

Well, other than the head coach.

That’s something Art Rooney II will have to seriously consider after the season if the Steelers don’t find a miracle turnaround.

It’s easy to think Tomlin’s shelf life here might just be expiring in his 17th season.

The Steelers still have a winning record at 7-6 but likely will have to win three of their final four games against Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Seattle and Baltimore to make the playoffs. If they fall short, it will be for the second season in a row and the fourth time in the past six seasons. They haven’t won a playoff game since the 2016 season.

This collapse is a poor reflection of Tomlin.

There was another illegal-formation penalty when Chuks Okorafor failed to line up properly. That’s inexcusable at this point of the season.

The Steelers failed on a 4th-and-2 play from the Patriots 8 on the first play of the fourth quarter after being set up by an interception and return by Mykal Walker to the New England 16. “They got seven points off their turnover on the short field. We got zero off ours,” Tomlin said. “That was the difference in the game.”

The Steelers wasted two timeouts in the fourth quarter, one when they didn’t get a play call to Trubisky on time, the other before they decided to have Trubisky sneak for a first down on a fourth-down play. Speaking of inexcusable.

And how about the play selection on the Steelers’ final real drive? Canada couldn’t have done any worse. The team had a 3rd-and-2 on its 49 with a little more than 2 minutes left. One or two running plays likely would have given them a first down and pushed them closer for a tying field-goal try by Chris Boswell. But Trubisky threw incomplete for George Pickens on third down and then incomplete for Diontae Johnson on a deep ball on fourth down.

I couldn’t help but wish that Ben Roethlisberger, who was in the house with his two sons, had come out of his suite to throw those two passes.

Tomlin was terse after the game when asked where the sinking Steelers go from here.

“We get ready for our next opportunity. That’s what we always do. Obviously, this stings, but we’ll be back.”

Pressed about how he can possibly feel confident about his team in its current state, Tomlin growled, “Because this is what we do. This is who we are.”

No, what the Steelers are, at least at the moment, is a lousy football team headed nowhere.

Again.

Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com and Twitter@RonCookPG. Ron Cook can be heard on the “Cook and Joe” show on weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan

First Published December 8, 2023, 3:30am

Ron Cook: The Steelers have officially hit rock bottom

nothing to argue against there. 100% solid.

Mike Tomlin constantly cowers (pun intended) in his fears, does stupid things, cannot to this day manage the clock or handle challenges, ran off very good assistant coaches (Lebeau, Arians, Haley, Flores), surrounds himself with incompetent yes-men (Austin, Cana-DUH), and is popular with the media solely for his inane witticisms.

Fire his *** or nothing changes. Nothing. More losses to 2-10 teams and ****** quarterbacks and more pathetic offense with utterly unimaginative play-calling and idiotic sequences that seem designed to result in a terrible series, wasted timeouts, dumb challenges, failure to challenge when doing so makes sense and of course the inevitable Harvin shank.

It's a damn shame it's taken this long for people to open their eyes. Tomlin wasted so many good seasons where we should have been playing for the SB. Cam's career was wasted and some of Ben's best years were all wasted. Tomlin has been in over his head since the start, he's faked his way to being the media's darling. You can only lie and pretend for so long though. Tomlin should have been gone after the loss to the Jaguars, you could argue he should have been gone after the loss to Tebow. The offense since 2019 has looked exactly the same and looks like it is designed by someone who has no clue about offense. Who knows nothing about offense but thinks they're such a good HC now that he wants to run everything now? Look no further than Tomlin. It's finally all being exposed.

The Steelers haven't won a playoff game since 2016. Let that sink in. 7 years. Even Chuck Noll with those mid-late 80's teams only went 4 seasons without a playoff win let alone missing the playoffs. I'm done with Shades and the three-dollar words. It doesn't translate to squat.

"Pressed about how he can possibly feel confident about his team in its current state, Tomlin growled, “Because this is what we do. This is who we are.”

Actually, yep. This IS who they are.

"Pressed about how he can possibly feel confident about his team in its current state, Tomlin growled, “Because this is what we do. This is who we are.”

When he said that, I yelled YEP! YOUR GREAT AT SUCKING MIKE!!!! IT'S WHAT YOU ALWAYS DO!

Ron Cook is one of the last guys I'd expect to call out Tomlin. I know a lot wanted to make the move after losing to Tebow, even more after losing to Jacksonville in the playoffs. Nothing was accomplished after either of those games. The team has been stuck in neutral.

Although the Steelers are currently above .500 and were there last year, their on-field play resembled more of a bottom-five team than a playoff team.

You know those whole frogs and boiling water or other cliches? The ones where the change is so small over time you don't notice? When you wake up from the glory and see defeat?

If not, Steelers's fans have now fully experienced it. The switch to Tomlin saw the slow burn of an incapable head coach winning with a SB team, losing with part of it and never sniffing grandma's panties since. NO, I am not telling you about that time and those panties. Anyway, Tomlin has been the death by mediocrity, a death by a thousand cuts, a death by [fill in your own blanks].

I have watched a lot of crap Steelers games over my lifetime (and hey, **** happens but I loved the team). And, to be fair, historically great runs beyond the amazing. But this isn't what the latter is about. The former is. And even during all of the downs and ups I always charged through the game to the end (gotta take those lumps!). Last night, I left at halftime. Sure, Steelers could have won (and were within distance). But I knew the story. My wife was initially shocked when I suggested we head to the bedroom and watch a Hallmark Christmas movie. But she knew the story too. Didn't matter if they did eventually win.

Never did that before. Don't regret it. And eff the Steelers for making that so.

Stephen A is done with the Steelers.

What they don't address is the defense. That **** is just a notch above the offense. You block that pass rush up, which teams have been doing rather well and you get some scrub bum throwing 3 touchdown passes in the first half.

Most of the quarterbacks have looked pretty good against them. Even the guys who nobody will remember their name at seasons end.

It's a total **** show. I know Ryan Clark looks at that defense and statistics and just shakes his head.

nothing to argue against there. 100% solid.
All that "insight" has been available in these threads for a decade. He just wrote up the blindingly obvious summary critique of the latest example of poor game plan, poor player preparation, poor playcalling, poor game management, etc.

It's like Tomlin is trying to get fired.

That would be the question for his next presser: "Are you trying to get fired?"

Only .500 team team to ever lose consecutive games to teams 8 games under .500

In NFL history.

Well, at least Tomlin got the officials to stick with that bad call of not a backwards pass against the Packers that handed you that W.

You've owed us one since that SB. Now you owe us a bit less than one
Owed you one? How so?

I'm not complaining about the refs. I'm just saying Tomlin was the one that got them to stick with that call.

Mike has pull with the refs. Maybe a reason to not fire. Trying to give you some hope.😌

We can trade you Tomlin for some good cheese
Nah, we good with LaFleur. You all did tell me Kenny was better than J-Love though. That hasn't aged well. I don't mean to kick when down.

Steelers will be fine.

Owed you one? How so?

I'm not complaining about the refs. I'm just saying Tomlin was the one that got them to stick with that call.

Mike has pull with the refs. Maybe a reason to not fire. Trying to give you some hope.😌
I've offered Tomlin, a case of beer and a couple pizzas to Dallas for your alls former HC.

That is how badly Tomlin sucks

I've offered Tomlin, a case of beer and a couple pizzas to Dallas for your alls former HC.

That is how badly Tomlin sucks
I wouldn't say he sucks. Just time for a new voice. Same reason it was time to dump McCarthy near the end of 2018 and hire LaFleur in 2019.

Only .500 team team to ever lose consecutive games to teams 8 games under .500

In NFL history.
Sorry, but how are those teams eight games under .500? 12 games at .500 is 6-6, Pats and Arizona are 2-10 that is 4 games under. Or did you mean the Steelers are the first team to lose consecutive games to teams who were 8 games under .500 combined?

If anyone has Art the Dookie‘s email, now is the time to start passing it around. It won’t much matter, but it would make his day as miserable as ours.