• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pickens a no show at Russ' throwing drills

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Buying a Lambo SUV is just criminal in itself. An SUV? Really!? Ugh. Get the real thing. Not that I would buy a Lambo if I had that kind of coin anyway.

I'd snatch up a McLaren 720s and go on a track Tour around the country.

The True motivation……………….

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
In the end some people know what Brown did and did not get away with. The reality is he didn't become an ******* he was one. If they won two SBs with AB I'd say Tomlin did a great job "managing" him. They won squat. So it's a double edge sword of Tomlin managed him and Tomlin should have dealt with him MUCH earlier.

diver

Reaction score
In the end some people know what Brown did and did not get away with. The reality is he didn't become an ******* he was one. If they won two SBs with AB I'd say Tomlin did a great job "managing" him. They won squat. So it's a double edge sword of Tomlin managed him and Tomlin should have dealt with him MUCH earlier.
Some people do know. I know that I am not one of them. I'm gonna take a leap here and assume you are not one, either. We have no idea how/if Tomlin managed him. I simply rebel against the idea that was presented that Tomlin is an @ss clown when it comes to dealing with divas. Maybe he is, I'll concede that. But he might not be either, for all we know. I am just presenting another option.

I think the only way to deal with a guy like Antonio Brown is to NOT deal with him. Don't draft guys like him. If you choose to, you have to figure out ways to get the most out of them. For 6 years, Tomlin got that. The fact that they didn't win a championship...I don't think Antonio Brown was a main reason for that. He played pretty damn well in playoff games for them.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Some people do know. I know that I am not one of them. I'm gonna take a leap here and assume you are not one, either. We have no idea how/if Tomlin managed him. I simply rebel against the idea that was presented that Tomlin is an @ss clown when it comes to dealing with divas. Maybe he is, I'll concede that. But he might not be either, for all we know. I am just presenting another option.

I think the only way to deal with a guy like Antonio Brown is to NOT deal with him. Don't draft guys like him. If you choose to, you have to figure out ways to get the most out of them. For 6 years, Tomlin got that. The fact that they didn't win a championship...I don't think Antonio Brown was a main reason for that. He played pretty damn well in playoff games for them.
it was a sucky defense and bad coaching. not offense.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
People always rave how Tomlin was able to avoid Brown showing what an ******* he was. Anyone ever consider what his trade value was before teams knew what he was or how much damage he did to the team culture.
Ryan Clark KNEW what a horses @ss AB was gonna be "as soon as he got his $." He definitely predicted that one.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin gets OUT COACHED regularly when it comes to play off games. You only have to look as far back as the Buffalo game.

The last three games of the season, the offense was opened up and Rudy posted the best QB of the entire NFL for that 3-game stretch.

Playoff game starts and Tomnlin went “turtle-ball”, we lost.

THAT was the difference, not a bad day at the office or hang-overs, Just Coach Tomlin being out coached, decided he didn’t want risk and that is his brand of coaching.

Unless his coaching has changed or Art 2 said OC has control of the offense, it will stay the same, non-losing season and 1 & Done if we make the playoffs.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score

The Steelers get first round talent at 3rd round prices at tgat position for a reason. All I'm saying is that it's been presented that Tomlin managed him and others could not. My opinion is they hid his crazy. And their was a price.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand what you are saying...but, in the moment then would have you made a deal? We have the benefit of hindsight now. It isn't an easy question for sure. They'd have been trading a (at the time) future HOFer for who knows. At that time, if he gets traded, they had Bryant who you couldn't count on, Wheaton who I guess was a dime a dozen...trading Brown may have left them not good at all there, with Ben in his prime.
In the moment no.
Hindsight yes

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I agree to a degree but not without any parameters whatsoever. It's not as if we are anywhere close to contending for a ring this year. If Pickens reverts to the "un-blocking" slacker as last year, you got to move him off the team; you can't put up with such blatant disregard for team cohesiveness/effort. You just can't have that kind of a hole attitude, even though coach Shades clearly doesn't grasp that.
A receiver that is open 99% of the time and sees the ball about 5-10% of the time getting called an ahole because he didn’t block on one play…laughable. How many other Steelers took a play off last year??? It’s a big number- guess we have 50 some aholes?

That he was only mildly disenfranchised with the disastrous KP-Canada-Tomlin offense makes him a saint in my book for not actually blowing up and pulling an AB like the situation probably called for.

Don’t give two ***** that our best offensive player took a play off, and he seemingly learned from being called out in the situation so win-win in my book.

GP was literally one of the only reasons to tune in and watch that train wreck that was the Steeler offense.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
A receiver that is open 99% of the time and sees the ball about 5-10% of the time getting called an ahole because he didn’t block on one play…laughable. How many other Steelers took a play off last year??? It’s a big number- guess we have 50 some aholes?

That he was only mildly disenfranchised with the disastrous KP-Canada-Tomlin offense makes him a saint in my book for not actually blowing up and pulling an AB like the situation probably called for.

Don’t give two ***** that our best offensive player took a play off, and he seemingly learned from being called out in the situation so win-win in my book.

GP was literally one of the only reasons to tune in and watch that train wreck that was the Steeler offense.
No argument except for giving GP a pass for blatantly not giving even 5% of effort on that block; there is NO EXCUSE for such complete giving up on a play, none. You have zero competitive spirit giving up like that, I couldn't do it in a backyard game. Where is any team effort? How can you just give up ike that? Especially when you are doing it for a living? And it's hardly just that one play; GP is infamous for "giving up" when running routes. He just doesn't give a f--k.

diver

Reaction score
No argument except for giving GP a pass for blatantly not giving even 5% of effort on that block; there is NO EXCUSE for such complete giving up on a play, none. You have zero competitive spirit giving up like that, I couldn't do it in a backyard game. Where is any team effort? How can you just give up ike that? Especially when you are doing it for a living? And it's hardly just that one play; GP is infamous for "giving up" when running routes. He just doesn't give a f--k.
Here's hoping it's just youth. But as you say, there is no excuse. Remember, we all all young and dumb at one point.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Tomlins philosophy is put up with it till I can replace you. It's so arbitrary. Like to me a simple comment on the sideline like Okorafor isn't in the same universe as Pickens and Johnsons bullshit efforts. If the 1st round tackle was better then Moore and Okorafor he dhouod have been paying day one. Not when Okorafor said what the world thought.

diver

Reaction score
Tomlins philosophy is put up with it till I can replace you. It's so arbitrary. Like to me a simple comment on the sideline like Okorafor isn't in the same universe as Pickens and Johnsons bullshit efforts. If the 1st round tackle was better then Moore and Okorafor he dhouod have been paying day one. Not when Okorafor said what the world thought.
I do not understand the way Tomlin handles players either. Sometimes it makes no sense for an outsiders view. But again, we are outsiders, we are not privy to what is going on in there. Jones should have been starting. It makes no sense the willingness to start Moore, a 4th, as a rookie, right away, and not start the guy you moved up to get in the 1st. All that said, we have no idea what Okorafor said or didn't say. We don't know if there was any lead up to it.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Here's hoping it's just youth. But as you say, there is no excuse. Remember, we all all young and dumb at one point.
I'd like to think it's just youth but he seems like another Tomlin problem player just waiting to blow up. Sure, I was "young and dumb" - I did most of the dumb stuff younger people do, but I've never done anything like not bother to block a defender right in front of me. And certainly not on a level of in an NFL game. You'd think just natural instincts would take over of wanting to help out the team. Like he had to try to be a problem, selfish player to do that. I don't know, with Shades' track record of fostering diva players...I just don't know. Always with the "I'm your buddy" agenda. Just great, Shades, way to be. I don't know of any "great" coaches with such a "buddy, buddy" agenda. As a matter of fact, I've heard other truly "great" coaches say they decided on having to be the opposite (Parcells, Hoodie, Jimmy Johnson).

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
I do not understand the way Tomlin handles players either. Sometimes it makes no sense for an outsiders view. But again, we are outsiders, we are not privy to what is going on in there. Jones should have been starting. It makes no sense the willingness to start Moore, a 4th, as a rookie, right away, and not start the guy you moved up to get in the 1st. All that said, we have no idea what Okorafor said or didn't say. We don't know if there was any lead up to it.
We don't "know" what Chuks said exactly, but we basically know the gist of it, i.e. "Why are we even bothering with this @ss clown crap?" And I think what we've seen transpire since then, most of us can agree with his assessment.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
All that stuff u speak of left in the early 2000s at the latest. It’s a me game about enhancing your “brand” and making $$$

Nothing more

Hell our entire D quits on a play during a playoff game just cuz Josh Allen pulls a mild Kenny slide fake…where’s the outrage???

Watch the all 22, rarely is everyone giving effort all across the board

You’re yearning for a bye gone era

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
All that stuff u speak of left in the early 2000s at the latest. It’s a me game about enhancing your “brand” and making $$$

Nothing more

Hell our entire D quits on a play during a playoff game just cuz Josh Allen pulls a mild Kenny slide fake…where’s the outrage???

Watch the all 22, rarely is everyone giving effort all across the board

You’re yearning for a bye gone era
Yup, might as well just give up on humanity itself. Am I kidding?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Or it could be exactly what it seems. Do or say whatever the **** you want as it pertains to teamates and the team bur never question the coaching.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Brown had a very good work ethic so i think Tomlin took the good w/ the bad. I dont think Tomlin controlled Brown, but Brown worked hard and produced. Ben and Brown also had crazy chemistry so he got the ball and put up big numbers which kept him happy.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Or it could be exactly what it seems. Do or say whatever the **** you want as it pertains to teamates and the team bur never question the coaching.
If you do, Tomlin will throw a hissy fit and then immature action should be overlooked. Hypocrite Shades.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

This is the part of the Tomlin coaching I truly dislike. N o rhyme or reason on many things. Clearly a coach who doesn’t seem to have the little things covered.

Someone here said in a post that they went to a game and noticed how unorganized the pre-game warm-ups are as compared to the other teams. That is nothing new, it’s been that way since about as long as the players realized they didn’t have to be accountable to that. The more the “Cowher” disciplined player retired or moved on, the more lackadaisical the team became. Why the hellA wouldn’t you want to play for a coach who seems to let you just get by and not seem to have much disciplinary structure for the team.

Coach Tomlin, make us all a believer, win 4 consecutive play off games.

Salute the nation