• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Positive Sign For Joe Haden and Steelers?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers and Joe Haden have seemingly been at odds since last off-season when Haden publicly spoke about wanting a new contract, and the Steelers ignored him while they tried to sign TJ Watt.

Free agency begins on March 16th, and the ‘tampering’ period on the 12th. The Steelers have a ton of unrestricted free agents and they’ve yet to agree to a new deal with any of them. But maybe those talks are heating up this week as they’re running out of time to make those decisions. One of those decisions could be on Haden. Even though the sides weren’t able to come up with something last year doesn’t mean the Steelers aren’t trying to sign him now.

Haden is entering the twilight of his career, and surely is looking for that last pay day. But his last pay day may have come with the Steelers when he signed an extension in 2019. He’s currently projected to get a one year five million dollar deal on the open market according to Pro Football Focus, and that number should be well in reason for the Steelers. While other teams may want to give Haden a one year deal, he can likely get two years in Pittsburgh. With the coaching staff familiar with Haden, and with his ability as a leader the Steelers would probably be more comfortable giving him two years.

Now, the reason we’re bringing all of this up today is because Haden dropped a tweet this morning.

Top of the Morning! pic.twitter.com/1Cq5nOZcnH

— Joe Haden (@joehaden23) March 7, 2022

It could be absolutely nothing, which it likely is. Or it could be a positive sign that Haden and the Steelers have something in the works. Haden uses social media, but not a ton, so the tweet is a little bit out of the ordinary for him. Take it for what it’s worth. We will see regardless by March 16th.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I would rather bring back Witherspoon. But Haden would be ok as insurance. I just hope they don't plan on him being the starter on the outside all season. If he is resigned.

Time to use #20 pick to bring in a top-flight CB. Re-sign Witherspoon to be the #2, continue using Sutton in the slot and hope he improves over his 5 TD's allowed in 72 targets.

Really need to upgrade the CB position. Haden's QB rating allowed has gone from 66.5 in 2019, to 75.9 in 2020 (both very good), to 100.1 last season (pretty bad), with his picks going from 5 to 2 to 0. I doubt that troublesome trend improves in 2022.

Time to use #20 pick to bring in a top-flight CB. Re-sign Witherspoon to be the #2, continue using Sutton in the slot and hope he improves over his 5 TD's allowed in 72 targets.

Really need to upgrade the CB position. Haden's QB rating allowed has gone from 66.5 in 2019, to 75.9 in 2020 (both very good), to 100.1 last season (pretty bad), with his picks going from 5 to 2 to 0. I doubt that troublesome trend improves in 2022.
This being the truth of where he is trending now…even 1 year 5 mil seems too expensive for the aging liability that is Haden.

Sign Witherspoon and bring in a vet that is an upgrade from Haden (or at least 1 with an upside). Throwing money at Haden to leave a gaping hole in the secondary seems like a futile move.

This being the truth of where he is trending now…even 1 year 5 mil seems too expensive for the aging liability that is Haden.

Sign Witherspoon and bring in a vet that is an upgrade from Haden (or at least 1 with an upside). Throwing money at Haden to leave a gaping hole in the secondary seems like a futile move.

2022 draft has some very good CB's. The first two - Stingley and Gardner - are not likely to fall to #20. Elam may. Would not be shocked to see him go inside the top-20, however, possibly to the Eagles at 16 or the Saints at 18. If Stingley, Gardner and Elam are all gone by pick 20, I hope the Steelers target one of the elite DLman, and then go Faalele at 52, ILB'er at 84.

"Oh, defense heavy, they need help on offense, what about QB?" The team has more holes than can be filled in one season. The draft is deep in DL, CB, RT, and ILBer. Go with it.

For $5 million, I bring Haden back and I sign Witherspoon to a 3 year deal in the $8 million-ish range. He isn't a starter so shouldn't command top dollar by any stretch. That has us go into the draft not needing to draft anyone high since we suck at drafting CB's. If we can make a play for Ward, he makes Haden expendable if they also sign Witherspoon. No way we should go after JC Jackson and his $20 million price tag.

For $5 million, I bring Haden back and I sign Witherspoon to a 3 year deal in the $8 million-ish range. He isn't a starter so shouldn't command top dollar by any stretch. That has us go into the draft not needing to draft anyone high since we suck at drafting CB's. If we can make a play for Ward, he makes Haden expendable if they also sign Witherspoon. No way we should go after JC Jackson and his $20 million price tag.
Witherspoon made 4 million this year and is due a bump to stay… he also would be in that 5 million bucks a year range probably

Cbs are extremely expensive in ufa

Witherspoon made 4 million this year and is due a bump to stay… he also would be in that 5 million bucks a year range probably

Cbs are extremely expensive in ufa
I'd say more like 7M range

You know what upgrades your entire secondary? A stout DL creating a very inhospitable place to do much of anything. We need another blue chip on the line. When you can't even stuff the run, you're screwed in the passing game.

You know what upgrades your entire secondary? A stout DL creating a very inhospitable place to do much of anything. We need another blue chip on the line. When you can't even stuff the run, you're screwed in the passing game.
Jordan Davis is the answer. Amen...

yeah well, imagine this secondary in the nickel:
CB1 James Pierre
CB2: Justin Layne
NCB: Cam Sutton

yeap, that can actually happen, that's who they have rostered right now.

Last edited:
Feels like Joe is counting down to free agency.

If only top flight CBs were a common find at #20.

this draft it might, Elam sure will be available and maybe we have a shot at Booth or McDuffie.

this draft it might, Elam sure will be available and maybe we have a shot at Booth or McDuffie.
Possibly

But CBs are the hardest position to fill outside QB and blue chippers tend to not get past 15, if not the top 10

Time to use #20 pick to bring in a top-flight CB.
No. Team has never drafted and developed a good DB since Shades has been here. Wasted several first-round picks on DB busts. Our best DB's came from other teams.

yeah well, imagine this secondary in the nickel:
CB1 James Pierre
CB2: Justin Layne
NCB: Cam Sutton

yeap, that can actually happen, that's who they have rostered right now.

That's why CB is a HUGE need !

I'm hoping there is a very very good one at 1.20 or possibly in the 2nd. It will be interesting to see who is there because I have a feeling there will be 3-qaulity players of 3 need possitions for us, who will we pick (I hope not a QB).

Salute the nation

Not many fall to 20, but some do. JC Jackson was a free agent for crying out loud. Xavien Howard was drafted in the 2nd round after running a 4.58 40. Kenny Moore was another undrafted guy. The Cowboys got Diggs in the 2nd round. It happens.

This draft has three really good prospects in Stingley, Gardner and Elam. All three have the physical skills, productivity against top-flight competition and talent to be excellent CB's. Also, McDuffie is just a tick below those guys. Those four are as plug-and-play as you can find. I don't think Stingley or Gardner fall to 20 but Elam looks like he may. Big, fast, experienced, shut down Mechie. McDuffie almost certain to be there at 20. I don't like him as much as Elam since Elam is 6'2", but he is a damn good CB, experienced both man and zone. He took on some very good WR's in the PAC-12.

witherspoon 4 years 30 million
haden 1 year 7 million

Witherspoon
Haden
sutton
Layne
Norwood