• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Potential OC Candidates for the Steelers in 2024

Ben's final two seasons, when he couldn't move, he threw for 7500 yards and 55 TD's.
Yeah there's no question Shanahan is way better than Canada/Fichtner, but we've had guys wide open and Kenny misses them or doesn't even see them. Everyone says Shanahan schemes people open, but their guys aren't wide open every play, Purdy still has to make throws into NFL windows or throw guys open.
I’d seriously look into testing KP8’s peripheral vision and vision in general

He seems to not see the field well at all and if it’s past 10 yards he really struggles

Maybe he has 20/100 vision and piss poor peripheral Cuz he locks onto a close target and his head straight follows that target leading the defenders right to the play

Don’t even ask dude to get under center, then turn his back on the play and run legit play action (the best friend of a good run game)

If it’s not a vision thing it’s a mental processing thing imo, and both are problems for the primary ball handler

I’d seriously look into testing KP8’s peripheral vision and vision in general

He seems to not see the field well at all and if it’s past 10 yards he really struggles

Maybe he has 20/100 vision and piss poor peripheral Cuz he locks onto a close target and his head straight follows that target leading the defenders right to the play

Don’t even ask dude to get under center, then turn his back on the play and run legit play action (the best friend of a good run game)

If it’s not a vision thing it’s a mental processing thing imo, and both are problems for the primary ball handler
Beady eyes and small hands ?!!
Poor fella…

Clinical studies suggest larger hands leads to more touchdowns.

YOu keep totally ignoring who was calling the plays. Judging any QB we have had for the last 4 years with the offense we have run is using fruit of the poisoned tree.
Yet this is one of the points I bring up with you when you defend our HC. And now you use this as an asterisk basically. And now use in a different scenario To justify your own argument. Its mind boggling.
Once again. The current HC hand picked and hired him. He let that offense run for 4 years. Any fool could see the scheme was a joke After one season. Public pressure,more than anything got him fired. Why the hell was he not held accountable? 17 years.
It’s had so many ramifications. Now the excuses will be…..well it’s only the first year….they need time to adapt to new playbook etc,etc. I can hear them all.
Good god. I know I shouldn’t even respond to some of these comments. But I can’t help it. I mean seriously?

Better get the guy from SF, according to some in the Pittsburgh media, he'd be doing the same as Purdy if he were on that team, and Purdy would suck here. I don't know why no body wants to give Purdy any credit, but he completes 69% of his passes, has 44 career TD's to 15 INT's. There's no way in hell Pickett comes close to what Purdy is doing if here were in SF.
That would be the guy I’ve been pimping for a while, Klint Kubiak the Niners passing coordinator who has done wonders with Purdy.

Not to dampen anyone’s spirit here but just saw where Jerry Dulac Steelers beat writer say he’s heard that they will be signing Terrell Austin to a new contract as DC.
Looks like the defensive side and probably ST will be the same.

Kingsbury is the best guy for the OC job... he is a lousy HC, but great OC and extremely good QB guru...

The issue is the guy might be getting 5.5 million per season to not coach in the NFL until 2027... depending on the verbiage in his Cardinals extention... so getting him is going to cost serious bucks

Not to dampen anyone’s spirit here but just saw where Jerry Dulac Steelers beat writer say he’s heard that they will be signing Terrell Austin to a new contract as DC.

While I am no Austin fan, his scheme is press man heavy and he really hasnt had tge horses to run it here well... if Trice and Rush both can take a step forward, his D will be much improved

Kingsbury is the best guy for the OC job... he is a lousy HC, but great OC and extremely good QB guru...

The issue is the guy might be getting 5.5 million per season to not coach in the NFL until 2027... depending on the verbiage in his Cardinals extention... so getting him is going to cost serious bucks
It would be very nice....but does anyone really believe that he would come to Pittsburgh?

His Trophy Wife would nix that convo before it ever gets started!

While I am no Austin fan, his scheme is press man heavy and he really hasnt had tge horses to run it here well... if Trice and Rush both can take a step forward, his D will be much improved
It doesn't matter, it's Tomlin's scheme, that's why we continually try to cover everyone with slow LB's, and primarily use only 2 DL, like we've been doing for 15 years now.

Last edited:
Yet this is one of the points I bring up with you when you defend our HC. And now you use this as an asterisk basically. And now use in a different scenario To justify your own argument. Its mind boggling.
Once again. The current HC hand picked and hired him. He let that offense run for 4 years. Any fool could see the scheme was a joke After one season. Public pressure,more than anything got him fired. Why the hell was he not held accountable? 17 years.
It’s had so many ramifications. Now the excuses will be…..well it’s only the first year….they need time to adapt to new playbook etc,etc. I can hear them all.
Good god. I know I shouldn’t even respond to some of these comments. But I can’t help it. I mean seriously?
I never ever have said Tomlin was a perfect coach with no flaws. I have also said I would have been fine with him retiring. Yes I am a Tomlin supporter but I am not blind either. It is the one real complaint I have had was his loyalty to some of these coaches. That and being bad at challenges. If we truly go outside the staff and hire someone with real potential I am willing to forgive and forget.

I don't have many issues with the special teams this year. Boz was good, we had a couple blocks, return game was not terrible, and I do not recall giving up a lot of big returns. We had the Gunner gaffe and the one game where Boz kept kicking it short (could have been Tomlin's call). The biggest issue was Harvin, but I dont pin that on the ST coach.

Agreed - he lost his starting two ILBs as well...Austin isn't super terrible at his job. Not great either but he's fine when he has his starters playing...JMO

Agreed - he lost his starting two ILBs as well...Austin isn't super terrible at his job. Not great either but he's fine when he has his starters playing...JMO

Yeah, he probably is just the Modern day Tim Lewis.... by no means bad, but definitely not a championship level coach....

Lewis was a guy outright fired after the 2003 season despite having had a pretty good strech running the d the previous few years..

Cowher disagreed with some of his philosophies.. so did I.. he was too passive and liked slower smarter safties that had been schemed out of the league ...

They went 6-10 with a meh D in 2003, replaced him, and went to the afc cg in 04 then won in 05... meanwhile the giants took him as DC for 2004-06.. they jettisoned him after a 8-8 season where his pass D was suspect... the next season they won a super bowl..

Hexwasnt really bad per se... but he didnt maximize his talent nor did he adapt to the changing league

Shades 101: always keep a scape goat around and ready for the slaughter

And irreparable as well, only modest improvements can be made on these problem areas. He was a busted 1st-round picks.