• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Power rankings have us at 14

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/22/steelers-nfl-power-rankings-2/

(I checked to make sure there was not an article on this site already)

14, right at the edge of playoffs. Pretty accurate to me, at this point. At 14, likely a 1 and done in the postseason but you never know.

Considering who our head coach is, I see why we aren't ranked higher. I'd like to see us at 24-26 PPG. Can that happen with capt "pee-your-pants" leading things? Or will we be at 17-18 PPG again? If we continue to be a 17-18 PPG team again, we can't expect much in the playoffs.

36 year old qb on the fade. We saw this movie already.

Some sexy looking things have happened in FA. If this defense isn't at least as good as the Ravens last year you really have to ask why? If their offense gets to mid pack they should be at least 14. But in the end they draft from 23- 18 in 2025.

We have a ways to go before this football team is a legit contender to play with the big boys.
I like the moves so far but need RT and a Center, need 2 and 3 receiver. DL depth to.
Better secure fresh duct tape to ol Russ and hope he can turn back the clock and hope that all this potential they associate to young Justin comes to fruition. Not saying Justin can’t be the guy but we have to see it first.
And then there is Shades! We shall see soon enough!

The article says they won 10 games last season regardless of the poor QB play.

I just want to state that that number should be 7 because 3 were won by Mason Rudolf QB play which happened to be the best QB rating play in all of the NFL for that 3-game stretch.

We all know Power Rankings mean very little in the grand scheme of things, but as fans, we always want to see our team in the top parts of these.

Salute the nation

I just want to state that that number should be 7 because 3 were won by Mason Rudolf QB play which happened to be the best QB rating play in all of the NFL for that 3-game stretch.

We all know Power Rankings mean very little in the grand scheme of things, but as fans, we always want to see our team in the top parts of these.

Salute the nation
I know power rankings are meaningless right now, but we got to talk about something. I remember the 90's and most of Ben's career we were usually in the top 5 of these things.

Some sexy looking things have happened in FA. If this defense isn't at least as good as the Ravens last year you really have to ask why? If their offense gets to mid pack they should be at least 14. But in the end they draft from 23- 18 in 2025.
Scheme goes a long way. We have the talent. We just need to put our players into position to succeed.

Scheme goes a long way. We have the talent. We just need to put our players into position to succeed.
Yea, "we" being Shades. How much faith you got with him? Word is they are still planning to go with Moore at LT...are you serious?

To me, it totally depends on Arthur Smith's offense. IF he brings the offense from ATL, we will look pathetic, as we do not have a dominant line and do not have multiple recievers who are NFL worthy. IF he brings the offense from the 2019-2020 Titans we will be "average", which is a plus compared to last year. BECAUSE, not only did the scheme fit the merchandise in 2019-2020 at Tennessee, they ALSO had some pretty great receivers and dynamic skill players at RB, FB and TE to garnner 40% of the receptions.

IMO, we need another TE to run the A.Smith offense (Titan version) and at least one very talented WR. We have the RBs but the OL looks suspect under our OL coach, regardless of talent. Everyone keeps clamoring for Jones to move to the left side BUT he has an issue with inside moves and twists (he always has) which got worse as he played more last year.

The defense SHOULD be far better than we have been, and part of that is scheme, some of it is WHO is on the field but MOST of it is on the DC (HC). We have an extremely talented defense which could play much better with better anticipation. We had less talent in 2022 because of injuries and less talent but had better anticipation with Flores in the room. We need "at least" a healthy Heyward and Minkah playing in his best position to perform better, IMO. That will require a "decent" SS and at least one ILB who is coverage savvy. We STILL don't have either IMO.

IMO, we need to draft or sign an OC #1, and a WR #2 with a coverage capable ILB #3, followed by TE, CB and DL. We won't get it al this year, so, we have to get as close as possible to what A. Smith needs to run his offense. He had AJ Brown, Corey Davis and Adam Humphries as WR targets (obviously better than we are now) PLUS Jonnu Smith and Delanie Walker at TE as well as his RBs to throw to. On D, we need a coverage "sound" ILB which we still do not have PLUS an upgrade at SS/Slot capable which we haven't had since Troy/Hilton. Donte Jackson will be an upgrade over Wallace, who took a step back in 2023, but one of the many CBs on the roster should be able to perform better than Wallace and the slot/nickel we had on the field the last few years.

If I were Kahn, I'd immediately bring in Southland or Munch as OL coach and THEN we could draft a OC that could be able to run outside/inside zone scheme blocking which A. Smith requires. We could then de-prioritize the OC to a later round (Limmer or Van Pran) and go after the WR, ILB, and SS positions early OR at least trade back to get some >#100 picks to fill our needs. IF we don't we may need to draft a LT/RT capable OL, an OC and a WR w the first 3 picks. I don't want that, at all. It's WAY cheaper to pay a top position coach than it is to PAY top position players. We need to figure that part out, IMO.

Salute the nation
And three were lost with Mitch Trubisky, after they'd gone 7-4 with Pickett and with Pickett having shown improvement in the one full game he had without Canada. Good chance they win at least two of those if either Pickett wasn't injured or Rudolph played instead of Trubisky.

To me, it totally depends on Arthur Smith's offense. IF he brings the offense from ATL, we will look pathetic, as we do not have a dominant line and do not have multiple recievers who are NFL worthy. IF he brings the offense from the 2019-2020 Titans we will be "average", which is a plus compared to last year. BECAUSE, not only did the scheme fit the merchandise in 2019-2020 at Tennessee, they ALSO had some pretty great receivers and dynamic skill players at RB, FB and TE to garnner 40% of the receptions.

IMO, we need another TE to run the A.Smith offense (Titan version) and at least one very talented WR. We have the RBs but the OL looks suspect under our OL coach, regardless of talent. Everyone keeps clamoring for Jones to move to the left side BUT he has an issue with inside moves and twists (he always has) which got worse as he played more last year.

The defense SHOULD be far better than we have been, and part of that is scheme, some of it is WHO is on the field but MOST of it is on the DC (HC). We have an extremely talented defense which could play much better with better anticipation. We had less talent in 2022 because of injuries and less talent but had better anticipation with Flores in the room. We need "at least" a healthy Heyward and Minkah playing in his best position to perform better, IMO. That will require a "decent" SS and at least one ILB who is coverage savvy. We STILL don't have either IMO.

IMO, we need to draft or sign an OC #1, and a WR #2 with a coverage capable ILB #3, followed by TE, CB and DL. We won't get it al this year, so, we have to get as close as possible to what A. Smith needs to run his offense. He had AJ Brown, Corey Davis and Adam Humphries as WR targets (obviously better than we are now) PLUS Jonnu Smith and Delanie Walker at TE as well as his RBs to throw to. On D, we need a coverage "sound" ILB which we still do not have PLUS an upgrade at SS/Slot capable which we haven't had since Troy/Hilton. Donte Jackson will be an upgrade over Wallace, who took a step back in 2023, but one of the many CBs on the roster should be able to perform better than Wallace and the slot/nickel we had on the field the last few years.

If I were Kahn, I'd immediately bring in Southland or Munch as OL coach and THEN we could draft a OC that could be able to run outside/inside zone scheme blocking which A. Smith requires. We could then de-prioritize the OC to a later round (Limmer or Van Pran) and go after the WR, ILB, and SS positions early OR at least trade back to get some >#100 picks to fill our needs. IF we don't we may need to draft a LT/RT capable OL, an OC and a WR w the first 3 picks. I don't want that, at all. It's WAY cheaper to pay a top position coach than it is to PAY top position players. We need to figure that part out, IMO.
I see the teams biggest needs as C,WR,CB, and T and QB depth. Which all might be addressed after the 4th round pick.

I think 14th is a fair assessment at this time with so many questions and changes. I'd much rather be underestimated at this point.

1.) The ultimate thing TN had which we do not have, is a pounding, prolific rushing game with a dominating, beast of a RB. Henry not only topped 2,000 yards in 2020 he did so at 5.4 ypc - nearly unheard of for that many carries. Truly unbelievable. When you are running the ball with that kind of productivity, it HAS to open up the passing lanes, and it did.

2.) Then, on top of a new standard in rushing domination, you have a big, fast WR with hands to throw to in AJ Brown, in his 2nd year in Henry's 2,000 yard rushing season, who put up over 70 grabs and 1,000 yards but did so at 15+ yards per catch (career high). When you dominate on the ground with a 2,000 yard rushing RB and then have a WR with the skills of a Brown, you are going to be a handful to stop, and TN was.

3.) Am I saying Smith didn't do anything but prosper from great players in TN? No, someone had to put it all together and Smith did, but it is a lot easier to do with a RB like Henry on board, who not only has power of a 6'3", 250 LB back, but has serious speed for a man that size, serious speed, hence his abnormally high YPC #s. If Henry shakes loose from a tackle, he can be gone for 80. But give Smith credit, he did put him in a system that allowed Henry to take off; going for 2,000 yards at a 5.4 ypc clip is an amazing feat.

4.) We do NOT have ANYONE on the roster who resembles the skill set Henry has. Yea, I know Art II thought he was getting a Henry when he drafted Najee, but sad to say, he just wasn't, not even close. Najee is lacking that 5th gear, some would say he's lacking the 4th gear too. He is simply slow compared to Henry, that is obvious. Sure, he tried to shield that fact from NFL suitors (by refusing to run the 40) and it worked on Art, who without that info. still chose to use a 1st round on him. But we've never seen Najee take to to the house from 60 yards out; we've barely seen him do it was 20 yards out. And for a reason - he's just slow.

Warren is a nice RB, especially for being undrafted. Between the 2, we have a decent RB unit, but no one will ever mistake it for a RB unit with a Henry in his prime who scampered for 2,000 yards at a 5.4 ypc clip.

5.) You mention we need some more TE help, and I got a question: Why is it everyone forgets about all the hype there was about "Mount Washington" after we drafted him? He was supposed to be unstoppable at the goal line. Fast forward and all we ended up with was an extra OT. And then there is the mystic "Muuuuthhhh" everyone likes to chant. We gave up the best OC prospect in YEARS to draft Muth instead...was he worth it? I say "no." He disappears for games on end. He apparently can't block at all. How is finding a decent TE so damn hard?

6.) We do need a new OL coach and I wish it were Munch, but something happened there that is not talked about; I feel Shades dissed him due to a fear that his leadership was too threatening. Something happened to the relationship with Munch and the team. I'm not buying the "daughter lived in CO." story, not fully. But we desperately need a new, legit OC - something the team has blown ever since Pouncey retired. The team has lacked building the center of the team - on both sides - since Tomlin has been HC. He just won't commit to it. Here we are passing on Pro Bowl centers while drafting 3rd-round OG to play C. Just brilliant, Colbert/Tomlin. Way to go.

Reactions: xjx
Yea, we need help and there are not enough day one and two picks to cover it. Going center, wr or corner with the first two picks will almost have to start. The corner may begin in the slot which is basically a starter. If it's an OT, he may sit the first four games but Moore isn't the answer.

Others here mentioned tight end and the only reason this isn't getting more play is because there's the positions mentioned above that are glaring concerns. I agree with G Loyd's assessment of Friermuth, he has a couple good games a year, is hurt allot and invisible other games. Some is due to our woefully terrible offensive system but that position is weak. And Washington, smh.

Allot of folks including myself mention the trade back in the first round, this is the year to do it. We need an additional day two pick. I'll take JPJ, Graham or Frazier and all three of them won't be gone by the end of day one. I'm still hoping Kahn can work some magic and fill a couple holes with viable starters through a trade or free agency but that shelf looks like the toilet paper display during a pandemic.

I have heard stories, uncorroberated, that there has been more than just alcohol and body fluids that needed cleaned up in the LS10. One Democrat expert witness claims that the entire interior was replaced after " a party". But she also claimed to have never been near the LS10. I believe her!

I have heard stories, uncorroberated, that there has been more than just alcohol and body fluids that needed cleaned up in the LS10. One Democrat expert witness claims that the entire interior was replaced after " a party". But she also claimed to have never been near the LS10. I believe her!

Keep Politics out of here.

The LUXURY S10 has a very clean reputation and will continue to do so. Many make claims involving the LS10, but like many stars, most are made up.

Only a select few get to actually experience the true LS10, unfortunately Coolie's leaky diaper belongs to one who does.

Salute the nation