• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Random thoughts on other AFC Teams

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Why are all these "experts" saying KC fixed their offensive line? Seems to me they exchanged one 2020 Pro Bowl LT for another. They cut 2013 #1 overall pick Eric Fisher (LT) as he had a torn Achilles, but brought in a Guard - Kyle Long who was a 1st round pick in 2013 who retired after 2019 because of injuries. The media seems to think this is a brilliant move as the 32-year old looks "better than ever." Hard to swallow that because he was a 3x Pro Bowler early in his career. Outside of QB, I don't think anyone is better at 32 than they are in the first 3-7 years in their career. Getting Brown, the last year of his rookie deal - and he is going to seek a big pay day next year. In the last year of his rookie deal - he's counting only $3.4M vs the cap in 2021. Yeah they can franchise tag him, but the franchise tag doesn't automatically mean much as we saw with Le'Veon Bell. His refusal to go back to RT - it doesn't take a genius sports analyst to figure out he knows LT is the biggest paying position on the OL and the Ravens shipped him knowing that he is position to set a new market at LT. Think about Steve Hutchinson after the 2005 season - he got that poison pill contract at $49M and was the trigger to how Alan Faneca got so pissed (the 2007 signings of Darnell Dockery, Lomas Brown and Eric Steinbach to similar deals - even though 2 of those guys were cut shortly after the Guaranteed $ was paid out - meaning they were **** deals.) Faneca collected less than 41% of his contract with the Jets before he was cut after two years. Would the Chiefs have released Fisher if he had not suffered a torn Achilles? Long retired in 2019 due to injuries and signed a deal 4x less than what he walked away from in 2020. KC put out a $80M deal for Joe Thuney from the Patriots - he's got a small cap hit this year but leaps up next year. As seen from names above, many times these big deals are not the best deals. For those wondering how KC is doing it, Mahomes still only counts for $7.4M vs. the cap in 2021 (less than 4%) - that number goes up to $35M in 2022, $45M in 2023, $45M in 2024. Thuney will count just under $4.5M against the cap in 2021 - then just under $20M against the cap the rest of his contract.

Bottom line, the Chiefs are throwing it all in for a win now mode - kicking the can to pay later. Not criticizing them for it, it's what the Steelers have done for years - and what caught up with them very hard.

The Ravens look at Brown and having already paid LT Ronnie Stanley who was signed to a $98M deal and will count $24M and $31M against the cap in 2021 & 2022 - anyone thinking Orlando Brown won't be targeting a similar deal (or more) is out of their mind. They also locked up Marlon Humphrey to a $97M deal and in negotiations with Lamar Jackson and will likely have to come up with $40M+ against the cap (for a QB who has yet to establish that he can throw outside the hashes consistently is kind of risky and you just cannot expect him to continue to rush for 1000 yards going forward and last either). They also have to face TE Mark Andrews impeding FA in 2022. A lot of this team's success is going to lay on the shoulders of JK Dobbins and how much he improves in year two at RB, though I respect the move up to get the RB - the OL has taken a hit in losing two critical pieces with Yanda to retirement and Brown to trading. Getting a #1 pick for someone (Brown) they won't be able to retain is not a bad idea overall - but the question will be the caliber of player they will get -- Ravens are a great drafting team and will need to be with the majority of their front 7 on Defense on the plus side of 30.

The Browns are exercising their 5th year option on Baker Mayfield. You know other QBs got that 5th year option? Jameis Winston, Blake Bortles, Marcus Mariotta, Robert Griffin III -- meaning they are not sold on him and pushing the decision off. They have plenty of other decisions to make, as Clowney is a one year deal - he won't come back for the voidable years in 2022 anymore than JuJu would for the Steelers. There is OBJ, the smartest thing they could probably do is move him and his salary, assuming anyone will be willing to take it. Garrett is signed, but Denzel Ward, Nick Chubb and the aforementioned Baker on the horizon and quick. So a RB - who usually turn out to be bad long term investments in today's NFL and a QB that you're not sold on. The Browns have a 2 year window at best.

The Bills are an interesting team - they are in negotiations with Josh Allen and again, you can bet it's in the $40M range. I'd feel more optimistic about what he can do - but he hasn't quite made me think he's the next Hall of Fame QB yet. They worked out a pretty good long term deal for CB Tre'Davious White already and have LB Tremaine Edwards next. The question is can Devlin Singletary step up at RB to be a big play RB that Allen will likely need to succeed given his style of play?

The Steelers will have extensions to work out with Fitzpatrick and Watt (currently negotiating with) and likely will do so with $100M+ deals. Watt will be first as Fitzpatrick can be pushed back another year with a 5th year option. The way teams are structuring out contracts is complicated - Agents are getting smaller cap hits earlier on while the guaranteed money is paid out, then the bigger money comes in but the cap hit is enormous - so it protects the player a little longer. Everyone is assuming 2021 is Ben's final season. Who is to say that will certainly be the case? (Hopefully it is with him walking off the field with a Lombardi) - but the Steelers will enter into that time where a young QB will be coming in and counting 2x as much as any player against the cap has veteran QBs that get that commitment do.

There has been a lot of smoke about the Bills wanting a dynamic running back in the draft (first round), specifically Etienne and this just adds more fuel.

Reactions: FSF
There has been a lot of smoke about the Bills wanting a dynamic running back in the draft (first round), specifically Etienne and this just adds more fuel.

That really makes sense for Buffalo. I see a lot of Big Ben in Allen. Not as good, but similar. Allen needs a star RB to compliment him in same way that Ben was always at his best with a great running game.

I wish we were as aggressive in trades as Ravens, I like Dobbins, but there is reason to question the Ravens OL this year

trade down with the Bills, make it happen

trade down with the Bills, make it happen
The Bills aren't going to trade with the Steelers to draft Etienne, they're going to want to jump the Steelers. The Jags, Browns, Ravens, Saints, and Packers are no threat to take a running back. The only incentive the Bills would have to trade up is if they're worried about someone jumping them.

Idk about the Chiefs. I feel if the defense can stay healthy and Ben has a strong run game. The team has a
Strong chance to make some noise. They did go 11-0 last season. Granted they were ugly wins, but regardless they were nfl wins

Great article FSF and thank you

I like the variety you put together.

Make no mistake by counting the STEELERS out of the AFC NORTH as they have as good a chance as anyone within the division. Browns window is 2 years, that's a laugher as we've been playing our window now for 4 and not missing a beat but we aren't doing anything with our window either.

I see us making noise especially if the DRAFT bears us 2 starters but a third would be worldly.

I fully agree on don't count BEN out just yet. If there is a "walk off" Lombardy then greatness will have spoken and he is gone. If no 3SBC then he might just opt another year and I'd bet the front office would go for it. I'm not saying the the right choice as we have to let this season play out before we predict anything that far out.

AGAIN,.... let the other divisional teams spend and spend high.

Salute the nation

The Bills aren't going to trade with the Steelers to draft Etienne, they're going to want to jump the Steelers. The Jags, Browns, Ravens, Saints, and Packers are no threat to take a running back. The only incentive the Bills would have to trade up is if they're worried about someone jumping them.

The Bills should be worried about the Steelers taking Etienne at 24. If he is available at that spot, I genuinely hope he is the back they target. But I think you are correct that the Bills need to move further up to get him, since I think the Dolphins at 18, not-Redskins at 19, and Jets at 23 are all very likely landing spots.

Idk about the Chiefs. I feel if the defense can stay healthy and Ben has a strong run game. The team has a
Strong chance to make some noise. They did go 11-0 last season. Granted they were ugly wins, but regardless they were nfl wins
It’s overlooked a lot, but KC was in a # of close games last year.

The Bills should be worried about the Steelers taking Etienne at 24. If he is available at that spot, I genuinely hope he is the back they target. But I think you are correct that the Bills need to move further up to get him, since I think the Dolphins at 18, not-Redskins at 19, and Jets at 23 are all very likely landing spots.
The silver lining about finishing behind some of the teams you’re competing against, getting to draft ahead of them means you can literally snag a player that they are eyeing up just.before.they.can.

It happened to us with Bengals in 2016 taking CB William Jackson III, forcing us to reach for Artie Burns - the 5th CB taken in 1st round

Between Bud & Bush, it didn't help one little bit.

Add in the fact that Randy just ******* refused to throw the ball more than 3 to 7 yards the entire last 2/3 of the season and it was a rough row.

If Harris is picked (i see Miami taking him) I think TE would be the Steelers target. There are also a couple other teams looking at RB ahead of us regardless of what Buffalo does so i don't see us getting one of the top 2.

Chiefs made some curious OL moves. I like Mahomes and don't want to see him get killed like in the SB. KC at best has no OL depth. At worst they still need a couple pieces.

Browns should be alright for awhile and if Jackson doesn't progress the Ravens are going to fall.

I can't see Buffalo moving up 13 picks to Las Vegas' spot to grab Etienne if they're trying to get in front of Miami. That's going to cost allot but if he's there at 23 where the Jets are, that makes a little more sense. I don't think the Jets are going running back in round 1. Jets are miles away and need as many day one and two players as possible not to mention they have a couple years to round out their offense with a top RB. Can't imagine the Jets leaping over the Bills and Dolphins anytime soon. I know the Bills are in the same division but if I'm in the Jets shoes, I'm grabing as many early picks as possible in 2021 and 2022.

if the Fish dont take a RB at 18, the next most likely team to pick a RB would be the Jets, just before us.
So if the Fish take Najee, that would leave Etienne on the board - in my best Coach voice

the Bills most likely dance partners would be Washington or Chicago. I doubt the Bills can get the Jets to trade spots anymore than we could get any team in the AFC North to trade spots. Tennessee would likely ask for more than market value, considering the same conference.

Here's a random thought, Bridgewater going to Denver means they're definitely in the hunt for a certain QB that they think is going to be around. Let Teddy take the starting QB position until the rookie is ready, trade Drew Lock for whatever they can get.