• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

JUSTIN FIELDS

You should know that. It's already been tested.
At worst Rudolph is an average QB.

Him winning the last 3, then losing in the playoffs pretty much tells the story.
We've got a lot of other concerns besides QB.
Well, the offence did not play against the Bill like they played against the other 3 teams. They went back to small ball Tomlin' style of offence, not winning offence. They were just happy getting into the playoffs and gave up on winning!

We do not have the draft capital to give up

38 fumbles is hard to believe. NFL.com has him with 38 fumbles. 15 are listed as rushing fumbles which leaves 23 fumbles while passing. Are these bad snaps? Are these botched read option exchanges?

It's still not good but I have a feeling that 38 includes a bunch that weren't really his fault.

I would not trade a 2 for Fields. I'd consider it for a 3rd because he does have an elite skillset and that would be worth the gamble there. Also consider, they may be able to get a 3rd if they traded Kenny. If you trade for Fields or another vet starter, then I think you have to trade Kenny.
Now look at the bad on Rudolph. If a bunch werent his fault either it sure makes him look good.

All the chatter has the Bears taking Caleb Momma's Boy #1 overall, thus making Justin Fields expendable.
The chatter has a 2nd round pick as the minimum ask in trade.
He's on the final year of his contract, or his 5th year can be picked up for about 25 million.
He is a year younger than Kenny, and is unequivocally more athletic, both with feet and arm strength.
He showed much improvement this last year, too.

If I'm the Steelers, I'm at least contemplating this.
If we can have him for a 2nd rounder, that has me seriously considering pulling the trigger.
I mean, hell, throw in Trubisky. They need a veteran QB since they only have Bagent and Peterman.
Let him come full circle with his QB career and wash our hands of him.

Minimal risk for a potential HUGE reward for us.
If I'm the Bears I'm keeping Fields and drafting Marvin Harrison Jr., but they're the Bears.

What say you?
Any interest in Fields for a 2nd?

No. The Steelers already have Warren & Harris in the stable of running backs and so i don't see a real roster spot for him.

Gave some real thought to Fields. I gave him as a 3rd-4th value. I know that ain't getting him at least early in the process. But that's value I have on him. So you get him. You either give him 20 million for 2025 guarenteed or you might piss away your trade capital as he could leave after 2024 unless you put a tag on him (which on a QB would be insane). And if you give him the option you might as well cut KP.
I'd rather overpay Rudolph with starter escalators.

Well, the offence did not play against the Bill like they played against the other 3 teams. They went back to small ball Tomlin' style of offence, not winning offence. They were just happy getting into the playoffs and gave up on winning!
They only gave up on winning by choosing to try to not lose, just Like Tomlin ALWAYS DOES.

Play scared and don’t give up 30+ points ……….. oops.

No way would I give anything above a 5th for a one year reclamation project. That would be like drafting a player in the 2nd - 4th round then cut them after their first year. Absolutely stupid move either way.

Now if you could get him for a 3rd AND sign him to a NEW 4-5 year $$$ friendly deal with MAJOR incentives, I would consider it. Might not do it anyway, but would consider it.

Ideally I would like my team to succeed with homegrown individuals. There is something to be said about that. Goes with all the great pittsburgh teams. Yep I know, I am spoiled

Harrison, Bettis the exceptions..

Identify. Instill. No one's retreads,

Last edited:
interesting take on Caleb. Everyone compares QBs who extend plays to Mahomes. The difference is Mahomes is primarily a pocket passer who makes quick reads and the mobility is plan B. Most other "mobile" QBs run around as Plan A and that's a problem in the NFL.

I don’t think the players gave up, until they actually seen the play-out of the Tomlin Turtle Ball. The players know the difference, hellA, even us fat / stoned / drunk / blind / or all the above……… know the difference.

Even our boy Art 2 sees the difference and I think he is taking somewhat, some action in behind the doors talks action. I think the “extension“ is taking longer than normal as there is some wording & jockeying going on so as to be able to cut ties for either, if that comes to front.

I’m guessing you, like myself are ****-ing sick of this product of mediocrely that the STEELERS so desperately hang onto.

I’d welcome change, for better or worse but change none the less.

Salute the nation

That and they were playing an actual playoff team, not the 31st and 30th ranked defenses in Cincy and Seattle, and Baltimore's JV team.

interesting take on Caleb. Everyone compares QBs who extend plays to Mahomes. The difference is Mahomes is primarily a pocket passer who makes quick reads and the mobility is plan B. Most other "mobile" QBs run around as Plan A and that's a problem in the NFL.

Right. Media is too imbecilic to understand that there isnt just two types of QBs.. mobile or pocket passers... guys who have pass first instincts but the ability to extend plays arent the same as the LJs and Kordells of the QB world

Also... I think its laughable that the media is pushing a first or second pick for Fields... draft value fades quickly... Trey lance, who still can be a good qb, went to Dallas for a fourth... and he had oodles more initial value than fields...

Fields certainly has value, but his contract situation and performance to date seriously kneecaps that value...

Also... I think its laughable that the media is pushing a first or second pick for Fields... draft value fades quickly... Trey lance, who still can be a good qb, went to Dallas for a fourth... and he had oodles more initial value than fields...

Fields certainly has value, but his contract situation and performance to date seriously kneecaps that value...
Not that I'm pushing for Fields, but are you talking about the same Trey Lance that couldn't beat out Jimmy G. and Mr. Irrelevant? He may have had more initial value, but his absolute failure in SF brings that down in my opinion.
That said, I wouldn't part with more than a 3rd for Fields and I wouldn't part with that if my team's headquarters was on S. Water St., Pittsburgh PA.

i'd seen a mock where we traded our first for Fields and a 3rd from the Bears.

problem with that is - first round picks can get a 5 year contract initially. so it helps the team and the cap by hitting a homerun.
Fields will be a one-year rental at worst.

so - with that in mind, he's not worth a first.

The thing I don’t understand is this. Why is Fields a “Franchise” QB that the Steelers just have to trade for, yet not one for Da Bears To keep on their team?
I'd say it's because the Bears have the number 1 pick in the draft and can bring in the newer, flashier (but unproven) model whereas the Steelers having the number 20 pick it's out of their budget so they have to settle for a second hand model, or go low budget if they want a QB straight out of the showroom.

Its not like the Bears other high pick, failed starting QB was even worthwhile as a FA.....why does anyone think Fields is worth even a 2nd when the Bears only reason for moving him is that he is not good enough for the worst team in the league?

Its not like the Bears other high pick, failed starting QB was even worthwhile as a FA.....why does anyone think Fields is worth even a 2nd when the Bears only reason for moving him is that he is not good enough for the worst team in the league?

The bigger question is why a turnover-phobic mike tomlin would want a guy who has 30 picks and 38 fumbles in 38 starts....

This is absolutely a fan and media driven narrative

A turnover machine. But will Tomlin sing strawberry fields forever? He loves a running qb, doesn't he?

The bigger question is why a turnover-phobic mike tomlin would want a guy who has 30 picks and 38 fumbles in 38 starts....

This is absolutely a fan and media driven narrative

Yep and it's ridiculous. I'd probably put in agent driven too. It's their job to make the client look great and just in a bad situation beyond their control.

I have zero faith that the Steelers coaching staff can develop a qb. They've done well with edge rushers, that's about it.

I have zero faith that the Steelers coaching staff can develop a qb. They've done well with edge rushers, that's about it.
Exactly!
Why try to develop one with an incapable staff, when you can, for little more than a song and a dance, sign a very experienced Pro Bowl caliper, playoff hardened, Super Bowl experienced capable QB?

That's what I call an opportunity just staring at you in the face...

Exactly!
Why try to develop one with an incapable staff, when you can, for little more than a song and a dance, sign a very experienced Pro Bowl caliper, playoff hardened, Super Bowl experienced capable QB?

That's pretty much the only route they can go until we get a new staff. I still don't think they they could gameplan their way into a superbowl championship.

I suppose Russell Wilson could do ok with a power running game and great OL. Which is still only partway done.

That's pretty much the only route they can go until we get a new staff. I still don't think they they could gameplan their way into a superbowl championship.

I suppose Russell Wilson could do ok with a power running game and great OL. Which is still only partway done.
Yes---I would almost guarantee he would do better than OK!
MSGA!

Well it is the Bears, a team that paid the 32nd pick for Claypuff

so maybe they figure Fields is equivalent to Claypuff so a 2nd is a fair asking price, still lmao about that deal