• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ranking Our Assets

deljzc

Reaction score
Not sure if everyone here follows Dale Lolley's blog about the Steelers, but he is ranking the top-25 players currently on the Steelers roster.

I decided to throw my own thoughts on this and rank the Steelers current ASSETS (which means trade value, skill, age, potential, on-field performance, etc.). Here is my list:

B. Roethlisberger
A. Brown
C. Heyward
D. DeCastro
L. Timmons
T. Polamalu
J. Worilds
M. Pouncey
L. Bell
R. Shazier*
M. Mitchell
H. Miller
C. Allen
S. Tuitt*
J. Jones
K. Beachum
I. Taylor
L. Blount
M. Wheaton
L. Moore
R. Foster
M. Gilbert
W. Gay
D. Archer*
S. McLendon
M. Adams
B. Gradkowski
S. Suisham
C. Thomas
A. Moats
S. Thomas
M. Bryant*
W. Johnson

That is 33 playrs, 16 offense, 15 defense, 2 special teams (counting Archer as a special teamer). Often the deciding factor to me as I got lower on the list was the question "How much trade value could I get for X player, or how much would they get as a free agent next off-season?". Rookies are marked with an asterisk.

Comments/discussion welcome.

Hard to argue with any of this list, so I'll ask a few questions.

Do you have Heyward over DeCastro because of production or importance of position?

Again with Worilds, with only a half seasons worth of high production, is it because he plays a premium position?

Shazier has a high starting point for you. Where do you see him by the end of the year?

Hard to argue with any of this list, so I'll ask a few questions.

Do you have Heyward over DeCastro because of production or importance of position?

Again with Worilds, with only a half seasons worth of high production, is it because he plays a premium position?

Shazier has a high starting point for you. Where do you see him by the end of the year?

Given the roster depth/talent level we have right now, doesn't Shazier have to step up and be a full-time starter by the end of the year? I would think that's why he has to start so high on the list without having played a down yet. Anything less and we're screwed.

Same with Tuitt. The FO put a lot of eggs in the basket on the defensive side of the ball. Big gamble on whether we can get immediate value from those guys. It could be a spectacular failure or a spectacular success.

I guess my thinking is we could get a 1st round pick for Shazier right now, correct? And probably a 2nd round pick for Tuitt?

Could we get that for Mitchell, Miller or Allen? Probably not close really, so while I understand the unknown quality of the rookies above, there is also some value to the asset because of the unknown as well. That's partly why I have J. Jones above Beachem too. From pure football only, Beachum has probably done more on the field, but it's hard to think Beachem would get more back in trade than a former 1st round pick one year removed from the draft (and not injured).

Given the roster depth/talent level we have right now, doesn't Shazier have to step up and be a full-time starter by the end of the year? I would think that's why he has to start so high on the list without having played a down yet. Anything less and we're screwed.

By the end of the year? He's running as a starter right now.

Not sure if everyone here follows Dale Lolley's blog about the Steelers, but he is ranking the top-25 players currently on the Steelers roster.

I decided to throw my own thoughts on this and rank the Steelers current ASSETS (which means trade value, skill, age, potential, on-field performance, etc.).

based on that criteria shazier would have to be top 2-3. he was just a top 15 pick. I doubt we get a top 15 pick for anyone on our team not named big ben

I decided to throw my own thoughts on this and rank the Steelers current ASSETS (which means trade value, skill, age, potential, on-field performance, etc.).

based on that criteria shazier would have to be top 2-3. he was just a top 15 pick. I doubt we get a top 15 pick for anyone on our team not named big ben

Not sure I agree with that. Future 1st round picks are always dicey to trade away. Who would you give next year's first round pick away for? Kyle Fuller? Eric Ebron? Calvin Pryor?

I also think Heyward and DeCastro could get 1st round picks back if salary wasn't involved. And I think A. Brown could get a 1st round pick back because his salary is very good value right now.

I did the best I could.

We need... I mean need to ink Heyward long term right now... we are getting screwed letting all these guys reach free agency and paying full market value for them.... His price is only going to go up... lock him in while there is incentive on his side to do so