• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Realistic FA options

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Here is the FA field to choose from. Right from the get go, we have to decide on what kind of FA QB is likely. I say the "writing in on the wall" and they are not going to bring in a FA QB who will provide a reall threat to Kenny; they have made all the signs that they will treat Kenny with kid gloves. They say one thing like "Kenny is gonna have to compete for the job" but then say other things like "We feel Kenny is still the man for the job." That means no Cousins or any high priced vet QBs. I think even Tannehill would be too much a threat to Kenny.

I also don't see them signing any big name RBs, they feel comfortable with Najee and Warren. There are a few OC (Connor Williams) and ILBs (Devin White) they could consider though.

I really always liked Devin White and had wished when we drafted Bushy we had tried to move up further to get White.
Don’t know what he’d want but would definitely be an upgrade. So would Patrick Queen if the Rats don’t re-sign him.

QB: Two guys under contract - KP8 and MT10. I would like to assume MT10 will be cut for performance and dollars so we are looking at needing 2. Hopefully MR2 returns, but I am not convinced he wants to return. If not, we will need an experienced vet. Brissett as Madinsomiac mentioned. Not sure what Huntley will draw, but certainly an interesting player. Not a lot of other options out there...maybe you kick the tires on Winston, but his inconsistency scares me. Maybe Bridegwater though I admit have not watched him play in a while. For 3rd string, crazy as it sounds, i would be okay with a career backup FA (dealers choice) because I don't want to spend draft capital on a 3rd string qb.

Punter: anyone not named Harvin.

WR: pretty decent list to pick up a vet fa WR. I would think a slot guy would be ideal, but I also assume we are drafting at least one WR in mid rounds so don't think we are locked in there. I do think spending some money here for the third receiver is prudent and I don't want a locker room coach. Give me someone who can produce some numbers on the field or at least move the sticks on those weighty possession downs.

ILB: I think we are better served getting FA ILB rather than draft. Hopefully Hulc coming back but I would spend some money for White or Queen in a heartbeat. lower tier maybe guys like William Gay Jr. or simply bring back Kwon (health permitting).

I suspect we will also poke the Safety and DL market in FA and see what kind of value we can get. My guess is CB and OT may be too expensive in FA. Maybe an OC, but I don't know most of the guys on the FA list at center. Besides, there seem to be a couple in the draft we might get a shot at.

But before anything falls out, need to see who teams are able to resign and who makes it to the FA pool. First two weeks of March will be fun to watch around the league.

Ya know I think Mason returns to the Steelers.This is the only team he’s ever been part of in the league, knows the players, coaches, surroundings, etc. call it a comfort level.
We are the only organization that wanted him last year and that has to count for something.
And I think this is his best shot to start in the league with the uncertainty of Kenny.
Cut Mitch and offer that contract to Mason plus bonus incentives.
Hell, he may beat out Kenny for the job in the summer

I would try hard to re-sign MR, with MT’s money. Worst case scenario is that MR settles in as the QB2. Maybe he actually pushes KP to being a better QB, something that obviously MT wasn’t capable of doing.

I would try hard to re-sign MR, with MT’s money. Worst case scenario is that MR settles in as the QB2. Maybe he actually pushes KP to being a better QB, something that obviously MT wasn’t capable of doing.

I can easily agree with you on this, but my concern is locker room supporting who?

The entire team got behind Mason, to a BIG degree and I might have a concern when Mason is buried again and not equally given a chance.

I’m neither a Mason or a Kenny hugger or hater, just want best player on the field. The Franchise appears to be forcing “franchise” into KP8, like it or not.

Salute the nation

Tannyhill shouldn't command much plus he has ties to the new OC. I wouldn't be shocked if he is signed if Rudy doesn't return.
Yeah, I can’t see Tannyhill getting more than what the Steelers were willing to pay Trubisky last year, especially with starter level options available.

For 3rd string, crazy as it sounds, i would be okay with a career backup FA (dealers choice) because I don't want to spend draft capital on a 3rd string qb.

The 49ers used draft capital to take a 3rd string QB, he’ll be starting in the Super Bowl this Sunday.

I’m surprised Tua’s little brother isn’t rated higher. I wouldn’t mind the Steelers using a mid-late round pick on him.

Kinda believe we'll move Dropson this off-season. He's got one year left on his contract and isnt exactly the type we'll extend/resign again. Tee Higgins with Pickens would be a pipe dream, so we can rule that out. I believe we'd go for someone like Ridley (expecting Higgins to re-team with Goldilocks in Jacksonville). Which would obviously mean we take Brian Thomas from LSU in the first, since we have a hard-on for 1st round WRs. Though Khan may buck that trend.

Ideally, I'd like to see us take JPJ or Van Pran or Frazier in the 2nd round of the draft, but if we can snag Connor Williams, that would work as well. One name to watch for would be Matt Hennessey coming from Atlanta with our new OC.

I’m neither a Mason or a Kenny hugger or hater, just want best player on the field. The Franchise appears to be forcing “franchise” into KP8, like it or not.
Right. If the reason they’re sticking with KP is “Well, we used a 1st round pick on him” that’s trying to make a bad investment a good one by throwing more into it.

I’m all for giving KP new competition and a chip on his shoulder.

Right. If the reason they’re sticking with KP is “Well, we used a 1st round pick on him” that’s trying to make a bad investment a good one by throwing more into it.

I’m all for giving KP new competition and a chip on his shoulder.
I am quite sure he already has a chip on his shoulder. He played very well in the first game after Canada was fired played pretty well in the cards game with70% completions until the bad play he was hurt on. Everyone is totally discounting all of that and ******** on him now. I am sure that is more than enough to motivate him. I never have questioned his work ethic anyway. I think he will be fine with the new OC.

The 49ers used draft capital to take a 3rd string QB, he’ll be starting in the Super Bowl this Sunday.

I’m surprised Tua’s little brother isn’t rated higher. I wouldn’t mind the Steelers using a mid-late round pick on him.
I get that, but that is rare. Even if we found it, my belief is said 3rd stringer would be kept ont he bench by HCMT while KP8 continues to get his shot.

I am quite sure he already has a chip on his shoulder. He played very well in the first game after Canada was fired played pretty well in the cards game with70% completions until the bad play he was hurt on. Everyone is totally discounting all of that and ******** on him now. I am sure that is more than enough to motivate him. I never have questioned his work ethic anyway. I think he will be fine with the new OC.
I hope you’re right as that would be the best case scenario, especially if they don’t bring in any real competition. But he had 3 good games, 3 OK games and 6 bad games. Two of the good games were WITH Canada so you can’t blame everything on him.

The Franchise appears to be forcing “franchise” into KP8, like it or not.

Salute the nation
This is what happens when you invest in a 1st round pick. It happens with all high Draft Picks. They are going to try to make that pick work no matter what, just like Bush before him.

I am really trying hard not to lock in on one guy this early, but I keep going back to JPJ. Just feels like a Steeler through and through.
Arr you looking to draft Joey Porter 2 again? Wouldn’t that be a waste of Draft capital?🤣

I hope you’re right as that would be the best case scenario, especially if they don’t bring in any real competition. But he had 3 good games, 3 OK games and 6 bad games. Two of the good games were WITH Canada so you can’t blame everything on him.
Sure you can, if it advances your agenda.

Things that give me reason for optimism; His rookie year 4th quarter ratings and performance under pressure ratings, his propensity for comebacks and late game heroics until later this season, his 7-2 record this year in games started and completed. His ability to not turn over the ball, although to a large degree it also is what hindered his ability or willingness to throw over the middle and deep until late in games.
I think that coaching is what has caused his issues with not throwing a lot of TDs in that he was so brainwashed to avoid turnovers that it caused him to regress and become tentative in his reads in the middle of the field. There is a fine line between playing smart and playing scared, the lack of a cohesive NFL level scheme caused him to overthink throws in the middle even when open. Hopefully we can get this out of his head.

Just off the top of my head, I would look at bargain free agents like Mike Gesicki (we cannot rely on only one pass-catching TE in Arthur Smith's system) and maybe look to add to the CB room with a reasonable FA like Steven Nelson. He has done nothing but overperform since he left here at a much lower wage than we gave him, but ultimately could'nt afford. He was paid roughly 8.5 million per season for us and then was a cap casualty due to the poor cap planning, went to Philly on a one-year >2mil deal and then to the Texans for >4.5mil per season on a two year deal. Now again he may be worth 5-7mil per season but would give us time in case we miss on a top CB this year. We gave Levi Wallace 4mil per year and Nelson is worth the extra 2mil imo.

Cut Mitch and offer that contract to Mason plus bonus incentives.
Hell, he may beat out Kenny for the job in the summer
Deuce actually came out and spoke highly of Kenny, that's all a fake QB competition coming up if I ever heard of one. They even actually said "QB competition" just to say it as if it's going to exist. But then days later, the new OC speaks only of Kenny when it comes to working with QBs. Art's personal pet QB is still in play. And if Kenny pulls off some more 13-9 wins, then strap in, he's gonna be active #1 for a while., regardless of averaging 1/2 a TD a game, a 30-something QB rating or almost as many ints as TDs. All that being said, Kenny the "China doll" will likely get hurt and miss games.

Reactions: xjx