• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Realistic FA options

I get that fans would want him the talent is there. Just my personal wants in the draft has always gone back to if they have a strike I knock them down a round ,two two rounds. In the process someone else picks them sobeit.

Now this approach probably should be altered as you don't have to pay these enormous rookie contracts like days of old. Still being right over wrong can swim or sink a season in certain situations.

You really hope to knock those first round picks out of the park.
I get where you are coming from, I just happen to think my approach is a bit more realistic though.
In a perfect world your “one strike” requires them to go to round 2, and so on, would be great. That’s not how it works though. I believe we can agree that Mims is likely the #4 OT as of right now. Even with his “strikes” he will be gone for sure by pick 52, Possibly by pick 20. Not because he is a sure fired player with no liabilities, but because he is the #4 OT in a game where those are required pieces. I he were #20 OT with a strike or two, sure he would most likely be there in round 3-4.

That’s not how it works though.
They might not give it a name or action but the players that fall from their perceived value aren't teams in a sense giving them a strike due to whatever?

I agree on his value just prefer not to draft this guy at 20.

I also heard he got hurt the other day? The degree of that will need to be looked at as well.

They might not give it a name or action but the players that fall from their perceived value aren't teams in a sense giving them a strike due to whatever?

I agree on his value just prefer not to draft this guy at 20.

I also heard he got hurt the other day? The degree of that will need to be looked at as well.
Said a hammy, maybe it causes him to slide, but don’t think enough to get to 52.

My thinking is doesn’t matter what the pick number is, it’s your pick, get who you want/need. If they work out, do you really ***** about someone else maybe picking them at 28? I don’t.

My draft plan is still:
Round 1 - Mims (Only if) nobody has taken a Center, otherwise I take the a Center. Center is a bigger priority than OT, but I want both early if I can pull it off. Would even be willing to try and move up early in the 2nd to get BOTH.

Round 2 - if all 3 Centers are still in play at 33, I try to trade into the 30’s and take one. If I can’t go get #1 Center, then I take one of the top 3 at 52. Otherwise I am taking a WR or DL

Round 3 - Try to move up and get a DL or ILB or WR or CB

Round 4 - now is when I start considering a QB. Also looking for the WR, DL, CB, ILB

From here on out BPA

Said a hammy, maybe it causes him to slide, but don’t think enough to get to 52.

My thinking is doesn’t matter what the pick number is, it’s your pick, get who you want/need. If they work out, do you really ***** about someone else maybe picking them at 28? I don’t.

My draft plan is still:
Round 1 - Mims (Only if) nobody has taken a Center, otherwise I take the a Center. Center is a bigger priority than OT, but I want both early if I can pull it off. Would even be willing to try and move up early in the 2nd to get BOTH.

Round 2 - if all 3 Centers are still in play at 33, I try to trade into the 30’s and take one. If I can’t go get #1 Center, then I take one of the top 3 at 52. Otherwise I am taking a WR or DL

Round 3 - Try to move up and get a DL or ILB or WR or CB

Round 4 - now is when I start considering a QB. Also looking for the WR, DL, CB, ILB

From here on out BPA

I take BPA from the start. At this point free agency should have softened every glaring need.

I do prefer a C early but I am all about the BPA right out of the gates. Unless they want to trade up or down and I am ok with that.

I take BPA from the start. At this point free agency should have softened every glaring need.

I do prefer a C early but I am all about the BPA right out of the gates. Unless they want to trade up or down and I am ok with that.
Different strategies, though I wouldn’t say that you are wrong.

My take is that the Draft is for the future irrespective of how FA has unfolded to that point. If you are building for the future, your early picks could help now.

FA is about the team NOW. It really should not affected by your Draft strategy. Unless you fill a hole with a young stud, I don’t pass on drafting the same spot.

Different strategies, though I wouldn’t say that you are wrong.

My take is that the Draft is for the future irrespective of how FA has unfolded to that point. If you are building for the future, your early picks could help now.

FA is about the team NOW. It really should not affected by your Draft strategy. Unless you fill a hole with a young stud, I don’t pass on drafting the same spot.
I agree I wouldn't pass on C, if I brought in a C. Or a QB if I brought in a QB. Ditto CB.

I think we are close to being on the same page.

I agree I wouldn't pass on C, if I brought in a C. Or a QB if I brought in a QB. Ditto CB.

I think we are close to being on the same page.
We are close, but I always look to fill holes first

I'm right there with ya
Fill holes through free agency
ALWAYS go BPA in the draft
this is the way

By approaching roster construction this way you can up the overall talent level of the team
Drafting for need is like trying to fix past mistakes you force yourself to acquire more players of lesser talent
you can't fix past mistakes, but you can sure as hell try not to repeat them

this would be my draft strategy every year

On the very seldom occasion where something unforeseen happens and you have 2-3 players with nearly the exact same grade, then sure, add need into the drafting equation in that rare occurence.

Wow. They really wanted him gone at all costs.
He has been locker room cancer at both of his last 2 teams by all accounts
Cancer must be removed, cut it out...do whatever ya have to do
I will 100 quit rooting for this team if they knowingly step up and say...yeah we want some of that cancer

He has been locker room cancer at both of his last 2 teams by all accounts
Cancer must be removed, cut it out...do whatever ya have to do
I will 100 quit rooting for this team if they knowingly step up and say...yeah we want some of that cancer

That's what I've figured. You don't get booted from two teams like that.
I think the cost savings of $39 million might have had something to do with it.

85 million in dead money between the next two years. A record. Bravo Bears.

That's what I've figured. You don't get booted from two teams like that.

85 million in dead money between the next two years. A record. Bravo Bears.
Broncos, but yeah $85 million and they avoided spending another $37 million (not $39) guaranteed by releasing him. Whoever put that deal together needs to be fired.

I'm right there with ya
Fill holes through free agency
ALWAYS go BPA in the draft
this is the way

By approaching roster construction this way you can up the overall talent level of the team
Drafting for need is like trying to fix past mistakes you force yourself to acquire more players of lesser talent
you can't fix past mistakes, but you can sure as hell try not to repeat them

this would be my draft strategy every year

On the very seldom occasion where something unforeseen happens and you have 2-3 players with nearly the exact same grade, then sure, add need into the drafting equation in that rare occurence.
It's one of the reasons the Steelers knocked it out of the park last season. It was the most common sense draft they've had in years.

Back to UFAs, I saw a lot saying former Dolphins ILB Jerome Baker makes sense. Former team captain, Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee, and productive player on the field. This sounds like the type of player you want in the locker room. Take the same approach last year and stack 3-4 deep at ILB with shrewd UFA signings.

I want them to attack safety as well. We didn't express interest in Whitehead last time, but I really like that fit for our defense.

Considering they don't have a center and Aaron Brewer's name has been brought up in connection with Arthur Smith, you figure they'll be making a move at center. I'm not convinced Tomlin values the position since outside of Pouncey they've had guys like Mahan, Hartwig, Green, and Cole starting.

I doubt they'll spend the money, but finding a big upgrade at slot corner with Kenny Moore would be a nice addition as well.

Broncos, but yeah $85 million and they avoided spending another $37 million (not $39) guaranteed by releasing him. Whoever put that deal together needs to be fired.

And some fans want to bring him to the Steelers. Well from what I've read today, they don't have any interest in Wilson,Fields,Cousins or Mayfield.

Thank god.

I see Chuks is signing with the cheats.

Just saw this floating around twitter.....

Last edited:
If the Giants cut Daniel Jones, I'd go after him. He is a perfect fit for Smith's system. Jones has shown flashes of real potential. The Giants OL has been awful and they have no WRs. He's been in a tough spot. He's mobile and could come cheap on a prove it deal.

If the Giants cut Daniel Jones, I'd go after him. He is a perfect fit for Smith's system. Jones has shown flashes of real potential. The Giants OL has been awful and they have no WRs. He's been in a tough spot. He's mobile and could come cheap on a prove it deal.
That sounds like a "Steeler deal." And it would give them easy opportunity to claim "hey we tried" and keep Kenny as starter. I don't think Daniel is a "legit" NFL QB starter. He is more of a backup. But Kenny is as well, IF that.

On a cheap prove it deal sure
Think that is the primary qualification for Kenny’s vet competition…or should be

Let’s see if the Giants Rudolph can be better than our Rudolph since our Rudy likely ain’t coming back

Looks like the Jags are getting Mac Jones for a 6th rounder. So looks like the cheats will be definitely picking a QB in 1. We can chalk them in when figuring out who is doing what...

Looks like the Jags are getting Mac Jones for a 6th rounder. So looks like the cheats will be definitely picking a QB in 1. We can chalk them in when figuring out who is doing what...
Two very different QB options for Washington at No. 2, so we'll see if it'll be Daniels or Maye that falls to 3.

Russ would look great as a Patriot

Two very different QB options for Washington at No. 2, so we'll see if it'll be Daniels or Maye that falls to 3.
I think it will be Maye who falls. I think his production could leave that slimmer of a wonder...