• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Redskins lose their trademark

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
So when the conservatives take over from the libs next time would it be OK to say Planned Parenthood is offensive and force them to change their name?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There is a ton of age discrimination in this league. I don't see many 50yos playing. That **** has to stop.

and handicapped *******. how many one-armed QBs do we have? or one-handed WRs? or LBs with no hands?
or pregnant running backs? or transsexual centers?
someone must DO something!

ark steel

Reaction score
and handicapped *******. how many one-armed QBs do we have? or one-handed WRs? or LBs with no hands?
or pregnant running backs? or transsexual centers?
someone must DO something!

The Steelers are at the forefront of this movement. We have a CB with no thumbs.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
ec

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers are at the forefront of this movement. We have a CB with no thumbs.

incorrect. Ike has four feet. two of which are on the ends of his wrists.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
He doesnt have to change the name, but losing the patent is basically the kiss of death. Everyone could use the likeness/name of the team with no consequence. His legal team will have to appeal this, but they appear to have limited reputable claims. The argument of "we've had the name for sooo long" wont cut it...

I think its funny how, being that none of us are Redskin fans, many of you are seemingly getting your panties in a bind over this. Sure, its not as blatant as the DC "Darkies", but its still offensive to several Native Americans. Enough that they have started raising awareness funds and creating commercials in protest of the NFL and the name. What gives you the right to tell people not to be offended? What civil liberties are being taken away from you? From what I understand, they havent outlawed you from calling someone a 'Redskin' if that's what gets you going.

And for those too dense to understand why it hasnt been changed over the years- Snyder could give a damn about freedom of speech, Political Correctness, etc. He cares about $$... The amount that he could potentially lose by having to rebrand his team with another team name could be substanial. That billionaire couldnt give one damn about your political agenda.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Used to be a patent or trademark meant something in this country. Really don't give a rats *** about the Redskins but am more than a bit concerned about government over reach when a private company doesn't lock step with their way of thinking. Just my opinion but I think this country has more pressing issues to deal with than this.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly think white people are more offended than anyone. Liberals have white people going out of their way to prove they aren't racists. I am not sure why, but these days, if a minority isn't offended by somethng, white folks will be sure to be offended for you.

The governemnt doesn't need to be involved here. If it is truly that offensive to such a large swath of people, the market will correct it. Yes, it takes a little longer, but it works. I know most people want satisfaction right now regardless of the issue, but the more you invite government into your daily life, the less freedom you have.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I honestly think white people are more offended than anyone. Liberals have white people going out of their way to prove they aren't racists. I am not sure why, but these days, if a minority isn't offended by somethng, white folks will be sure to be offended for you.

The governemnt doesn't need to be involved here. If it is truly that offensive to such a large swath of people, the market will correct it. Yes, it takes a little longer, but it works. I know most people want satisfaction right now regardless of the issue, but the more you invite government into your daily life, the less freedom you have.

Breh, what arent you understanding?

The government HAD to get involved to for the sake of approving the patent of the name itself. This aint some laissez faire situation, where we can sit back and let the market dictate a price. This is a situation where the government had to decide whether or not they could legally provide patent protection over a potentially degrading term. You think that you could patent a team by the name of the Kansas City 'Retards'? Absolutely not, because the government WILL NOT provide patent protection if it deems a term derogatory or hurtful- has always been the case.

Remember- they arent making him change the name.

Vincent

@#$% the 'narrative'
Reaction score
My advise to those offended by the Redskin brand is to not attend Redskin games or watch them on TV. Or better, emigrate.

Wizards is a poor choice of name for a team from a city as vacuous as Washington. Another imposition on free men by the clodpates of the left.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
The Fighting Irish and Seminoles are next. Our government sucks fermented pig vomit. It's a big frigging waste of time. The PC crowd are the biggest bunch of pansies on the planet. Everything offends them.This country needs to get it's head out of it's ***. I'd keep the name and tell them to piss off...btw my great grandmother on my fathers fathers side was nearly full Cherokee though i have clearly taken after the Germans&Hungarians in the family.

Last edited:

Hineswardkickedurpanzyass

Reaction score
The Fighting Irish and Seminoles are next. Our government sucks fermented pig vomit. It's a big ******* waste of time. The PC crowd are the biggest bunch of pansies on the planet. Everything offends them. I'd keep the name and tell them to piss off.

Easy for you to say, I AM Irish and the Fighting Irish name is very offensive to me. I sometimes cry myself to sleep because a bunch of guys 5 states away from me have a logo of an Irish brother of mine with his dukes up on their jersey. This name has caused emotional duress, and since my great great great great Uncle who I never met but heard a story about one time was an endentured servant, I am now going to demand reparations from Notre Dame. Someone pass me a bottle of Jamieson before I drive to South Bend and start a ruckus.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They did not lose their mark. They still have copyright and trademark. They lost the circle-r registered. Under the Lanham Act the Patent Office sez you can't make money with a disparaging trademark.

What it means is that the term Washington Redskins is no longer presupposed to be owned by that team and they'd have to fight for it in court, no longer qualify for damages and the like.

No, you cannot freely make money printing their jerseys and selling them. That is still an illegal violation of both their trademark and copyright. They would just have to sue you now, as opposed to simply sending a C and D letter.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I see lots of people on TV equating Redskin to the N word. Anybody who says that has already proven themselves wrong by saying the word Redskin and then saying N word.

Next time somebody tells you that Redskins is the same as the N word, just ask "Then why didn't you just say R Word?"

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Breh, what arent you understanding?

The government HAD to get involved to for the sake of approving the patent of the name itself. This aint some laissez faire situation, where we can sit back and let the market dictate a price. This is a situation where the government had to decide whether or not they could legally provide patent protection over a potentially degrading term. You think that you could patent a team by the name of the Kansas City 'Retards'? Absolutely not, because the government WILL NOT provide patent protection if it deems a term derogatory or hurtful- has always been the case.

Remember- they arent making him change the name.

And the resident board "that's racists" representative just keeps going. Talk about going to the extremes... Washington Darkies? Kansas City Retards? Neither of these are even remotely CLOSE to Redskins. The Government didn't HAVE to get involved. They were pressured to get involved by a SMALL group of offended people. We are starting to cater to that small groups that get offended by the tiniest little things and it's getting out of hand.

This is how today's world works now. You have 98 people that like pizza, 2 people that are offended by pizza. The government decides that we can't have these people offended by pizza so they get involved. Now everyone is afraid to let people know that they like pizza. The media jumps on the story stating that they've always hated pizza and it's about time the government got involved to rid this world of the evil pizza. Now no one can have pizza.

You saw this very thing with the Michael Sam situation. We MUST accept gay people, fine no problem. But don't say ANYTHING about how YOU can't understand how there are gay people or that you don't agree with being gay... now you are the outcast, you have to issue apologies, you have to take down tweets or instagrams, or whatever media you chose to use to air YOUR opinions. There's no more freedom of speech, there are no civil rights. It's all political correct bullshit.

Are you offended by the name Redskins? Are you allowing a word hurt your feelings? Grow a pair and deal with that instead of falling in line with the "everything must change so I'm not offended" crowd.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
I see lots of people on TV equating Redskin to the N word. Anybody who says that has already proven themselves wrong by saying the word Redskin and then saying N word.

Next time somebody tells you that Redskins is the same as the N word, just ask "Then why didn't you just say R Word?"

Because the "R word" isn't Redskin. It's Retard. Can't have more than one "offensive" R word.....

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Moved because I have a feeling it's gonna get ugly.....

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see any slurs in that list. Pirates? Really? Cap'n Crunch is a dead man! There is pressure but they can't force anything...lost trademark that nobody can use anyway.
Absolutely. Why can't someone say they are a descendent from a Pirate and that name offends them. It is the same thing. They would have to revoke the name just like they are trying to do to the Redskins.

Every name can offend someone and now the government is taking away one of the main things that makes the US the US. You can create things and get patents and trademarks on them. They can't just decide to revoke something that you created. The Redskins were named after a former coach. 90% of native Americans have no problem with the name. It is not a racial slur. It is honoring someone. If they don't like it, tough ****.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard that the atheists are suing the New Orleans Saints and the Latinos are readying action against the Cleveland Browns.

In a more somber note, Beck thinks the whole deal is political....

Political correctness aside, the Patent Office’s decision could prove to have much broader implications. If a trademark can be revoked because a few people find a team name offensive, what other trademarks or patents can be canceled.

“Think about what’s happening here,” Stu said. “You’re taking away the trademark of a company that’s probably worth two to three billion dollars. Just taking it away, so that anyone can use it for any reason… And all you need to say is you think it’s disparaging.”

“Why can’t they do that with Exxon… and anything that Exxon has ever pioneered,” Glenn asked. “Why can’t the president just say, ‘You know what? It’s in the interest of the United States government and the United States of America that we take all their patents.’ You just cripple the country.”

Ultimately, as Glenn explained, this debate all boils down to one thing: Freedom.

“Look at what they’ve done. This is a freedom story,” Glenn concluded. “On Friday, the dog ate our homework [at the IRS]. Baghdad is on fire. And look at what they’re doing. It’s all about watching the other hand. It’s really dangerous… You tell me we’re still living in America.”

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
pretty sure if my last name were Brown, that I'd be vehemently petitioning to have the NFL franchise lose it's TM.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
And the resident board "that's racists" representative just keeps going. Talk about going to the extremes... Washington Darkies? Kansas City Retards? Neither of these are even remotely CLOSE to Redskins. The Government didn't HAVE to get involved. They were pressured to get involved by a SMALL group of offended people. We are starting to cater to that small groups that get offended by the tiniest little things and it's getting out of hand.

This is how today's world works now. You have 98 people that like pizza, 2 people that are offended by pizza. The government decides that we can't have these people offended by pizza so they get involved. Now everyone is afraid to let people know that they like pizza. The media jumps on the story stating that they've always hated pizza and it's about time the government got involved to rid this world of the evil pizza. Now no one can have pizza.

You saw this very thing with the Michael Sam situation. We MUST accept gay people, fine no problem. But don't say ANYTHING about how YOU can't understand how there are gay people or that you don't agree with being gay... now you are the outcast, you have to issue apologies, you have to take down tweets or instagrams, or whatever media you chose to use to air YOUR opinions. There's no more freedom of speech, there are no civil rights. It's all political correct bullshit.

Are you offended by the name Redskins? Are you allowing a word hurt your feelings? Grow a pair and deal with that instead of falling in line with the "everything must change so I'm not offended" crowd.

Extremes? Who in the world are you to say that the word retard or darkie or kike or guido is any more offensive than the word Redskin? What gives you the right to say 'Hey man, dont get YOUR feelings hurt- its not that bad"? Of course the natives dont have a large voice in this country, but lets take a moment to think about why that is the the case... Also, you say its a small group of people, but large enough to put this commercial on air during the superbowl and NBA Finals:

Second- this is nothing like the Michael Sam story. There are plenty of gay executives that have been happy to continue with the gay narrative- enough that they can ruin your career if you speak poorly against it. Last time I checked, aint a whole lot of native's in the boardroom. The fact that they have actively been fighting this since late 1990 shows me that this is far different situation than someone making fun of Michael Sam.

Lastly, bro- no one is taking away your civil liberty of using the word. You dont think its that offensive? Cool, you can use it till your heart is content. Hell, I am pretty sure you can even call me a Darkie or the N word and no one would take you jail. So what freedom's are you missing out on? Like I said- Snyder can still use the name- but the US will not provide protection to a name that is considered offensive.

Try this situation on for size- "Why wouldnt you be cool with the KC Retards? I mean, its a small group of people, who most likely is quiet on the subject matter! Is it really all that offensive? Why cant wont the US grant me patent protection for this name! Damn PC libs are taking everything away!"

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
I'd like the NAACP to lose their trademark. "Colored people" is outdated and offensive.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
We need to stomp out the PC crowd like a cancer. Put them in their own padded room where they can sue each other over stupid **** and complain.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I'd like the NAACP to lose their trademark. "Colored people" is outdated and offensive.

General Motors is offensive to me. Took all that taxpayer money and still build ****** cars.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Same thing happened 15 years ago...nuthin'.

15 years ago their was a paperwork filing issue, that error has since been corrected. That is the main reason it escalated.

From what i understand, Many many teams will be under the microscope if they indeed get the Skins to change Logo and Name. All but Florida State will be in jeopardy. FSU already received permissions from the Seminole Nation. They have gotten other teams also.... Fighing was dropped from Fighting Irish and Fighting Ilini, Syracuse from Orangemen to Orange, and the St. Johh's Redmen to Red to Red Storm.

I agree with many, this PC bullshit is going way to far, look hard enough you can find someone who is offended by every team name.

Heard a knew one, Religious folks upset about ASU and dook using Devils in their name. Hell, Yankees could offend some folks.

Here is a list of Colleges that have already made changes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_nickname_changes_in_the_United_States