• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Redskins lose their trademark

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Beck was spot on last night on this issue and on his prediction from 2011 about the middle east. That same prediction that Chris Matthews and other far left loons were laughing and making fun of him about. Sucks that it is coming true but the terrorists are real close to having their own state and Obama won't do a damn thing about it. They will be back on our soil attacking us in the near future - definitely within 2 years of Obama leaving office.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
United Negro College Fund

Wheres' the United Whitey College Fund?

disparaging. racist.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Extremes? Who in the world are you to say that the word retard or darkie or kike or guido is any more offensive than the word Redskin? What gives you the right to say 'Hey man, dont get YOUR feelings hurt- its not that bad"? Of course the natives dont have a large voice in this country, but lets take a moment to think about why that is the the case... Also, you say its a small group of people, but large enough to put this commercial on air during the superbowl and NBA Finals:

Second- this is nothing like the Michael Sam story. There are plenty of gay executives that have been happy to continue with the gay narrative- enough that they can ruin your career if you speak poorly against it. Last time I checked, aint a whole lot of native's in the boardroom. The fact that they have actively been fighting this since late 1990 shows me that this is far different situation than someone making fun of Michael Sam.

Lastly, bro- no one is taking away your civil liberty of using the word. You dont think its that offensive? Cool, you can use it till your heart is content. Hell, I am pretty sure you can even call me a Darkie or the N word and no one would take you jail. So what freedom's are you missing out on? Like I said- Snyder can still use the name- but the US will not provide protection to a name that is considered offensive.

Try this situation on for size- "Why wouldnt you be cool with the KC Retards? I mean, its a small group of people, who most likely is quiet on the subject matter! Is it really all that offensive? Why cant wont the US grant me patent protection for this name! Damn PC libs are taking everything away!"

Again, taking it to the extremes. But it's what YOU do when race is involved. I mean, who are YOU to decide what's offensive to other people? You are no different than I am. Somehow your opinion is weighted more than mine because of the color of your skin? Get the **** out of here. You are also not seeing the larger picture I was painting. You will probably never understand because these things offend you. We are giving trophy's to kids for just showing up, not keeping score in baseball/basketball/soccer games. You can't spank your kids, you can't do this you can't do that because you MIGHT offend someone. **** THAT. There are bigger things to worry about in this world.

Your situation is nothing like what's going on here, or anything like what I said. I don't give a rats *** about Snyder, I couldn't care less if he keeps the name or changes the name... But it should be his CHOICE. It's his property, he owns it. He has the trademarks (still in effect while they appeal this bullshit). You think it's all about money for Snyder and he doesn't care, but somehow think the other side isn't using this as a publicity stunt. Every time they do this, they gain more followers because people can't decide for themselves, they need CNN, FoxNews, ESPN, TMZ, etc to make it up for them.

You think a commercial during the superbowl is difficult? Doesn't take a large group, it just takes a lot of money.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
I heard that the atheists are suing the New Orleans Saints and the Latinos are readying action against the Cleveland Browns.

In a more somber note, Beck thinks the whole deal is political....

BMTI.....another squirrel

Extremes? Who in the world are you to say that the word retard or darkie or kike or guido is any more offensive than the word Redskin? What gives you the right to say 'Hey man, dont get YOUR feelings hurt- its not that bad"? Of course the natives dont have a large voice in this country, but lets take a moment to think about why that is the the case... Also, you say its a small group of people, but large enough to put this commercial on air during the superbowl and NBA Finals:

Second- this is nothing like the Michael Sam story. There are plenty of gay executives that have been happy to continue with the gay narrative- enough that they can ruin your career if you speak poorly against it. Last time I checked, aint a whole lot of native's in the boardroom. The fact that they have actively been fighting this since late 1990 shows me that this is far different situation than someone making fun of Michael Sam.

Lastly, bro- no one is taking away your civil liberty of using the word. You dont think its that offensive? Cool, you can use it till your heart is content. Hell, I am pretty sure you can even call me a Darkie or the N word and no one would take you jail. So what freedom's are you missing out on? Like I said- Snyder can still use the name- but the US will not provide protection to a name that is considered offensive.

Try this situation on for size- "Why wouldnt you be cool with the KC Retards? I mean, its a small group of people, who most likely is quiet on the subject matter! Is it really all that offensive? Why cant wont the US grant me patent protection for this name! Damn PC libs are taking everything away!"

Red herring (hope that's not offensive).....mental retardation is a disability. Being a race is not.

I'd like the NAACP to lose their trademark. "Colored people" is outdated and offensive.

I think that Cracker Barrel's trademark should be revoked.

We so need a karma button.

15 years ago their was a paperwork filing issue, that error has since been corrected. That is the main reason it escalated.

From what i understand, Many many teams will be under the microscope if they indeed get the Skins to change Logo and Name. All but Florida State will be in jeopardy. FSU already received permissions from the Seminole Nation. They have gotten other teams also.... Fighing was dropped from Fighting Irish and Fighting Ilini, Syracuse from Orangemen to Orange, and the St. Johh's Redmen to Red to Red Storm.

I agree with many, this PC bullshit is going way to far, look hard enough you can find someone who is offended by every team name.

Heard a knew one, Religious folks upset about ASU and dook using Devils in their name. Hell, Yankees could offend some folks.

Here is a list of Colleges that have already made changes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_nickname_changes_in_the_United_States

Ridiculous .....living near IUP (INDIANA Univ. of Pa.) I watched incredulosuly as their teams formerly known as the Indians became the Crimson Hawks.....despite being located in INDIANa, the seat of INDIANa County located along the Great Shamokin Path, at one time one of the most major trade and migration routes of local indian tribes.

United Negro College Fund

Wheres' the United Whitey College Fund?

disparaging. racist.

Or the Congressional white caucus. Yeah, yeah, 400 years, blah, blah......

Maybe all these offended people will feel better when any and all references to them, their heritage and their history is completely eradicated and they are forgotten.

Last edited:

Southern Steeler

Reaction score
If Snyder holds his ground all of this will blow over and be forgotten when the next outrage moment pops up.

The pussification of this once great country offends me

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Again, taking it to the extremes. But it's what YOU do when race is involved. I mean, who are YOU to decide what's offensive to other people? You are no different than I am. Somehow your opinion is weighted more than mine because of the color of your skin? Get the **** out of here. You are also not seeing the larger picture I was painting. You will probably never understand because these things offend you. We are giving trophy's to kids for just showing up, not keeping score in baseball/basketball/soccer games. You can't spank your kids, you can't do this you can't do that because you MIGHT offend someone. **** THAT. There are bigger things to worry about in this world.

Your situation is nothing like what's going on here, or anything like what I said. I don't give a rats *** about Snyder, I couldn't care less if he keeps the name or changes the name... But it should be his CHOICE. It's his property, he owns it. He has the trademarks (still in effect while they appeal this bullshit). You think it's all about money for Snyder and he doesn't care, but somehow think the other side isn't using this as a publicity stunt. Every time they do this, they gain more followers because people can't decide for themselves, they need CNN, FoxNews, ESPN, TMZ, etc to make it up for them.

You think a commercial during the superbowl is difficult? Doesn't take a large group, it just takes a lot of money.

Lol You are all over the place my man. Trophies? Spankings? What in the f...? lol lol

Who am I to say what is offensive? I can't! I cant say **** as to what is offensive to a Native American. But who in the hell are you to say whats not offensive?! Cause obviously there is a large enough contingency of people offended by the term b/c its started making waves in congress.

Once again, Snyder does not have to change the name- even after his BS appeal is shot down. My question to you is, why do you feel that the US should provide patent protection for a team name, if said name offends a certain group? Is it because, you dont feel that its offensive? Are you simply mad b/c the other side is using it as a publicity stunt?

Point blank, it is an outdated and if anything, slightly offensive term for a group of people. Please, just give me one legal or ethical reason why our tax dollars should be used to provide patent protection to this name?

Last edited:

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
Lol You are all over the place my man. Trophies? Spankings? What in the f...? lol lol

Who am I to say what is offensive? I can't! I cant say **** as to what is offensive to a Native American. But who in the hell are you to say whats not offensive?! Cause obviously there is a large enough contingency of people offended by the term b/c its started making waves in congress.

Once again, Snyder does not have to change the name- even after his BS appeal is shot down. My question to you is, why do you feel that the US should provide patent protection for a team name, if said name offends a certain group? Is it because, you dont feel that its offensive? Are you simply mad b/c the other side is using it as a publicity stunt?

Point blank, it is an outdated and if anything, slightly offensive term for a group of people. Please, just give me one legal or ethical reason why our tax dollars should be used to provide patent protection to this name?

Why do you feel that the US should pick and choose what is and is not offensive. Other business' with offensive names are allowed (United Negro College Fund, NAACP) why does the government get to decide? If Snyder attempted to switch the team to the 'Washington Colored People' I bet it wouldn't be allowed. Free market should decide these things, not Uncle Sam.

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Everybody is a victim now, the name hasn't bothered anybody for 45 years now it's hurting peoples feelings. How many times have you heard someone call a Indian a Redskin, give me a damn break.

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
Shall we put this into perspective? For those Liberal whack-jobs that think being politically correct makes the world a better place, I present to you the 'slippery slope' argument.

Washington "Redskins", offensive because the word derogates the Indian by pointing him out by the color of his skin.

Were ye liberals aware of the origin of the name of the US State, Oklahoma?

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Oklahoma/Oklahomanameorigin.html#.U6IrmPsvbr0.facebook

"Oklahoma is based on Choctaw Indian words which translate as red people (okla meaning "people" and humma meaning "red"). Recorded history for the name "Oklahoma" began with Spanish explorer Coronado in 1541 on his quest for the "Lost City of Gold." Oklahoma became the 46th state on November 16, 1907."

Certainly, if the USPTO believes that Redskins is derogatory, then and therefore, the State of Oklahoma must change it's name...right?

Certainly, the rational man must admit that red skin and red man are, in fact, synonymous?

Hineswardkickedurpanzyass

Reaction score
I knew all those MF ers from Oklahoma were racists! I mean they voted 67% for Romney. Change the name, change the name, change the name. Where can I sign a petition?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score

I should have known the point would blow over your one track mind...

We'll just deal with the one topic superficially, and not how it plays into the grand scheme of where this world is headed from situations like this.

Ed said it quite well, why does the government get to choose? The job of the patent protection is to protect the patents themselves. Not to pick and choose. Again the patent has been held for 47 years.

Your personal issue with Snyder is also questionable. He bought the team as it was, he didn't name it.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
As a gentleman of Irish heritage, I'd like to sue Notre Dame. The notion that my lineage makes me predisposed to violence is offensive to me.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Well there is also the Red Mesa High School in Teec Nos Pos, Arizona. The school enrollment is 98% Native American. Their mascot? Redskins.

I still think the "outrage" is contrived by a bunch of non-Native Americans.

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score
I knew all those MF ers from Oklahoma were racists! I mean they voted 67% for Romney. Change the name, change the name, change the name. Where can I sign a petition?

That's nothing Pennyslvania racists get two for one. These beans from Hannover PA. offend hispanics just for being beans,
and then they have the nerve to insult natives and Dan Synder as a bonus.

Hanover%20Dark%20Red%20Kidney%20Beans.jpg

I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK!....errr...I WANT MY RACIST NFL TEAM NAME BACK!

Stewey

Reaction score
Shall we put this into perspective? For those Liberal whack-jobs that think being politically correct makes the world a better place, I present to you the 'slippery slope' argument.

Washington "Redskins", offensive because the word derogates the Indian by pointing him out by the color of his skin.

Were ye liberals aware of the origin of the name of the US State, Oklahoma?

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Oklahoma/Oklahomanameorigin.html#.U6IrmPsvbr0.facebook

"Oklahoma is based on Choctaw Indian words which translate as red people (okla meaning "people" and humma meaning "red"). Recorded history for the name "Oklahoma" began with Spanish explorer Coronado in 1541 on his quest for the "Lost City of Gold." Oklahoma became the 46th state on November 16, 1907."

Certainly, if the USPTO believes that Redskins is derogatory, then and therefore, the State of Oklahoma must change it's name...right?

Certainly, the rational man must admit that red skin and red man are, in fact, synonymous?

Eh... Theres nothing derogatoty by saying "black man" or "white man", they are said all the time.. Calling someone a "blackskin" just doesn't sit right though.

If the Redskins never existed, and say an NFL expansion team wanted to call itself the "Redskins", does anyone really think it would fly?
I'm sure it would be met with harsh disapproval.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Its smoke and mirrors meant to distract the plebeians. And its working like a champ.

Southern Steeler

Reaction score
I still think the "outrage" is contrived by a bunch of non-Native Americans.

Thing is.....every time there is "outrage" I have never one time known someone who was actually outraged about whatever the topic was at that moment. Never.

People I know are entirely too busy trying to pay their bills and keep their kids in line to be outraged over anything (except maybe the government sticking its nose in their life further)

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
So what are the sportscasters/journalists out there who now refuse to say "Redskins" going to call the Redskins when talking about the team? Just say "the Washington DC football team?" It's so damn stupid.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Thing is.....every time there is "outrage" I have never one time known someone who was actually outraged about whatever the topic was at that moment. Never.

People I know are entirely too busy trying to pay their bills and keep their kids in line to be outraged over anything (except maybe the government sticking its nose in their life further)

Same here. We may discuss it as a news item, but that is about what it is. Something people saw on the news. The average person is indifferent. Like you said-most people have bigger fish to fry. This is just some contrived nonsense. Somehow, I doubt Native Americans as a whole are really all that upset. These days, people are far too happy to be offended for you.

Is the term offensive? Hell I don't know. For every article I find about people finding it derogatory, I find information where Natives refer to themselves as redskins. I am just waiting for Harry Reid to tell me how to feel.

Stewey

Reaction score

So true. The majority is being ruled by a minority of looney leftitsts. The liberal infested media, Hollywood, and acedemia gives the illusion that they speak for the majority in this country.

Buster

Reaction score

KARMA AND MORE KARMA!!!

I look forward to Bob Costas' opinion on this subject

I am looking forward to Bob Costas getting his vocal cord snipped.