• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Redskins lose their trademark

Southern Steeler

Reaction score
I suppose that what I am really puzzled about is why all of these companies or entities overreact to "outrage". History has shown that if you stand your ground that the outraged parties will get bored with it and move on OR be so completely irrelevant to your business that it is comical

See: Chick-Fil-A

I hope Snyder stands firm

Buster

Reaction score
What I love is when someone decides they are offended by something and if you are not offended, you are a hater. You can't tell someone not to be offended, but they can tell you that you should be.
I am not offended by the Redskins name. When I hear the name and see the logo, I do not consider it derogatory...I think of the football team from Washington. If I hear Cubs, I think of the Baseball team from Chicago, not baby bears or what thought process went into naming the team.
If that makes me socially insensitive or politically incorrect, the so be it.

Spike

Reaction score
I have a box of Aunt Jemima pancake mix in my cupboard, does that make me a racist?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a box of Aunt Jemima pancake mix in my cupboard, does that make me a racist?

do you make pancakes with your hood on or off?

Spike

Reaction score
do you make pancakes with your hood on or off?

I use my griddle, not my stove

I refuse to eat Uncle Ben's rice **** - so I'm not insensitive

unclebens.jpg

Rod Farva

Reaction score
As a gentleman of Irish heritage, I'd like to sue Notre Dame. The notion that my lineage makes me predisposed to violence is offensive to me.

Whatever.... you're probably drunk.

I refuse to eat Popeye's chicken on account of they use that black lady with a decidely negro dialect to advertise their stuff.

ark steel

Reaction score
If the Redskins never existed, and say an NFL expansion team wanted to call itself the "Redskins", does anyone really think it would fly?
I'm sure it would be met with harsh disapproval.

I believe it to be the case that it would not be approved if filed for now. However, that is not the case. They already had the trademark and should not have it forceably removed.

When you apply for a trademark, you can have it approved or disapproved for a variety of reasons, I would imagine. When you have one, it, IMO, should be yours.

As I said earlier and Ed copied, because he is a racist..always trying to steal the opinion of minorities like me, if there was REALLY that much offense, the market would have corrected it. I even showed a fairly simplistic scenario how it could happen. Affect Snyder's bottom line sufficiently and the name is gone.

In any event, I think the real issue was hit square on the head by DBS. Distract, Distract, Distract.

ark steel

Reaction score
I am just waiting for Harry Reid to tell me how to feel.

I forgot to tune in to Beck, Rush and Hannity to find out what my opinion is. If they talk about it next week, I will let you know how I feel.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
I refuse to eat Popeye's chicken on account of they use that black lady with a decidely negro dialect to advertise their stuff.

The only thing that will keep me out of Popeyes is heart disease.

Stewey

Reaction score
I believe it to be the case that it would not be approved if filed for now. However, that is not the case. They already had the trademark and should not have it forceably removed.

When you apply for a trademark, you can have it approved or disapproved for a variety of reasons, I would imagine. When you have one, it, IMO, should be yours.

As I said earlier and Ed copied, because he is a racist..always trying to steal the opinion of minorities like me, if there was REALLY that much offense, the market would have corrected it. I even showed a fairly simplistic scenario how it could happen. Affect Snyder's bottom line sufficiently and the name is gone.

In any event, I think the real issue was hit square on the head by DBS. Distract, Distract, Distract.

And thats the only point I'm arguing. I agree with the patent thing.

There are 2 debates here...one on the charges that "Redskins" is racist, the other whether the govt. has the right to rescind a trademark.
While I agree "Redskins" is derogatory, the govt. has no right taking removing a patent in this case...an increasingly intrusive government pisses me off way more.

I dunno man, I abhor liberalism, but I cant get past the fact that if some football team back in the 40's named itself the "Zulus" or "Blackskins" and had a fat lipped black man with a bone through his nose as a logo, that it would still be around today.

(note: the Redskins logo is not derogatory, Im correlating that to the Indians Chief Wahoo logo.)

The problem is the numbers. I don't see a large enough number of Native Americans protesting this. Blacks have the numbers.
But then the argument I heard for that would be "it's a shame that there has to be "numbers" for a wrong to be corrected.".

Hineswardkickedurpanzyass

Reaction score
I had no idea that Snyder was a Hymie, but it does make sense. Thanks for the Onion link, made me laugh at the situation.

And there is no reason to go to a Popeyes if there is a BoJangles anywhere around. Them chicken biscuits are the best.

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score

Really? How long did it take the market to correct segregation?

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score
I had no idea that Snyder was a Hymie, but it does make sense. Thanks for the Onion link, made me laugh at the situation.

And there is no reason to go to a Popeyes if there is a BoJangles anywhere around. Them chicken biscuits are the best.

I'm glad Steeler fans don't use derogatory words, or are racist. They are the model franchise fan base......................

ark steel

Reaction score
Apples and oranges. This has nothing to do with segregation.

You might also ask yourself, you know if you were an actual thinking person, i.e. not a liberal, how is today different than, say, 1900's-1950's?

One might make the case that, in today's world versus the early 1900's, you can now see everything covered 24/7 from all parts of the world. So, if you are a thinking person, you might think that the market moves faster these days than it did in the early 1900's.

Sorry, everything but The Big O's ****-ups are covered 24/7. Although, to be fair, I don't think we have enough channels to cover all of that idiots ****-ups even if they did devote 24 hours a day to it.

You are right, SS, making people ride in the back of the bus, drink from different fountains, go to different restaurants could be determined to be slightly different than a team name.

But you need to CHECK YOUR PRIVELEGE, ************!

ark steel

Reaction score
But then the argument I heard for that would be "it's a shame that there has to be "numbers" for a wrong to be corrected.".

Because if five people are pissed off, who gives a ****?

I don't give a rats *** if every white/brown/yellow person in the country finds the name to be offensive. The only people that really matter to me, in this instance, are the Native Americans. Examples have been given where a team on a Native American reservation was using the name Redskins. I presume the report to be accurate. That may only be a small group, but you have to ask yourself: "As a whole, do the various Native American groups give a damn about this?" If one or two does and they represent a very small minority of the population, does that REALLY make it offensive to the group?"

What if the vast majority of Native Americans couldn't give a rat's *** what you call the sports team, if you would just quit ******* them over on the reservations?

Southern Steeler

Reaction score
From what I have read of the current plight of many Indian reservations....most of them are too drunk to notice, much less care about a football teams moniker

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad Steeler fans don't use derogatory words, or are racist. They are the model franchise fan base......................

Says the hypocrite that freely uses the term teabagger, or are you too dumb to realize that it is a derogatory term?

ark steel

Reaction score
Says the hypocrite that freely uses the term teabagger, or are you too dumb to realize that it is a derogatory term?

I almost put something about that in my post. The 'tolerant' left have no problem throwing around a slur when referring to the Tea Party folks. I would find it quite funny if I wasn't so gol darned offended.

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
I almost put something about that in my post. The 'tolerant' left have no problem throwing around a slur when referring to the Tea Party folks. I would find it quite funny if I wasn't so gol darned offended.