• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Religious Freedom Restoration Act

A private business, owned and operated by individuals, cannot be a public entity. National parks, city-run museums, hospitals... these are examples of entities funded by public (read: taxpayer) funds.

They are privately owned. They are public in that anyone can walk through the door, they don't need permission to enter.

Don't bring down Christianity to the level of Islam.

Well...think of the worst atrocities in history of mankind.
Just about all of them were in the name of religion.

Obviously today, most revolve around Islam.
But let's not kid ourselves. Christianity absolutely has plenty of figurative and literal blood on it's hands.
The Crusades, Witch trials, countless holy wars at the direction of the Vatican and most recently the numerous child abuses from priests.

Millions of people in history have been killed and more millions have been abused directly and specifically because of religion.

This is why I think people attack religion and the perceived hippocracy that surrounds it.

Well...think of the worst atrocities in history of mankind.
Just about all of them were in the name of religion.

Obviously today, most revolve around Islam.
But let's not kid ourselves. Christianity absolutely has plenty of figurative and literal blood on it's hands.
The Crusades, Witch trials, countless holy wars at the direction of the Vatican and most recently the numerous child abuses from priests.

Millions of people in history have been killed and more millions have been abused directly and specifically because of religion.

This is why I think people attack religion and the perceived hippocracy that surrounds it.

Oh my ****** god...I knew it! The Crusades, The KKK!
Aside from the KKK being dead decades ago, it cause was not based religious fanaticism.... and priest molesting children was not in the "name of religion"...has zero to do with Christianity or its teachings.. In Islam it does btw.

Thirdly Obama, the Crusades ended centuries ago....Christianity has evolved from the barbarism of the Dark Ages, Islam still continues to live it.

We are talking about current events here, events that affect our lives.

Last edited:
Oh my ****** god...I knew it! The Crusades, The KKK!
Aside from the KKK being dead decades ago, it cause was not based religious fanaticism.... and priest molesting children was not in the "name of religion"...has zero to do with Christianity or its teachings.. In Islam it does btw.

Thirdly Obama, the Crusades ended centuries ago....Christianity has evolved from the barbarism of the Dark Ages, Islam still continues to live it.

We are talking about current events here, events that affect our lives.

Sir,

I didn't even want to get into this and knew my clarifying post was a mistake...but here I am in the vortex.

So you don't think the fact that the Catholic church covered up the overt sexual abuse of children, shuffled pedophile priests from one parish to another for who knows how long, isn't an indicator that the church itself is completely and utterly corrupt and ****** up? Do you think the lives of those kids are affected today? Do you think they think what happened to them is still "current"?

I realize it wasn't done in the name of Jesus, but they sure hid behind him. And because of that I cannot forgive.

Call me Obama? Nice touch.

I know it's crazy for someone to have a different perspective on life than you.
Critical thinking is dangerous.

And, for the record, I certainly don't defend Islam.

They are privately owned. They are public in that anyone can walk through the door, they don't need permission to enter.

But they DO need "permission" to stay. Usually it is implicit. However, if a store owner asks a person to leave HIS property, he is well within his rights to do so. If they do not, they are trespassing.

2 things. 1. Since the Crusades were brought up, let's really talk about it. What were the Crusades in response to? Do you really think it was mean old Christians picking on innocent Muslims?

2. The Catholic Church does not represent all of Christianity. I have some MAJOR problems with the Catholic Church, it does not in any way/shape/form represent my faith in Christ. It's true, Christians are nowhere near perfect, but that's because we fall short of the glory of God and do not live up to the ideals of His Word (the Bible). Islamic terrorists, on the other hand, are actually the TRUE Muslims, who are doing exactly what their so called holy book instructs them to do. Therein lies the difference.

I understand. My perspective is from someone who went to Catholic school my whole life, was an altar boy and genuinely experienced things that would not be considered christian-like. I'm sure other religions are great.
But I am jaded and frankly don't see the point.

Lol! Quite an interesting way to open your defense of Christianity!

If you had any insight, you would have noticed I used a lower case "g" in god. It just may be that I chose to use a Greek god's name in vain rather than the Christian God.

If you had any insight, you would have noticed I used a lower case "g" in god. It just may be that I chose to use a Greek god's name in vain rather than the Christian God.

Oh, lighten up! Hopefully your god, or God has a better sense of irony than you do.

Irony lol? Point out what you think is irony, and I will tell you that you have no clue what irony is.

Irony lol? Point out what you think is irony, and I will tell you that you have no clue what irony is.

Stewey...
The irony comes from you getting really agitated with my stance on Christianity and God in general but the 1st thing out of our mouth is cursing and referencing "god" . (I know you clarified that you only used the small "g" and the big "G" God was not offended because you did.)

See? That's irony.

something as important as religious freedom (or the freedom to have no religion) should not be reduced to an attempt to treat another group of people poorly.

something as important as religious freedom (or the freedom to have no religion) should not be reduced to an attempt to treat another group of people poorly.

Unless its Christians being forced by the coercive power of government to participate in something that to them makes a total mockery of one of their most sacramental institutions.

Lets get that Jewish tailor shop to sew Waffenamts on Nazi uniforms next.

Unless its Christians being forced by the coercive power of government to participate in something that to them makes a total mockery of one of their most sacramental institutions.

Lets get that Jewish tailor shop to sew Waffenamts on Nazi uniforms next.

Gay bakers will always make you a cake. The discrimination is not in the task, it's when the task is the same but the identity of the customer is the reason for the refusal. They baker isn't performing the marriage. The baker is baking. He bakes all day, everyday until he doesn't like the customer.

And for the gay couple, it's a solemn occasion. Christians didn't invent marriage, they don't own it, and some embrace gay marriage, most recently the Presbyterians. What religion cannot be is a cover for discrimination.

Last edited:
That wasn't a gay baker and the customer wasn't refused, the content was. Surely you see the distinction.

And the pizzeria in Indiana didn't refuse to serve a gay customer they refused to take part in a gay marriage ceremony.

Do they refuse to make cakes for other people whose marriages violate their religious beliefs? How do they know everyone else is engaging in a perfectly valid Christian marriage? Do they make everyone get a note from a clergy member verifying their religious compliance before they'll bake a cake for them?

If not, it's not about their religious beliefs, it's about "Ew, gay people." That is discrimination.

Gay bakers will always make you a cake. The discrimination is not in the task, it's when the task is the same but the identity of the customer is the reason for the refusal. They baker isn't performing the marriage. The baker is baking. He bakes all day, everyday until he doesn't like the customer.

And for the gay couple, it's a solemn occasion. Christians didn't invent marriage, they don't own it, and some embrace gay marriage, most recently the Presbyterians. What religion cannot be is a cover for discrimination.

So what is sacred matters only sometimes and only if it isn't sacred to Christians.....

Do they refuse to make cakes for other people whose marriages violate their religious beliefs? How do they know everyone else is engaging in a perfectly valid Christian marriage? Do they make everyone get a note from a clergy member verifying their religious compliance before they'll bake a cake for them?

If not, it's not about their religious beliefs, it's about "Ew, gay people." That is discrimination.

I don't think they even ask but in this case they were told it was a gay couple. In any event it is their absolute right to discriminate if they choose. They have the same right to free association that the gay couple does.

And the pizzeria in Indiana didn't refuse to serve a gay customer they refused to take part in a gay marriage ceremony.

It didn't even get that far. The pizza shop never refused to cater a gay wedding. They were only asked by a TV reporter if they would, hypothetically.

I don't think they even ask but in this case they were told it was a gay couple. In any event it is their absolute right to discriminate if they choose. They have the same right to free association that the gay couple does.

I don't believe businesses should be able to discriminate on the basis of race or religious beliefs, so we have a fundamental difference of opinion there. Whether homosexuality should be the same protected class is another debate, but I do not believe it is fair or right to allow certain groups of people to be put at huge disadvantages economically and socially simply because they are a minority. The potential for abuse is massive, as we saw in the Jim Crow days. Separate is not equal when you are talking about excluding a relatively small number of people.

Nobody deserves special treatment, but everybody deserves the same chance in life.