• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Religious Freedom Restoration Act

So what is sacred matters only sometimes and only if it isn't sacred to Christians.....

I'm not much for "sacred" things. When Islam wants to run society by their rules it;s called sharia. Do you have a name for it when christians want to do it? Think what you want but this issue has turned and if you want to act poorly in society towards others based on their sexual orientation you will pay a price. The free market of ideas is against you in most places and it won't go back. This is even true of an ever increasing number of religious orders. Will yours be next?

And the pizzeria in Indiana didn't refuse to serve a gay customer they refused to take part in a gay marriage ceremony.

They were never asked to do any such thing. They refused a request never made.

I don't want society ran by any religious views...

I also don't want religious views restricted

if a kid wants to take a bible to school, let him as long as he is not interrupting class preaching

if a business owner wants to give his opinion on holding a reception for a gay wedding in HIS business, let him.. decide for yourself if you want to give him YOUR business because of his views.

I don't believe businesses should be able to discriminate on the basis of race or religious beliefs, so we have a fundamental difference of opinion there. Whether homosexuality should be the same protected class is another debate, but I do not believe it is fair or right to allow certain groups of people to be put at huge disadvantages economically and socially simply because they are a minority. The potential for abuse is massive, as we saw in the Jim Crow days. Separate is not equal when you are talking about excluding a relatively small number of people.

Nobody deserves special treatment, but everybody deserves the same chance in life.

Then you really have no fundamental understanding of freedom. In the Jim Crow days segregation was codified by law and forced by the government. Of course the government has no right to do that but then neither does the government have the right to tell anyone they must associate with anyone else. If one place doesn't want your money then go to another place does want their money.

I don't want society ran by any religious views...

I also don't want religious views restricted

if a kid wants to take a bible to school, let him as long as he is not interrupting class preaching

if a business owner wants to give his opinion on holding a reception for a gay wedding in HIS business, let him.. decide for yourself if you want to give him YOUR business because of his views.

when it's a business open to the public, it serves the whole public. The owner can' tpick and choose who he likes and who he doesn't. this was worked out in 1964

Then you really have no fundamental understanding of freedom. In the Jim Crow days segregation was codified by law and forced by the government. Of course the government has no right to do that but then neither does the government have the right to tell anyone they must associate with anyone else. If one place doesn't want your money then go to another place does want their money.

WeWashForWhitePeople.jpg

We bake for straight people only

Last edited:

And?

That was a bad era in history, but they still had the right to do that if they chose to. I bet there are certain people you will not represent in your legal practice and it is your right to refuse them service.

And?

That was a bad era in history, but they still had the right to do that if they chose to. I bet there are certain people you will not represent in your legal practice and it is your right to refuse them service.

They don't have the right to do that if they choose.

Read Title II of the civil rights act of 1964.

In many places companies do still have the right to do that to gay people. But that just means it's still a bad era in history.

They don't have the right to do that if they choose.

Read Title II of the civil rights act of 1964.

In many places companies do still have the right to do that to gay people. But that just means it's still a bad era in history.

Rights are not subject to votes or legislation. If they were blacks would still be 4/5 of a person and considered chattle like livestock. The parts of the civil rights act that pertain to forcing private businesses to integrate were bad law and probably a factor in continuing racism today.

Rights are not subject to votes or legislation. If they were blacks would still be 4/5 of a person and considered chattle like livestock. The parts of the civil rights act that pertain to forcing private businesses to integrate were bad law and probably a factor in continuing racism today.

You just came out against civil rights for all protected classes. Did I read that right?

You just came out against civil rights for all protected classes. Did I read that right?

No I came out for civil rights and equality before the law and pointed out that blacks were once consider less than human due to a law. There should be no "protected classes" there should simply be equality before the law. The Civil Rights act should have merely stopped governmental segregation and prevented the state governments from forcing segregation laws on the citizens.

No I came out for civil rights and equality before the law and pointed out that blacks were once consider less than human due to a law. There should be no "protected classes" there should simply be equality before the law. The Civil Rights act should have merely stopped governmental segregation and prevented the state governments from forcing segregation laws on the citizens.

Besides the revelation of your age, for which you're protected under the civil rights laws, the protected classes aren't certain races. The classes are Race, Color, Sex, Age, Veteran status, Pregnancy, Familial status, Religion, National Origin, Citizenship, Disability status, and Genetics.

The three-fifths compromise wasn't a law, it was in the Constitution.

I realize what the so called protected classes are I am saying there should not be any. Since when is the Constitution not law? You mean that the document that codifies the rules under which our government supposedly must operate under is just a list of suggestions? Of course that would explain how FedGov Inc gets away with some of the shady underhanded crap it does.

when it's a business open to the public, it serves the whole public. The owner can' tpick and choose who he likes and who he doesn't. this was worked out in 1964

did I say he could restrict them?? I said he could express an opinion on holding a gay reception

I realize what the so called protected classes are I am saying there should not be any. Since when is the Constitution not law? You mean that the document that codifies the rules under which our government supposedly must operate under is just a list of suggestions? Of course that would explain how FedGov Inc gets away with some of the shady underhanded crap it does.

you are free to discriminate in your private life. You cannot discriminate and get a business license from the gov. If you choose to pursue a license to conduct a public commercial enterprise, you play by the rules. When you said you were for civil rights, what are you for?

glad to see you are back to being the dick, counsellor.

Good. Then I can go into a Muslim restaurant and demand bacon.

What no one seems to be bothered with is that Indiana and how many other states felt they needed this type of law in the first place. Pretty sure there is a document somewhere that guarantees that sort of thing.

you are free to discriminate in your private life. You cannot discriminate and get a business license from the gov. If you choose to pursue a license to conduct a public commercial enterprise, you play by the rules. When you said you were for civil rights, what are you for?

I don't need a license for my business so I guess I'm good to discriminate.
Truth is that Burgundy believes everyone has green money and for a while a couple years ago it seemed that his company was doing a lot of business with lesbian couples. Maybe there is a lesbian bar someplace and word spread that we do good work (I'm a contractor of sorts).

Business license...how can then government sell you a license to do something you already have a natural right to do?

What am I for? I am for equality before the law, personal liberty and all natural God given rights. In this case what we are talking about is the individuals right to free association. I have a right to associate with whom ever I please and to disassociate with whom ever I please for any reason. This holds true with my profession and place of business as well. Your rights do not trump mine and visa versa. You have a right to engage in what ever legal commerce you choose. You can't force me to do business with you. If I don't want to accept your custom you can't force me to. You have the right to go down the street to another merchant and I would have no right to stop you from doing so.

Last edited:
Good. Then I can go into a Muslim restaurant and demand bacon.

and they can hand you a menu to say it's not on there. If you go there and order what they serve and they say no to your kind, call me.

What no one seems to be bothered with is that Indiana and how many other states felt they needed this type of law in the first place. Pretty sure there is a document somewhere that guarantees that sort of thing.

It's the last gasp of the group in power to lord it over someone. Look at the laws passed after every civil rights movement gained momentum. It's the same states and the same groups as it was for miscegenation.